THE BROWNS BOARD

Pure speculation

We need Tom Tupa

What could the effects of starting Quinn be?

On Edwards:

The way I see it, there are 4 possible explanations for all of his drops.

1) He sucks. If this is the case, then BQ wont make a difference. But I dont think it is the case. He is clearly an outrageous talent, so I move on to #2.

2) He hates playing for DA. Maybe they fought over a girl, maybe he is jealous of DA's shoe size, maybe he is sick of getting laid out because passes are too far in front or behind him. Whatever the case, if this is his problem then it has just been fixed.

3) DA throws a bad ball. BE and KW have both had alot of drops despite the fact that they are known to have great hands. Maybe this is on the QB. When you're never sure where the ball is going to end up, you cant just focus on getting your hands up and running. If this is the problem, we'll have to wait and see if BQ can be more accurate.

3) He is a headcase. I think this is the most likely explanation. That last drop yesterday was a perfect pass that went right through his hands. If this is the problem, maybe change at QB is a good thing. The worst case scenario here is that BQ has no affect at all.

On the running game:

I think it's safe to say that DA throws a better long ball. He throws 40 yard route as well as almost anyone. So defenses might not be as worried about the deep threat with Brady at QB. However, we were near the bottom of the league in long passes, and BQ has shown that he can throw it deep as well, so defenses might not make an adjustment based on that.

I also think it is safe to say that BQ throws a better short pass. Almost everyone does. If this is true, then defenses will have to leave another LB or 2 in coverage that would normally feel free to make a run for our backfield. In this situation, the holes at the line of scrimmage should be bigger for Lewis.

I also think it is possible that BQ is more versatile than DA - can make more of the throws and is more likely to scramble. If this is the case, than everything should open up a little bit. DBs have to worry about shorter routes, so the deep passing game should open up. Safeties and LBs need to worry about a scrambling QB, so shorter passes should open up. LBs will have to cover more ground as we exploit more of the field, so the running game should open up.

Of course, all of this assumes BQ is effective. There is also the possibility that he isnt:

He might be zeroed in on a favorite target or two due to his lack of reps with the first team. This would be a huge problem by game 2.

He might not have the timing of the offense down yet. That hurts every aspect of the game.

He might not be good. Damn, that would suck. Remember when we thought we had 2 starting QBs? What if it's 0?

Guest ATENEARS

On Edwards:

1) He sucks. If this is the case, then BQ wont make a difference. But I dont think it is the case. He is clearly an outrageous talent, so I move on to #2.

I disagree that he is an outrageous talent. Braylon Edwards is no different in his WR position than Derek Anderson is to the QB position. He's inconsistient as hell, and has big time mental lapses and has also missed on putting games away late. I would replace him in a heartbeat if legit #1 became available. Problem is, is that we still need a #2 and will have to continue to keep working to improve Braylon.

2) He hates playing for DA. Maybe they fought over a girl, maybe he is jealous of DA's shoe size, maybe he is sick of getting laid out because passes are too far in front or behind him. Whatever the case, if this is his problem then it has just been fixed.

Braylon Edwards is a #1 WR on a Professional NFL team. Getting "laid-out" maybe three times in 8 ball games is to be expected, it's part of why thin-rail 6'-3" beanpoles don't make it in this league. Also, for those who've forgot, you are also expected to go up and fight for the ball in the end zone or not. Hines Ward has done it to save Big Bens ass, probably three times per ball game. How many timjes does Ward get laid out per game? Another three? Don't pussify the Braylon for doing his job a time or two ... he sucks in regards to fighting to get open and fighting for the ball.

3) DA throws a bad ball. BE and KW have both had alot of drops despite the fact that they are known to have great hands. Maybe this is on the QB. When you're never sure where the ball is going to end up, you cant just focus on getting your hands up and running. If this is the problem, we'll have to wait and see if BQ can be more accurate.

Maybe DA throws too hard for Braylon to catch and others are afraid of the velocity too. Brady Quinn throws a more "normal ball" and should be more effective at eliminating drops. Remember, Braylons knock ain't that he drops the circus catches from off-target throws, his knock is catching the ones right to him, so hopefully Quinn ain't too accurate (lol).

3) He is a headcase. I think this is the most likely explanation. That last drop yesterday was a perfect pass that went right through his hands. If this is the problem, maybe change at QB is a good thing. The worst case scenario here is that BQ has no affect at all.

I like to justify the "headcase" label as, "He's just from Michigan ... whadda ya expect"

On the running game:

I think it's safe to say that DA throws a better long ball. He throws 40 yard route as well as almost anyone. So defenses might not be as worried about the deep threat with Brady at QB. However, we were near the bottom of the league in long passes, and BQ has shown that he can throw it deep as well, so defenses might not make an adjustment based on that.

