THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon

domcucch1994

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Well, looks like we can set aside the ""Josh will be here for the Indy game rumor""....why am I not surprised?

Are you sure that was Indy 2017?

I really think we're going to know Gordon's future very soon. He's out of rehab, his application for reinstatement is probably submitted, right? He completed a 90 freaking day inpatient treatment plan, and that's pretty serious guys. That's a quarter of a year, living in a clinical setting, receiving treatment, working on issues, striving to be better. How is that NOT what the NFL wants? To say we need him is the understatement of the year, and the NFL knows this. They don't WANT our Browns to completely suck because it actually hurts their product. I fully believe the NFL will reinstate Gordon IF (biggest if ever btw) IF Gordon really did everything they asked. 

Not so sure its the effort vs. the timing on this rehab stint.

Just have to wait... any contribution will be appreciated.

So apparently Josh Gordon is back in Cleveland. There were tweets/Snapchat yesterday about his arrival and the hotel where he's staying. He does have a child here so he could be there for that or is he close to reinstatement?

It's like we all know...if...IF he's possibly reinstated, we likely won't hear a thing until one day seeing a story that says he's back.  Just as likely, maybe MORE likely, is the opposite story saying, "Gordon rejected again."  The NFL really tries to keep these things under wraps, so I wouldn't expect much info until the decision is announced...either way.

The good news for both Josh AND our fans is that the Browns have no choice but to keep him.  As bad as our WR's currently are right now, we don't have the luxury of playing moral compass.  If Josh can play, we'll throw him out there.  I can almost promise it.  

Cmon Josh...if there's anything that can help a young QB, it's a guy like you.

5 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Pro Football Talk are claiming Josh hasn't even applied for reinstatement as yet ...

The application has to be done by Roger God Sm-Hell..He's a very busy man for a dope right now..Send Poe to push Pen;)

21 hours ago, MDDawg said:

So apparently Josh Gordon is back in Cleveland. There were tweets/Snapchat yesterday about his arrival and the hotel where he's staying. He does have a child here so he could be there for that or is he close to reinstatement?

It's where he scores his dope.

No reinstatement application from Josh Gordon, yet

Posted by Mike Florio on October 3, 2017, 12:53 PM EDT
zz0xotm5nthlm2qzodk4ndayyme5njhlzjbjyju0
Getty Images

Browns receive Josh Gordon ended a 90-day rehab stint last month. He is eligible to apply for reinstatement to the NFL. Per a league source, that hasn’t happened yet.

Gordon hasn’t filed yet even though former Olympian Tim Montgomery, who has been assisting Gordon, has said, “He’s coming. . . I think he’s going to be there this season.”

Even if Gordon files this week, the league has no deadline or timetable for resolving a reinstatement request. And since Gordon currently doesn’t have an agent to help Gordon through the process of filing his petition, the application may not move as quickly as it otherwise would.

Gordon, a second-round pick in the 2012 supplemental draft, last played in 2014, appearing in five games and catching 24 passes for 303 yards. In 2013, Gordon generated 1,646 receiving yards in 14 games.

It’s a shame that his talent has been wasted, both by his inability to comply with the league’s rules regarding off-field substance use and abuse — and by the league’s insistence to police the private lives of employees for things completely unrelated to their unemployment.

17 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Sounds about right.  He's probably already smoked a fatty and knows that he won't be reinstated.  

5 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Posted by Mike Florio on October 3, 2017, 12:53 PM EDT
zz0xotm5nthlm2qzodk4ndayyme5njhlzjbjyju0
Getty Images

Even if Gordon files this week, the league has no deadline or timetable for resolving a reinstatement request. And since Gordon currently doesn’t have an agent to help Gordon through the process of filing his petition, the application may not move as quickly as it otherwise would.

Mike Florio & his damn coded double talk..I believe? Gordon or the players union can file PETITION stating "Hey I Want Reinstatement" per League Form..But Roger can Form APPLICATION to his Standards for his stamp of approval...could be wrong? but for damn sure,, I ever filed for being a Dope..

he's probably apply, and get re-instated for the last game of the season, get a signing bonus, and pull a hammy

in the practice on friday.

I don't care anymore about Gordon coming back, I think he's a lost cause.

52 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Guessing this will be Goodell's or someone else's fault? 

It is a bit curious he hasn't applied yet. Perhaps he's also trying to get his paternity issue ironed out to further demonstrate his taking on adult responsibility. Honestly whether Hue / Sashi want to bring him back or not I think cutting him if reinstated would cause a mass fan exodus. 

