Sign in to follow this  
mjp28

2017 OHIO STATE Football Schedule, how far do they go?

5-7 Teams? We were only talking about 2 teams, weren't we? : Texas and Texas A&M.

Only one of them is in the preseason top 25, and one is not.

My simple question to you was: Why? Why was one in and the other not? You are much closer to the situation than I, so you explain it to us.

A team that was 5-7 last year. That would be Texas.

And I already answered this in my first post on this thread. "It is written in stone somewhere that they must be in every preseason top 25." It was a joke (although the latter part is true). I'm not trying to write a Master's thesis on it. Lighten up.

So beating Texas at the end of last year mattered even though they were 5-7....because they started in the preseason top 25? Okie dokie. You're trolling even worse than Gipper with this post.

EDIT: Nevermind, you probably read it the same way Gipper did. Texas went 5-7 last year.

I know you're contractually obligated to love everything SEC now, but in the past those preseason ratings were used to protect the SEC. If every team is ranked every win is a good win and every loss is still a good loss. I've been I've it before. Thats why i would want no ratings at all until mid season. Luckily the sec is falling off and people are starting to see it.

A team that was 5-7 last year. That would be Texas.

And I already answered this in my first post on this thread. "It is written in stone somewhere that they must be in every preseason top 25." It was a joke (although the latter part is true). I'm not trying to write a Master's thesis on it. Lighten up.

Doh! OK, now I see. Sorry. Texas was 5-7.

OK, so, you think that a 5-7 Texas team should not be ranked in the Top 25. But apparently those who do the ranking think there must me something there. I do not believe that the national poll voters have any prediliction toward ranking Texas that you apparently think they do.

So...beyond your prejudice against them....why are they ranked?

And why is TAMU not ranked.

Again, you are closer to the situation than I...but please try to provide an unbiased explanation.

That ranking must have a lot to do with Herman, who is a very good coach.

I know you're contractually obligated to love everything SEC now, but in the past those preseason ratings were used to protect the SEC. If every team is ranked every win is a good win and every loss is still a good loss. I've been I've it before. Thats why i would want no ratings at all until mid season. Luckily the sec is falling off and people are starting to see it.

What does this have to do with the point I'm making? Stop trolling.

Doh! OK, now I see. Sorry. Texas was 5-7.

OK, so, you think that a 5-7 Texas team should not be ranked in the Top 25. But apparently those who do the ranking think there must me something there. I do not believe that the national poll voters have any prediliction toward ranking Texas that you apparently think they do.

So...beyond your prejudice against them....why are they ranked?

And why is TAMU not ranked.

Again, you are closer to the situation than I...but please try to provide an unbiased explanation.

Because A&M has not finished in the top 25 for three straight seasons and this is a rebuilding year. No reason to put them there. With Texas, it's inexplicable. No matter how bad they suck or how little they return, people will rank them in the preseason. And by "people," I mean about 80% of preseason rankings.

Because A&M has not finished in the top 25 for three straight seasons and this is a rebuilding year. No reason to put them there. With Texas, it's inexplicable. No matter how bad they suck or how little they return, people will rank them in the preseason. And by "people," I mean about 80% of preseason rankings.

Sounds like A&M has a JFF hangover that has gone on a long time....about as long as the one's the Browns are suffering from.

Let's hope Garrett is the cure for that for the Browns....can't tell you what would cure it for TAMU.

What does this have to do with the point I'm making? Stop trolling.

You asked why teams get higher preseason rankings than they deserve

That means others get lower rankings and some are just right...the Goldilocks preseason polls.

And yes everyone knows it's PRESEASON! :huh:

Except, even though it's preseason, those rankings have a lasting effect on the rest of the season

Except, even though it's preseason, those rankings have a lasting effect on the rest of the season

Only if the teams play to about where people ranked them in preseason. If a team that is ranked Top 5 loses 3 in a row...say bye bye.

And if a team that is unranked ends the regular season at like 11-1....they will be highly ranked.

I did?

When you talk THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY football you talk "m" also, somewhat, almost by default.....

OSU wins it all this year. UM won't even be invited to a bowl game.

Does "m" have enough cupcakes to go .500 or better, if they do they WILL get a bowl invite, the B10 draws fans!

2017 Michigan football schedule - The Sporting News - I see 6 wins plus probably a few more.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/michigan-wolverines-football-2017-schedule-roster-recruiting-rankings-jim-harbaugh-big-ten-preview/1s2ttltaxz7v41n80k8ll1yl6i

Sept. 2: vs. Florida (Arlington, Texas)

Sept. 9: vs. Cincinnati - W?

Sept. 16: vs. Air Force - W?

Sept. 23: at Purdue - W guaranteed

Sept. 30: BYE

Oct. 7: vs. Michigan State - W?

Oct. 14: at Indiana

Oct. 21: at Penn State

Oct. 28: vs. Rutgers - W guaranteed

Nov. 4: vs. Minnesota

Nov. 11: at Maryland - W guaranteed?

