THE BROWNS BOARD

2017 OHIO STATE Football Schedule, how far do they go?

mjp28

2017 Ohio State Buckeyes football schedule - how far do they go?

Aug. 31: at Indiana

Sept. 9: Oklahoma

Sept. 16: Army

Sept. 23: UNLV

Sept. 30: at Rutgers

Oct. 7: Maryland

Oct. 14: at Nebraska

Oct. 21: OPEN DATE

Oct 28: Penn State

Nov. 4: at Iowa

Nov. 11: Michigan State

Nov. 18: Illinois

Nov. 25: at Michigan

Dec. 2: Big Ten Championship Game (Indianapolis)

Jan. 1: College Football Playoff semifinal (Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl)

Jan. 8: College Football Playoff national championship (Atlanta)

The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl will serve as the two College Football Playoff semifinal locations and the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta will serve as the national championship game location.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Bob Stoops now gone I can see the Buckeyes opening 7-0 to the bye week and maybe 11-0 going to "m".

Talk about some early cupcakes some D-1AA teams might have been better matchups.

Opening the season with a Big Ten game is highly unusual....especially a game on the road.

Yeah new scheduling protocols with the early generally weak 1 D-1AA matchups virtually gone because you get penalized in the all important rankings.....which impact your end of season bowl and mini-playoff matchups.

Plus the D-1AA teams took a major payday hit from the loss of big school payouts which was often a huge part of their yearly athletic budget, they now are scrambling just to fill a schedule.

I remember YSU at OSU in front of ~100,000 rabid Buckeye fans and a huge check, a now YSU president Jim Tressel influence, but it was done all over the USA with the coaches networking.

Yeah new scheduling protocols with the early generally week 1 D-1AA matchups virtually gone because you get penalized in the all important rankings.....which impact your end of season bowl and nomini-playoff matchups.

Plus the D-1AA teams took a major payday hit from the loss of big school payouts which was often a huge part of their yearly athletic budget, they now are scrambling just to fill a schedule.

I remember YSU at OSU in front of ~100,000 rabid Buckeye fans and a huge check, a now YSU president Jim Tressel influence, but it was done all over the USA with the coaches networking.

It isn't the D-AA schools issue.....they have Army on their schedule which is on par with D-1AA....its just the scheduling.

Also....The Big Ten now has a rule that Big Ten teams may not schedule D-1AA. And FYI, the SEC has no such rule. They will still be pleased to schedule a full round of cupcakes. Though, with Army and UNLV that is a bit cupcakish of a non-conf. schedule for OSU.

It isn't the D-AA schools issue.....they have Army on their schedule which is on par with D-1AA....its just the scheduling.

Also....The Big Ten now has a rule that Big Ten teams may not schedule D-1AA. And FYI, the SEC has no such rule. They will still be pleased to schedule a full round of cupcakes. Though, with Army and UNLV that is a bit cupcakish of a non-conf. schedule for OSU.

Army is D-1A a poor one but still D-1A and yes there's not a uniform set of rules among all conferences but scheduling an AA team can really hurt you in the T25 polls, with all the parity now a few points can drop you down out of a top 4, top 10 or whatever ranking.

I have listened to various D-1AA ADs and coaches talk about their scheduling and financial problems related to these matters. It even trickles down to DII levels in some cases.

But when was the NCAA ever really consistent on everything (never?). Plus the P5 conferences and their now mega 16 teams have changed things including breaking up good old rivalries.

Easily 11-0 going into the game

Maybe the most anticipated The Game in many years, we'll see what "m" has left from last year. Plus we'll also see the accumulated value of having Coach Harbaugh in Ann Arbor.

Composite Top 25 college football rankings from The Sporting News

TEAM POINTS

1. Alabama 147

2. Ohio State 142

3. Florida State 137

4. USC 134

5. Penn State 120

6. Clemson 119

7. Washington 111

8. Oklahoma 110

9. Oklahoma State 95

10. Auburn 92

11. Michigan 88

12. Wisconsin 80

13. LSU 76

14. Georgia 76

15. Stanford 67

16. Louisville 65

17. Kansas State 47

18. Florida 44

19. South Florida 43

20. Miami, Fla. 36

21. West Virginia 34

22. Texas 21

23. Tennessee 16

24. Oregon 14

25. Boise State 11

Preseason FPI Rankings - Version 1.0 for top 130 see link. http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/129505/ohio-state-is-no-1-in-preseason-fpi-1-0

RANK TEAM FPI PRED

1 Ohio State 28.9 2 12.1 2 14.8 <---- lots of B10 ;)

2 Alabama 25.9 9 8.3 1 15.7

3 Oklahoma 24.5 1 17.4 20 6.2

4 Florida State 24.3 3 11.8 4 11.6

5 Auburn 21.5 5 10.4 10 9.4

6 LSU 19.6 10 8.0 6 10.4

7 Clemson 19.6 16 7.0 3 11.9

8 Penn State 18.9 6 9.9 17 7.7

9 Washington 18.7 8 8.6 12 8.7

10 Wisconsin 17.4 15 7.0 9 9.4

11 Stanford 16.7 30 4.7 8 9.7

12 USC 16.3 18 6.7 15 8.1

13 Georgia 15.6 36 3.5 5 11.1

14 Louisville 14.9 21 6.3 14 8.4

15 Florida 14.5 46 2.6 7 10.0

16 Miami (FL) 14.4 40 3.3 11 9.3

17 Notre Dame 14.2 14 7.2 22 6.0

18 Michigan 13.7 26 5.2 19 7.3

19 TCU 13.5 11 7.6 27 5.2

20 Tennessee 13.4 22 6.2 25 5.4

21 Oregon 12.3 4 11.6 61 -0.1

22 North Carolina State 12.2 19 6.5 23 5.7

23 UCLA 12.1 34 3.8 18 7.4

24 Texas 11.8 41 3.3 16 7.9

25 Washington State 11.7 13 7.3 29 4.3

26 Oklahoma State 10.6 12 7.3 46 2.2

27 Texas A&M 10.6 43 2.9 21 6.1

28 Baylor 8.7 27 5.0 32 3.6

29 Northwestern 8.6 48 2.5 26 5.

Everyone is hating on us because we have the least returning starters in college football. I think.

