THE BROWNS BOARD

2017's Final Roster Moves: The March to 53...

Tour2ma

2 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

How so?

Mullaney had played very well I thought.   (Better than the likes of Jordan Payton, Higgins, Louis).  Schult played well I thought.  And Stribling and Caldwell I thought both had a chance to stick in the backfield....especially Stribling after Joe Haden let go.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

Down to 65 so far.

Summary:

DIp70HYWsAA9x6W.jpg:large

And from SI:

1:45 p.m. ET: Broncos release RB Stevan Ridley

Stevan Ridley rushed for 51 yards and a touchdown in Denver’s 30–2 (real score) win over Arizona on Thursday, but it wasn’t enough to secure the veteran RB a job, though. He was one of the early running back cuts, along with Detroit’s Matt Asiata and Baltimore’s Bobby Rainey. It’ll be interesting to see how all these dominoes fall. Teams are pretty well-stocked in the backfield by this point, but a few of these names could change a depth chart or two

1:25 p.m. ET: Browns announce 18 transactions, reduce roster to 65 players

Browns DL Karter Schult had a handful of strong preseason games, but the team has plenty of depth at defensive line, especially with sixth-round draft pick Caleb Brantley.

12:40 p.m. ET: Broncos trade OT Ty Sambrailo to Atlanta for a 2018 fifth-round pick

Another of those mid-round picks is on the move, as the Broncos reportedly have sent OT Ty Sambrailo to Atlanta for 2018 fifth-rounder. Not much return on Sambrailo, a ‘15 Round 2 pick, but in line with those aforementioned Tomlinson and Erving moves.

Sambrailo was expected to compete for a starting gig in Denver, both on the left and right sides. He never materialized as hoped, so Atlanta will try to revitalize him as a depth option.

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Mullaney had played very well I thought.   (Better than the likes of Jordan Payton, Higgins, Louis).  Schult played well I thought.  And Stribling and Caldwell I thought both had a chance to stick in the backfield....especially Stribling after Joe Haden let go.

He did. But didn't he get injured?

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Summary:

DIp70HYWsAA9x6W.jpg:large

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Schult played well I thought.  

Agree here Gip..DL Karter Schult showed good pursuit speed with plenty of pre-season tackles..Rest of cuts am cool with..Listed DL but looked to play a lot of spots on DL with late reps..Hope to see Schultz PS..Stribling needs help with Williams press man coverage. But so do a lot of DB's. Stribs will be around on FA board, if nothing better comes around      

Schult was the 3rd best DE on the team imo. Im giving ogbah a break based off what he did last season but he certainly didnt show me much in pre season.

i think schult is further along right now than nassib and ogbah were at this stage last season. And frankly he might have outplayed nassib this pre season. I saw them in there against the same players and schult just looks better. He looks faster and stronger. Nassib's run def technique is still very good but schult is there with him on that....but i think schult is a better pass rusher. If he's not better right now he will be by seasons end if someone picks him up and gives him meaningful reps.

hard to imagine keeping Holmes over schult. But have to trust williams if he was ok with the cut. Perhaps theres some off field stuff they saw in schult....who knows. Promising looking young kid tho. Honestly, he looks better than nassib and ogbah did last year but to be fair....they were getting stood up in hortons homosexual 3-4

21 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Schult was the 3rd best DE on the team imo. Im giving ogbah a break based off what he did last season but he certainly didnt show me much in pre season.

i think schult is further along right now than nassib and ogbah were at this stage last season. And frankly he might have outplayed nassib this pre season. I saw them in there against the same players and schult just looks better. He looks faster and stronger. Nassib's run def technique is still very good but schult is there with him on that....but i think schult is a better pass rusher. If he's not better right now he will be by seasons end if someone picks him up and gives him meaningful reps.

hard to imagine keeping Holmes over schult. But have to trust williams if he was ok with the cut. Perhaps theres some off field stuff they saw in schult....who knows. Promising looking young kid tho. Honestly, he looks better than nassib and ogbah did last year but to be fair....they were getting stood up in hortons homosexual 3-4

Quit it. Nassib is way better 

5:20 p.m. ET: Bears cut WR Victor Cruz

Even with Cameron Meredith being lost for the year to a knee injury, Victor Cruz faced an uphill battle for a roster spot in Chicago. He his 39 receptions for 586 yards last season made for a nice farewell to the Giants, but he hasn’t produced consistent numbers since 2013 (73 receptions, 998 yards). More to the point, fellow free-agent addition Kendall Wright had him blocked from the starting slot gig—Wright might be Chicago’s leading receiver in a Meredith-less season. No point for a rebuilding team like the Bears to hang onto a 30-year-old Cruz as its No. 4 or 5 receiver when a younger guy could fill the job.

5:00 p.m. ET: Browns cut QB Brock Osweiler

Cleveland cut QB Brock Osweiler on Friday, which as one might recall is sort of how this whole thing was supposed to go down back in March, when the Browns traded for him in the first place. When the team announced that trade with Houston, it made sure to highlight the 2018 second-round pick it had acquired. And then, “Cleveland will also acquire Houston’s 2017 sixth-round pick (188th overall) and QB Brock Osweiler for the Browns’ 2017 fourth-round compensatory pick (142nd overall).”

