THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon

domcucch1994

On 11/9/2017 at 11:28 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Plus 3 Gip-we need a WR that can get open AND catch the ball, talents that seem to have eluded ours this year. We just can't count on JG. It may be past history, but history is often predictive.

Can't believe how much interest this thread has got,    shows how bad the Browns need any warm bodies that might be able to catch a football or maybe stretch the field......it's really hurting the young QBs.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/7/2017 at 6:27 PM, jiggins7919 said:

One thing that concerns me is the speculation that Josh is trying to get out of Cleveland by saying things like using drugs before every game. In worried we'll just cut him because of the backlash. 

Ha- we tried trading for AJ McCarron. Right now Hue is so desperate for wins, no way they're dumping Josh. What would worry me is if Gordon returns to his old form Trader Sashi would unload him for a first round pick. 

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Ha- we tried trading for AJ McCarron. Right now Hue is so desperate for wins, no way they're dumping Josh. What would worry me is if Gordon returns to his old form Trader Sashi would unload him for a first round pick. 

Well....I would probably make that deal....all things considered.  (particularly the risk that comes with Gordon)

On 11/9/2017 at 11:09 AM, The Gipper said:

Serious question.  No snark, no assholery...just a simple honest question:   What difference does it make?  We have not had him for like 2.5 years. So...has anyone really been counting on his return?  (besides PoG?)  If we get something out of him...we get something. If we get nothing...well...that is the same we have gotten for the past 2.5 years....so we will really be no worse off.

Lets put it this way:  I do NOT think that by Gordon coming back...even if he plays those last 5 games fairly well.....that this team should still not consider taking a top notch WR in the draft next year.

Well, judging from the 14 pages of this thread, it makes a huge difference to many people on this board. I think it is worth pointing out that when he had his one big season the Browns won a grand total of 4 games. Personally, I don't think he will make much of a difference for the Browns on the field for the simple reason that we don't have a quarterback who can get him the ball. And no, I don't have any confidence that he's going to get through the offseason without fukking up.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

This was posted in the Josh Gordon thread earlier.

That is true and he's still a freak. :lol:

.....The 26-year-old wideout has created a brand around being Flash, even using a lightning bolt as a logo in homage to the sci-fi comic hero.

If he did indeed run the reported 4.3, he’s shaved two-tenths of a second off his time since his pro day workout back in 2012:

Browns fans can’t help but get excited about the potential Gordon brings to the underwhelming passing offense once he returns in two weeks......

3 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

Well, judging from the 14 pages of this thread, it makes a huge difference to many people on this board. I think it is worth pointing out that when he had his one big season the Browns won a grand total of 4 games. Personally, I don't think he will make much of a difference for the Browns on the field for the simple reason that we don't have a quarterback who can get him the ball. And no, I don't have any confidence that he's going to get through the offseason without fukking up.

Hey you never know maybe they might win a close one with him......besides he probably needs the money, eh?

12 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

Yea, but who did we have throwing to him when he was setting NFL records for receiving?  Hoyer and Weeden maybe?

Were Hoyer and Weeden much, if any, of an upgrade from what we have now?

On 11/10/2017 at 12:22 PM, hoorta said:

If someone offered the Browns a first round pick for Josh Gordon a GM would be certifiably insane NOT to take it.

55 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If someone offered the Browns a first round pick for Josh Gordon a GM would be certifiably insane NOT to take it.

To quote the late, great MLK, "I have a dream!"....My dream is that we fire Ryan Grigson, he accepts a GM position elsewhere & offers us a 1st for Gordon. What the hell, he gave us a 1st for Trent!!!!

Mike

Mucking around- I found most of Gordon's interview with GQ- it's an interesting read.  https://www.gq.com/story/josh-gordon-nfl-2017-interview?mbid=social_twitter

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

So we can take another Corey Coleman with the pick? :lol: Ghoolie is still POed we gifted Julio Jones to Atlanta. MHO? A clean Gordon returning to his 1,600 yard form is at least on Julio's level. 

