THE BROWNS BOARD

11 Browns protest

Westside Steve

I think many posters that don't visit the political board got a taste of this world. Yes, many posters here are incapable of setting aside their political team colors. 

Supporting the right to protest is not supporting the protest. Yes, that support is there regardless of the topic.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I think many posters that don't visit the political board got a taste of this world. Yes, many posters here are incapable of setting aside their political team colors. 

Supporting the right to protest is not supporting the protest. Yes, that support is there regardless of the topic.

And because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. The courts have ruled burning the flag is covered under free speech but if you do it then I have a right to be disgusted by your offending action. You may have protested for a good cause but by burning the flag you ruined your chances for many of those offended by your action of wanting to side with your cause. Same with protesting during the anthem you are offending and turning away people who might otherwise be on your side. 

5 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

And because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. The courts have ruled burning the flag is covered under free speech but if you do it then I have a right to be disgusted by your offending action. You may have protested for a good cause but by burning the flag you ruined your chances for many of those offended by your action of wanting to side with your cause. Same with protesting during the anthem you are offending and turning away people who might otherwise be on your side. 

Yes... I know.

How many times were we in the chat explaining it wasn't a violate of free speech that the guy calling gay marriage evil was facing backlash?

Again, political sides don't matter here. It's just the fundamental concept. You have a right to free speech, you have a right to protest, and other have a right to react how they see fit.

That isn't some groundbreaking concept "those damn liberals on here" can't comprehend. It's literally the exact same thing that was brought up in the past when the political sides in the story we're flipped.

49 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes... I know.

How many times were we in the chat explaining it wasn't a violate of free speech that the guy calling gay marriage evil was facing backlash?

Again, political sides don't matter here. It's just the fundamental concept. You have a right to free speech, you have a right to protest, and other have a right to react how they see fit.

That isn't some groundbreaking concept "those damn liberals on here" can't comprehend. It's literally the exact same thing that was brought up in the past when the political sides in the story we're flipped.

The example I remember over that was I was upset about the CEO of Mozilla getting forced to resign over his support for traditional marriage. You defended him getting forced out and said it was totally acceptable. Although you can argue the concept is similar the examples are far apart:  I believe this CEO was not even making any public statements on his support for traditional marriage only I believe somehow the donor list was made public and some were upset he had donated money for the cause of traditional marriage. Also I was not calling for any punishment for the players either just stating my opinion that what they did was disrespectful to many people including myself and it hurt their cause by turning off many who would have normally supported them and their cause.

Mozilla Employees Call for CEO to be Fired for Donating to Prop 8 Campaign

Six years ago, Eich donated $1,000 to the successful Proposition 8 campaign that created a constitutional amendment preserving the traditional definition of marriage in California. Eich, who is famous for creating JavaScript, was a co-founder of Mozilla and was appointed CEO after having served as Mozilla’s chief technology officer since 2005. Since Thursday, several Mozilla employees have called for Eich to resign because of his view on marriage. A few took to Twitter to publicize their opinions: 

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/374734/mozilla-employees-call-ceo-be-fired-donating-prop-8-campaign-alec-torres

Right, I stand by what I said. A public company can remove employees they think are harmful to the business (based on their beliefs/actions... Not race, sex, etc). Whether you like it or not, being anti gay marriage is the minority position and shrinking in support. 

Also, if a player holds a controversial political view that is deemed disruptive, the owners have a right to not sign them. 

This is much easier when you're consistent in your beliefs, instead of consistent in towing the party line.

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Right, I stand by what I said. A public company can remove employees they think are harmful to the business (based on their beliefs/actions... Not race, sex, etc). Whether you like it or not, being anti gay marriage is the minority position and shrinking in support. 

Also, if a player holds a controversial political view that is deemed disruptive, the owners have a right to not sign them. 

This is much easier when you're consistent in your beliefs, instead of consistent in towing the party line.

Again Woody this person was forced to resign not over anything he said but because a donor list was obtained (illegally I believe) that showed he donated to proposition 8. He never stated his personal views on this to any employee and was not stirring any controversy but he made a donation to proposition 8 on traditional marriage that had the support of the people and passed. How far do you want to go with this? How would you feel if the situation had been he had donated money to support gay marriage and those who believed in traditional marriage ran him out? 

Thank you Jim Brown:

Jim Brown criticizes Kaepernick-style protests: 'I don't desecrate my flag'

Pro Football Hall of Famer and Cleveland Browns legend Jim Brown panned current football players who choose to protest during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner, saying “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem.”

