THE BROWNS BOARD

Government Readies Youth Corps To Take On Vets

Mr. T

Unbelievable or is it believeable?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/us/14exp...tml?_r=3&hp

IMPERIAL, Calif. — Ten minutes into arrant mayhem in this town near the Mexican border, and the gunman, a disgruntled Iraq war veteran, has already taken out two people, one slumped in his desk, the other covered in blood on the floor

The responding officers — eight teenage boys and girls, the youngest 14 — face tripwire, a thin cloud of poisonous gas and loud shots — BAM! BAM! — fired from behind a flimsy wall. They move quickly, pellet guns drawn and masks affixed.

“United States Border Patrol! Put your hands up!” screams one in a voice cracking with adolescent determination as the suspect is subdued.

It is all quite a step up from the square knot.

The Explorers program, a coeducational affiliate of the Boy Scouts of America that began 60 years ago, is training thousands of young people in skills used to confront terrorism, illegal immigration and escalating border violence — an intense ratcheting up of one of the group’s longtime missions to prepare youths for more traditional jobs as police officers and firefighters.

“This is about being a true-blooded American guy and girl,” said A. J. Lowenthal, a sheriff’s deputy here in Imperial County, whose life clock, he says, is set around the Explorers events he helps run. “It fits right in with the honor and bravery of the Boy Scouts.”

The training, which leaders say is not intended to be applied outside the simulated Explorer setting, can involve chasing down illegal border crossers as well as more dangerous situations that include facing down terrorists and taking out “active shooters,” like those who bring gunfire and death to college campuses. In a simulation here of a raid on a marijuana field, several Explorers were instructed on how to quiet an obstreperous lookout.

“Put him on his face and put a knee in his back,” a Border Patrol agent explained. “I guarantee that he’ll shut up.”

One participant, Felix Arce, 16, said he liked “the discipline of the program,” which was something he said his life was lacking. “I want to be a lawyer, and this teaches you about how crimes are committed,” he said.

Cathy Noriego, also 16, said she was attracted by the guns. The group uses compressed-air guns — known as airsoft guns, which fire tiny plastic pellets — in the training exercises, and sometimes they shoot real guns on a closed range.

“I like shooting them,” Cathy said. “I like the sound they make. It gets me excited.”

If there are critics of the content or purpose of the law enforcement training, they have not made themselves known to the Explorers’ national organization in Irving, Tex., or to the volunteers here on the ground, national officials and local leaders said. That said, the Explorers have faced problems over the years. There have been numerous cases over the last three decades in which police officers supervising Explorers have been charged, in civil and criminal cases, with sexually abusing them.

Is this what your defending?

Ballpeen, I want to give you one last try on this.

Gee, thanks.....or what??

I have no problem with people helping others.

It's that whole part about have a civilian corp. as well equipped as the military.

But later on after a quick skim I noticed people saying half brained posters etc.

Maybe you and Leg need to be concerned with quotes like that.

Off for something important...golf.

Well dan, atleast we know who all the Haters are. :angry:

Whats next? Find common ground, hold hands, sing camp songs, bake some cookies and drink some milk? or do they prefer kool-Aid?

Goes to show how your post on the sticky was even seen, I looked but there was so much jibba jabba i must of missed it.

Regardless, I hold no grudges over what anyone says, they are yours and mine good neighbors. they just need to crawl out from underneath the rock with the big "O" on it. :P

It's that whole part about have a civilian corp. as well equipped as the military. BAllpeen

As well equipped as the military, Heck.

Now, what equipment does the military have, Heck?

National security force.

National security force and equipped as the military, Heck.

Answer the question, stop dodging and indulging in personal attacks.

You really don't think anyone who disagrees with you can read? Really?

Perhaps you would like to try some legit conversation on what's said,

Lord knows you dance around issues and divert attention all too often to

what you think you CAN defend. You should stop that.

Cal, for one thing, he doesn't say "well-equipped." You just keep making that part up. So does ballpeen. And then you quote ballpeen, instead of the transcript. Like I said, you should stop doing that.

Here's the actual quote: "We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded."

You're wasting your time on this one. He's simply saying we should fund the instruments of soft power with the same intent as we do the military. He's not even saying they should be equally funded. He's saying they should be "just as well-funded", as in fully or close to fully funded, like the military is.

And yes, I'm doubting your ability to comprehend what you read.