I also think it is safe to say that BQ throws a better short pass. Almost everyone does. If this is true, then defenses will have to leave another LB or 2 in coverage that would normally feel free to make a run for our backfield. In this situation, the holes at the line of scrimmage should be bigger for Lewis.

I agree I think it will help with BQ in there. If as advertised he will spread the field more and open the short 3-5 yard runs more, which I'll take anything over the 1-2 yard gains at this point. DA and/or the scheme/personnel didn't stretch the field deep as advertised, they didn't stretch the field at all.

Just like with Braylon ... the Running game can't get much worst (ironically the same pitch for the QB play).

I also think it is possible that BQ is more versatile than DA - can make more of the throws and is more likely to scramble.

I hope so. I wished DA would have tucked it an ran more often. Some of the biggest runs against us this season (except for last week) were by scrambling QB's. I hate when other QB's do that to us.

I'm worried about our lack to establish passing lanes. I've seen this theory still in practice around the league, but seldom ever mentioned when the Browns are playing. Will Brady need lanes, or will he move better in the pocket (and out of) and find his own?

Good Thread, I just had to jump in and punch Braylon in the face a few times.

Its warranted.

Your read that BE is similar to DA is pretty dead on: very nice physical attributes for their positions but apparently lacking in mental fortitude to be consistent and perform under pressure.

On Edwards:

On the running game:

I also think it is possible that BQ is more versatile than DA - can make more of the throws and is more likely to scramble. If this is the case, than everything should open up a little bit. DBs have to worry about shorter routes, so the deep passing game should open up. Safeties and LBs need to worry about a scrambling QB, so shorter passes should open up. LBs will have to cover more ground as we exploit more of the field, so the running game should open up.

Of course, all of this assumes BQ is effective. There is also the possibility that he isnt:

He might be zeroed in on a favorite target or two due to his lack of reps with the first team. This would be a huge problem by game 2.

He might not have the timing of the offense down yet. That hurts every aspect of the game.

He might not be good. Damn, that would suck. Remember when we thought we had 2 starting QBs? What if it's 0?

I suspect both 2 and 3 are at play here and BE has a new chance to save his career with bq because if he is still dropping crucial accurate passes i dont think we will keep him around bq is a better field general and will demand his players to play and bq wont mind complaining to rac that he needs a new number 1 if BE cant cut it..

I think bq will put winning at the forefront just as it should be...once BQ is settled in he isnt going to toss the ball unless the reciever is open which means if the recievers want to make plays they have to work to get open it will be up to bq to hit the reciever in stride and give them the best opportunity to get extra yards after the catch and reduce damage taken after the catch if quinn can pull this off our offense will begin to believe in each other again.. bq will likely not force the ball without seeing a better than 50% chance to nail it unlike DA who just sometimes threw with reckless abandon..

As I have stated multiple times, the QB/WR relationship is built on trust.

Because of this, it explains a lot about the DA/BE/K2 relationship.

DA is inaccurate. Nobody can deny this. Even the national pundits are finally admitting that DA is not an overly accurate QB and that he has benefited quite a bit by having an 'extended strike zone' due to the size of his WR's last year (6'5"/6'4"/6'4"). He also benefited from the fact that K2 and BE are two of the more physically dominant players at their positions, and are truly gifted athletes.

However, over the course of last year and the beginning of this year...it was expected that DA would IMPROVE on his accuracy. When that didn't happen and he continued to lead his receivers into HUGE HITS and force them into acrobatic adjustments to make a catch...the TRUST was undermined.

Now BE and K2 are always looking to take that big hit. Always preparing to take that shot they just KNOW is coming. This causes gator arms...and loss of concentration. It also causes them to be somewhat surprised when the ball is on target. Hence, DROPS!!!

Once the drops started...then it is the QB who no longer has trust. DA started doubting if his big 2 (or any other receiver) was going to go after the ball like they needed to. He started feeling the pressure to be razor accurate. The results are the massive amounts of overthrows and throws into the ground and holding onto the ball too long. This accounts for the low completion percentages and the increase in sacks.

It is a vicious cycle.

So, what to I expect from BE and K2 going forward? It depends on if they trust BQ to put the ball where it needs to be and not get them lit up. If they trust BQ, the drops and poor route running will decrease almost immediately. If they don't...BQ is in for a rude welcome.

Its warranted.

Your read that BE is similar to DA is pretty dead on: very nice physical attributes for their positions but apparently lacking in mental fortitude to be consistent and perform under pressure.

I agree that the DA and BE situatons are alot alike. The difference is we may have the answer to the DA position on our own bench. With BE we do not, who would you replace him with, with any hope of improving this team?

Archived