Sign in to follow this  
calfoxwc

The Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

no, no, no. think fuskishima whatever....3 mile island... some....minor dirty bomb kind of terrorist act. Just minor

drifting of radiation. It's not like trying to drink water 5 miles from a nuke blast.... geez.

LOL! I'm living in the age of Trump/Jong Un, so I think worst case scenario with these two in charge. Get with the new age cal.:D

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Am I the only one here who doesn't spend any time whatsoever worrying about survival tactics and such, weather from natural disasters or insurgent terrorism?

WSS

My daughter always told friends in California that when the Apocalypse came, she knew I'd find a way to save her and if they were smart they'd stick with her. Her standard answer was, "He survived Vietnam so the Apocalypse would be a piece of cake for him. He knows stuff no one else knows."  LOL!:lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Am I the only one here who doesn't spend any time whatsoever worrying about survival tactics and such, whether from natural disasters or insurgent terrorism?

WSS

Nope, my idea of roughing it is parking the RV at an angle causing me to fall out of bed.

• Haha 1

Back in the day, on our Alaskan cruise, we went and listened to a bear expert talk about em.

Seems that a grizzly is territorial, and protective - a grizzly can run up to 35 mph. seriously. in the short run,

a grizzly can outrun a racehorse. Can out run an olympic sprinter. Your only change is your gun, at least one canister

of bear spray, or, just curling up on the ground, protecting your head and neck, and playing dead for a half hr.

He said a black bear is different - if a black bear comes after you, he wants you for dinner, and your only hope

is your gun, bear spray, or...fight like hell until the bear gives up.

A grizzly is so big and powerful, it can toss aside a log too big for a couple of men to move.

Best bet - sing, talk, be loud in bear country. and don't smell like dinner.

so, I was wondering. hundreds of thousands stranded in cars on the expressway trying to get out of

Florida. or anywhere. gas runs out, no water, you find a field or campsite, no food, no shelter outside of your car.

God help you if it's winter. A lot of folks travel in winter with sleeping bags. Hopefully, with a case of bottled water, etc.

Seems dumb to worry about some calamity happening. Most of us don't. But some of us wonder how we would cope

if it happened. I need a few of those lifestraws for our BOB, CGBHB. (as in, "can't get back home bag".

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Back in the day, on our Alaskan cruise, we went and listened to a bear expert talk about em.

Seems that a grizzly is territorial, and protective - a grizzly can run up to 35 mph. seriously. in the short run,

a grizzly can outrun a racehorse. Can out run an olympic sprinter. Your only change is your gun, at least one canister

of bear spray, or, just curling up on the ground, protecting your head and neck, and playing dead for a half hr.

He said a black bear is different - if a black bear comes after you, he wants you for dinner, and your only hope

is your gun, bear spray, or...fight like hell until the bear gives up.

A grizzly is so big and powerful, it can toss aside a log too big for a couple of men to move.

Best bet - sing, talk, be loud in bear country. and don't smell like dinner.

I have a T-shirt I bought in Colorado this summer that says, "Never hike alone in bear country! Always hike with someone you can trip and outrun.":lol:

• Upvote 1

True story - on that cruise, I went up after the bear expert briefing, and asked him if I had bear spray hiking up

a creek to try to pan for gold, if it would be risky. He said if I had bear spray, 50 yards, a loaded .45... it would

still be stupid, no offense. I grizzley can close a distance of 50 yards in about 3 seconds I think it was.

and moose are also very dangerous at times.

If I ever hike in grizzly country I would take nothing less than my .357 Ruger with penetrating rounds that mushroom deeper than the normal HPs. Plus it makes a hellofa noise if all else fails. Bear spray would be nothing but backup.

this is an interesting story of a bear spray failure...food for thought.

the pics are graphic. not good. I wonder about how effective or not my

9 mm would be. der. I think I'd buy a .45 for grizzly country...like Yellowstone National Park...etc.

Your usual personal defense rounds like 9 and 45 don't penetrate enough to get through to the vitals on a grizzly. That is why those guys carry long arms or revolvers in nothing smaller than .357. We visited my buddy Neil who moved to Alaska. The locals gave us the run down before a camping trip.

ah. Never fired a .357.... .have fired a 40 or was it a .45. I think it was one of the latter that seems like it was a

cannon going off... after having a black bear step on our tent near our heads in N. Ontario on our hs graduation...

we had our food tied up 12' off the ground and 10 yards away, all we had was my hunting knife, like that would have

done us much good if that bear had decided to rip the tent and us apart. Tent camping in Yellowstone doesn't seem

like a good idea. I think we should rent/buy a camper for that trip.

Have a .357 mag Taurus.  Good, reliable revolver.  9 inch barrel.  Looks almost like the dirty harry .44 mag.

