THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. New York Giants Monday Night Football Preseason Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

A few musings.

Sold on Dayes and Schobert this game.

Not impressed with Njoku so far. For a guy that can jump so high it doesn't seem like he tries to jump so high.

I agree ... and that damn Peppers is gonna be a star here, ugh he is making it really hard to hate his UofM roots.

Njoku looks stiff, maybe it is timidness, but wasn't thrilled with his route running at all.

3 hours ago, Browns57 said:

Nice game by Kessler last night! I was really impressed with the zip he had on those passes. Looks like his arm strength has really improved. I would like to see him start he season with Kizer as backup. I just don't see Osweiler ever amounting to anything more in the league so why waste the time. Both Kizer and Kessler have upside and since our receivers look pretty bad we are going to need a qb who doesn't turn the ball over in order to help the defense and keep us in games. 

Agree... at a minimum Kess got back in the starter conversation last nite. The last out he threw for the first was a very nice throw. I was sorry to see him not allowed to finish the drive.

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

A few musings.

• Sold on Dayes and Schobert this game.
  • Was surprised at the level of intensity and how long the starters played. 
  • Did Orchard play? I didn't see him or see his name in the box score.
  • Not impressed with Njoku so far. For a guy that can jump so high it doesn't seem like he tries to jump so high.

I'll see your few and add a few...

• My QB list is now: Kess - Kizer - Brock
  • Dayes is now my #2 RB. He can do everything Duke does plus break an arm tackle. Put Duke at WR where he can get into space quicker.
  • Nice to see a FB with some skills again.
  • Need to grade them, but after some early blunders seems like the OTs played well... including young Roderick at LT.

On the D-side:

• Our DL is very active and disruptive and deep...
  • Schobert looks like a placeholder. Too slow to POA missing early attack angles... ends up stacking and guessing too often. He's a long shot, but our 220# hybrid, Olugbode, played MLB after Schobert's stint and looked good.
  • Our 2ndary, for a bunch of no names, held up pretty well against a pretty good passing attack. Not cause for celebration, but maybe a little optimism...

Lots to like and dislike about last night:

The D looks to be improved from anything we've seen in recent years - Not great, but it will be better all year and that should help keep games as close as possible, especially with our anemic offense. 

Duke and Garrett both looked over rated to me - based on everything I heard about the both of them in camp, I guess I just expected them to jump off the screen.

We are in trouble at the QB position - Brock looked slow and lethargic, Kizer looks exactly like a 21yr old should look, Kess looked to be the best option we have, and Hogan will be cut.

Special Teams looked good.

Peppers will be our most impactful rookie.

The defense looked fast.

Matt Dayes might already be the best RB on the team.

Haden looks D U N - Done. 

Overall, we are 2-0 and even though it's only pre-season, winning is winning. 

5 hours ago, ATENEARS said:

Njoku looks stiff, maybe it is timidness, but wasn't thrilled with his route running at all.

seemed to play like he was still protecting his back injury? taped/braced could have thrown his timing off? preseason effort? but those weren't Njoku full jump efforts before back injury at camp 

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Boy's got some balance!

his RB coach at NCSU has a great drill to keep your pads square to the tackler. but Dayes takes it a step further with his hips also staying square but his feet can still jump cut without slowing down..Dayes was RB 29 off the board, but the kid imo was a solid #15 RB imo..Eagles went RB-Donnel Pumphrey-5'9" 176lbs. with 8.5" ball catching hands..Matt Dayes is also 5'9" but 205lbs. with 10.5" ball catching Paws..Lets see what some of these scouts see that GM's just seem to ignore  

Here's my random mumblings...

-Man, the defense may not end being top 10 but there's so much more talent and depth out there. It's so refreshing to see guys do the little things right like make form tackles, line up correctly, etc. There's obviously room for improvement but I'm pleasantly surprised. 

-Dayes looks like one of those steals of the draft. He looked like a season pro out there, made some excellent cuts.

-We won. Seriously, I know it doesn't count but let these guys get the feeling of winning is such a nice change of pace. 

