THE BROWNS BOARD

Way off topic...Anyone seeing Star Trek tonight?

Which is why I asked had anyone else heard this rumor.

I'm looking forward to it myself, but am ready for a break in the timeline.

The rumor has been announced false by the creators. Go its IMDB page, there's a FAQ about it. I'm surprised you actually fell for such a stupid rumor. In short: He does not have his skin ripped off and placed on a Terminator.

I was disappointed with the movie. Not because of the break with the past (it gives them the ability to do whatever they want now), but with the storyline, plot, and even 'action'.

For example, there really wasn't any purpose to the Nimoy-Spock tie in, and the entire 'how Kirk met Nimoy-Spock' scene was just contrived (he is randomly dispatched to a planet and just HAPPENS to be chased into the caver where Spock is staying, who just happens to decide to go to the outpost NOW). Not to mention, he wouldn't have just been dumped on an iceball planet far away from an (apparently) inactive outpost with no supplies. That entire section of the movie could have been dumped, with no loss at all.

It started with the whole Corvette chase scene. Where did he get the gasoline for this vehicle from living in a society where gasoline is no longer used? And then he leaps from the car as he sends it over a cliff? Come on, basic physics still apply in this universe. Same thing with the 'beam them up while falling at terminal velocity'.

WTF was that Alien with Scottie? What purpose did it serve?

Destroying Nero's ship? So no one thought of destroying it via core ejection? Duh. How did he even come by this supership? From the movie, my understanding is that he was a miner.

The fight on Nero's ship was ridiculous - the ship wasn't really laid out in any sort of logical fashion. Yeah, I know it's the future, but there are still certain 'rules' to laying out a ship for any bipedal species that cannot climb, fly, or leap great distances (Romulans can't do any of those things). Not to mention that Romulans are supposed to be baddasses - a ship full of these guys couldn't take out two dudes beamed in?

The Enterprise engine room looked like something out of a beer factory. You have all of these mocked-up aluminum containers and this whole maze of water-cooling using pipes out of a current aircraft carrier that would be ridiculously susceptible to damage in a fight. It didn't fit in with the very modern feel of the rest of the ship.

I didn't care for the acting, and trying to shoehorn the original casts various mannerisms into the new actors just didn't work. They can't deliver the lines the same way, so why even try? In particular, the lines from Scottie and McCoy felt really forced.

To me it didn't seem like they thought the plot out enough - lots of 'oh crap, how can we make this happen? Lets just come up with something random or ignore the obvious to advance the plot.'

I didn't hate the movie, I just didn't think it was that good. About average, IMO.

It appears his target audience wasn't Trek fans, which is fine. Unfortunately, what we got was a watered down action movie with the Star Trek name to help sell tickets. Throw a different name on this movie, and it does just average in the box office and reviews. Sort of like Indiana Jones 4 (without all of the CGI 'animals'...)

The rumor has been announced false by the creators. Go its IMDB page, there's a FAQ about it. I'm surprised you actually fell for such a stupid rumor. In short: He does not have his skin ripped off and placed on a Terminator.

I didn't FALL for it, I just asked if anyone else had HEARD IT.

After all, IMDB is a great source to check up on stuff but you've got to take EVERYTHING you hear on the net with a grain on salt.

Saw it Friday morning and will have the review on Westside Steve'

s Movie reviews shortly.

Spoiler.

A+

WSS

WARNING: SPOILER

As the resident Trekkie, I'll disagree. B Special effects over plot. Wow, the Bridge of the Enterprise actually looks like a Starship. With the firepower the nouveau Enterprise has, it would have vaporized that pesky Romulan vessel in "Balance of Terror" in short order. Oh, and if you want to be real picky, allowing for all that time travel stuff in :Enterprise when Kirk destroys the Romulan vessel, the timeline should have reset.

Sorry guys Kirk was born in Riverside, Iowa not in space- as Spock would say, "most annoying". . Damn details.

Who did I think did the most reasonable facsimile of the original cast? In descending order- Scottie, Sulu, Chekkov, Spock, McCoy, Kirk, Uhura.

I have never seen a Star Trek or Star Wars show or movie (Are they the same thing?).

Yes. The Trek Wars can be very intense when Spock and Darth Vader go at it on the Enterprise with light sabers. Brutal stuff.

I just watched the Wrath of Khan and may make a run for this Star Trek stuff. I even Wikkied it.

Don't knock anything until you fry it Satn.

Archived