THE BROWNS BOARD

"Browns' hierarchy seems to prefer Derek Anderson over fan-favorite Brady Quinn"

okay well I'll explain a scenario for you:

He gets beat out in camp

You seem very confident. Please take Inspeca's bet, Lum. Quinn starts the season, you leave. DA starts, he leaves.

I will even sweeten it by PayPaling the winner one hundred US dollars the very day the starter is named, or you guys can name someone here you'd like to act as a sort of escrow account. Or, i could give the money to the charity of your choice in your name, complete with a receipt of payment. Your choice, but this deal needs to go down.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lum you ruin posts. Somebody tries and make a post to have a real conversation and you ruin it. People feel compelled to respond to you. Although you could make real points in DAs favor you never choose to do so. You just attack BQ and his fans. I went to Oregon State and live in Oregon still and am a season ticket holder. I am in DAs corner. I feel no reason to attack BQ or his supporters to try and make a point. You can support DA and still be reasonable. There are real reason why neither QB has been traded and we do not know what they are.

Will you just please stop ruining posts. I am sure you can try and make a point without calling people fags or just being plain irrational. Hell I could and have made excuses for some of DAs play. Their have been drops and blown blocking but their have also been poor decisions and bad throws. DA is not perfect and needs to work on his game. maybe he needs to get a good coaching staff to develope him better. Is it really a shock that a new coaching staff wants to evaluate the QBs themselves to see who gives them the best shot of keeping their jobs?

Last year DA was rumored to have several trade offers, this year BQ was. Does that mean last year BQ sucked and nobody thought anything of him but this year they do? I don't know what it means and I also do not know what offers were actually made or how serious they were for either QB. I want to see how these two QBs develope this year and see who this coaching staff determines gives them the best shot to win. I hope it is DA, but it could easily be BQ. I do agree that whoever losses the compeition will get traded this year though as I do think that ratliff was brought in to be number 2.

Anyways, Lum either make a semi intelligent argument for DA or just shut up. And you can't call me a BQ fag because I don't actually like him and I hate ND and think Charlie is way over rated as a Head coach. But, I am not above saying that just because I don't like BQ does not mean he does not have skills.

When he came in, Lum, he had a 104 passer rating in his first start. It's the one and only healthy regular season game we have to go on. His only other healthy regular season play was his cameo against SF the year before... when he looked very strong and threw two TD passes that were dropped.

That's what we have and it's at least promising. He did nothing to convince a team to go against the grain and NOT give their first round QB a chance to start a string of games.

You keep touting that 104 passer rating, it was against a team with a 98.5 passing defense rating. The good defenses in the NFL are allowing passers ratings in the 60s & 70s. Whoohoo, BQ threw barely better than the average quarterback did against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL!!!

He's so awesome!

Well then if that's your argument then you have to apply the same standards to DA.

Against shitty defenses and winless teams=DA awesome

Against middle of the road and upper echelon talent=DA sucks

Doesn't say much for him now does it?

isn't awesome against shitty D's better than OK against Shitty D's?

just sayin'.....

how about I give you 1k if you agree to stop J.O.ing to your Brady Quinn fathead?

That's a mighty fine comeback there.

So are you man enough to take spec's bet or not?

Greythan I'd suggest you read all my posts in this thread before you claim my logic being faulty...

I posted "Quinn should have started last year in the 1st game of the season-------Whoever called that shot (not starting Quinn) should have been fired and in retrospect, he was...."

I've also stated several times that I feel Quinn should be playing and given ample time to prove or disprove his value...

Seems you're handling my posts in the same way you use to evaluate Quinn... You take a sentence or a very small sampling and then come to a conclusion that favors your argument... At times Quinn's play show me that he is something special but other times he looks too much like Charlie Frye in his execution....BTW, the same man drafted both of those QB's.... Was he a total idiot on one selection and then a geneous on the other????? BTW, Savage drafted all 3 QB's.....

Admittedly I was out of the loop last year and didn't see over 95% of the games (didn't see one game in its entirety), but I do recall that Anderson got hurt in preseason which caused Quinn to get all the snaps in practice... That was his opportunity to COMPETE for the starting position so I don't see how Shep can claim he never got a chance... Wasn't Bernie thrown into the fire due to an injury then his play made the incumbant expendable.... Quinn had the same chance but for whatever reason couldn't pull the switch.....

