THE BROWNS BOARD

CFB's Top Workout Warriors

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Interesting stuff from ESPN's Bruce Feldman.

I think it's safe to say that this guy's going to have a pretty good Combine.

Taylor Mays, USC, safety: Whenever someone in the media visits a USC practice and comes away gushing about the Trojans' stash of blue-chip athletes, there's a good chance the buzz started building after he noticed Mays, a frightening combination of size and speed. Just ask Arizona coaches how frightening he is. Last season, Mays KOed three Wildcats during their game against USC. And perhaps the only things more impressive than Mays' highlight reel of brutal hits are the numbers the 6-foot-3, 238-pound Trojan puts up in the USC strength program. Mays vertical jumps 41 inches, does a standing broad jump of 11 feet and 4 inches, can bench-press 225 pounds 29 times and in the spring of 2008 ran an electronically timed 40-yard dash in 4.32 seconds. He didn't get timed in the 40 this spring because coaches didn't want to risk his pulling a muscle.

"I didn't run, but I feel faster this year," Mays says. "Seriously, I am. I ran that time last year coming off ankle surgery, and this year I've taken better care of my body during the season, and my diet has been more consistent." He has strived this spring to become more flexible and has focused on drills to increase his hip flexibility.

"[Former USC linebacker] Keith Rivers told me safeties have to play a lot of man in the slot [in the NFL], and I've also worked on getting better at tackling in the open field and becoming more fluid in my backpedal."

Mays, who says his body fat is about 5 percent of his total weight, plans to trim down to around 230 pounds in time for the season and has another idea to boost his flexibility: "My girlfriend and I are going to start taking that [bikram] yoga."

Guest Aloysius
My God that dude is superman.

And a sex machine.

n3430972_37623500_7605.jpg

Mays reportedly stayed in school because he'd just started a relationship with an SC girl. Probably not this one, though.

• 1 month later...
And a sex machine.

n3430972_37623500_7605.jpg

Mays reportedly stayed in school because he'd just started a relationship with an SC girl. Probably not this one, though.

Probably not, indeed.

Zombo

Archived