THE BROWNS BOARD

Name that Championship Team

The Gipper

Name the NFL/AFL/AAFC Championship team in each of these questions:

1. Name that one team that won a Championship in the same city it is currently in, but using a different nickname.

2.  Name that NFL team that won 3 Championships in a row.

3. Name that NFL team that has won Championships in 3 different cities.

4. Name the 2 current franchises that have won Championships in a different city, using a different nickname.

5. Name those 4 Championship teams that are now defunct.

6. Name the only franchise that has won a Championship as a member of 2 different leagues.

7. Name that team that won the very first NFL championship game played.

8. Besides the team in Question #3, name the 6 other current franchises have won Championships in other cities.

9. Name the team that has won the most number of Super Bowls.

10. Name that team that has won the most overall Championships.

11. Name the Championship teams that went undefeated and untied in a Championship season.

12. Name that team that has lost the most Championship games combined (SB, NFL/AFL/AAFC)

13. Name that team that has appeared in the most Super Bowl games.

14. A. Name that team that scored the most points in a Pre Super Bowl Championship game.

B. Name that team that scored the most points in a Super Bowl game.

Bonus:  Name that team that will win the next Championship Game.;)

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Check

And also check on your answers to #3, 6, 10, 11, 12 and 14

But really...one at a time? Tsk tsk.

Haha! They were tough questions that needed to be dealt with individually! :lol:

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Check

And also check on your answers to #3, 6, 10, 11, 12 and 14

But really...one at a time? Tsk tsk.

Hey Dutch the barrister has a point here......besides they charge by the hour you know. ;)

Interim Report:   Questions unanswered:

1. Name that team that won a Championship in its current City under a different nickname.

2. Name the two franchises that won a Championship in a different city with a different nickname

5. Name the 4 Championship teams that are now defunct. Hint: all titles won in the 1920s.

7. Name that team that won the very first NFL Championship game.

8. Besides the team in #3 name the 6 teams that won a Championship in a different city than where they are currently located. Hint: includes the two teams referred to in Q# 2.

9. Name the team has won the most Super Bowls? Hint, even so, they do not have half the number of totals titles as the team that is the answer to #10 (previously answered).

12. Name the team that has lost the most Championship games in which they have appeared (NFL/AFL/AAFC/Super Bowl)

Hint: by far the vast majority of their losses came pre Super Bowl.

7. I know that the first NFL Championship was in 1933... and that the '34 Title game was a rematch of that game, and the Giants beat the Bears in what is known as the 'Sneakers Game'. I think the Giants got payback for the loss vs the Bears in the title game in '33. So I'll go with Chicago Bears.

9. Pittsburgh Steelers (6)

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

7. I know that the first NFL Championship was in 1933... and that the '34 Title game was a rematch of that game, and the Giants beat the Bears in what is known as the 'Sneakers Game'. I think the Giants got payback for the loss vs the Bears in the title game in '33. So I'll go with Chicago Bears.

9. Pittsburgh Steelers (6)

Check on both answers.

Interim Report:   Questions unanswered:

1. Name that team that won a Championship in its current City under a different nickname.

Chicago... Won one as the Staleys before becoming da Bears...

2. Name the two franchises that won a Championship in a different city with a different nickname

Pretty sure Detroit Lions are one, but forget the team that moved to Detroit in the early years... from Ohio, I think, where about half the original league resided.

Pretty sure Dallas Texans won an AFL crown before they moved to KC and became the Chiefs...

I know the Houston Oilers won the AFL early in its existence and of course are now the Tennessee (Nashville) Titans.

That's three???

5. Name the 4 Championship teams that are now defunct. Hint: all titles won in the 1920s.

Canton Bulldogs would be one... and I'm sure there was an Akron team as well, but forget the full name.

8. Besides the team in #3 name the 6 teams that won a Championship in a different city than where they are currently located. Hint: includes the two teams referred to in Q# 2.

Rams were team in #3 so: Lions, Chiefs, Colts, Ravens... this question said "teams" not "franchises", plus I think the old Chicago Cardinals won an early NFL title before moving to St. Louis. One more... ???

Also technically the Giants because of their "move" to The Meadowlands... similarly the Patriots (Boston to Foxboro/"New England"?)