Nov. 18: at Wisconsin

Nov. 25: vs. Ohio State

Dec. 2: Big Ten championship game

2017 Michigan recruiting class

Michigan's class had a ranking of No. 4 across four recruiting sites. The Wolverines reeled in another top-five class highlighted by five-star receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones and defensive tackle Aubrey Solomon. Four-star Dylan McCaffrey could be the quarterback of the future.

Three things to watch

1. How will the defense reload?

Taco Charlton, Jourdan Lewis and Jabrill Peppers all could be first-round picks in the 2017 NFL Draft. The Wolverines lost a lot, but defensive coordinator Don Brown still has several pieces to work with for 2017. That starts with a defensive line that features Rashan Gary, the No. 1 recruit in 2016, and Maurice Hurst. Mike McCray returns at linebacker. The secondary will undergo a major makeover. The talent is there. Will the Wolverines still have that same dominant defense that produced 46 sacks in 2016? If anybody can find the scheme to do it, then it's Brown.

2. Who are the playmakers?

Quarterback Wilton Speight returns after an efficient season in which he passed for 2,358 yards with 18 TDs and seven interceptions. Speight's top three targets from last season Amara Darboh, Jehu Chesson and Jake Butt are gone, so he'll have to mesh with the new group of receivers. Michigan has depth at tight end with Ian Bunting and Tyrone Wheatley Jr., and Peoples-Jones was part of an impressive recruiting haul at receiver. That position battle should be interesting to watch through fall camp.

3. Can U-M find a dominant run game?

That's what Michigan needs to take that next-level step under Harbaugh. The Wolverines averaged 2.4 yards per rush in losses to Iowa, Ohio State and Florida State. The offensive line is getting a makeover, and Mason Cole is the top returner. Chris Evans who had 614 yards and four TDs rushing as a freshman will be the lead back for Michigan. The Wolverines need that running game to be dominant to win a Big Ten championship. That's the biggest challenge for Harbaugh in Year 3.

So-so on that one if you win you move up, if you lose you move down. True a very low start can make the climb out harder but it's not insurmountable.

Wait wait... You put Cincy and AF as questionable wins? What? Are you following college football at all?

As of right now Michigan is favored by 85% or more in 8 of their games. The remaining 4 are between 45% and 55% (toss ups).

Wait wait... You put Cincy and AF as questionable wins? What? Are you following college football at all?

As of right now Michigan is favored by 85% or more in 8 of their games. The remaining 4 are between 45% and 55% (toss ups).

Yes I follow college football a lot but at 2:23 am I didn't look up Cincinnati, they are #90 on the FPI preseason rankings go ahead and put that game as a lead pipe cinch W if you want.

And yes "m" should go to a bowl game. Personally I think they might be better than expected close to but not a top 10 team maybe 2 or 3 losses due to the B10 not being as dominant this year.

9 sounds right. We'll learn a lot opening against UF

Early games can be scary especially on teams with turnover sometimes takes a few games to get the roster set.....but some lose early and go on and win a national championship like THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES! :)

I see only 7 for sure.....and I am giving you one that you may pull out that you will be underdogs in. So that is the 8.

Florida, by the way, from what I hear, may be loaded. So if you em does pull that one out, it would be a big bonus.

I see only 7 for sure.....and I am giving you one that you may pull out that you will be underdogs in. So that is the 8.

Florida, by the way, from what I hear, may be loaded. So if you em does pull that one out, it would be a big bonus.

... I already told you we're heavily favorited in 8 games.

Or is this the Gipper School of Favorites where being Michigan just automatically loses you 14 points a game...?

This really isn't an opinion to be debated. 8 of the games we're favorites in. You can debate some with the last 4, but not with those 8.

Hopefully OSU can steal a few games where they're the underdog. I think they might take one from Army. They could get the upset against UNLV too.

... I already told you we're heavily favorited in 8 games.

Or is this the Gipper School of Favorites where being Michigan just automatically loses you 14 points a game...?

This really isn't an opinion to be debated. 8 of the games we're favorites in. You can debate some with the last 4, but not with those 8.

I don't debate facts...when I see facts. You need to prove your facts. What are these 8 games? I see only 7 in which UM would be "heavily favored".

It certainly does not apply to Florida, Michigan St. Penn St. Wisconsin, or Ohio State. That leaves 7 on your schedule.

The only thing I can think of is that you have UM "heavily favored" over Michigan St. But I don't see why that would be the case. Slightly favored at best.

So.....prove it. Show us/give us links to authoritative betting lines that "heavily" favor you in 8 games.

Hopefully OSU can steal a few games where they're the underdog. I think they might take one from Army. They could get the upset against UNLV too.

UM and OSU have about the same 'difficulty" in terms of non-conf. schedule.

And while I have not seen any lines, is there any game on their schedule that OSU is not favored in?