Just now, hoorta said:

Mucking around- I found most of Gordon's interview with GQ- it's an interesting read.  https://www.gq.com/story/josh-gordon-nfl-2017-interview?mbid=social_twitter

So we can take another Corey Coleman with the pick? :lol: Ghoolie is still POed we gifted Julio Jones to Atlanta. MHO? A clean Gordon returning to his 1,600 yard form is at least on Julio's level. 

I would like the chances someone of value would be taken with that hypothetical 1st rounder better than Josh Gordon staying clean and remaining on the field for an extended time.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, but who did we have throwing to him when he was setting NFL records for receiving?  Hoyer and Weeden maybe?

Yes.

Season(s) Quarterback(s)
2017 DeShone Kizer (7) / Kevin Hogan (1)
2016 Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3) / Cody Kessler (8)
2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
Quarterback Uniform No(s) Games started Wins Losses Ties Winning pct.

Weeden, Brandon 3 20 5 15 0 .250
Frye, Charlie 9 19 6 13 0 .316
Hoyer, Brian 6 16 10 6 0 .625

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Jason Campbell...played pretty well for us.

Unfortunately yes...They're sadly a HUGE UPGRADE. Mainly because they both threw a couple of routes very well, and these were routes Josh excelled at. Deep outs, crossers, slants, deep ball....Weeden and Campbell both did these well. Kizer doesn't do anything well. 

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes.

Season(s) Quarterback(s)
2017 DeShone Kizer (7) / Kevin Hogan (1)
2016 Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3) / Cody Kessler (8)
2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)

Weeden, Brandon 3 20 5 15 0 .250
Frye, Charlie 9 19 6 13 0 .316
Hoyer, Brian 6 16 10 6 0 .625

Nice research there - thanks for sharing.

Whenever Kizer plays - the QB position looks like a kid in blind folds playing pin the tail on the donkey. YES, he has a bionic arm but he has the instincts of a raccoon crossing the road at night time.  He doesn't give me any foreshadow of the ability to throw people open when he has to read progressions unless it's a specified timing pattern to one of the deep thirds off a 5-7 step drop or waggle pass/bootleg action.  And when the field shrinks up to red zone congestion - his lack of accuracy and poise gets heightened as exemplified by his league-leading turnovers.  

Who knows how Josh Gordon will respond - but he is being given1 more opportunity.   Apparently, his extent of drug abuse involved a lot more dangerous drugs than the gateway drug marijuana. That dude was a train wreck blinded by any lights at the end of the tunnel. As often as Roger Goodfella gets it wrong, this is 1 thing I think he did right.  I've expressed my frustration repeatedly about Gordon; but if he turns his life around to the extent he is able to entertain fans like he was born to do - it's a great story we can all enjoy. 

And now back to our regularly scheduled 1-23 Rent-a-Wreck following the 3-18 finish from our previous regime under the criteria-free hiring of Jimmy. 

For a full recap of all BROWNS quarterbacks from 1946 see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cleveland_Browns_starting_quarterbacks

Including fun facts like:

These Browns starting quarterbacks have been selected to the Pro Bowl.[6]

Quarterback Season(s) selected
Otto Graham 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954
Tommy O'Connell 1957
Milt Plum 1960, 1961
Frank Ryan 1964, 1965, 1966
Bill Nelsen 1969
Brian Sipe 1980
Bernie Kosar 1987
Derek Anderson 2007

On 10/21/2017 at 5:06 PM, Tour2ma said:

Alright... here's my prediction and teased conspiracy theory on Josh's return...

Drum roll, please.

Prediction: Josh will be reinstated Week 13

The Theory: A Week 13 return means Josh will only be eligible for 5 games and thus not accrue 2017 towards FA.

I'll admit that I am not the most well versed on all the current CBA's rules regrading FA eligibility, but I believe his one-game, Week 17 suspension by the team was overturned on appeal by the NFLPA. The suspension was a fairly transparent effort to keep his rights for an additional year under the same accrual rule mentioned above.

Anyway... I think Roger owes us one (at least) and I think a delay until Week 13 is payback.

So I got one right? ;)

16 hours ago, D Bone said:

...... even a blind squirrel as they say. 

Don't they just die off? I'll stick with the 20/20 ones.....with some reasonable support.

Archived