THE BROWNS BOARD

ESPN blasted for political correctness after pulling announcer Robert Lee from UVa football game

OldBrownsFan

REPORT: ESPN Pulls Asian Announcer from College Football Game Because of Fear of Fan Backlash

But, seriously, is there anything more pathetic than ESPN believing people would be offended by an Asian guy named Robert Lee sharing a name with Robert E. Lee and calling a football game? Aside from some hysterical photoshops and Internet memes which would make everyone with a functional brain laugh — Robert E. Lee pulling out all the stops to stay in Charlottesville now! — what was the big fear here? Does ESPN really believe people are this dumb or that having an Asian announcer named Robert Lee is too offensive for the average TV viewer to handle?

Yes, yes they do.

I’m sorry you work for such an idiotic company, Robert Lee.

http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/08/22/report-espn-pulls-asian-announcer-college-football-game-fear-fan-backlash/

that is so stupid a disgrace. Next thing the liberal asswipes will want to ban his Gen Robert E. Lee's cousin,

Bruce Lee's martial arts movies. ..........

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

ESPN exec released a brief statement as to why and apparently Mr. Lee confirms what they're saying.

What was something I felt to be overboard 'PC' turns out to be a complete non-issue.      Moving along...

Got a link? An Asian man named Robert Lee gets pulled from announcing a UVa game because his name is Robert Lee. How does ESPN explain that except PC going overboard?

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Got a link? An Asian man named Robert Lee gets pulled from announcing a UVa game because his name is Robert Lee. How does ESPN explain that except PC going overboard?

https://twitter.com/JoeyLangone/status/900335454297436160/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23900335454297436160

Basically attempting to shield one of their employees from the internet.  Although the damage done might be worse now.    I wonder if they had just called him Bob Lee if anyone would have noticed?

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

https://twitter.com/JoeyLangone/status/900335454297436160/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23900335454297436160

Basically attempting to shield one of their employees from the internet.  Although the damage done might be worse now.    I wonder if they had just called him Bob Lee if anyone would have noticed?

I really don't think there would have been any problem here and ESPN did make it worse. 

Of course the guy who is an ESPN employee is going to take the company line on this. If the worst case scenario is there would have been some jokes about it not a big deal. I don't care if you are the biggest Robert E Lee (of over 150 years ago) hater in the world it would be insane to hold it against an Asian man who happens to have the name of Robert Lee. I mean where do you go with this? Does this guy have to change his own name now? 

OBF, the point was he would have been the butt of jokes from all sides. Not just from Robert e lee haters....just read the espn executives explanation, sit on it for awhile before you respond. Let it sink in, it makes sense. They weren't afraid the guy would have received hate.....just endless meme's and jokes they would rather not subject him to. 

33 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

OBF, the point was he would have been the butt of jokes from all sides. Not just from Robert e lee haters....just read the espn executives explanation, sit on it for awhile before you respond. Let it sink in, it makes sense. They weren't afraid the guy would have received hate.....just endless meme's and jokes they would rather not subject him to. 

It does not make sense and just shows what a sad state of affairs this country is in today. His name is what it is. If he is so concerned about jokes about his name he should seriously think about changing his name. ESPN is trying to fix a perceived problem that hasn't happened. We need to deal with realities. No one should ever feel they should be pulled off a job because of their name. Because of his name he can no longer announce any football games in the south? You are better off facing something like this head on than trying to run away from it.

it was just the timing of the whole thing obf, in a couple months he'll go back to calling games wherever they send him. Please stop. Even the guy acknowledged "right now" his name would be the butt of jokes. You're making something out of nothing. If Charlottesville hadn't happened no one would blink at the guys name. 

19 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

It does not make sense and just shows what a sad state of affairs this country is in today. His name is what it is. If he is so concerned about jokes about his name he should seriously think about changing his name. ESPN is trying to fix a perceived problem that hasn't happened. We need to deal with realities. No one should ever feel they should be pulled off a job because of their name. Because of his name he can no longer announce any football games in the south? You are better off facing something like this head on than trying to run away from it.

You're right, it doesn't make sense and I agree that this is political correctness run amok.

However, I can sympathize with ESPN.

A few days ago I read an article about one of the Kardashians who posted something on Twitter and at the end of the tweet, posted an emoji of a fist bump. Her sin: the emoji was a dark-skinned fist rather than a white fist, and she was immediately taken to task by the professionally offended over culture-appropriation or some such ridiculous horseshit.

ESPN knows that even though Robert Lee is Asian, there a more than a few complete fucktards who would make a huge scene over this.

Extremists on both sides should be clubbed like baby seals.

8 minutes ago, Dste Ace said:

Extremists on both sides should be clubbed like baby seals.

Ive been pleading for this for years. But said extremists live on each other. They are each others daily breath, their reason for living. like if something happened to obama cal would prob die in his sleep within a few days once his soul realized its sole reason for staying here is no more

Archived