Brown, who fought for social causes throughout his career, told ThePostGame.com he empathizes with jobless quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who began the trend of kneeling during the anthem last season when he played for the San Francisco 49ers. But Brown said Kaepernick and other players who demonstrate – such as a dozen Cleveland players who knelt Monday – are going about their crusade the wrong way.

“I’m going to give you the real deal: I’m an American,” Brown said. “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I’m not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I’m going to work within those situations. But this is my country, and I’ll work out the problems, but I’ll do it in an intelligent manner.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/25/jim-brown-criticizes-kaepernick-style-protests-dont-desecrate-my-flag.html

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Again Woody this person was forced to resign not over anything he said but because a donor list was obtained (illegally I believe) that showed he donated to proposition 8. He never stated his personal views on this to any employee and was not stirring any controversy but he made a donation to proposition 8 on traditional marriage that had the support of the people and passed. How far do you want to go with this? How would you feel if the situation had been he had donated money to support gay marriage and those who believed in traditional marriage ran him out? 

So when you all fell to ur knees and offered trumpnoral services when ge suggested boycotting starbucks for saying happy holidays on their stupid fucking cups, wtf obf? The mozilla guy resigned because people were calling for a boy ott of firefox. It sucks his personal business came out, but oh well....it did comevout and peopke were like "fuck firefox". So what was mozilla supposed to do?

its amazing to me how easily you people change ur standards and principles on a dime to suit ur immediate usually secular grievances

19 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Steve ur a moron. I mean you really are one he k of a stupid guy and what you just wrote is definitive proof. Ironclad now. You equated kneeling...however pointless and ill conceived.....with doing the nazi salute which we're all quite aware of its meaning.

you can make a perfectly reasonable argument against kaepernicks kneeling, in that it really diesnt mean shit and means even less if he doesnt follow it up with any off field activism on his own time. But you're not intelligent enough it seems. 

Sounds like you've been huffing those industrial solvents you were hawking before you got canned.

WSS

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I would say people would be within their right to protest. Like they have attempted to before (Oreo's?). But being that's not the majority view right now, it might not work. 

Again, your personal religious and personal beliefs are preventing you from having a consistent view on the subject.

These players are doing this ostensibly to protest the 'divisions' in our country when in reality all this act does is to further widen existing divisions or to create new divisions. There are SO many things a professional player can or could do with their notoriety and income stream to HELP heal the divisions in our country but very very few do. They talk about bringing 'awareness.' Why is no one focusing their 'awareness' for example to what brought Tamir Rice to the park waving around a realistic toy gun and aiming it at passing cars. The reality is that kid never had a chance. Because he was failed by his parents and anyone resembling a role model. Yet somehow his pathetic excuse for a 'mother' cashed in. I'm not giving the cops a pass either. The cop that shot him should never have been re-employed by any agency after his abject failure during his first go around. He was ill prepared for what he rightly perceived as a hostile situation. You try being a cop and rolling up on someone waving a gun around. Talk about a thankless task. I wouldn't want that job. Meanwhile you have all these hate groups fomenting dissension. The KKK, Antifa, Black Lives Matter. I can't keep up but make no mistake....they are ALL hate groups trying to demonize some 'other' group of people without EVER trying to offer anything resembling a solution. So I'm to believe these players were praying for peace? We've all seen what's in Isaiah Crowells heart and mind already. His solution is to slit the throat of cops. How nice. Go check Jabrill Peppers rap sheet. I'm sure he's a pacifist. Insert eyeroll here. Some of these players 'may' have meant well by this gesture but I guarantee for the majority of them it was just a middle finger to their mythical "The Man." What these players and EVERYONE should be doing is getting THEIR house right. Raise your kids with respect and love for themselves and their fellow man. If you ignore them and let them raise themselves you get what is happening all too often throughout our failing society. Drug overdoses and violent crime with no concern for the consequences. Good luck to these players making the paycheck they do now when the country they seem to detest so much has splintered apart. Go ahead. Whatever stupid 'side' you've chosen, be it Trump, Hillary, Democrats, Republicans, Black Lives Matter, Nazis, KKK. YOU are at fault. Society just like a football team is built from the ground up. Get your family right. Get YOU right and do something proactive rather than trying to piss off someone else.

