THE BROWNS BOARD

Haden ....RELEASED

darren15

12 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

My analysis of Peppers was based on his play, not is school. I can be objective..

I know that is a foreign concept to you

Keep up or be squashed baby tomato.   We are talking about Stribling.   Since you claim to be objective and since you have hardly said word one about this FUM alum....can we take it from you that you don't think too highly of him?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Top 5 CB in the NFL per this fan base, and this board especially. LOL.

Overrated, always has been. 

he's been all pro. was not "overrated" in his first years by any stretch. that's ignorant. He's been injured here and thereand has lost a step, some ability to burst.

" Haden was drafted seventh overall by the Cleveland Browns in the 2010 NFL Draft. He and the Browns agreed to a five-year, $50 million contract on July 31, 2010.[9] Haden started his rookie season as the Browns nickelback, but took the starting spot from a struggling, and injured Eric Wright in Week 11. Haden became the first Browns player since 1968 to intercept a pass in four consecutive games.[10] He finished his rookie season with 64 combined tackles, 6 interceptions and one forced fumble. "

Haden went to the Pro Bowl his rookie season. On December 27, 2013, Haden was selected for his second Pro Bowl. On January 3, 2014, Haden received his first All-Pro selection, making the second team.

24 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Top 5 CB in the NFL per this fan base, and this board especially. LOL.

Overrated, always has been. 

He was a Top 5 CB in his prime.  and not by this board.  Lately though...no.  You are only basing your opinion on the last couple of years.

May be the 2nd best outcome... Good Luck, Joe... hope you get a ring.

1 hour ago, JAFBF said:

I know they're also shopping Cam, and I think someone else...

Brock?

59 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Id question the "passion". The last couple of years he'd sit out for a hangnail. 

Dunno... could have been realism as in he''d come to know that if wasn't in great health he couldn't compete.

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

There is a difference in how confident we are in someone's ability.   Wilson is a rookie with no track record...and we have every right to be skeptical about his capabilities coming of an injury. The others....we have confidence in.

Nah... just another extraneous point raised by you. Very typical in conversations with you...

Don't know if Cleveland players every check these boards. But I for one want to wish Joe GOOD LUCK.. You've been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise black hole of despair as a Long time Browns fan.. Thank you for your commitment to our team and always keeping it classy!

the 2 joes were the only ones to stick by this team year after year while going through the yearly 'rebuilds'. hopefully he'll come back for the obligitory resign and retire as a brown.

and punch sashi in his thin black lips......

54 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

May be the 2nd best outcome... Good Luck, Joe... hope you get a ring.

Brock?

Dunno... could have been realism as in he''d come to know that if wasn't in great health he couldn't compete.

Brock is no secret, that's pretty evident they want to unload him. Don't think it's going to happen, at least not until after the Season starts.

Grossi's saying to expect 5 - 6 new Players on this Roster that are not with the Team now . . . probably need a new thread for that.

19 minutes ago, JAFBF said:

Grossi's saying to expect 5 - 6 new Players on this Roster that are not with the Team now . . . probably need a new thread for that.

How about...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Nah... just another extraneous point raised by you. Very typical in conversations with you...

So...you think that we Browns fans should have equal faith in Howard Wilson's ability to play this game once he recovers from his injury as we do in Joel Bitonio's and Danny Shelton's ability to play this game after they recover from their injuries.  That is what I am hearing out of you. 

Lets see if anyone here agrees with you:    How many of all you all other people out there have equal faith in Howard Wilson's ability to play NFL football...a rookie who has yet to play a down in an NFL game.... as you do in Joel Bitonio's and Danny Shelton's abilities to play NFL football?  

Point is:  when Bitonio comes off injured list he is put in as the Browns starting LG.  When Shelton comes off injury he is put in as Browns starting DT.  When Howard Wilson comes off injured list....he likely is still listed as a 4th string CB...UNTIL he proves he can play.   