Are you still contending that Obama is proposing to arm a civilian defense corps and make them as powerful as the military? Is that what you think this speech means?

You should be able to see that you're wrong on this one by now, but I'm not holding my breath.

ballpeen, can you see that you were wrong on this one?

Cal, for one thing, he doesn't say well-equipped. You just keep making that part up. Like I said, you should stop doing that.

"We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded."

You're wasting your time on this one. He's simply saying we should fund the instruments of soft power with the same intent as we do the military. He's not even saying they should be equally funded. He's saying they should be "just as well-funded", as in fully or close to fully funded, like the military is.

And yes, I'm doubting your ability to comprehend what you read.

Are you still contending that Obama is proposing to arm a civilian defense corps and make them as powerful as the military? Is that what you think this speech means?

You should be able to see that you're wrong on this one by now, but I'm not holding my breath.

ballpeen, can you see that you were wrong on this one?

No ;)

I do admit the word equipped wasn't in the speech....so, here i copy again

We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.

Just as powerful...what does he mean here....just as powerful? When I think of the military I thing of guns and bombs

Just as strong.....it goes to the above. Had the President mentioned it only once, powerful or strong, I might be able to see how he was using it in a comparative ideological manner. Twice seems to indicate two meanings.

Just as well funded?? Where is that money going to come from? The military budget is pretty darn big.

At any rate, my intent isn't to tick people off and it seems I do when I express a opinion around here, so I think it is best to just stick to a football board for a while. At least there I am not called half brained, a hick, a member of the KKK, hillbilly etc. etc.

I have better things to do than read people's drivel.

Here's an idea of what he means by being as well-funded as the military, ballpeen:

The Peace Corps budget is $340-million. In his 2010 budget, Obama wants to increase that by 10% to $373.4 million.

That's all he means. He's talking about fully funding priorities.

Or, as you allege, you can take this to mean that he really wants to outfit groups like the Peace Corps with F-18s, Predator drones, and Hummers with 50-caliber machine guns mounted on top, just like the military. That way he can have his own military that's ready and willing to impose his vision of a totalitarian state.

Your choice.

Honestly, fellas. Can we get real? You don't have to be a f'cking idiot all of your life.

Guest Aloysius

But those are the budget numbers Obama wants you to see.

And as we all know, the real budget is written on the back of Obama's birth certificate. In invisible ink. That only the NWO/Illuminati/Gang of 14 can read.

And, unlike Legacy, who mentioned his concern and then quickly realized there was no reason for concern once he saw the text of the speech, you've got three guys who still contend that this excerpt means that Obama is going to arm the young people of Americorps just like he does the military, and we're on our way to totalitarian-inspired youth groups. And they'll even make up parts of the speech to prove it!

No ;)

I do admit the word equipped wasn't in the speech....so, here i copy again

We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.

Just as powerful...what does he mean here....just as powerful? When I think of the military I thing of guns and bombs

Just as strong.....it goes to the above. Had the President mentioned it only once, powerful or strong, I might be able to see how he was using it in a comparative ideological manner. Twice seems to indicate two meanings.

Just as well funded?? Where is that money going to come from? The military budget is pretty darn big.

At any rate, my intent isn't to tick people off and it seems I do when I express a opinion around here, so I think it is best to just stick to a football board for a while. At least there I am not called half brained, a hick, a member of the KKK, hillbilly etc. etc.

I have better things to do than read people's drivel.

your opinion is appreciated sorry you have been ridiculed for speaking up, but thats the way they do it around here if it isn't a liberal fairy tale then use get shouted at by the board gastopo

for all of those who dont believe what the purpose of Obama's statements are, here you go they have allready started the training program.

14explorers2-600a.jpg

14explorers_spanh-1-1.jpg

27878860.jpg

27878868.jpg

Explorer Explorers Train to Fight Terrorists, and More

Seriously. That's a story on a creepy outfit that's aligned with the Boy Scouts of America. How does this have anything to do with what we're talking about?

So after making up a quote and attributing it to Obama, now we've moved on to saying that groups unaffiliated with the government are under Obama's direct control - watch out!

Really, you should stop making things up. But look who I'm talking to - Captain Tinfoil.

It's all true, T! We're coming for you!!

...One of us. One of us. One of us.

As long as your happy with your ignorance T,

Thats all that matters ,you just cant get upset when rational people dont bite.

Thank you! Another drum roll now! drumroll.gif

You can go take off your hi heels and go read your comic books then.

Archived