THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns looking at WR trade ?

darren15

1 minute ago, Unsympathetic said:

The opposing QB of Favre's postseason losses wasn't always a Hall Of Famer..

Aikman [1993-1995]

Elway [1997]

Young [1998]

Warner [2001]

Vick [2002]

McNabb [2003]

Culpepper [2004]

E.Manning [2007]

Brees [2009]

Would I want him on my team.. over who, exactly? Over any other hall-of-fame QB? Over Kizer?  I'll take Drew Brees over Favre 8 days a week..

I'd take Favre over Brees and I love Brees. Quite simply, Favre was more clutch

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

The opposing QB of Favre's postseason losses wasn't always a Hall Of Famer..

Aikman [1993-1995]

Elway [1997]

Young [1998]

Warner [2001]

Vick [2002]

McNabb [2003]

Culpepper [2004]

E.Manning [2007]

Brees [2009]

Would I want him on my team.. over who, exactly? Over any other hall-of-fame QB? Over Kizer?  I'll take Drew Brees over Favre 8 days a week..

6 out of 9 of those are probably Hall of Famers.

How many HOFers did he also beat in postseason play.

9 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Quite simply, Favre was more clutch

If you want to say "I like him" that's fine! Great - you like him, got it.

But "clutch" isn't a metric - it's an emotion.

To say he's "more" than brees...... first, precisely quantify "clutch".  Good luck.  Hint: Guys paid by ESPN have tried - and failed - to define this concept.

33 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

6 out of 9 of those are probably Hall of Famers.

How many HOFers did he also beat in postseason play.

His playoff wins are a litany of 8-8 guys who had a couple good years except for Young

Erik Kramer

Jeff George

Steve Young [2x] - part of steve's "jinx"

Elvis Grbac

Kerry Collins

Trent Dilfer [while on TB]

Jeff Garcia

Matt Hasselbeck [2x]

Tony Romo

Not hard to verify

So, 1/9 for names and 2/11 for games were won against HoF QB's.... not impressive.. Romo is by no means a Hall of Famer - Hall of Very Good, sure, but no Canton.

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

I'd take Favre over Brees and I love Brees. Quite simply, Favre was more clutch

I have trouble giving points for "clutch" when a QB contributes significantly to the deficit he overcomes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20510821/seattle-seahawks-trying-trade-wr-jermaine-kearse

The Seattle Seahawks are trying to trade wide receiver Jermaine Kearse, sources told ESPN's Dianna Russini.

Kearse is set to make $2.2 million in base salary in 2017 as part of the three-year, $13.5 million deal he signed in March 2016.

He's cheap, has good vet experience at the position and is a solid deep threat.  I'd take a flyer on him.  He's not only a Superbowl experienced WR but he's a tremendous blocker as well.  Maybe we can send the Seahawks our newly added 5th rounder for him.

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Favre was a first Ballot Hall of Famer.  Anyone want to argue with that fact?

Can't argue with that he is in. The merits of his selection? Absolutely...

Good to know you'll defend every Steeler selection... past and future...

44 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Can't argue with that he is in. The merits of his selection? Absolutely...

Good to know you'll defend every Steeler selection... past and future...

Looking at each individual Steeler that is in....I don't really have a problem with any except perhaps one:  Lynn Swann.  He is in I guess on the basis of his performance in making acrobatic catches, especially in one Super Bowl game.  His overall numbers are not really that impressive.  And I guess, perhaps its not that I object so much to him being in....its that others of equal or better numbers are not.  Take Gary Collins.  About the same number of career catches.  More TDs.  And he certainly came up big, big, big in the biggest game with his 3 TDs in the 1964 Championship game.  I just think Collins was a better player...and also a champion.  I guess the fact that he didn't have 4 made the difference.

And there ARE some future Steeler players that will be getting into the HOF...that I cannot argue with:  Alan Faneca will.  Ben R. will.  And while it is early, I would say that basically Antonio Brown will be a better HOF candidate than Hines Ward.

As far as Favre...you cannot argue with his career numbers. Between he and Brady and Manning they will likely share all the major QB stat records.