17 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

It is a bit curious he hasn't applied yet. Perhaps he's also trying to get his paternity issue ironed out to further demonstrate his taking on adult responsibility. Honestly whether Hue / Sashi want to bring him back or not I think cutting him if reinstated would cause a mass fan exodus. 

Cutting a guy who has done everything to sabotage his own football career, since the day he enrolled in college to today would be the straw that broke the camel's back concerning Browns fans and their loyalty to this franchise?

I mean, the season is a quarter of the way over with, so if there's any hope of getting this thing done, it'd have to be done NOW. The only thing I can think of is that the NFL and Gordon could POSSIBLY have an arrangement, in that Josh continues to stay clean AND attends another rehab (which he attended), and if he's met the other conditions, his application will be reviewed with the assumption that he'll be reinstated. Think about it. Why would he attend another rehab stint? He just went earlier this year. There's been zero indication of poor behavior or failure to adhere to rules, other than speculation that he didn't do something right in August (nothing confirmed). And like the article said, there's no timetable for decisions on applications. It could literally take 30 minutes. 

Look, the NFL wants to help Gordon. They want a good story showing they are compassionate and they want to help people. The NFL has enough negative press right now, and they know it. If Gordon truly is sober and he truly has done what was asked, then he has a shot. What would be the reason to keep him suspended? To punish? To prove a point? It literally doesn't make sense. Josh has made his bed, we get it, but at some point the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Jesus Christ the man smokes weed for crying loud. Here in Florida you can get a dang prescription for it, and it's far safer than any opioid pain killer. 

You wanna talk about a shot in the arm? You want to see a WR who can win one on one match ups? Someone who can get deep or get yards after the catch? Give me Josh Gordon, Myles Garrett, Jamie Collins, and Danny Shelton, and then give me Corey Coleman back and let's see this team. 

11 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I mean, the season is a quarter of the way over with, so if there's any hope of getting this thing done, it'd have to be done NOW. The only thing I can think of is that the NFL and Gordon could POSSIBLY have an arrangement, in that Josh continues to stay clean AND attends another rehab (which he attended), and if he's met the other conditions, his application will be reviewed with the assumption that he'll be reinstated. Think about it. Why would he attend another rehab stint? He just went earlier this year. There's been zero indication of poor behavior or failure to adhere to rules, other than speculation that he didn't do something right in August (nothing confirmed). And like the article said, there's no timetable for decisions on applications. It could literally take 30 minutes. 

Look, the NFL wants to help Gordon. They want a good story showing they are compassionate and they want to help people. The NFL has enough negative press right now, and they know it. If Gordon truly is sober and he truly has done what was asked, then he has a shot. What would be the reason to keep him suspended? To punish? To prove a point? It literally doesn't make sense. Josh has made his bed, we get it, but at some point the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Jesus Christ the man smokes weed for crying loud. Here in Florida you can get a dang prescription for it, and it's far safer than any opioid pain killer. 

You wanna talk about a shot in the arm? You want to see a WR who can win one on one match ups? Someone who can get deep or get yards after the catch? Give me Josh Gordon, Myles Garrett, Jamie Collins, and Danny Shelton, and then give me Corey Coleman back and let's see this team. 

And switch out Kizer for Hogan and we'll have ourselves a CONTENDER!

I'm as frustrated with Kizer (at times) as anybody, but even I understand it's going to take a lot of time, and even more patience.  I knew it going into the season, and sometimes DURING the season I seem to be forgetting this fact, but now that I'm calm, I realize we need to give the guy time.  The bigger issue is we need to give him WEAPONS, and I'm not sure we're going to be able to accomplish that.  We can speculate all day long about Gordon, but I'm guessing the smart money is on Gordon never playing a down for us, right?  Believe me, I WANT him back, and it APPEARS he has a chance, but our front office needs to make something else happen.  Other teams completely realize we're desperate, so that might be holding up some possible trades.  I've read a few times that the Fins want to move Landry...well...let's figure out a way to grab him.  

The most torturous aspect of Gordon being suspended is thinking about what "could have been" this year if we had him.  I don't ever see Coleman as being a legit "#1 WR Threat" in the NFL, BUT I do see him as being an awesome #2 guy.  Somebody who can get 1000 yards and make the tough catches.  Perhaps a nasty slot WR who puts a ton of pressure on the middle of the field.  But for him to truly reach his maximum potential, Coleman needs that #1 guy to open up the field, stretch it vertically, remove the other team's top CB.  If we had Gordon and Coleman out there together, it'd be pretty nasty.  As it stands, we literally don't have a single WR who can consistently win on press-man coverage, and it's killing our young QB.  I'm sure this article is posted somewhere on the forum, but I'll post it below to illustrate some frustrations that many of us have about Kizer, and also some we have with Hue's play-calling. 

