THE BROWNS BOARD

The Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread

calfoxwc

ah. Never fired a .357.... .have fired a 40 or was it a .45. I think it was one of the latter that seems like it was a

cannon going off... after having a black bear step on our tent near our heads in N. Ontario on our hs graduation...

we had our food tied up 12' off the ground and 10 yards away, all we had was my hunting knife, like that would have

done us much good if that bear had decided to rip the tent and us apart. Tent camping in Yellowstone doesn't seem

like a good idea. I think we should rent/buy a camper for that trip.

On 9/15/2017 at 5:12 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

Your usual personal defense rounds like 9 and 45 don't penetrate enough to get through to the vitals on a grizzly. That is why those guys carry long arms or revolvers in nothing smaller than .357. We visited my buddy Neil who moved to Alaska. The locals gave us the run down before a camping trip.

This  ^

And use the deep penetration rounds such as my favorite: The copper jacket takes it in further than most, but is built to peel back and mushroom in critical areas. And a .357 makes a hell of a lot more noise going off than any dinky .40 or .45.

Image result for deep penetration .357 rounds

• 3 weeks later...

interesting. I'll have to check into making bread in the wilderness. Plenty of grass grains, etc. Not sure I would leave the

little camp shelter so open. Some crabbapple or hawthorn branches most of the way around would seem to be

a lot safer. and a gun. Probably a common location for this outing, meaning bears etc would tend to avoid the area. hopefully.

far more experienced: mentions my childhood favorite wilderness food - cattails, learned it from my

very own Herter's catalogue Canadian Indian Guide book.

Cal-In the first video I laughed when the first thing she did was walk away from her backpack full of food sitting on the ground. Rule #1 is carry a rope to hoist it into a tree if you're leaving it while scouting. She already screwed up but I'll finish watching anyway because it looks interesting. And if she's going to use a knife as her only defense along with bear spray then she better rig it up on a sturdy limb of some kind like spear to at least have a shot at poking an eye or two out from at least a short distance if the bear spray does nothing. LOL!

Edit #1: 20 min. in and this girl is a novice. Leaves her food out again while she uses the bear bag to get river sand. And then she hangs it in an unsound tree that she could have checked out before hanging it up. But at least she likes to bathe in the river a lot for entertainment value. Too bad they cover her with the Canadian flag icon though. :wub:

Edit #2: Not a Cajun dat fo sur. Suck dem heads o da crawfishes girl!:D

Edit#3: Nice little speckled trout she got. Best eating ones I ever caught were Native Cutthroat trout up the Poudre River in Redfeather Lakes area WNW of Ft. Collins. Nothing like fresh trout cooked on a spit over an open fire. I caught 'em in early spring just after the ice broke and had my limit in about 15 min. Ate a bunch and took a bunch home at the end of my trip. Those were the days!

PS-if you take a stringer with you you can keep them alive for quite a while in the water and eat them fresh whenever you get hungry. Or clean them and put them on ice in your beer cooler. LOL!:P

Edit#4-thanks for the video cal. Overall she did fine with a few novice mistakes early in. I'll watch the others as I have time.

PS-I laughed at myself as I watched her use rocks to bake her bread close to the fire. I got in a heap of trouble with the old man as a kid when I swore up and down that Indians ate rocks because I read it in Boys Life magazine. When we got home from the 15 minute argument he made me find the article and there was the picture of the Indians with rocks in their pot boiling away. What I had failed to do was read that they had heated the rocks in the fire and then thrown them in the pot of water so it reaches a quick boil. That earned me a knot on my head for not reading it. So the lesson never forgotten is that if you have a fire going keep a stack of some clean rocks in it and throw them in a container of water whenever you need it if you want hot water really fast. And read instructions carefully or you may get a knot on the head.!:lol:

• Haha 1

LOL ! Yes, she was a book learned? novice? Great points, TexAg. She went to a bit of smart to go make her oatmeal?

away from her campsite. A bear has a very keen sense of smell, can smell stuff from well over a mile away....