23 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Speaking of minutiae... was posting my takes in a reddit thread when an impression gelled that's been knocking around in my head. Here's my reply with the impression underlined and the gelled bit underlined and italicized in the next paragraph with the money shot in bold to boot.

No knowledge that this is in fact in the QB training manual, but it seems a logical step in teaching a young QB how to play in the NFL.

Going thru the throws in Kizer's TB compiliation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lm7uABtQQk&feature=youtu.be , the glances seemed so perfunctory, just way too fast to gather information, even robotic that there must be a higher purpose... and training is what I came up with...

Thoughts?

And here's the link to the reddit thread; https://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/6wvqsb/playbyplay_of_deshone_kizers_week_3_performance/

It makes sense. Kizer is not at a level where he can read defenses as a whole, hence the simplified route combinations and heavy utilization of screens. Hue is bringing him along slowly and giving him a predesignated read but instructing him to look off the read and reacquire it would fall in line with the "slow development" aspect. 

I just find it odd that you hope that Kizer doesn't turn out like Favre, a first ballot hall of famer. Favre definitely had his bad moments, but he usually had his teams competing at a very high level. There was a lot of weight on his shoulders. He would try to force things too much, but he also scored a lot of points when other qb's wouldn't have been able to.

I don't think I have seen any of the rookie qb's make any additional reads post snap with the exception of tossing it to the rb in the flat. I think a lot of fans get irritated with the backup qb not getting bumped up, but it is obvious how much of a simplified system they are running. We (broncos fans) are irritated because Lynch still isn't doing that either, and the results aren't quite the same when you are playing the against the ones and a game plan.

Interested to see how this year turns out for you. Your defense looks light-years improved from last year. Would like to see you get a little more push up the middle but other than that your d looks legit. 

Landry, that would be a shocker. Kind of hard guy to trade for right now with the domestic violence hanging overhead unless you get him on the cheap. Patriots gave up a first for Brandon Cooks. I would think his price would be similar. 

22 minutes ago, BroncoLurker said:

I just find it odd that you hope that Kizer doesn't turn out like Favre, a first ballot hall of famer. Favre definitely had his bad moments, but he usually had his teams competing at a very high level. There was a lot of weight on his shoulders. He would try to force things too much, but he also scored a lot of points when other qb's wouldn't have been able to.

I've never claimed to be mainstream... ;) ... but my take is just the opposite. I saw a lot of high-level Packer teams in the Favre era that fell short because they had a QB that could not control his own game and snatched as many defeats from the jaws of victory than vice versa.

Contrast Brett with Rodgers... Rodgers has as much talent, but tons more judgement than Favre ever had. I am cool with Kizer becoming future, first-balloter Aaron Rodgers.

22 minutes ago, BroncoLurker said:

We (broncos fans) are irritated because Lynch still isn't doing that either, and the results aren't quite the same when you are playing the against the ones and a game plan.

I've seen nothing in Lynch, which short-term is fine because of Siemian, who I think is a competent placeholder. I'll be surprised if by 2018 Kelly is not your starter and the consensus best Mr. Irrelevant ever.

If Osweiler was transported back to Denver, do you think he'd beat out Siemian?

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I've seen nothing in Lynch, which short-term is fine because of Siemian, who I think is a competent placeholder. I'll be surprised if by 2018 Kelly is not your starter and the consensus best Mr. Irrelevant ever.

If Osweiler was transported back to Denver, do you think he'd beat out Siemian?

Yeah, most fans have been a little bummed that we haven't gotten to see Kelly yet, and a lot think he will beat out TS next year. 

It has been discussed, but not to be our starter, but our backup. Most prefer Sloter in that discussion. With a coin flip on who we could care less about between BO and Lynch. BO just reminds me of a less accurate Kyle Orton. Boring to watch, no intangibles, and has a hard time consistently moving the chains. So that would be a big NO on beating on TS. I am not sure who BO could beat out around the league at this point. And whoever you mention, I couldn't see his odds being better than a coin flip. That would be a depressing qb battle. No offense to you guys as at least you had a rookie in the wings.

22 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

If you want to say "I like him" that's fine! Great - you like him, got it.