And if your gonna use Quinns cameo against the niners and give creedance to the 2 dropped passes that should have gone for touchdowns then in all fairness you have to use the numerous dropped passes that Anderson had to endure when calculating his effectiveness as a passer,,,, Whats fair is fair, whats spin is spin....

It's also my opinion that the Browns have no intention in trading either QB since both are coming off an injury from last season.... There was something like 65 different starting QB's last season showing that a good backup may be the difference to a winning or losing season.... However with the Ratliff on board we might see some movement during camp if another team has a dire need and is willing to over pay.....

peace

T.Dawg

Guest Masters
poor riff, you're just still "flabbergasted" that NFL coaches don't think shit of your boy when you got a permanent hard on for him.

As opposed to your boy DA who had zero trade offers for him. At least there are articles that circulated saying at least 2 teams offered 1st round picks this year for Quinn (along with the rumor of DEN interest when they were dropping Cutler). That is more than can be said about DA.

Guest Masters
no, you don't know shit about QBs.

If you did your boy wouldn't have sat on the bench for two years and he wouldn't have sucked when he came in.

Wow, a 104 QB rating in your first pro start w/ 3 days prep. Yup, that is pretty darn bad.

What's DA's QB rating after 24+ starts again?

Guest Masters
You keep touting that 104 passer rating, it was against a team with a 98.5 passing defense rating. The good defenses in the NFL are allowing passers ratings in the 60s & 70s. Whoohoo, BQ threw barely better than the average quarterback did against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL!!!

He's so awesome!

Yawn! Remind me, what did DA do against that "fantastic" Cincy D when the playoffs were on the line?

Oh, and you are comparing what DEN did against mostly established QBs vs. a guy in his first career start. Apples and Oranges chief.

okay so why don't you tell that to shep and his "GREATEST FIRST GAME AS A STARTER PASSER RATING IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF BROWNS FOOTBALL" argument?

DA's numbers mean something because he's played enough games. The numbers show a 32nd ranked passer.

Quinn's 104 doesn't mean anything from a mathematical standpoint, but it does give a glimpse into what could be. Nobody here is suggesting you plug in Quinn's 104 and therefore he is a top ranked NFL QB and a proven commodity. But most here agree the glimpse from his one healthy game gives weight to the idea he deserves a solid chance. His 104 was based on a few days of prep with minimal snaps with the starting team to that point. The other games his finger was broken.

Quinn will start.

Question: Has any QB EVER been the league's lowest rated passer and subsequently enjoyed success?

I'm too lazy to research it, but its a curious thought.

If it has happened, it has to be the exception, not the rule or norm.

Watching DA drive us to glory last season was the emotional equivilant of being held down and having a pineapple shoved up you @ss.

Watching step on the field you got that same feeling of dread, this is going to hurt like hell and there's nothing you can do about it.

Question: Has any QB EVER been the league's lowest rated passer and subsequently enjoyed success?

Dilfer came to mind so i looked him up. He had a 76 rating the year before his Superbowl and a 76 rating the year of his Superbowl. His career rating was 70. i'm sure there are others.

Guest Aloysius

Aikman was the worst in the league as a rookie (1989). Jake Plummer was absolutely awful in 1999 but was able to turn it around and have a couple semi-decent seasons.

Eli Manning had a 55.4 his first year as a starter... but more importantly, had a 73something the year he won the Superbowl (same post season Shep referred to him as one of the "elite" QBs in the league) and has only topped a 77 once (took him 5 years of starting to match DA's first year efficiency rating).

If DA's still here in a few months, it's probably because the coaches feel he was affected by the concussion and surrounded by a team with issues this last season.

Actually, up until the last decade it was a Who's Who of Super Bowl winning qbs:

Terry Bradshaw 1970

Jim Plunkett 1972

Archie Manning 1975

Steve Deberg 1978

Doug Williams 1979

Phil Simms 1980

John Elway 1983

Vinnie Testeverde 1988

Troy Aikman 1989

Trent Dilfer 1995

Kerry Collins 1997

Jake Plummer 1999

Jon Kitna 2000

Kyle Orton 2005

Bradshaw (4), Aikman (3), Plunkett (2), Elway (2), Simms (2), Williams and Dilfer combined to win 15 Super Bowls (if you count simms twice instead of once). Throw in Mark Rypien who became the lowest rated passer subsequent to winning a SB and you have 8 different guys that won SBs that were once the lowest passer in the league. Collins made it too. Manning, Deberg, Testeverde, Plummer and Kitna all had at least decent careers after being the worst, and Orton has the potential to have a decent career .... so DA is not alone that regard.

