THE BROWNS BOARD

Marcus' Fishing Thread

marcus

I'll be back home for a little while. My dad just passed away yesterday evening. After the funeral I plan to hit Mosquito Lake in Courtland. It was one my Dad's favorite places to fish. I plan to go throw a few lines in and reminisce. Might go to Lake Milton as well, we had some memories there too. He was my original fishing buddy. ThIs has been a tough weekend.

Wow that's tough our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

It's nice to have a place you can go to relax and reflect and remember the good times, in time it will be easier to do just that remember those times.

Try to stay strong, Michael.

A Mosquito Lake memory from my dad who has been gone 17 years now, when we were in scouts he was one of the troop leaders would go to Camp Chickagami in Parkman, OH get a trailer there with six canoes on it. Then tow it to Mosquito and we'd camp and canoe and just hang out for a week! And we did it like it was no big deal, really fun times, help me become a confident self sufficient man.

He was a quiet brilliant amazing man. In time you do remember all the good times that was about 50 years ago.

too bad... when we go out west one of these days, I would probably would have wanted to get there

and see that stream. I bet it's gorgeous.

That was actually not the "pretty stream" that my son fished in. That one was in the prairie....so it looked like just flat grasslands around it. We did go to some quite beautiful locations. One of those was what the call out there "The Trident" which is where the Jefferson, Madison, and Gallatin Rivers meet to form the Missouri. The area was "discovered" by Lewis and Clark, and those rivers were named by them after the President (Jefferson), the Secretary of State (Madison) and the Secretary of the Treasury (Gallatin) at the time of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

If "The Trident" sounds familiar when it comes to rivers....that is because in the Game of Thrones there was also a fictional Trident, where three rivers came together to make one. George R.R. Martin modeled that Trident after this real one. Also modeled after a real event was "The Battle of the Trident" (in GOT it was the decisive battle in "Robert's Rebellion" against the Mad King). A real Battle of the Trident occurred in this location...in Montana... in pre white man days. Thousands of Native American Warriors from different tribes fought a major battle here..

The area is now encompassed by the Missouri Headwaters State Parks, near the town of Three Forks...which is what the area is more commonly called. You can see some nice photos of the area here:

http://stateparks.mt.gov/missouri-headwaters/

There is a small town there named Trident, and the road you take to the confluence area is called Trident Road.

Lures work well too with an ultralight spinning rod.

For trout it is like fishing and hunting combined because you have to search for the water that will hold fish. If you and your Son are coming to Missouri and you have time check out Montauk state park in Licking Mo. They have cabins and a motel for lodging. A store and restaurant. There is a trout hatchery on site, It is not uncommon for anglers to nab a 3 or 4 pound trout inside the park. Trust me, your son will never forget catching a 3 pound trout on a ultralight rod. You can flyfish too if you choose.

You will see wildlife like never before. One time I saw at least a dozen hummingbirds together feeding off a bush. I always see an new animal or bird when I go there.

It may be possible that we will get there either next summer or the year after that. Or maybe even at spring break. And Montauk is definitely a location I am looking at, though we would probably be staying at a resort somewhere around Lake Ozark. (how would it be there in early spring?)

Archived