But "clutch" isn't a metric - it's an emotion.

To say he's "more" than brees...... first, precisely quantify "clutch".  Good luck.  Hint: Guys paid by ESPN have tried - and failed - to define this concept.

clutch - denoting or occurring in a critical situation in which the outcome of a game or competition is at stake.

1) Define it.. showing exactly what the numerator and denominator are.  Indecipherable twaddle shows you have no point.

2) Show exactly what by your precise metric [n=10 at minimum] sets those apart who "have" this thing of which you speak.    I don't think "clutch" exists - at least not as a thing that can be quantified.

3) Show the values of other QB's - because if he's so good, then what is "normal" - and why precisely is this dude's number something more than the variation that is expected by chance.

For all the "oh, this dude led a comeback" stories.. being horseflop the first 3 quarters against a bad opponent is also the same guy's fault, and so playing well for one quarter gets him back to minus-2 [total quarters playing well] - it doesn't elevate him somehow.  Consistency is much better than one great drive here and there.. that's how Alex Smith has been a starter in the league for a long time even if the majority of his passes are a yard and a half.

The problem is that the different variables of "clutch" are subjective somewhat.

If you look at the data of 4th quarter comebacks, and game winning drives,

Drew Brees has 28 4th qt comebacks and 42 game winning drives. 

Favre has 30 4th qt comebacks and 45 game winning drives.

They're both great QBs, but I think it comes down to who subjectively you'd rather put in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line.

We can argue that Tom Brady has more 4th quarter comebacks than rg3, therefore, he'd be better when the game is on the line rather than rg3.

26 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

I'd take Brett Favre over George Blanda in a heartbeat

lmao... but with Blanda I could kick a FG...

53 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Meanwhile back at WR...

Reports are we are sniffing around a trade for Kearse...

Put him in unie double 00 & spell it Curse I will buy his Jersey Day 1 :D

Meanwhile back at Kearse... Imma passin'...

Contrast his Catch Percentage stats...

Games Receiving          
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch%                      
2012 22 SEA wr 11 7 1 7 3 31 10.3 0 17 0.4 4.4 42.9%                      
2013 23 SEA wr 15 15 5 38 22 346 15.7 4 43 1.5 23.1 57.9%                      
2014 24 SEA WR 15 15 14 69 38 537 14.1 1 60 2.5 35.8 55.1%                      
2015 25 SEA WR 15 16 16 68 49 685 14.0 5 50 3.1 42.8 72.1%                      
2016 26 SEA WR 15 16 15 89 41 510 12.4 1 36 2.6 31.9 46.1%

... with those of Doug Baldwin... suggests to me a route discipline issue.

Games Receiving          
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch%                      
2011 23 SEA wr 15 16 1 85 51 788 15.5 4 55 3.2 49.3 60.0%                      
2012 24 SEA wr 89 14 4 50 29 366 12.6 3 50 2.1 26.1 58.0%                      
2013 25 SEA WR 89 16 9 72 50 778 15.6 5 52 3.1 48.6 69.4%                      
2014 26 SEA WR 89 16 16 98 66 825 12.5 3 49 4.1 51.6 67.3%                      
2015 27 SEA WR 89 16 16 103 78 1069 13.7 14 80 4.9 66.8 75.7%                    

2016* 28 SEA WR 89 16 15 125 94 1128 12.0 7 59 5.9 70.5 75.2%

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Cool link... Here's a career stat for which Mr. First Ballot has no peers...

Rank Player Int Years Tm
1 Brett Favre+ 336 1991-2010 4TM
2 George Blanda+ 277 1949-1975 4TM

Well...you conveniently left out the fact that Favre had 10, 169 passing attempts, to George Blanda's 4007.   More than 2.5 times more attempts.

Our WR will be fine. We have the best Wideout in the game in Josh Gordon. A young talented WR in Coleman, a veteran in Britt and several very young and talented receivers with Louis, Higgins, Payton, Leslie, Mullaney and a few others sprinkled in. Expect Duke to flex out and make some receptions as well as the TEs Njoku, DeValve and even as we saw tonight with Telfer.

Archived