4 hours ago, Furnier said:

These players are doing this ostensibly to protest the 'divisions' in our country when in reality all this act does is to further widen existing divisions or to create new divisions. There are SO many things a professional player can or could do with their notoriety and income stream to HELP heal the divisions in our country but very very few do. They talk about bringing 'awareness.' Why is no one focusing their 'awareness' for example to what brought Tamir Rice to the park waving around a realistic toy gun and aiming it at passing cars. The reality is that kid never had a chance. Because he was failed by his parents and anyone resembling a role model. Yet somehow his pathetic excuse for a 'mother' cashed in. I'm not giving the cops a pass either. The cop that shot him should never have been re-employed by any agency after his abject failure during his first go around. He was ill prepared for what he rightly perceived as a hostile situation. You try being a cop and rolling up on someone waving a gun around. Talk about a thankless task. I wouldn't want that job. Meanwhile you have all these hate groups fomenting dissension. The KKK, Antifa, Black Lives Matter. I can't keep up but make no mistake....they are ALL hate groups trying to demonize some 'other' group of people without EVER trying to offer anything resembling a solution. So I'm to believe these players were praying for peace? We've all seen what's in Isaiah Crowells heart and mind already. His solution is to slit the throat of cops. How nice. Go check Jabrill Peppers rap sheet. I'm sure he's a pacifist. Insert eyeroll here. Some of these players 'may' have meant well by this gesture but I guarantee for the majority of them it was just a middle finger to their mythical "The Man." What these players and EVERYONE should be doing is getting THEIR house right. Raise your kids with respect and love for themselves and their fellow man. If you ignore them and let them raise themselves you get what is happening all too often throughout our failing society. Drug overdoses and violent crime with no concern for the consequences. Good luck to these players making the paycheck they do now when the country they seem to detest so much has splintered apart. Go ahead. Whatever stupid 'side' you've chosen, be it Trump, Hillary, Democrats, Republicans, Black Lives Matter, Nazis, KKK. YOU are at fault. Society just like a football team is built from the ground up. Get your family right. Get YOU right and do something proactive rather than trying to piss off someone else.

Well said Coop.

Glad to see you around, it's been awhile..

WSS

Ofc its nothing more than a fuck you to "the man", because none of them do shit on their own time. But that being said, i still dont give a shit what some athlete does during the national anthem. He can sit, stand....do fucking yoga....his business. So long as someone doesnt impede someone else's ability to observe the anthem how he/she feels fit.....than fuck it why does anyone care. 

3 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Ofc its nothing more than a fuck you to "the man", because none of them do shit on their own time. But that being said, i still dont give a shit what some athlete does during the national anthem. He can sit, stand....do fucking yoga....his business. So long as someone doesnt impede someone else's ability to observe the anthem how he/she feels fit.....than fuck it why does anyone care. 

Simple reason is that I, you, we and most of the fans are the man.

Similar to any other member of the entertainment industry, if you start off by flipping the bird to your fans they will naturally be less likely to root for you.

WSS

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Please steve....are u that profoundly clueless they think the avg white dude who  hasnt made in his lifetime what they spent at the titty bars last weekend, "the man"?  Be serious here for once

Serious? Now you just wasting my time. I'm sure you can tell the difference between being a sports team fan and a strip club Patron. As a matter of fact that's one of the reasons I don't like strip clubs and don't go to them. Same as a hooker. Wouldn't you find it a little bit humiliating to be throwing your money away to someone who's only being nice to you because she's getting paid? With sports I'd wager that all of us are Browns fans for no other reason than territorial loyalty. Pride in our city etc etc and we want our athletes to be happy to be here and proud to represent us. So if these guys are openly hostile it's just not as much fun. Maybe it is for you I doubt it and I don't expect the truth from you though. Let's say you are standing in a line as some musical artist was giving out autographs you tell him you have always loved some particular song of his especially because it was your parents favorite song when they were dating. He looks at you and says that song is a piece of shit and your parents are idiots. Do you still want the autograph?

WSS

15 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Players stood arm in arm this time.   

So are we good now?

No they pissed all over us. I expect steve to leave this forum and be a patfan4life at the patriotsboard. The browns should be disbanded for shitting all over their fan base like that. 

We'll miss you steve buh bye

15 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Players stood arm in arm this time.   

So are we good now?

Yep. Thank you to Jimmy Brown & thanks to our young players who listened & made a change.

Mike

Archived