Not hating just an observation.

Well an observation resulting in lower rankings. I think it is an overreaction. We'll see.

Well 18 isn't so bad.

And almost two months until my favorite sport NCAA football!

At first on the FPI 130 I thought the B10 was well represented but on closer inspection:

1 OSU

8 PSU

10 WIS

18 M

29 NW

39 IOW

57 NEB (miss Bo now?)

58 MST (really?)

60 IND

61 MIN

69 MAR (was MAR & RUT a total bust?)

83 ILL (ILLINI fans ill)

88 RUT

98 PUR (gave up football for engineering? )

Composite Top 25 college football rankings from The Sporting News

TEAM POINTS

1. Alabama 147

2. Ohio State 142

3. Florida State 137

4. USC 134

5. Penn State 120

6. Clemson 119

7. Washington 111

8. Oklahoma 110

9. Oklahoma State 95

10. Auburn 92

11. Michigan 88

12. Wisconsin 80

13. LSU 76

14. Georgia 76

15. Stanford 67

16. Louisville 65

17. Kansas State 47

18. Florida 44

19. South Florida 43

20. Miami, Fla. 36

21. West Virginia 34

22. Texas 21

23. Tennessee 16

24. Oregon 14

25. Boise State 11

Lol. No matter what, Texas must be in every preseason football top 25. It is written in stone somewhere.

Lol. No matter what, Texas must be in every preseason football top 25. It is written in stone somewhere.

But, apparently the same does not hold true for A&M. In fact, I note that UT or is it TU...is the only Texas school on the entire list.

Traditionally, sure. There are a handful of exceptions in this case I'd argue

Some schools just reload. According to some, Alabama just lost an entire NFL defense to the pros...yet, they have the top ranking. Ohio State just lost 3 DBs to the first round....every one of which could have returned if they wanted to...and they still come in second place in this ranking.

Some other schools cannot do as well with a whole pile of losses to the pros or graduation. (Remains to be seen if Michigan is one of them. Of course, just in their division they have Penn St. and OSU rated ahead...and you have to ask yourself: can Michigan St. rebound after a bad year?)

Both of those schools have established coaches. Harbaugh will just now be entering his third year here. Anyone the follows CFB and sees how he's recruiting will know we'll get to that reload stage.

Recently, and for another season or so, we'll be dealing with some gaps in talent left by the previous staff.

That's part of the reason I'd say this giant loss in starters won't be as bad in this situation as it would be normally.

OSU also has 15 returning starters to our 5. It makes sense they aren't dropping far in the rankings.

If you've been following everything going on in east Lansing, you'd know the chances of a bounce back year are slim.

Both of those schools have established coaches. Harbaugh will just now be entering his third year here. Anyone the follows CFB and sees how he's recruiting will know we'll get to that reload stage.

Recently, and for another season or so, we'll be dealing with some gaps in talent left by the previous staff.

That's part of the reason I'd say this giant loss in starters won't be as bad in this situation as it would be normally.

OSU also has 15 returning starters to our 5. It makes sense they aren't dropping far in the rankings.

If you've been following everything going on in east Lansing, you'd know the chances of a bounce back year are slim.

I haven't been following. I just know that Mark Dantonio has been one hell of a good coach.

What has been going on in East Lansing that would keep him from being a good coach? I mean, a few criminal arrests won't stop that.

Attrition this offseason

OL Thiyo Lukusa: quits team, says he's giving up football, ends up at JUCO.

S Drake Martinez: probably a playing time transfer

DE Donovan Winter: dropped after armed burglary charge

LB Jon Reshcke: dropped N-bomb on teammate

WR Donnie Corley: charged with criminal sexual conduct

DE Josh King: charged with criminal sexual conduct

S Demetric Vance: charged with criminal sexual conduct

DE Auston Robertson, charged with criminal sexual conduct

DT Cassius Peat: probably not qualified?

CB Kaleel Gaines: JUCO transfer, academics related?

S Kenney Lyke: another JUCO transfer, academics related?

Plus possibly two more.

Some of which points to a general lack of control of the locker room.

But you're right, a few criminal arrests didn't stop Meyer at UF. A lot of arrests did.

OSU wins it all this year. UM won't even be invited to a bowl game.

I say UM gets a bowl invite. Whatever bowl takes a 4th place 8-4 team from the Big Ten will take them. Maybe the motor city bowl. That way they can get some people to show up.

But you're right, a few criminal arrests didn't stop Meyer at UF. A lot of arrests did.

Oh yeah when in doubt or need a juicy story blame the coach....not the 18, 19, 20 year old over entitled little punks who like to do this crap. Also the backgrounds of some blue chip athletes today are from "not so great families or areas" you can fill in the rest.

Ever watch the NFL, NBA Draft closely? Not many "nuclear families" there either.

I wouldn't want to coach some of these little thugs on a bet, well unless the money is REAL good. ;)

Meyer can't control every 18 year old, but he can create a culture that leads to unruly behavior. Then leave when shit hits the fan. That's what the "circle of Trust" created.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/2178871-urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

Archived