THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Trade Cam Erving to KC for 5th Round Pick

USFBrown

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Thought it might be the other way around:  that they could trade Haden for a pick and have to let Erving go for nothing.

I would say it is a matter of age.  Someone on KC must think they can "fix"  Erving.

But how often does that happen that they're "fixed"?  Though it does happen frequently a first round pick that totally busts with Team "A" gets to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt he sucks with Team "B".   

MHO is if Erving hadn't been a first round pick- he would have been gone- long ago. 

19 minutes ago, hoorta said:

But how often does that happen that they're "fixed"?  Though it does happen frequently a first round pick that totally busts with Team "A" gets to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt he sucks with Team "B".   

MHO is if Erving hadn't been a first round pick- he would have been gone- long ago. 

Not a first round pick, but Taylor is playing much better here than he was in Miami.

43 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Jim Plunkett?

Just now, hoorta said:

Yeah- what I was inferring- it's a mighty short list. 

We primarily think of QBs.  Positions like Offensive Line don't get as much notice....but I am sure it happens occasionally.  I recall the Browns drafted a guy named Frank Winters.....and let him go after a couple of seasons.  I think he went on to a long career with the Packers, even playing OC for them in their 2 Super Bowls back in the 90s.

After we dumped Big Money Gerard Warren, who defined suckage here, didn't he go on to do OK elsewhere?

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

We primarily think of QBs.  Positions like Offensive Line don't get as much notice....but I am sure it happens occasionally.  I recall the Browns drafted a guy named Frank Winters.....and let him go after a couple of seasons.  I think he went on to a long career with the Packers, even playing OC for them in their 2 Super Bowls back in the 90s.

After we dumped Big Money Gerard Warren, who defined suckage here, didn't he go on to do OK elsewhere?

Yeah, Spare Change went on to have a long and very undistinguished career. Same with Cameron Wimbley- another first round massive underachiever with the Browns. That we could have had Haloti Ngata instead of Cam is just another mistake in the long litany of Browns drafting screw-ups.  Don't get me started on MHO of the all-time screw up. We took Warren with Ladainan Tomlinson still on the board- and I wanted him- bad. 

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, Spare Change went on to have a long and very undistinguished career. Same with Cameron Wimbley- another first round massive underachiever with the Browns. That we could have had Haloti Ngata instead is just another mistake in the long litany of Browns drafting screw-ups.  Don't get me started on MHO of the all-time screw up. We took Warren with Ladainan Tomlinson still on the board- and I wanted him- bad. 

I guess both of those guys were just "roster fillers"  or "rotation guys" when they left here, no?

Just now, The Gipper said:

I guess both of those guys were just "roster fillers"  or "rotation guys" when they left here, no?

They were pretty much just warm bodies. Reminds me we were clueless as to how to properly utilize Jaball Sheard (though he wasn't a first round pick) - Bill B. figured it out pretty quick. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, Spare Change went on to have a long and very undistinguished career. Same with Cameron Wimbley- another first round massive underachiever with the Browns. That we could have had Haloti Ngata instead of Cam is just another mistake in the long litany of Browns drafting screw-ups.  Don't get me started on MHO of the all-time screw up. We took Warren with Ladainan Tomlinson still on the board- and I wanted him- bad. 

The Browns scouting team was convinced that they were taking Richard Seymour - who had an excellent career - and were shocked when Butch Davis switched gears and told them they were drafting Warren.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

That wasn't Sashi and DePo doing the drafting....   FWIW, here's Cam's pre draft report- dead wrong on the NFL level on almost every count....    

2015 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Cameron Erving

Strengths: Edit: reality in red. :)  
  • Superb athletic skill set for a center
  • Quick interior lineman
  • Strong; can move blockers at the point of attack
  • Weak, Can't move blockers at point of attack
  • Can single-block defensive tackles in pass protection
  • Once in a great while...
  • Very fast to the second level
  • Was never seen on the second level except standing around
  • Agile
  • Plays with excellent technique
  • Pad level
  • Good balance
  • Snaps the ball with good velocity over the quarterback's head
  • Can match up on speed rushers
  • Waves at speed rushers as they go by him unimpeded
  • Anchors well against bull rushers
  • Gets knocked on his ass by bull rushers
  • Effective in double-teams
  • Clueless in that mode
  • Pulls well
  • Um no
  • Makes impact blocks on the second level to spring running backs
  • Never saw that happen
  • Scheme versatile
  • Conditioning
  • Experienced
  • Intelligent
  • Work ethic
  • That only gets you so far if you don't have the talent

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015cerving.php#YIVfDxIFleSIbqA1.99

Able to demonstrate superior pancake skills at any position. Will be the Headwaiter at an IHOP some day.

21 hours ago, hoorta said:
  • Agile... unless wearing pads
  • Plays with excellent no technique
  • Good balance so long as standing still

You left the three biggest deficits unaddressed...

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Thought it might be the other way around:  that they could trade Haden for a pick and have to let Erving go for nothing.

Probably just to disagree with me...

As they say... I believe I had that one.

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

We primarily think of QBs.  Positions like Offensive Line don't get as much notice....but I am sure it happens occasionally.

Biggest OL draft bust of them all, Tony Mandarich, actually played some decent ball for Indy at the end of his career.

Archived