THE BROWNS BOARD

The Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread

calfoxwc

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I went to throw away some garbage one morning outside in the blue container the city provided.  It was still pitch black outside.  Open the lid and this big azz raccoon jumps out growling.  Scared the Shi t out of me!😂

I was out hunting armadillos one night with that 20 gauge and a headlamp spotlight when a possum got curious about the light and walked right up to me before hissing real loud. I never knew they had so many sharp looking teeth and that raised the hair up on me real fast before he ran off the other way. I really didn't want to shoot him. I was gettin' after the dillos so they would stop tearing up Granny's flower beds.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Well, you don't catch em, you dig out their hole aways, then reach down in to the end of their hole, and you drag em out of the hole, and then throw em up into the air, and I get to shoot em with my 12 gauge. You good to try it?😎

Can a rabies shot in advance stop rabies if one of those little devils takes a bite?🐗

• Haha 1

heck, no. groundhogs can really be vicious. I'll give Tex some gloves. I have to be the skeet shooter.

I just need a big dumm...I mean, a good brave liberal to feel good about it and be my groundhog slingshot

25 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

heck, no. groundhogs can really be vicious. I'll give Tex some gloves. I have to be the skeet shooter.

I just need a big dumm...I mean, a good brave liberal to feel good about it and be my groundhog slingshot

I tell you the one about the 3 Aggies that went deer hunting? They leased a place to hunt and when the owner dropped each one in turn to fairly close deer stands he told them no matter what don't go off trying to track some of his bigger bucks through the high brush across the front. Sure enough one Aggie spotted a likely Boone & Crockett trophy buck, but it went to his left into some brush. So he got down and went after it and of course, "boom, boom" and down he went. The other two Aggies rushed him to the hospital and a couple of hours later the surgeon walks out shaking his head. They rushed to his side to inquire whether their friend was gonna make it or not. The surgeon said to them, "Well judging from the entrance and exit wounds it looks like he had a really good chance..................................................................if only you boys hadn't field dressed him before you brought him in."    😜🦌

Well after researching a lot I may have to go for a bolt action Marlin XT-22RO LR Black synthetic stock which comes with an already mounted 3-9 X 32 variable scope for $205 plus tax. I had thought maybe the Savage Mark IIF 22LR, but adding scope, rings and rail would have cost more for a similarly accurate rifle. And I already know I can open up the stock to store extra survival "goodies" like the video I posted. Plus the barrel is 1 inch longer than the Mark II.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:56 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

I tell you the one about the 3 Aggies that went deer hunting?🦌

Speaking of which I damn near got me a real trophy buck yesterday. Biggest I have ever seen for a whitetail. This guy was as big as a full grown muscular muledeer and a rack that had to be up there in the record books. Fortunately I was able to slam on the breaks as he darted full speed out of the dark across on the road in front of me and I was just barely able to get around behind him on the paved shoulder without flipping my wife's Outback. If he'd a wrecked the car I was damn sure taking the head to a taxidermist so I could brag to friends that "I just happened to have my 9mm pistol on my hip that day boys". 🤠 It would have been true, but just not the whole truth.🤩

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

An Outback?  You're definetly a liberal.

LOL! That is the official car for the mountains of Colorado. When I told my Republican sister I was getting one last spring she told me hers was coming in the following week (lives in Colorado). Smart sister. Those things are fantastic in heavy snow.

so, just read a neat article about pine. Learn something every day.

Pine needles are diuretic and contain both vitamins A and C.My kindergarten school picture is the first documented evidence of my lifelong love affair with trees, and with pine in particular. My dad once planted a little grove of white pine trees (Pinus strobus) in our backyard. I spent my afternoons playing in their whorled branches, unwittingly collecting resin in my locks while leaning my head against their sturdy trunks. My mom cut out the sticky parts, resulting in a hairstyle that could only be rivaled by the likes of Pippi Longstocking.

There are more than 100 pine species worldwide, and most have recorded medicinal uses. Cultures around the globe have used the needles, inner bark, and resin to treat various ailments. Internally, pine is a traditional remedy for coughs, colds, allergies, and even urinary tract infections. Topically, pine is used to address skin infections and to lessen joint inflammation in arthritic conditions.