What those guys all had in common (except Rypien) was that they were young QBs on bad teams. That's what happens. When your #1 receiver can't catch a cold and your #2 is some guy named Steptoe and your o-line constantly caves on the right and up the middle, and your running back gets you maybe 3.5, and you play the Steelers and Ravens four times and the NFC East another four .... bad things happen.

Let's take the knife out of Derek. That team sucked. The offense, the defense, the coaching ... no one was going to survive in that offense ... and no one did.

Zombo

Guest Masters
Eli Manning had a 55.4 his first year as a starter... but more importantly, had a 73something the year he won the Superbowl (same post season Shep referred to him as one of the "elite" QBs in the league) and has only topped a 77 once (took him 5 years of starting to match DA's first year efficiency rating).

If DA's still here in a few months, it's probably because the coaches feel he was affected by the concussion and surrounded by a team with issues this last season.

Keep in mind Eli's first year starting was as a wide eyed rookie, not a guy who was in his third season in the league (which DA was in 2007). You can knock Shep for his comment in during the 2007 post season, but what was Eli's QBR during the SB run? That's right, a 95.7 QBR. Now certainly over each guys first 31 starts they are about even. But Eli has shown more growth as a player over that span, along with growth from HS to college and college to the pros. That hasn't exactly been DA's trend.

I think DA will be here in a few months, but not because the staff feels the concussion (it was 1 in preseason week 1, he would have been over the effects long before he lost his job to Quinn) or it was a talent around him issue. But rather in the NFL it doesn't hurt to have two decent QBs on the roster. DA has good value as a back up. Plus the staff hasn't had a real chance to work with either guy, or know that much about them other than what they see on tape. What's on tape won't always tell you what play was actually called. The staff has to feel out both guys and would be unwise to make a rash decision.

Guest Masters

Actually, up until the last decade it was a Who's Who of Super Bowl winning qbs:

Terry Bradshaw 1970

Jim Plunkett 1972

Archie Manning 1975

Steve Deberg 1978

Doug Williams 1979

Phil Simms 1980

John Elway 1983

Vinnie Testeverde 1988

Troy Aikman 1989

Trent Dilfer 1995

Kerry Collins 1997

Jake Plummer 1999

Jon Kitna 2000

Kyle Orton 2005

Bradshaw (4), Aikman (3), Plunkett (2), Elway (2), Simms (2), Williams and Dilfer combined to win 15 Super Bowls (if you count simms twice instead of once). Throw in Mark Rypien who became the lowest rated passer subsequent to winning a SB and you have 8 different guys that won SBs that were once the lowest passer in the league. Collins made it too. Manning, Deberg, Testeverde, Plummer and Kitna all had at least decent careers after being the worst, and Orton has the potential to have a decent career .... so DA is not alone that regard.

What those guys all had in common (except Rypien) was that they were young QBs on bad teams. That's what happens. When your #1 receiver can't catch a cold and your #2 is some guy named Steptoe and your o-line constantly caves on the right and up the middle, and your running back gets you maybe 3.5, and you play the Steelers and Ravens four times and the NFC East another four .... bad things happen.

Let's take the knife out of Derek. That team sucked. The offense, the defense, the coaching ... no one was going to survive in that offense ... and no one did.

Zombo

Most of that is all well and good, but it doesn't explain away the back half of DA's 2007 season. You can also break down most of those guys and see growth and improvement from start 1 to 25, as well as from HS to college, and college to the pros.

DA of course still has a chance to develop as a QB, but based on his track record, I will be surprised if it is ever greater than a marginal improvement.

Most of that is all well and good, but it doesn't explain away the back half of DA's 2007 season.

If I recall, we were 5-3 and he threw 10 or 12 TD passes in the back half of 2007, what needs to be explained?

It is what it is: he had a productive first year as a starter and then fell off last year when surrounded by a crumbling offense. He's inconsistent and sometimes erratic. He has a strong arm and has already won a number of games at 25.

He's not the messiah, he's not the devil, he's an interesting QB on the Cleveland Browns.

I feel like I always have to add "But I like Quinn better and think he is the long-term guy" to every DA post to make everyone feel better about it.