-Brock Osweiler is Brandon Weeden 2.0. This guy beyond sucks, and it shows in his previous and current tape. If they truly don't feel Kizer is ready, Kessler brings more to the table than Osweiler does. Seriously, this guy just doesn't fucking have it. Kessler with a strong run game and some PAP is a much better option than this bum. 

-I'm not worried about all the penalties on the OL. I'm hopeful this Saturday all the starters can play at least a bit.

-I have to admit, I'm getting tired of all the gimmick formations. I feel like it never fools the defense and only causes miscues on the offense. Once or twice, fine. But seriously, this 10+ times a game isn't working. Hopefully this is a feeling out process though.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Lots to like and dislike about last night:

The D looks to be improved from anything we've seen in recent years - Not great, but it will be better all year and that should help keep games as close as possible, especially with our anemic offense.

Duke and Garrett both looked over rated to me - based on everything I heard about the both of them in camp, I guess I just expected them to jump off the screen.

We are in trouble at the QB position - Brock looked slow and lethargic, Kizer looks exactly like a 21yr old should look, Kess looked to be the best option we have, and Hogan will be cut.

Special Teams looked good.

Peppers will be our most impactful rookie.

The defense looked fast.

Matt Dayes might already be the best RB on the team.

Haden looks D U N - Done.

Overall, we are 2-0 and even though it's only pre-season, winning is winning.

the offense better have more sustained drives this yr or the d will do their usual nosedive as the season progresses due to being on the field toooooo long...happens every yr. and with these qb's we have, i don't see many sustained drives...i see it as gruden put it last night, maybe 4-5 wins. which means yet another cellar dweller yr...

Just now, browns52 said:

i see it as gruden put it last night, maybe 4-5 wins. which means yet another cellar dweller yr...

Well, coming off a 1 win season (where we also lost all 4 pre-season games) if we win 5 games this year, that would be a damn good turn around..... and one that would set us up for a 7-9 win season in '18. 

Gotta be realistic here............ 

how does Garrett look "overrated"? I'm not sure I saw him get stopped in his tracks one time yesterday. He's taking the shortest corner to the QB than of our 2nd and 3rd year pass rushers. And he's not getting moved blown around in the run game. So for "game number 2" of his career....not too fucking shabby. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Though...Kessler did seem to be the most accurate passer.  I believe he completed every throw he attempted. Many were just short dumpoffs, but a few had some distance to them.

Yup.  At the time I posted "And Kessler sucks too", he had fumbled the handoff to the RB giving the ball right back to the Giants.

He DID go on to complete several passes after that and actually preserved the win by getting first downs and keeping the clock going.

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

seemed to play like he was still protecting his back injury? taped/braced could have thrown his timing off? preseason effort? but those weren't Njoku full jump efforts before back injury at camp 

his RB coach at NCSU has a great drill to keep your pads square to the tackler. but Dayes takes it a step further with his hips also staying square but his feet can still jump cut without slowing down..Dayes was RB 29 off the board, but the kid imo was a solid #15 RB imo..Eagles went RB-Donnel Pumphrey-5'9" 176lbs. with 8.5" ball catching hands..Matt Dayes is also 5'9" but 205lbs. with 10.5" ball catching Paws..Lets see what some of these scouts see that GM's just seem to ignore  

Actually, I think he was the #30  RB taken....which I think is why he chose to wear uniform #30....to remind him. Isn't that sorta what Brady did with #12...he was like the #12 QB taken the year he was drafted?  Or something like that.

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Actually, I think he was the #30  RB taken....which I think is why he chose to wear uniform #30....to remind him. Isn't that sorta what Brady did with #12...he was like the #12 QB taken the year he was drafted?  Or something like that.

F Brady:D..Dayes wears #27..Heard on radio Dayes was 29th RB off the board..Well they wrong.. He went 26th..Duke Johnson won't give up #29 but he can have it..Who's wearing #26..give it up..https//www.espn.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/position/rb

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

how does Garrett look "overrated"? I'm not sure I saw him get stopped in his tracks one time yesterday. He's taking the shortest corner to the QB than of our 2nd and 3rd year pass rushers. And he's not getting moved blown around in the run game. So for "game number 2" of his career....not too fucking shabby. 