Along with its myriad medicinal applications, pine is a source of lumber, food, essential oil, and incense. A few species of pine in North America and a handful in Eurasia yield the familiar edible pine nuts. Pine is indispensable commercially for its lumber and its pulp, which is used to make paper and related products. Many species of pine are considered cornerstone species, playing a central role in their ecological community. Finally, many species are planted ornamentally for their evergreen foliage and winter beauty.
Medicinal Use of Pines

Pine needles: Fresh pine needles and buds, picked in springtime, are sometimes referred to as “pine tops.” These needles are diuretic and contain both vitamins A and C. When boiled in water, the resulting tea can be consumed to treat fevers, coughs, and colds. Pine needle tea is one of the most important historical medicines of the southeastern United States, especially given pines’ abundance in the region. Renowned Alabama herbalist Tommie Bass reported that “the country people used to drink pine top tea every spring and fall to prevent colds.” Bass also used the needles in a steam inhalation to break up tenacious phlegm in the lungs. I combine pine needles with sprigs of fresh thyme (Thymus spp.) and bee balm (Monarda spp.) for this purpose.I enjoy the needles — fresh or dry — as a fragrant and warming wintertime tea. They pair well with cinnamon bark (Cinnamomum verum) and cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum). Pine offers relief in sinus and lung congestion through its stimulating expectorant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory qualities.

Pine bark: The inner bark of the pine tree contains more resin and is more astringent than the needles. Historically, it has been used as an antimicrobial poultice and infused in bathwater for muscle aches and pains. It’s also commonly boiled in water and ingested as a remedy for coughs and colds. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the knotty wood from several species of pine is infused in wine and used for joint pain. I try to reserve the bark for topical applications, since the needles are easy to harvest and more pleasant in taste.

of course, you always have to research for WHICH plants/leaves/pines to use...

" Most pine trees are safe to make pine needle tea. Some varieties of them are poisonous though, like Yew (Taxus), Norfolk Island Pine (Araucana heterophylla) and Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa). So check the variety carefully before picking up any needles. "

I'll be using white pines.

ou can drink it every day or every other day. Avoid drinking too much, however, as it contains 4 to 5 times more vitamin C than orange juice as well as a high amount of vitamin A. Remember, too much of a good thing, including vitamins, can quickly become a bad thing.

14 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

ok, made pine tea. Pretty good, in a strange way, with a tsp of sugar.... not bad at all.

I grew up in Pine tree country (Beaumont, Texas) with multiple pines all around, especially the second house we lived in. They had built the housing area in a former pine forest and left most of the really big ones in place as best they could. However during Hurricane Audrey in 1957, the sound of many of those things whomping the ground when the winds pushed them down was terrifying. But all that said, there is nothing like going into the piney woods of east Texas and just breathing it in. I love the smell of a pine forest. I hope heaven smells that way when I finally get "home".

Oh BTW-here's a really good commemorative rifle from Henry----American made all the way. But it will set you back $903 + tax at my local gun store. I'd rather buy about 2 or 3 other 22LR's instead, but I must admit it's tempting to get that one or the military service commemorative. Problem is I'd probable display them in the library and never shoot 'em.  LOL! 🤩

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/second-amendment-tribute-edition/

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I really want to own a Henry one of these days.

Yep me too cal. I'm seriously giving it consideration for my next savings project because again, it is an ambidextrous rifle so I can easily teach my grandson on it just like the Ruger pistol. The lever action is easy from both sides and the safety is built into the exterior trigger of the rifle by just pulling it back a short distance until it clicks. Trigger can't then be pulled nor can a blow discharge it.  Or just don't lever a round into it until you're ready to shoot. 

I like the Henrys with the octagon barrels. Kind of a throwback that makes them special over others out there. My dad taught me to shoot on my great uncle's old Remington Model 12 octagon barrelled pump action. My uncle had a drawer full of shorts, longs and long rifles of all different brands and I'd just grab a pocketfull and head out to shoot mostly small logs out near the barn. Great times and the kind of which I want my grandson to recall when he gets my age shooting what I leave for him.

BTW those things have a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that these days. The CEO encourages direct email contact with him should anything leave you dissatisfied in any way. I think I will email him and ask if I can pass that "lifetime" guarantee on to my grandson since at 71+ my guarantee will be very time limited.  LOL!

On 11/15/2018 at 3:10 PM, calfoxwc said:

I really want to own a Henry one of these days.

Academy Sports & Outdoors is selling the Henry Golden Boy 22LR with the Octagon barrel for almost the same price I can find the regular Henry Octagon anywhere else. They tell me it's been their everyday price for some time now and it's around $5o less than I have found it anywhere else. Yep, my next savings project starts today with my weekly allowance. Just paid off a 4 X scope for the pistol. Squirrels would be more sporting with that if I ate 'em (which I never have cause rodent seems less appealing than Vietnamese dog was🐕😋). 

Should have enough for the rifle by early spring when the weather turns good.👍

We watched a show about a hiker that got lost on the Appalachian Trail. Found in her sleeping bag two years later. I went and found the article - really tragic. Some people hike, run out of water, and leave the trail to try to find a creek, or maybe a lake they see in the far distance. But distance can be badly deceiving. Then you get too exhausted to keep trying for that lake, try to get back to the trail, and can't find the trail.