On the first play, watch how Kizer does a wonderful job eluding pressure, and then gets to the outside, which forces the defense to come to him.  It's going ok, but Kizer doesn't keep his head up and COMPLETELY MISSES a wide open Telfer.  A good pass goes for 30 yards, and mediocre pass which stops Telfer probably nets 20.  It would've started the game out on a super high note, something we haven't done IN FOREVER.  But instead, Kizer doesn't see him, and just runs for 3 yards or so.  After the Britt penalty (I mean, REALLY?!) we have a 3rd and 8, and everyone and their grandmother knows the pressure is coming.  As we all said, the Bengals front 7 would be a force, so what does Hue Jackson draw up on 3rd and 8?  He draws up deep routes for basically everybody, which will ALL take forever to develop.  Absolutely NOTHING to the middle of the field.  Nothing.  Kizer gets hit basically before anybody gets their route completed....and take a look at the middle of the field.  This is what drives people crazy about Hue Jackson right now.  Why would you call a play that takes forever to develop when you know Cincy has a tough front 7 and they'll be coming for blood?

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/10/3/16413924/film-review-browns-opening-offensive-drive-vs-bengals

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Cutting a guy who has done everything to sabotage his own football career, since the day he enrolled in college to today would be the straw that broke the camel's back concerning Browns fans and their loyalty to this franchise?

I did not defend his poor decisions. Having said that I do think he has been scrutinized and penalized more than others. Aside from that yes I stand by what I said. This team is completely devoid of talent at the WR position. Gordon is a top 5 talent and its my belief he can step back on the field and within a few games be right back at that level. IF he has done everything asked of him he needs to be back on the field for us.  There are a large mass of fans who believe that his weed transgressions don't matter (myself not included) and a large group who believe he belongs back on our team if hes fulfilled what was asked of him. Add those two together and yes I believe that is a majority of fans that would be outraged if he were to be cut or traded upon reinstatement. 

If I understand the rules and his circumsatnce correctly, then Josh needs 6 games as an active to accrue this season... and be a 2018 FA.

Six games would be pushing it to flash some of the old "Flash" and improve his FA payday... especially in light of the credibility/availability deficit he's running, but that might be part of the calculation. Another part of which being that he wouldn't have to flash much to standout from this WR corps.

Timing might be aimed at our BYE week and its added practice time following the London game, our season's midway point. But given Roger's past propensity to drag his feet... butt... knuckles... when it comes to decisions on Josh, that would be cutting it close.

And if the Browns are smart they will communicate that to Roger so he does NOT bring him back with 6 games to go. Shmuck Gordon if that's his plan. Force him to come pay back part of what he owes this team.

To continue the guessing game, I'm assuming Gordon hasn't reapplied yet because he doesn't have an agent, and he's busy getting the application documentation together.  I would think the application isn't as simple as filling out a small form and faxing it to Roger.  I'm thinking the application needs a butt-load of supporting documentation, such as medical records, therapy notes, character affirmations, and lord knows what else.  All of this would be difficult to compile for a guy with no agent, and you know Josh wants to have every scrap of supporting info ready to send before he finally gives the app to the NFL.  

I'm guessing we'll know either way before the end of the month.  That would give him more than a month out of rehab, and if he keeps his nose clean for that duration (figuratively and literally btw), I'm betting the NFL grants him permission to play.  The only reason they wouldn't let him play is if there's something we don't know about.  As it stands right now, the guy is battling a serious disease/condition.  Very few people facing addiction get it right the first time, or even the 4th time.  It takes repeated efforts combined with support and proper medical/therapeutic practices for any success to last.  

For some reason he doesn't seem that motivated by financial gain. If he was it seems like it would have been pretty easy to stay away from the pipe long enough to make some Millions. Now if we are to assume that marijuana is not actually addictive, which his case would tend to belie, we have to understand he lived a comparatively Frugal life since being booted so a small payday might be enough? He might just be mentally unsound. Otoh he might be ready for a comeback. A cheap gamble for us either way. How much worse could it be than Sammie Coates?

WSS

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And if the Browns are smart they will communicate that to Roger so he does NOT bring him back with 6 games to go. Shmuck Gordon if that's his plan. Force him to come pay back part of what he owes this team.

What exactlyin $$$ terms does "he owe" this team? He's only been paid for his active time.

Archived