THE BROWNS BOARD

The Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread

calfoxwc

5 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

When I was an undergrad we went to the top of the dorm and used surgical tubing tied to holes drilled into opposite sides of the top of a large oil funnel. Two guys would hold the other ends of each strand of the tubing while one would place an underinflated large balloon with about a pint of water tied into it, pull that thing back and hit people down below from about 100 yds or so. You didn't actually have to hit them, that was a bonus. Just a good splat in front would do the trick.😂

• Haha 1

so, just in case we have the world start to end,

it's black rasberry season. I picked about four quarts, more coming.

The blackberries are a huge nature crop this year - they are still mostly green.

Spread the berries out on a cookie tray and freeze them, then bag em into the freezer.

They are too soft to wash, and too soft to divvy up into bags until frozen individually first.

Pies, smoothies, cobbler, jams. You can also make fruit leather. Put em in cereal.

Blend em into french vanilla ice cream. If you ever get lost in the wild, these are actually very good for you.

Even a bit of protein.

Nutrition Facts

Raspberries
Amount Per
1 cup (123 g)

Calories 65
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.8 g 1%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.5 g  
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g  
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 1 mg 0%
Potassium 186 mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5%
Dietary fiber 8 g 32%
Sugar 5 g  
Protein 1.5 g 3%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 53%
Calcium 3% Iron 4%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 6%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Facts

Blackberries
Amount Per
1 cup (144 g)

Calories 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.7 g 1%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.4 g  
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g  
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 1 mg 0%
Potassium 233 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 14 g 4%
Dietary fiber 8 g 32%
Sugar 7 g  
Protein 2 g 4%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 50%
Calcium 4% Iron 4%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 7%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5LcWJijDv

Interesting.

btw, was reading about the soft pulp layer inside of the bark of pine trees. You can eat it - fiber, nutrition, and I wonder if it would

be good with some blackberries or rasberries mushed onto it.....

and, soon I will be getting some wild chickory and dandelion roots to make coffee. We'll see how that works out.

and those fricking burdock weeds. Has medicinal value. might get some roots of those, too.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Pretty confusing about what really happened other than the bear spray was used on the bear but did not work. 

Rule #1 for bears. Don't be messing with their kids or their kill. You then become the appetizer.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sep 18, 2018 - A hunting guide was killed Friday by grizzly bears in the wilderness east of Grand Teton National Park, according to Wyoming wildlife authorities, who said they later located and killed a mother and cub that they believe carried out the attack. ... “So this was a particularly ...

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2018/08/24/grizzly-bear-attacks-10-year-old-boy/37596187/

https://www.adn.com/tag/bear-attacks/

bear attack - Topical coverage at The Spokesman-Review

UPDATED: Thu., June 21, 2018, 5:35 p.m.. Bear researcher attacked by grizzly to stay on career path. A grizzly bear researcher who was attacked by a grizzly ...

PUBLISHED: October 01, 2018, 11:28 am | UPDATED: October 01, 2018, 12:17 ... Reported bear attack in park near Golden didn't happen, wildlife officials say.
Aug 31, 2018 - Grizzly bear biologists with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks captured two adult male grizzly bears in Northwest Montana in August 2018.

Jun 30, 2018
Watch Man camping in the woods attacked by grizzly bear Video Online, on GlobalNews.ca. ... June 30 2018

Sep 17, 2018 - A Wyoming hunting guide was fatally mauled and his client was injured when a pair of grizzly bears attacked them Friday, officials said.
July 10, 2018 | 3:00pm ... A Canadian park ranger fought off and survived a grizzly bear attack — even after the animal chomped down on his head and ripped ...
Sep 1, 2018
While letting his dogs outside in a routine all too familiar Andrew Meunier was attacked by a black bear in ...

this time, bear spray saved the day. I'd carry it every time, too.

is all that better than just the Ammo land link, DH ?

Bear Spray Saves the Day in Yellowstone Bear Attack - Yellowstone ...

Aug 23, 2018 - This is why you carry bear spray when hiking: A Yellowstone bear attack could have been much worse had a family not purchased and used ...

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

And here is the bug out rifle to go with it. My next purchase will either be the Marlin XT or the Savage Mark II 22LR so the ammo matches my Ruger Hunter. I prefer wood over synthetic-just old guy with old fashioned tastes I guess. 🧓 I used to own a Ruger 10/22, but I prefer a bolt action over the shoot 'em up semi-autos. The more time I take with the shot, the more accurate I tend to be. I'll likely stick a rimfire Nikon or Simmons 3X9 variable on it. 

PS-I will have to admit though you can sure carry a lot of survival sh-it in that stock. I may have to rethink the choice of stocks. But I'd only put LR rounds in it to match the Ruger which only fires LRs. Some can be the  subsonic "quite" rounds. I would have to be sure the Ruger can also feed them reliably though. I like interchangability.

so, I went to the grocery store, glanced at the local paper. Check this out.

btw, I once found a 42" copperhead in the mountains of WV, that had been killed by

raccoons. My parents were impressed....

but here in Ohio, about an hour drive away - Tappan Lake. They found a 57" Timber Rattler.

what the...hell.the article I read said that was unusual - it was 100 miles north of their usual northness in Ohio?

what...the....hell? Where there's one, there's more of em?