He looks adequate so far, but nowhere near what the Cleveland press reported during camp..... Didn't say bust, just said overrated - so far.

Time will tell if he is the next Bruce Smith or Courtney Brown. 

8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

F Brady:D..Dayes wears #27..Heard on radio Dayes was 29th RB off the board..Well they wrong.. He went 26th..Duke Johnson won't give up #29 but he can have it..Who's wearing #26..give it up..https//www.espn.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/position/rb

Who was wearing #30?

7 minutes ago, D Bone said:

He looks adequate so far, but nowhere near what the Cleveland press reported during camp..... Didn't say bust, just said overrated - so far.

And  here is someone who agrees with exactly what I said during and after the game. Flowers was holding/bulldogging by the neck every damn play. They didn't call it so he kept right on doing it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-ereck-flowers-holds-own-against-myles-garrett-1.14081619

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Who was wearing #30?

#30 Kindred..#31 is Wilds?.. #26 Marcus Burley..give it up to Dayes..  Brantley, nothing in the books..but kept LB's clean to make tackle & turned many plays the other way..The other LB they like to replace Tank is James Burgess..3 solo tackles lastnite..   

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

-I'm not worried about all the penalties on the OL. I'm hopeful this Saturday all the starters can play at least a bit.

Agree... I want to see Joe out there alongside Bito, who supposedly is now moving around well. 1st team OL for at least one quarter.

55 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And  here is someone who agrees with exactly what I said during and after the game. Flowers was holding/bulldogging by the neck every damn play. They didn't call it so he kept right on doing it. http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-ereck-flowers-holds-own-against-myles-garrett-1.14081619

Myles needs lessons in drawing attention to the holds... flailing arms is one solid technique.

They'll call that shit in season. Im not worried about myles. In 2 games he's shown a greater repertoire of inside/outside moves and an ability to piwer through a tackles outside shoulder, than our other two 2nd year players.

what im concerned about are teams double teaming garrett and no one on the other side to make them pay for it

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And  here is someone who agrees with exactly what I said during and after the game. Flowers was holding/bulldogging by the neck every damn play. They didn't call it so he kept right on doing it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-ereck-flowers-holds-own-against-myles-garrett-1.14081619

EXACTLY. Flowers was desperately grabbing Garrett by the shoulder, etc, trying desperately to slow him down. No calls. I couldn't

believe it. He was nearly tackling Garrett, and no freaking holding calls? that just doesn't sit well with me. I don't get it.

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

EXACTLY. Flowers was desperately grabbing Garrett by the shoulder, etc, trying desperately to slow him down. No calls. I couldn't

believe it. He was nearly tackling Garrett, and no freaking holding calls? that just doesn't sit well with me. I don't get it.

I became so used to that way of handling him in the SEC, I thought it had become normalized to the NFL as well. Coaches are going to have to work on refs before play even starts by showing videos on their iphones about the measures desperate OTs are taking with him regularly. And Myles is so used to it he just does not complain. That hands to the face you see in the article got even worse as that play progressed and it wasn't called either.

Regardless of the sport rookies simply don't get calls that vets do... especially at the "star level"... but they'll come.

And I wasn't kidding about the "arm flailing"... have to draw the zebras attention to the foul.

15 hours ago, D Bone said:

Still called Joey Bosa "average".         

....  just throwin' that out there.  

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Still called Joey Bosa "average".         

....  just throwin' that out there.  

Hopefully Garrett is a stud, and really he has to be with all of the accolades of being a once in a decade talent and being the #1 pick, anything else is a bust. 

As for Bosa, yea he's better than average.... he's adequate. 

8 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Hopefully Garrett is a stud, and really he has to be with all of the accolades of being a once in a decade talent and being the #1 pick, anything else is a bust. 

As for Bosa, yea he's better than average.... he's adequate. 

Well played. 

Archived