12. Name the team that has lost the most Championship games in which they have appeared (NFL/AFL/AAFC/Super Bowl)

WAG... The New York Giants... They lost a pisspot of title games in the early NFL when the Packers and Bears dominated.

Hint: by far the vast majority of their losses came pre Super Bowl.

Because I am doing this from my phone this may not be the greatest way to respond to tours answers but your ago paragraph number one Chicago Staleys is correct.  To Oilers Titans is correct as are the Texans Chiefs but the Lions is not correct wild lions did used to be in Portsmouth Ohio they never won a title there they've only one titles in Detroit 

On 8/30/2017 at 1:11 PM, The Gipper said:

Name the NFL/AFL/AAFC Championship team in each of these questions:

Answers:

1. Name that one team that won a Championship in the same city it is currently in, but using a different nickname.

The Chicago Bears won the 1921 title as the Chicago Staleys...then changed there name.

2.  Name that NFL team that won 3 Championships in a row.

The Green Bay Packers did it twice:  1929/30/31  and 1965/66/67.  (of course, the Browns won 5 in a row....but not all in the NFL)

3. Name that NFL team that has won Championships in 3 different cities.

The Cleveland Rams...1945,  LA Rams 1951, St. Louis Rams 1999  (note: Cardinals have also been in 3 different cities...but never won titles in either St. Louis or Ariz.)

4. Name the 2 current franchises that have won Championships in a different city, using a different nickname.

The Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans  (AFL 1960 and 1961). The Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs 1962 AFL

5. Name those 4 Championship teams that are now defunct.

The Akron Pros, The Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs, The Frankford Yellow Jackets, the Providence Steam Roller.

6. Name the only franchise that has won a Championship as a member of 2 different leagues.

The Cleveland Browns.  AAFC and NFL.   Note:  AFL teams to win titles:  Oilers, Chargers, Bills, Texans/Chiefs...have never won titles as a member of the NFL...they were all AFL members.  Raiders have won NFL title...and they won an AFL title, but lost the Super Bowl.  Texans/Chiefs won both and AFL title...and a Super Bowl...but technically, they were still members of the AFL when they won the 1969 Super Bowl. Former AFL members Broncos and Dolphins won NFL titles but no AFL titles.  Bengals have won neither.

7. Name that team that won the very first NFL championship game played.

The Chicago Bears  defeated the NY Giants in the first NFL title game in 1933

8. Besides the team in Question #3, name the 6 other current franchises have won Championships in other cities.

Colts...in Baltimore.  Raiders in LA.  Cardinals...in Chicago.  Chiefs in Dallas (Texans).  Titans in Houston(Oilers) Chargers in San Diego...and of course the Rams in both Cleveland and St. Louis. 

9. Name the team that has won the most number of Super Bowls.

Pittsburgh Steelers have won 6.

10. Name that team that has won the most overall Championships.

Green Bay Packers have won 13

11. Name the Championship teams that went undefeated and untied in a Championship season.

1948 Cleveland Browns

1972 Miami Dolphins

12. Name that team that has lost the most Championship games combined (SB, NFL/AFL/AAFC)

The NY Giants.  While only losing 1 SB game...they lost 8 NFL title games pre SB...for a total of 9. (I will have to check to see who is in 2d place)

13. Name that team that has appeared in the most Super Bowl games.

New England Patriots  9 times.   5-4 record

14. A. Name that team that scored the most points in a Pre Super Bowl Championship game.

The Chicago Bears beat the Washington Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL title game.  Not only is this the most points ever scored in a Championship game....this is the most points ever scored by an NFL...or AFL/AAFC team in any game, ever.

B. Name that team that scored the most points in a Super Bowl game.

The SF 49ers scored 55 points vs. the Denver Broncos in the 1989 (season) Super Bowl.

Bonus:  Name that team that will win the next Championship Game.;)

This will be a question in my next thread.

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The Chicago Bears beat the Washington Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL title game.  Not only is this the most points ever scored in a Championship game....this is the most points ever scored by an NFL...or AFL/AAFC team in any game, ever.

And how did the Bears do it??? They unveiled their new T-formation.

There's a famous B&W post-game clip of a Bear writing the score on a chalkboard.

Archived