THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns looking at WR trade ?

darren15

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great if we could land a quality starter.....we need one.....

I will say that Coleman made a few good catches last night and even used his hands to do it.....first Ive seen of that.....so hope the light is starting to come on for him......

Kenny Britt?.....has he played yet?.....

If we're talking to the Fins, then I hope it's about Parker... but in either case, it's a matter of price vs. need...

Unless our brain trust thinks we are so bad at WR that we cannot evaluate Kizer, I'd stand pat... and I don't see it being that bad. Coleman is showing up, Britt will be fine and at least Hall has surprised. Add Devalve and Duke and that's not a bad core.

Plus there is the coming flood of waived players. If we are that concerned about the rest of our bench, then we should see upgrade opportunities on the wire.

Jarvis Landry is going INTO his 4th season(not vested?)...If waived? We get 1st crack at him anyhow..I'd trade for a Vested WR (4 years in), cuz they may not volunteer for this adventure..     

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Kenny Britt?.....has he played yet?.....

Unfortunately yes he has.......(As you have seen.)   and its been damn painful to watch........  I would love to get a quality starter. 

Right....and the 3 guys from last years draft(Payton, Louis and Higgins) have picked up where they left off last season.....1 catch each....(not very encouraging)...been hearing how great Louis looked through out camp, yet he's been invisible in the 3 games we've played....(heard the same about Higgins last year)

Another question or concern is the fact that Mario Alford has been the go to guy on kick returns and he does not look good(on kicks or receptions)......so, are they planning to keep him as part of the WR corps???

3 hours ago, darren15 said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/browns-researching-potential-wr-trade-targets/

Would anyone be happy with Jarvis Landry or other potential options

Is this a trick question?    Why do I feel like if I say Hell yeah to Jarvis - I'm either going to hear he just tore his achilles or he just failed a drug test?

It's a passing era, so I don't know why anyone would want to part with Landry's work ethic and productivity for something from a team coming off a 1-15 season.

I haven't seen anything except the highlights on nfl dot com.  Was pleased to see Coleman making catches.  But we obviously need help in that area.  If a decent trade pops up they should do it. (I don't expect the Steelers to trade a receiver to us)

Otherwise, I'd just wait for the cuts and scour the waiver wire.

There will be 100 WR on the waiver wire Saturday, I bet at least one or two are better than what is on our roster. Since we have first crack at the waiver wire, why would we waste a draft pick on somebody that will probably get cut on Saturday anyway. Just sit back and wait.

Saw Boyce and Hall both getting some run with 1st team last night.

They're definitely not happy with receiving corps. 

Higgins and Payton have been big disappointments and Louis hasn't done much since a promising first game.

Britt looks OK.

16 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

There will be 100 WR on the waiver wire Saturday, I bet at least one or two are better than what is on our roster. Since we have first crack at the waiver wire, why would we waste a draft pick on somebody that will probably get cut on Saturday anyway. Just sit back and wait.

There is a large difference between "getting someone who is better than what we currently have" and "getting a difference maker".

Landry is an athletic freak. He's not a johnny come lately waiver wire addition. 

I dont see how the two can be compared. Surrounding Kizer with talent is going to help his growth. 

14 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Surrounding Kizer with talent is going to help his growth. 

I'm going to take issue with that... hear me out...

• Biggest deficiency I've seen in Kizer, and maybe the only one, is that he is not reading the D post-snap, but rather locking onto his pre-snap primary.
  • The more success he has playing QB the wrong way, the more it is reinforced.
  • The better his receiving corps, the more success he will have playing the wrong way... I've already seen Derek Anderson.

By the above I am not saying our Corps should be talentless. We need route runners with good hands. The danger in excessive receiving talent is enabling QB play that is not sound fundamentally.

Hmm. Surround your qb with mediocre wide receivers... and that helps his development.......

like, he doesn't have anybody to throw to, so he ...grows ...as a qb.....

nope. not seein it... probably just me.;)

34 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

• Biggest deficiency I've seen in Kizer, and maybe the only one, is that he is not reading the D post-snap, but rather locking onto his pre-snap primary.
  • The better his receiving corps, the more success he will have playing the wrong way... I've already seen Derek Anderson.