Osweiler, though, impressed the coaching staff—or at least, the front office on the hook for his $18 million salary—enough to sneak into the starting spot come the preseason. But he flopped in two outings, tossing the door wide open for rookie DeShone Kizer to take over. Osweiler probably will land somewhere else. Who knows where, or how long it will take.

The Browns also released guard John Greco and DT Xavier Cooper. The former should draw ample attention on the open market. He started 12 games last year (and has 66 career starts), and he’s healthy again following December Lisfranc surgery.

3:00 p.m. ET: Jets trade Sheldon Richardson to Seahawks for Jermaine Kearse and a second- and seventh-round draft pick

Seattle bolsters their already-tough front seven by adding Sheldon Richardson, and the Jets boost their WR corps, which was depleted after Quincy Enunwa’s season-ending injury.

2:50 p.m. ET: 49ers cut QB Matt Barkley

The 49ers signed Brian Hoyer to be their starter, then made it no secret how excited they were to land Iowa’s C.J. Beathard in the draft. In other words, Matt Barkley’s fate was more or less sealed before Friday, when San Francisco released him. Barkley, who turns 27 next week, could latch on somewhere else as a No. 3 quarterback but the greater likelihood is that he sits until a team suffers an injury and needs depth. Beathard will be the 49ers’ backup, behind Hoyer, after a solid preseason

2:45 p.m. ET: Cardinals release RB Chris Johnson

Has Chris Johnson’s career hit the wall? Perhaps. A long way removed from his 2,000-yard campaign of ‘09, Johnson lost out on the Cardinals’ depth chart this summer to Kerwynn Williams, with David Johnson locked in as the starter. CJ2K rushed for just 95 yards on 25 carries last year.

2:35 p.m. ET: Ravens release RB Lorenzo Taliaferro

Walking proof of the whole “a running back’s shelf life is short” argument, Lorenzo Taliaferro got the axe from Baltimore on Friday. He rushed for four TDs and averaged 14.3 yards per catch as a rookie, but injuries limited him to 14 combined carries in 2015-16. The Ravens entered preseason with a bevy of backfield options. Taliaferro and Rainey felt the squeeze.

Sorry to see John go, but TBH he did not look right in the Week 3 game... looked slow and heavy.

Good to see Gip nailed our backup QB's fate...

Well, our O line looks extremely thin.....zero back up depth.....and 2 starters who havent made it through a season in a long time(if ever ala Tretter)......and no back up tackle(right or left).....very very iffy....

Im expecting us to sign a couple off waivers, as there is no way we head into the season with this group.....or is there?

From what I seen in Preseason, Britt didn't even look like he wanted to play or even try, Did he just come here because nobody ever expects us to do well so if he blows it wont matter? I mean I have not seen him produce much of anything and I watched all 4 games a few times each, (I was bored at work)

9 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Well, our O line looks extremely thin.....zero back up depth.....and 2 starters who havent made it through a season in a long time(if ever ala Tretter)......and no back up tackle(right or left).....very very iffy....

Im expecting us to sign a couple off waivers, as there is no way we head into the season with this group.....or is there?

Quite possible that we pick up someone.

However, in Fabiano we still have a C/OG swingman and in Drango a OG/OT swingman, so could be worse. In the short-term were a starting OT to go down I suspect our remaining starter would be the LT and Drango would get the first shot at filling in at RT.

Rod's just too raw to step in at present, but has promise. Might be an option in the 2nd half of the season...

5 minutes ago, medicineman said:

From what I seen in Preseason, Britt didn't even look like he wanted to play or even try, Did he just come here because nobody ever expects us to do well so if he blows it wont matter? I mean I have not seen him produce much of anything and I watched all 4 games a few times each, (I was bored at work)

Britt has looked like that his entire career.....thats why "some" of us thought it was a pretty questionable signing....especially at double the money we paid Bowe.......

But....we've been told....last year he broke out and will be a veteran leader and 1000 yarder for us......so.....we shall see....(word is that he was average or worse for 8 years due to Jeff Fisher....wink wink)

I still think receiver is just a big ugly inept piss hole right now......not good....

What's interesting is the number of trades still happening. Seems like more than usual...

Richardson for Kearse plus picks being the latest....

1 minute ago, Mudfly said:

Sure...there are a number of them....Britt Collins, Kirksey, Bito, Thomas, Crowe, Taylor, McCourtey, Coquitt.....and probably a few more Im not remembering...

I knew that there were a few.  I guess I should be more selective with my use of these new color combinations the board now provides us.  I should just stick to the earth tones and leave the pinks and purples for satire, sarcasm and irony.

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... but Nassib? Cmon man...

When i saw them in there against the same players schult looked better. Earlier games u could say schult was against 3rd and 4th string but when they were in thete against the same guys...yeah...schult looked a little bit better. Nassib has him on technique a little but schult looks a little bit stronger and def faster. Not so much straight line but def breaks down and changes direction better than nassib. Nassib didnt look bad mind you, i noticed he's gotten stronger....but to me schult looks like a better prospect. 

I wouldnt replace nassib with schult at this point but if i was williams i would havevtried to fond a way to retain the kid. He can play DT easily too so you'd think they would have tried to make him DL depth. But i trust williams obviously if this was his call. 

Archived