Or you are fishing, your motor stalls, won't run. A huge storm's wind takes you far to the other side of a large wilderness lake.

You don't know how to start a fire, make shelter, purify water, and have no food with you. Not knowing how to keep warm on a suddenly chilly night, could be fatal.

When I was kid, there was a story about two hunters hunting some big public lands in the winter. The one hunter broke his leg in a fall, and hurt his back. Big snow country - the other hunter was sent to go get help. No survival equipment - the hunter that was hurt was hopelessly leaned up against a tree. The other hunter followed their tracks a long, long hike back to the truck - kept calling for help on his cb, help got here. But by the time they got back to the first hunter, he had died from exposure.

I always greatly appreciated Dad teaching me so much about the outdoors all those years.

So, it isn't just "silly stuff" about apocalypses, it could be a hike in a national park, a car breakdown way out in the middle of nowhere, a wrong turn in a fishing boat - going back to camp when you can't find it could be an overnight stay somewhere.

I think I'll look for some new different books on the subject, to add to my library.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/missing-hiker-geraldine-largay-appalachian-trail-maine.html

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

So, it isn't just "silly stuff" about apocalypses, it could be a hike in a national park, a car breakdown way out in the middle of nowhere, a wrong turn in a fishing boat - going back to camp when you can't find it could be an overnight stay somewhere.

Anytime I hike the wilderness I never count on anyone finding me should something happen. I carry enough survival gear, water, protection from rain & overnight cold (it gets cold at night in RMNP even in August) and a stout walking stick that can be easily converted into a splint with cord to tie it on should I break a leg. I also carry the bear horn which can double as an S.O.S. Additionally real outdoorsmen understand that 3 shots fired one or two seconds apart about every 10 minutes or so is a signal someone is in trouble, so I carry plenty of extra rounds for that purpose. Colorado is a bigtime hunting area for deer and elk and most hunters understand that signal. A good topographical map and a compass are an added plus to take along. The compass at a minimum. I do all this even though I have never been lost or even unsure of N-S-E-W. Sense of direction is somehow built into my head and I've never been able to explain it. I just use a compass to confirm it now and again. And if my wife comes along even for short hikes I use her sense of direction which is always 180 degrees off. It's like having a south pole aimed compass. (She won't deny this-she knows it's absolutely true).🌐🗺️🤩 

https://www.hunter-ed.com/michigan/studyGuide/Signaling-for-Help/20102301_700169559/

• Haha 1

And here is a great teaching tool on what NOT to do when shooting. Have a laugh!!🤣 I especially laughed at the guy with the scope too close to his head. You can see it coming for a good 10 seconds, but he sure couldn't. Dummie!😢

So, which is it, you're a great guy, outdoorsman, smart Real American,...

or you are a drunken, stinking politically wingwing apt to emulate Charles Manson family Pres Trump hater ?

Make up yer mind, dammit. It's confusing.🙄

4 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

So, which is it, you're a great guy, outdoorsman, smart Real American,...

or you are a drunken, stinking politically wingwing apt to emulate Charles Manson family Pres Trump hater ?

Make up yer mind, dammit. It's confusing.🙄

The first one and the one who knows a con when I hear and see one. They tell me you first called him a circus barker. He hasn't changed, but he has changed you. I don't get conned easily. I spent too many years on treatment teams that diagnosed people coming in on a daily basis. Many were narcissistic cons just like Trump, but without the inherited wealth. They are actually pretty easy to read.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Anytime I hike the wilderness I never count on anyone finding me should something happen. I carry enough survival gear, water, protection from rain & overnight cold (it gets cold at night in RMNP even in August) and a stout walking stick that can be easily converted into a splint with cord to tie it on should I break a leg. I also carry the bear horn which can double as an S.O.S. Additionally real outdoorsmen understand that 3 shots fired one or two seconds apart about every 10 minutes or so is a signal someone is in trouble, so I carry plenty of extra rounds for that purpose. Colorado is a bigtime hunting area for deer and elk and most hunters understand that signal. A good topographical map and a compass are an added plus to take along. The compass at a minimum. I do all this even though I have never been lost or even unsure of N-S-E-W. Sense of direction is somehow built into my head and I've never been able to explain it. I just use a compass to confirm it now and again. And if my wife comes along even for short hikes I use her sense of direction which is always 180 degrees off. It's like having a south pole aimed compass. (She won't deny this-she knows it's absolutely true).🌐🗺️🤩 

https://www.hunter-ed.com/michigan/studyGuide/Signaling-for-Help/20102301_700169559/

People who don't have the skills to survive outdoors can find themselves hopelessly outdoors. It doesn't take much loss of body temp to be dangerously affected. People who have never been to the outdoors can be in danger. Couples go hiking in a desert area, then start to head back, and they are totally lost. etc etc. Driving after making a wrong turn and the whole family is stuck in a nowhere place in winter.