And I do like Quinn. If I had to pick one QB between the two to lead my team for the next 10 years, I'd put my money on Quinn.

But that doesn't mean that some of the criticism of DA isn't absurd. It is.

He's a young guy with a live arm that has had his ups and down. It's the NFL for god's sake. It's to be expected.

I'm glad he's still a Brown. He's talented and has potential.

The 08 Browns were garbage.

Zombo

Most of that is all well and good, but it doesn't explain away the back half of DA's 2007 season.

the sleet vs the Jets, snow vs Buffalo, and wind in Cincy take care of that explanation.

it's tougher to pass in December. completion percentages go down. happens every year. happened to the QBs on the teams the Browns were playing against.

wanna guess Kellen Clemens' rating in the Jets game? Trent Edwards' rating in the buffalo game? Carson Palmer in Cincy? That's how it goes in weeks 14-15-16.

Quinn pumpers such as yourself just never paid any attention to QB stats before.

how's Quinn's qb rating trending by the way?

Quinn's 104 doesn't mean anything from a mathematical standpoint, but it does give a glimpse into what could be.

Denver wasn't expecting the dink and dunk were they? Understandable, they only had 3 days to look at tape.

Too bad for him they figured him out by halftime.

It was all downhill from there. He hasn't thrown a TD since. 9 quarters.

Has DA ever gone 9 quarters without a TD pass? Maybe Greythan should look it up.

Guest Masters

If I recall, we were 5-3 and he threw 10 or 12 TD passes in the back half of 2007, what needs to be explained?

It is what it is: he had a productive first year as a starter and then fell off last year when surrounded by a crumbling offense. He's inconsistent and sometimes erratic. He has a strong arm and has already won a number of games at 25.

He's not the messiah, he's not the devil, he's an interesting QB on the Cleveland Browns.

I feel like I always have to add "But I like Quinn better and think he is the long-term guy" to every DA post to make everyone feel better about it.

And I do like Quinn. If I had to pick one QB between the two to lead my team for the next 10 years, I'd put my money on Quinn.

But that doesn't mean that some of the criticism of DA isn't absurd. It is.

He's a young guy with a live arm that has had his ups and down. It's the NFL for god's sake. It's to be expected.

I'm glad he's still a Brown. He's talented and has potential.

The 08 Browns were garbage.

Zombo

I'll start by saying you don't need to add the disclaimer about Quinn vs. DA as long term guys. We are on the same page there.

I certainly don't think DA is the devil and do think some criticism of DA is absurd as well. But some of it is well merited.

As for the back stretch of 2007, over DA's last 7 starts he threw 9TD to 10 INTs, his Y/A began to decline, as did his Y/G. His QB then dropped down to the low 70's over that stretch. He then followed up in 2008 continueing that trend. While he certainly has the opportunity to make adjustments and improve, it doesn't follow the trend he's been on since surprising the league. Once they caught up to him, he hasn't made the adjustment to his game. It also follows the trend of the player he has been since HS.

I would never say DA doesn't have potential or talent. But lots of guys have that and never put it all together. We all know it take more than just physical skill to make it as a starting NFL QB.

Guest Masters
the sleet vs the Jets, snow vs Buffalo, and wind in Cincy take care of that explanation.

it's tougher to pass in December. completion percentages go down. happens every year. happened to the QBs on the teams the Browns were playing against.

wanna guess Kellen Clemens' rating in the Jets game? Trent Edwards' rating in the buffalo game? Carson Palmer in Cincy? That's how it goes in weeks 14-15-16.

Quinn pumpers such as yourself just never paid any attention to QB stats before.

how's Quinn's qb rating trending by the way?

Of course it is tough to pass in DEC. No one said it isn't. But you can't wash that 4 INT game against Cincy away with the wind. Those picks weren't the wind taking the ball. Those balls were thrown right at Cincy defenders. Of course I actually watched the games.

Ah, falling back on the Quinn pumper thing. For about the 100th time, it ain't about Quinn. If he plays like DA over 25+ starts, I'd want to see the guy behind him too. Heck, I didn't even want to draft Quinn originally when CLE was only sitting with the 3rd pick in the 1st.

Well, seeing as how he has only played something to the effect of 6 healthy quarters, there isn't much to go on for a trend. Come ask me that around week 10 or 11 of this season.

Archived