Image result for .357 magnum Taurus revolver with 9 inch barrel

On 9/15/2017 at 5:12 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

Your usual personal defense rounds like 9 and 45 don't penetrate enough to get through to the vitals on a grizzly. That is why those guys carry long arms or revolvers in nothing smaller than .357. We visited my buddy Neil who moved to Alaska. The locals gave us the run down before a camping trip.

This  ^

And use the deep penetration rounds such as my favorite: The copper jacket takes it in further than most, but is built to peel back and mushroom in critical areas. And a .357 makes a hell of a lot more noise going off than any dinky .40 or .45.

Image result for deep penetration .357 rounds

Apropos of nothing except the upcoming season. Sent by a friend: :lol:

"Fact: If someone is playing Christmas music in October you have the right to kill them and use their corpse for a Halloween decoration."

-PAXP-deijE.gif

interesting. I'll have to check into making bread in the wilderness. Plenty of grass grains, etc. Not sure I would leave the

little camp shelter so open. Some crabbapple or hawthorn branches most of the way around would seem to be

a lot safer. and a gun. Probably a common location for this outing, meaning bears etc would tend to avoid the area. hopefully.

far more experienced: mentions my childhood favorite wilderness food - cattails, learned it from my

very own Herter's catalogue Canadian Indian Guide book.

ten lies about survival. Heart, soul, spirit, and know-how.

Cal-In the first video I laughed when the first thing she did was walk away from her backpack full of food sitting on the ground. Rule #1 is carry a rope to hoist it into a tree if you're leaving it while scouting. She already screwed up but I'll finish watching anyway because it looks interesting. And if she's going to use a knife as her only defense along with bear spray then she better rig it up on a sturdy limb of some kind like spear to at least have a shot at poking an eye or two out from at least a short distance if the bear spray does nothing. LOL!

Edit #1: 20 min. in and this girl is a novice. Leaves her food out again while she uses the bear bag to get river sand. And then she hangs it in an unsound tree that she could have checked out before hanging it up. But at least she likes to bathe in the river a lot for entertainment value. Too bad they cover her with the Canadian flag icon though. :wub:

Edit #2: Not a Cajun dat fo sur. Suck dem heads o da crawfishes girl!:D

Edit#3: Nice little speckled trout she got. Best eating ones I ever caught were Native Cutthroat trout up the Poudre River in Redfeather Lakes area WNW of Ft. Collins. Nothing like fresh trout cooked on a spit over an open fire. I caught 'em in early spring just after the ice broke and had my limit in about 15 min. Ate a bunch and took a bunch home at the end of my trip. Those were the days!

PS-if you take a stringer with you you can keep them alive for quite a while in the water and eat them fresh whenever you get hungry. Or clean them and put them on ice in your beer cooler. LOL!:P

Edit#4-thanks for the video cal. Overall she did fine with a few novice mistakes early in. I'll watch the others as I have time.

PS-I laughed at myself as I watched her use rocks to bake her bread close to the fire. I got in a heap of trouble with the old man as a kid when I swore up and down that Indians ate rocks because I read it in Boys Life magazine. When we got home from the 15 minute argument he made me find the article and there was the picture of the Indians with rocks in their pot boiling away. What I had failed to do was read that they had heated the rocks in the fire and then thrown them in the pot of water so it reaches a quick boil. That earned me a knot on my head for not reading it. So the lesson never forgotten is that if you have a fire going keep a stack of some clean rocks in it and throw them in a container of water whenever you need it if you want hot water really fast. And read instructions carefully or you may get a knot on the head.!:lol:

• Haha 1

LOL ! Yes, she was a book learned? novice? Great points, TexAg. She went to a bit of smart to go make her oatmeal?

away from her campsite. A bear has a very keen sense of smell, can smell stuff from well over a mile away....

Not sure if bears eat oatmeal, whatever it was. But later, she cooks her FISH right next

to her camp over the fire ! LOL  She didn't think of moving a bit of her fire well away from her camp, and cook the fish THERE.

all that dead bark around, and she never banked her fire and laid a piece of bark over it.... and camping near widowmakers,

not good. But it was interesting. Wonder how she wore that Canadian flag while bathing in the river. :)

Bears will eat any damn thing they find. I was at an outdoor lecture on black bears in RMNP outside Estes Park with my grandkids. The speaker said when they are even 20 miles downwind they can pick up on a carcass and backtrack the smell to the source like buzzards do. This article says their sense of smell is something like 7 times better than a bloodhound. That is just unreal and explains why you never keep or cook food near your sleeping area in bear country. Biggest black bear I ever saw was crossing the road to the far west side of Estes Park on his way to the city dump.

https://sectionhiker.com/bears_sense_of_smell/

Yeah during the film I was thinking of converting to Canadian so I could go hoist the flag. At this age it's just a rich fantasy life.:rolleyes: