THE BROWNS BOARD

Honest no fanboy discussion about our front 7

Clevfan4life

5 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I never said Lynch needs more time. I said, you don't have anything to judge him on.

I think being beaten out by Trevor Siemian two years in a row is something on which Lynch can be judged. That plus actually watching Lynch both preseasons.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I never said Lynch needs more time. I said, you don't have anything to judge him on. If he busts, he busts. I am not often wrong, but we will see. I would be more worried about the Steelers sending Kizer along the RGIII path in a few weeks.

Kizer already got the message loud and clear from Hue- start sliding. goober.  Drastic change from the Giants game to the Bucs game... 

24 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

With all due respect. All that observation is noise. He needs to make fucking plays. You don't win games by having nicer moves than anyone before you. 

Look, you know more about football than I do. Can you please explain the scoreboard to me? Just how many style points go into a team's score?

There's more to just "making plays". It's called occupying a couple blockers so your teammates can make plays. It's making teams respect you so much- they run plays to the other side- or one of the great neutralizers- run the play right at you with a double team. 

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think being beaten out by Trevor Siemian two years in a row is something on which Lynch can be judged. That plus actually watching Lynch both preseasons.

Beat me to it Tour. There's now 2 preseasons of tape on Lynch, plus he played in three regular season games. WAY more tape than anyone has on Garrett. Seem there's some rumblings in Bronco Land....  Last preseason game two passes, one completion- man he's sure lighting it up. 

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/23/broncos-quarterback-paxton-lynch-kiszla/

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

I never said Lynch needs more time. I said, you don't have anything to judge him on. If he busts, he busts. I am not often wrong, but we will see. I would be more worried about the Steelers sending Kizer along the RGIII path in a few weeks.

You make it sound like the Steelers are a defense to be feared. That has not been the case in quite some time.  I would fear BR and AB going off on the Browns more than I would worry about their defense.  

I think the Steelers should more likely fear the Browns OL/run game....though, admittedly, our passing game is not at a point that it is a fearsome thing, no

50 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

How can experts even form an opinion on this latest draft after only 3 pre season games let alone someone with 30 years experience watching football on TV? 

Its also plausible that Williams is holding Garret back somewhat. Turn him loose on Pittsburgh then see what he brings to the table.

Ive lost all faith in Ghoolie and his predictions. Appears that Tribsky will lose the starting job to Glennon. I just found out about another of his favorites Paxton Lynch.  He tells me that Brady is finished. 

I would not worry so much about Trubisky sitting down in favor of Glennon.  They are simply doing what most people expected the Browns to do: sit Kizer and start B.O.  I don't think it is so much that MT has "lost" the starting job. Its just that they are doing the normal "sit and learn" thing for him.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

With all due respect. All that observation is noise. He needs to make fucking plays. You don't win games by having nicer moves than anyone before you. 

Look, you know more about football than I do. Can you please explain the scoreboard to me? Just how many style points go into a team's score?

Ghoolie football is a teamsport. If a guy is forcing qb's to throw the ball early that means he's getting IN. Thats all u can ask out of a pass rusher. Theres other things tho like run defense that so far garrett has shown more he's as good or better at than anyone else on the team. He's a rookie in pre season. Wait till the end of the year to grade him alright?

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You make it sound like the Steelers are a defense to be feared. That has not been the case in quite some time.  I would fear BR and AB going off on the Browns more than I would worry about their defense.  

I think the Steelers should more likely fear the Browns OL/run game....though, admittedly, our passing game is not at a point that it is a fearsome thing, no

Why would the steelers fear our ol now?

I doubt Orchard is cut but Maybe saying so long to Danny, He never showed much and now we have guys on the team that can and will make plays. We finally have a DC that will sit people who miss plays or not try, I think our D will be a top 10 D this year. Let's Go Browns and bring the DAWG POUND BACK TO LIFE!! Woof Woof

11 minutes ago, medicineman said:

I doubt Orchard is cut but Maybe saying so long to Danny, He never showed much and now we have guys on the team that can and will make plays. We finally have a DC that will sit people who miss plays or not try, I think our D will be a top 10 D this year. Let's Go Browns and bring the DAWG POUND BACK TO LIFE!! Woof Woof

I disagree there. I focused in on his play the first preseason game, and the guy really does take on 2 blockers a good chunk of the time on his way into the backfield.

He's the caddy of the defense, teeing it up for the other guys to make plays.

26 minutes ago, medicineman said:

I laughed pretty hard at this.  

Danny is going nowhere. 

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Why would the steelers fear our ol now?

Because it very well may be the best in the league.  It has, arguably, the best talent of any OL in football.  And in preseason, it really has not been asked to show what it can do in terms of the run game. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Because it very well may be the best in the league.  It has, arguably, the best talent of any OL in football.  And in preseason, it really has not been asked to show what it can do in terms of the run game. 

Its the best in the league? Says who? 

If u say pff gip, we're gonna have to take it out back

What the Browns have been so miserable at is developing talent. How you build a championship team is making those  2nd, 3rd, 4th round guys into viable starters or quality depth players. 

What's super encouraging from my perspective is it seems like finally the defense is DEVELOPING talent and keeping the guys worth paying. Nassib, Ogbah, Orchard, Schobert, all have shown flashes and we paid guys like Kirksey who came around to being a good player. Throw in a potential monster in Garrett and some promising DT play and it's the best I've felt about this unit in a long, long time. The front 7 makes the DB's look better, and is rarely the other way around. We obviously got some holes in the secondary but pressure and strong backer play can make up for it in a hurry. 

5 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Its the best in the league? Says who? 

If u say pff gip, we're gonna have to take it out back

PFF was one:    #2 overall https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-line-units-heading-into-the-2017-season

This has them 4th best:  http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/237652708/ranking-best-nfl-offensive-line-in-football

Another one, not sure which, had both the Browns and Steelers as the 2 best OL in the league.

"On paper" we easily have one of the berst OLs in the league... on paper....

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It's been five seasons since they had the top rated D. Since then they've been in the 2nd quartile by most measures and that ain't nothing, but yes, they have committed more $$$ to their Offense in this phase.

13 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Look, you know more about football than I do. Can you please explain the scoreboard to me? 

Sure. In all three of our games, it has revealed we had more points. HTH

17 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

What? Less than 10 days ago were adamant Hue was a jack off because he wasn't starting Kizer !?

3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

What? Less than 10 days ago were adamant Hue was a jack off because he wasn't starting Kizer !?

Ghoolie changes direction like the wind. We have him painted in a corner with his opinion on Lynch. "Can't be evaluated yet" after one full season, but Garrett's a bust before the season starts. 😀

49 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Really what?  The Browns OL will be one of the best...talentwise in the league. Everyone has said so. They just have to play up to their talent.

All in all they protected fairly well in the Tampa game. But I want to see better running lanes opened in future games so we have some balance.

12 hours ago, boo fagley said:

2nd round pick Kizer sitting and the first pick in the draft sitting, is not the same. Some wanted Tribsky instead of Garret.

Kizer beat out Oiswieller, Tribsky could not beat out Glennon.

Or...as I said, its a case of the Bears wanting to bring MT along slowly...to give him some time to sit and learn.....which is usually the way of things.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Usually? Not in the recent history of Top 2 picks.

Yes, but didn't Goff sit for a while? (We may have dodged a bullet there.) MHO is Hue's qb eye is 1\2 blind, I just hope Kizer was mostly Sashi & DePo's idea. BTW Wentz only started because of an injury. Bradford got traded to recoup a first round pick.

2016:

• Goff did sit, but because he had real issues adapting to play calling and getting under Center. So that's one...
  • Wentz flat won the job. He made Bradford expendable plus Philly still had Chase Daniels as backup.

2015: Both Winston and Mariotta started.

2014: Bortles (a #3) started.

2012: Both Luck and Griffin started.

2011: Newton started.

2010: Bradford started.

2009: Stafford started.

I think that pretty much covers recent history of 1's and 2's.... and a #3...

55 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Usually? Not in the recent history of Top 2 picks.

In the course of NFL history it is usual.  It has become less usual lately, as, I think, teams have become more desperate and less patient to wait for their high draft pick QBs to prove themselves. See the 2017 Cleveland Browns.

44 minutes ago, hoorta said:

, I just hope Kizer was mostly Sashi & DePo's idea

Be very surprised, "analytically" Kizer didnt make the grade. Think he was more the eye test as when he flashed he looked very very good. 

Archived