Not sure if bears eat oatmeal, whatever it was. But later, she cooks her FISH right next

to her camp over the fire ! LOL  She didn't think of moving a bit of her fire well away from her camp, and cook the fish THERE.

all that dead bark around, and she never banked her fire and laid a piece of bark over it.... and camping near widowmakers,

not good. But it was interesting. Wonder how she wore that Canadian flag while bathing in the river. :)

Bears will eat any damn thing they find. I was at an outdoor lecture on black bears in RMNP outside Estes Park with my grandkids. The speaker said when they are even 20 miles downwind they can pick up on a carcass and backtrack the smell to the source like buzzards do. This article says their sense of smell is something like 7 times better than a bloodhound. That is just unreal and explains why you never keep or cook food near your sleeping area in bear country. Biggest black bear I ever saw was crossing the road to the far west side of Estes Park on his way to the city dump.

https://sectionhiker.com/bears_sense_of_smell/

Yeah during the film I was thinking of converting to Canadian so I could go hoist the flag. At this age it's just a rich fantasy life.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theblaze.com/podcasts/listen-north-koreas-doomsday-weapon-the-mainstream-media-never-talks-about/

what if we WERE hit with an EMP weapon? and most of our entire grid went out? no electricity in cities? no water running? no electric heat, nor gas heat for long....no refrigeration after a few days? No grocery stores open?

I suppose cell phones wouldn't work. cars won't start, etc etc etc. Reminds me to look into a solar jobbie for the fireplace insert fan...I think I'll go squirrel hunting in the morning. and I just went and got my ccw license renewed - really easy - they fingerprint again, take a new pic again, and replace your license after a background check again... I'm good for another 5 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Came across this article about an old black bear attack - 356 lbs? Knowing that a bear expert told us that

a grizzly wants to make sure you are no threat, and tear you up until...

a black bear probably wants to have you for dinner, or protect cubs...

young lady attacked in her tent - and I remember a bear stepping on our tent in the middle of the night in Canada.

egad.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/az-mt-lemon-bear-attack-details-from-1996/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=068c58cbfc-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-068c58cbfc-20770865#axzz51vYsxseM

• 4 weeks later...

came across this - the author researched and found several stories, with links, about bear attacks and bear spray/pistols of various calibers.

Pretty interesting. We are going to go out west with friends late summer this year or late spring the year after. I"m not thinkin my 9mm would hack it if you had a bear or mountain lion spring at somebody in your group.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/pistols-for-defense-against-bears-failures-are-rare/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=cd41cd9acb-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-cd41cd9acb-20770865#axzz54S67BzYh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

interesting - their map is a bit wrong - there are black bears in Ohio, not common...

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/05/bears-or-lightning-which-is-more-deadly/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=ded9ccf305-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-ded9ccf305-20770865#axzz5GoBMo076

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/nuisance-wildlife/black-bears-in-ohio

Historically, black bears roamed the Buckeye State. Unfortunately, unregulated hunting and habitat loss rendered bears extirpated from Ohio by 1850. Today, Ohio is again home to a small but growing population of black bears. Ohio's bear population is estimated to be anywhere from 50-100 individual bears.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 9:06 AM, calfoxwc said:

came across this - the author researched and found several stories, with links, about bear attacks and bear spray/pistols of various calibers.

Pretty interesting. We are going to go out west with friends late summer this year or late spring the year after. I"m not thinkin my 9mm would hack it if you had a bear or mountain lion spring at somebody in your group.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/pistols-for-defense-against-bears-failures-are-rare/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=cd41cd9acb-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-cd41cd9acb-20770865#axzz54S67BzYh

Depends on whether you are going into black bear or grizzly bear country Cal. The 9mm with that deep penetrating 147 gr Win Ranger round along with either bear spray or bear horn like my brother has should be fine for black bear.

In grizzly country .357 mag would be the minimum with another deep penetrating round I would research before going deep into Yellowstone or Glacier NPs.

My cousin is going into Rocky. Moun. NP for a 6 night camping stay and I will be along the first night or two. I'm bringing him my spare "boat" horn I have on my sailing kayak that I keep on it if I get in trouble I can't get out of alone on the lake.  I normally keep it on the flexible nylon holder on the boat to use as an SOS kind of signal. However even in high winds I've never had it turn over on me. It has two extremely buoyant outriggers on it. I  just took my son in law out for the first time yesterday in moderate winds to teach him how to sail it solo. Took all of 10 minutes before he had it down. First time sailor.

Anyway, I diverged there but it was fun teaching him to sail so there. I came across this on youtube from a guy who swears by the Ruger I have as a survival gun. BTW I forgot to say that my Ruger also was made to shoot .38 specials without needing a change-out cylinder. The rounds are actually identical diameter so I've never understood why they called it a .38 special. Should have been .357 special. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

"Despite its name, the caliber of the .38 Special cartridge is actually .357 inches (36 caliber/9.07 mm), with the ".38" referring to the approximate diameter of the loaded brass case."