Like my story being in Hawaii and going for one last swim while the in-laws and my Wife sat on the beach. I was following a large sea turtle - and unknowingly swam with an ocean current until the bottom of the ocean dropped into nothing. I was accidentally way, way out off the shore of Maui.  I wasn't thinking - just having an amazing quick swim before we left in a half hour. Never thought about sharks until I stopped and swam back diagonally vs the slight ocean current. No problem for me- but there could have been. Just not smart, not aware. At least everybody knew where I was.

Things can happen. Most folks are used to everything being the same old way, you venture out, and some way or another, you're lost...hurt...grabbed by an undertow...people have been grabbed by mountain lions, fall into a whitewater creek after a few miles of hiking to get some pictures, break an ankle/hip...

Btw, I'm sure you have it - the ability to filter water...like "Lifestraw" etc, and make fire. and maybe at least a small first aid kit.In my bug out bag- I'm going to add a couple of bags of organic vegetable pea protein and some kind of lightweight carbs.I know eventually I should find ways to lower the weight of my pack. Two fixed-blade knifes aren't the lightest....

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The first one and the one who knows a con when I hear and see one. They tell me you first called him a circus barker. He hasn't changed, but he has changed you. I don't get conned easily. I spent too many years on treatment teams that diagnosed people coming in on a daily basis. Many were narcissistic cons just like Trump, but without the inherited wealth. They are actually pretty easy to read.

I did. I did call him a circus barker. It's like a pro wrastler - fake personas. There was one, years ago - Pampero firpo something or another. Wild man from some jungle.

Yeah - he was actually a school teacher who spoke several languages fluently. That doesn't mean he's a crappy teacher. Doesn't mean that Pres Trump isn't doing great things for our country. Look at the economy. The good things he is ACTUALLY DOING for America. Two pro-Constitution outstanding Real American Judges. Praise those, don't deny them.

and admit your higgardly and ObaMao did destructive crap. All that money to iran. Pres Trump FIXED that. They traded five? dangerous terrorists for a fraud of a soldier - a traitor/deserter. Now, all five went back to being terrorists.

UNEMPLOYMENT is down, historically, in several categories.. The economy quit booming as much, because the Fed knee jerked again, only with a republican president, by raising the base interest rates. Super low rates of your obaMao, higher rates after Pres Trump got the economy BOOMING.

America first, or we end up last.https://www.bdtonline.com/opinion/columns/it-is-amazing-what-president-trump-has-done-for-the/article_b490090e-0b4b-58fb-a1f3-14ab72f4a776.html

The media won't admit it, but President Trump has had a great 2018 ...

May 31, 2018 - President Donald J. Trump has had a great 2018 but you would not .... This is a president who has accomplished much so far this year, yet you ...
Jun 25, 2018 - President Trump, at a Cabinet meeting last week, finally does have his own ... from the Atlanta Fed is a better estimate of how things are shaping up. ... Trump has already made America pretty darn great again — at least as ...

Cal it's the destruction of our alliances that have kept democracies safe from people like Putin that has always been at the forefront of my concerns with Trump. The fact that he has major conflicts of business interests and that he is a chronic pathological liar who cannot be trusted with the future of this country is what gets to not only me, but of just about every major leader whose ever had high military and diplomatic command. What good is the short term success of an economy if our very existence as a democracy is given away by a con artist?

You have to ask yourself why so many honorable men are suddenly the bad guys because they dare to criticize the competency and/or the conflicts of interest he has. Then you have to ask yourself why you are jumping in there with him to do the same. Are all of these former military leaders, most of whom are very conservative people and patriots all, are suddenly not good people? Are all the former and current persons in intelligence and in the justice department suddenly incapable traitors, even if they are registered Republicans like Mueller?

Before you continue to stay on the Trump bandwagon you have to ask yourself if he is driving it to hell. I and many a good conservative patriots like me believe that he is. The price will be too high to pay in the long run for the short term gains you may see only in the moment. And if he gets rid of Mattis and Kelly there is no longer anyone there to protect the country from the poor, uninformed decisions of this truly ignorant man. And if anyone really believes he "knows more than all the generals", then they are fools who have bought the narcissistic con. This is the man who really believes his own BS about raking forests to save them. That is either pure stupidity or pure insanity, take your pick. He will drive this country into oblivion if left unchecked.

you must like the taste of bs, Tex.

About 584,000 results (0.38 seconds) 

Obama's Military Coup Purges 197 Officers In Five Years | Investor's ...

Oct 29, 2013 - Nine senior commanding generals have been fired by the Obama administration this year, leading to speculation by active and retired ..