By the above I am not saying our Corps should be talentless. We need route runners with good hands. The danger in excessive receiving talent is enabling QB play that is not sound fundamentally.

I'm going to rewatch it today while recording so I can look in more detail. But I do recall from just first viewing on the web (without being able to replay in detail) that multiple times he made a read and changed the play pre-snap. I know that's different from post-snap, but encouraging nonetheless. I do know I hope our WR corps can get open AND be capable of bailing him out on off-target throws. The great ones do that and make it look easy.

I've seen ample evidence of pre-snap reading as well. Problem is I've never seen him come off his pre-snap.

No better example than his great throw to Coleman after scrambling to his left. He locked on Coleman immediately and never came off him... and he got away with it. Great result... terrible QB play.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Hmm. Surround your qb with mediocre wide receivers... and that helps his development....... like, he doesn't have anybody to throw to, so he ...grows ...as a qb.....

nope. not seein it... probably just me.;)

lol... nah, you'll have plenty of company.... I know this one is "out there"... even for me.

But it would help if y'all at least stick to the scenario I presented...

I don't like this "cut them all at once" policy.  There should be some intitial cuts made now.   That way, if someone is available, you can pick them up, get them into the lineup in the final preseason game, and get them into your system a bit.  Now, all cuts being made only after the last preseason game means that a new team picking up a guy must inculcate them into their system only during the regular season.  Bad policy imo.

Agree, Gip... just doesn't seem to be in keeping with maximizing the league's talent level and strengthening the lesser teams.

Plus in the past waiver wire action has been a great source of fan discussion. This year? Not so much....

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree, Gip... just doesn't seem to be in keeping with maximizing the league's talent level and strengthening the lesser teams.

Plus in the past waiver wire action has been a great source of fan discussion. This year? Not so much....

Well...it probably WILL be once they end up making cuts.  Right now, there is not much to discuss.  Browns did let go of a couple of players: Des Bryant (probably so that he COULD get picked up by another team and get going with their system).  Who else?  And Browns did pick up at least one guy...another Bryant...the DB.  Anyone else?

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think the change on when it is mandatory to drop players has had a major impact on the waiver wire and the  discussions here.

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well...it probably WILL be once they end up making cuts.  Right now, there is not much to discuss.  Browns did let go of a couple of players: Des Bryant (probably so that he COULD get picked up by another team and get going with their system).  Who else?  And Browns did pick up at least one guy...another Bryant...the DB.  Anyone else?

Not well expressed by me, but the thought was that in the past there were weeks of buzz around the waiver wire and roster moves with a fresh wave coming weekly.

This year, yes, there will be "buzz", but it's going to be compressed into 24 hours.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'd be more inclined to agree if I saw anything from Kizer that would indicate he plays "the wrong way". He's showing a ton of plus traits - in the physical, mechanical and mental aspects.

He does lock onto reads at times, but he's a rookie and that will happen. He's also shown an ability to move through his progressions at times as well, so I'm not worried about him getting locked into bad habits.

I was actually against adding a receiver, but after this week's preseason game I'm all for adding a sure handed athletic talent. Kizer has the arm talent and poise to be something fun, but watching him deliver strikes to Britt and the others and seeing them hit the turf was supremely depressing.

5 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

He's also shown an ability to move through his progressions at times as well,

TC, I honestly have not seen it... not even a hint of it... so if you have a particular play in mind, please let me know.

Everything else I agree with... so he has a chance... but that last step is a big one.

One factor I may have overlooked completely is his being fueled by a desire to make Brian Kelly look like the ass many of us think he is. The way Kizer is now talking in glowing terms about his growing relationship with Hue gave rise to the thought of this possible "incentive".

Except most plays are designed to go to a primary target, or a secondary target, and most plays in the NFL do not have time to develop into tertiary reads.

Maybe think about that, and then you would see him playing the position correctly.

There were a handful of pretty bad plays he had during the first two weeks where he "locked in" and sat in the pocket too long and didn't know where to go with the ball. Those were less frequent in Week 3. That's called progress.

Archived