Okay. I'm going to get a .22 to add to my ccw outdoors list. Three years in my youth, living on 147 beautiful acres farm, way, way out in the country all alone, and though I explored pretty much every inch of it - the only snake I ever saw was a beautiful green snake under some plywood when we first moved there.

57" ??? that is 3 inches shy of being 5 feet. That is 15" longer than the copperhead I found as a kid.

What....the....hell?

57-inch timber rattlesnake found near Tappan Lake - News - Akron ...

1 day ago - The snake was struck by a vehicle on Oct. 24 on Harrison County Road 55 (Deersville ... 57-inch timber rattlesnake found near Tappan Lake .

True story here. When I was 15 I found about a 2 foot copperhead the hard way out at my grandparent's place in the country. He very briefly attached his fangs to my little toe when I was pushing my younger siblings in a tree swing out front of their house. Had to go in and get anti-venom in four places around the bite (guess the MD wanted to be sure). That hurt far worse than the bite if you can imagine a needle stuck in your little toe that many times. My siblings killed the snake for me. Lesson: Don't be going barefoot out in the country even if it is close to a house.

A few years later out in their woods I found a pair mating and shot 'em both. They both measured very close to 3 ft. long each, which is a very mature adult size for copperheads. Sweet revenge with Gramp's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto.💥💥🤩

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Snakes could have been in wood or something else and got trucked up further north.  Hell, they have found alligators in small lakes and ponds in and around Cleveland.  No doubt former 'pets' that got too big and they let them go.  

WV is part of their territory as is most of Ohio if I read this copperhead distribution map right.

Agkistrodon contortrix range.png

One time, at my Mom's old home place up on Fayette Mnt, WV, my cousin and I, about the third grade?..were sitting in their corn crib in some shade, flicking pieces of dried corn to the other side. All of a sudden, a big mouse ran across the corn in between us at high speed. We laughed and then wondered what he was running from. We got the heck out of there, my Dad borrowed Grannie's rifle and shot it - a big copperhead was about 7 feet from where we had been sitting.

But sure, some of these are creatures let go by morons. An alligator is obvious - but not so much a rattlesnake - the are known to be in SW ohio, along with a few? wild boars. Wild animals travel, like the mountain lion that one night just 9 miles out of Cambridge.

Our neighbord was telling me three coyotes ran in our field past him as he hid behind his bee hives, and that he also saw a bobcat.

The outdoors can be unpredictable.

So, last night we went to Lowe's, and I came across a tactical flashlight - 700 lumens. My other two are 320. For 22 bucks on sale.

Lit up the back yard last night, and near our house was a big skunk. Time to do some night hunting.

If Tex wasn't so far away, I'd invite him out to do some groundhog skeet.

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

WV is part of their territory as is most of Ohio if I read this copperhead distribution map right.

Agkistrodon contortrix range.png

There are only three venomous, or poisonous, snakes in Ohio. These are the Eastern timber rattlesnake, northern copperhead, and the massasauga rattlesnake. Every year people claim to see the dangerous water moccasin, also known as cottonmouth, in Ohio's waters.

20 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

There are only three venomous, or poisonous, snakes in Ohio. These are the Eastern timber rattlesnake, northern copperhead, and the massasauga rattlesnake. Every year people claim to see the dangerous water moccasin, also known as cottonmouth, in Ohio's waters.

I can't believe cottonmouths could last up here in the cold. I know that when a buddy and I went wading for frogs out in a swamp on the back of WP AFB, we heard to watch out for the small massasauga rattler. Never saw any, though. I know there are copperheads in Oh, but the Timber rattler thing just shocks me.

I'm really starting to wonder what the hell is actually out in our 2 acre wetlands area out back. Here in town, I found this last year:

milksnake1.jpgit was a harmless milk snake. I was wondering if it would grow up to be a boa constrictor or something lol. But Fish and Wildlife expert looked at the pic I sent, and she said it was a milk snake for sure. So, I let it go in our woods.

Check this out:

http://oplin.org/snake/fact pages/rattlesnake_e_mass/rattlesnake_e_mass.html

massasauga.jpg

Sure, I knew the little (milk) snake I caught didn't have rattles. But the second pic is a Massasauga rattlesnake.

Egad. Mebbe I need snake boots when I go out to explore the wetlands out back when it dries up......

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Lit up the back yard last night, and near our house was a big skunk. Time to do some night hunting.

If Tex wasn't so far away, I'd invite him out to do some groundhog skeet.

Two things. My daughter called me up about 2 months ago asking me to come get the kids some clothes from her they had just washed and take them to school. The two dogs they have had discovered a skunk, got sprayed and then stunk up the whole house. They were trying to clean up the dogs with remedies found on the internet and opening the doors & windows the house to get the smell out. Shortly after the kids went to school the school called asking them to bring them cleaner clothes because they smelled like skunks. Eventually they had pest control come out with "live" traps to catch them and relocate them. They also had to spray the yard because apparently skunks leave a scent to tell other skunks that this is a safe place to live. Never knew that.

Second, how do you catch those little groundhogs anyway. I've heard of long range prairie dog plinkin', but not groundhog tossing for skeet practice. Do you use a shotgun or is it more sporting to use a 22?😂