THE BROWNS BOARD

You Gotta Get Drunk Everyday

Sober Poet

This is my first post.

My translation of Charles Baudelaire's "Enivrez-Vous" (Get Drunk). I left the French there in case someone wants to critique or take a crack at it (you never know, seem to be some talented folks on this board). GO FREAKIN BROWNS!

Get Drunk
You gotta get drunk everyday.
That's it! That's all there is!
So as not to feel the horrible weight of Time
that breaks your shoulders and grinds you into the earth,
you gotta get drunk and you gotta stay drunk.
But on what? On wine, on poetry, or virtue, you get to pick!
But get drunk!
And if sometime, on the steps of a palace,
in the green grass of a ditch,
or in the mournful solitude of your room,
you awaken, your drunkenness already gone or disappearing,
ask the wind,
the wave,
the star,
the bird,
the clock,
ask everything that flees,
everything that groans,
everything that rolls,
everything that sings,
everything that speaks,
ask them what time it is;
and the wind,
the wave,
the star,
the bird,
the clock
will answer you:
"It's time to get drunk!"
So as not to be the martyred slaves of Time,
You gotta get drunk!
You gotta stay drunk!
On wine, on poetry or virtue, you get to pick!"
Enivrez-Vous

Il faut être toujours ivre.
Tout est là:
c'est l'unique question.
Pour ne pas sentir
l'horrible fardeau du Temps
qui brise vos épaules
et vous penche vers la terre,
il faut vous enivrer sans trêve.
Mais de quoi?
De vin, de poésie, ou de vertu, à votre guise.
Mais enivrez-vous.
Et si quelquefois,
sur les marches d'un palais,
sur l'herbe verte d'un fossé,
dans la solitude morne de votre chambre,
vous vous réveillez,
l'ivresse déjà diminuée ou disparue,
demandez au vent,
à la vague,
à l'étoile,
à l'oiseau,
à l'horloge,
à tout ce qui fuit,
à tout ce qui gémit,
à tout ce qui roule,
à tout ce qui chante,
à tout ce qui parle,
demandez quelle heure il est;
et le vent,
la vague,
l'étoile,
l'oiseau,
l'horloge,
vous répondront:
"Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
enivrez-vous;
enivrez-vous sans cesse!
De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."

Looks like we got another winner.

Getting drunk and BROWNS football, kind of goes together.

Hey One Post how've you been?

That was Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young....Deja Vu.

Touche again! Somebody is paying attention....Nash wrote it as a member of the Hollies yet they never recorded it.

OK, little trivia, guess who played steel guitar on the recorded version of Teach Your Children in 1970...

Give up? Jerry Garcia...word is he did not know how to play steel guitar at the time...he had to create small pieces of the part and loop and splice them to create the backing and solo.

Oh yes CSN & Y they were it when I was in college especially during Kent State and their epic Four Dead in Ohio by Stephen Young the young students today can learn something from those times.

And Graham Nash initially met both David Crosby and Stephen Stills in 1966 during a Hollies US tour. On a subsequent visit to the US in 1968, he was more formally introduced to Crosby by mutual friend Cass Elliott in Laurel Canyon, Los Angeles. Nash left the Hollies to form a new group with Crosby and Stills. A trio at first, Crosby, Stills & Nash later became a quartet with Neil Young: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (CSNY).

With both configurations, Nash went on to even greater worldwide success, penning many of CSN's most-commercial hit singles such as "Marrakesh Express" (which had been rejected by the Hollies), "Our House", "Teach Your Children" (also rejected by the Hollies), "Just a Song Before I Go" and "Wasted on the Way". Nash, nicknamed "Willy" by his band mates, has been described as the glue that keeps their often fragile alliances together.

Getting drunk and BROWNS football, kind of goes together.

Hey One Post how've you been?

Doing fine. I've been super busy with BK. my wife went on vacation without me because I had no one to fill in for me. But that's ok in August I'm getting drunk and playing golf.

How are you?

Doing fine. I've been super busy with BK. my wife went on vacation without me because I had no one to fill in for me. But that's ok in August I'm getting drunk and playing golf.

How are you?

Enjoying the retired life, I'm watching the Cleveland Indians game right now up 6-0 haven't missed a game this year.

Wife is still wrestling with her workman's compensation claim got hurt bad two years ago by another worker's stupidity. She had surgery last year but dealing with WC is ridiculous. I hope she's completely retired within a year but not 65 so there's still $$$$ health insurance.

Other than that we're fine, oh Indians 8-0. GO TRIBE!

Oh yes CSN & Y they were it when I was in college especially during Kent State and their epic Four Dead in Ohio by Stephen Young the young students today can learn something from those times.

You lucky dog. I came along a little later....

You made me think of the Simpsons:

Immediately after the quote in the vid they start playing "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter. Sweet.

Enjoying the retired life, I'm watching the Cleveland Indians game right now up 6-0 haven't missed a game this year.

Wife is still wrestling with her workman's compensation claim got hurt bad two years ago by another worker's stupidity. She had surgery last year but dealing with WC is ridiculous. I hope she's completely retired within a year but not 65 so there's still $$$$ health insurance.

Other than that we're fine, oh Indians 8-0. GO TRIBE!

I'm still waiting on my gift cards it's been forever. I have discretionary spending and I still made P n L but I haven't gotten them still. I'll dig deep and buy it myself soon.

I'm still waiting on my gift cards it's been forever. I have discretionary spending and I still made P n L but I haven't gotten them still. I'll dig deep and buy it myself soon.

Ah you've got to love a little bureaucracy in life. :huh:

Archived