Just because you liked him in college and were glad that the Browns took him gives him no gravitas.  He would still have to beat out the likes of Najee Murray, Stribling, Hillary, etc.  All the guys in front of him.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

he's been all pro. was not "overrated" in his first years by any stretch. that's ignorant. He's been injured here and thereand has lost a step, some ability to burst.

" Haden was drafted seventh overall by the Cleveland Browns in the 2010 NFL Draft. He and the Browns agreed to a five-year, $50 million contract on July 31, 2010.[9] Haden started his rookie season as the Browns nickelback, but took the starting spot from a struggling, and injured Eric Wright in Week 11. Haden became the first Browns player since 1968 to intercept a pass in four consecutive games.[10] He finished his rookie season with 64 combined tackles, 6 interceptions and one forced fumble. "

Haden went to the Pro Bowl his rookie season. On December 27, 2013, Haden was selected for his second Pro Bowl. On January 3, 2014, Haden received his first All-Pro selection, making the second team.

1. Haden did not go to the Pro Bowl in his rookie season. You quoted Wikipedia and it was wrong. Here's a list of the Pro Bowl rosters from that year. 

Just for good measure, this is from Haden's bio on ClevelandBrowns.com:

"Pro Bowl Selections (2): 2013, 2014"

2. As you can see above, he went to two Pro Bowls in back to back years - 2013 and 2014. He was injured and 2015 and since then has been garbage. Per PFF analyst Josh Liskiewitz on Twitter - "the past 2 seasons he has given up 72 catches on 110 throws into his coverage, 1059 yards and 10 touchdowns while notching just 3 INTs."

A guy who gives up 15 yards per catch and only successfully defends a pass 35% of the time, yet is costing us $11m this year is what I'd call "overrated". 

11 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

1. Haden did not go to the Pro Bowl in his rookie season. You quoted Wikipedia and it was wrong. Here's a list of the Pro Bowl rosters from that year. 

Just for good measure, this is from Haden's bio on ClevelandBrowns.com:

"Pro Bowl Selections (2): 2013, 2014"

2. As you can see above, he went to two Pro Bowls in back to back years - 2013 and 2014. He was injured and 2015 and since then has been garbage. Per PFF analyst Josh Liskiewitz on Twitter - "the past 2 seasons he has given up 72 catches on 110 throws into his coverage, 1059 yards and 10 touchdowns while notching just 3 INTs."

A guy who gives up 15 yards per catch and only successfully defends a pass 35% of the time, yet is costing us $11m this year is what I'd call "overrated". 

Right, I don't think people are disagreeing on that last point. But to make the claim he's been "Always overrated" like Mike did is just fucking stupid. He may not make the HOF but he had a pretty dominant 3 year stretch

2 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

This would have made more sense if we drafted a lockdown corner in the draft..

But I understand not wanting to pay an oft-injured CB alot of money this season.. He's only 28, he deserves another shot.

Knowing Cleveland's luck, he'll go to a new team and put up a great season..

He's going to get paid by the Browns regardless, the way his contract was written. Hate to see him go, was one of our few first round hits. As was pointed out, his play slipped badly the last couple years. Browns must think they can get better talent when the cuts start coming fast and furious. Another benefit- if you want to call it that- for going 1-15, is we get first dibs to rummage through the scrap heap.

PFF showed that haden was the worst cb on this roster through the entire preseason (28 snaps). I'm not saying my heart does not hurt a little by this, but I think it is now clear that the Browns don't care about contracts. Players are being held accountable. They tried to re-negotiate his contract and he said no, which is his right too. He was being paid like a top cb but he was not playing that way the last two years (mostly due to injuries). Media will assume this was some sort of salary dump, but I really think It came down to if he could play or not at a high level and in the minds of the Browns FO, he did not. I think they ae doing him a huge service by cutting him now then waiting until the weekend. This front office gets a lot of flack for their releasing and signing of players, but they seem to always be doing it with the interest of the player by releasing them with the best chance to find a roster spot, ie Haden, Barnidge (who still does not have a job). They nailed the value on Pryor or Schwartz (who is massively overpayed), and other high priced players who just weren't getting it done. 

As for Ossweiler and Erving, the same will be true for them. They will see If they can get anything on the open market for them. If not, good chance they are released and will be picked up by another team. The browns have to get the roster to 53 at some point. 

Haden was a good player, and it appears that age and injuries caught up with him.

My question to the Browns FO would be, what the hell is Cam "The Turnstile" Erving still doing on the roster?

9 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Steelers are signing him as per Schefter .......that's just great :(

I guess Joe's "love for Cleveland"  would have to be questioned now.  I suspect that a number of suitors may have been out there on him....but if he signs with those asswipes....well, he will have just given a big "Fuck You" to the Browns fans that supported him.  Anywhere but there would have been OK.

1 minute ago, Canton Dawg said:

Haden was a good player, and it appears that age and injuries caught up with him.

My question to the Browns FO would be, what the hell is Cam "The Turnstile" Erving still doing on the roster?

Haden age? I'd sure like to be 28 again. 😀 But "The Turnstile"? I agree- a great mystery. He can't possibly have graded out higher than Joe. Maybe Sashi is getting nibbles on the trade market, though I can't see how. I'll be shocked if he's still on the roster Sunday.

5 minutes ago, hoorta said:

He's going to get paid by the Browns regardless...

Yup... someone will get him cheap... perhaps for the vet minimum... which will offset less than 10% of what we owe him.

1 minute ago, Bigalow80 said:

PFF showed that haden was the worst cb on this roster through the entire preseason (28 snaps). I'm not saying my heart does not hurt a little by this, but I think it is now clear that the Browns don't care about contracts. 

I think they ae doing him a huge service by cutting him now then waiting until the weekend.

This front office gets a lot of flack for their releasing and signing of players, but they seem to always be doing it with the interest of the player by releasing them with the best chance to find a roster spot, ie Haden, Barnidge (who still does not have a job). They nailed the value on Pryor or Schwartz (who is massively overpayed), and other high priced players who just weren't getting it done. 

As for Ossweiler and Erving, the same will be true for them. They will see If they can get anything on the open market for them. If not, good chance they are released and will be picked up by another team. The browns have to get the roster to 53 at some point. 

I did not realize Joe was grading that low.

Definitely did a long time Brown a favor... just as we should if he had no place here.

I hope we are doing as well with the big contracts we are handing out.

Agree on Erving... once you know a player does not have the potential to be in your future plans, you don't hold onto them over a player you still think has a shot at developing, e.g., Rod Johnson.

Not so sure about Brock, but more a case of potential trade value once QBs start going down...

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I guess Joe's "love for Cleveland"  would have to be questioned now.  I suspect that a number of suitors may have been out there on him....but if he signs with those asswipes....well, he will have just given a big "Fuck You" to the Browns fans that supported him.  Anywhere but there would have been OK.

I for one won't hold it against him if he signs with the Steelers. They may be the only contender showing interest. There aren't many that have significant need at CB.

Lesser factor, but there is also the "intel factor"... Williams' D is going to be new to the AFCN.

40 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Steelers are signing him as per Schefter .......that's just great :(

Hasn't cleared waivers yet.

28 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Haden age? I'd sure like to be 28 again. 😀 But "The Turnstile"? I agree- a great mystery. He can't possibly have graded out higher than Joe. Maybe Sashi is getting nibbles on the trade market, though I can't see how. I'll be shocked if he's still on the roster Sunday.

I sure would love to be 28 again, but CB's in the NFL don't age gracefully.

Capture.JPG

54 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Word is they are also shopping the Turnstile. My guess is they cut Haden now as a courtesy to let him land with another team. Erving is young so they probably think they might still be able to con someone into trading for him. I won't be surprised if he is cut sometime between now and the regular season.

I'm a bit sad, especially since I bought a Haden jersey a couple of years ago, but I understand the decision.

50 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I for one won't hold it against him if he signs with the Steelers. They may be the only contender showing interest. There aren't many that have significant need at CB.

Lesser factor, but there is also the "intel factor"... Williams' D is going to be new to the AFCN.

I guess that means we have them worried...if they would pick up a player just for the "intel factor". 

Fair to say?

Archived