THE BROWNS BOARD

● 1964 Niles vs Massillon "game of the century" 30,128 att. 48+52 unbeaten streaks ▪︎ Akron Rubber Bowl ▪︎

~     1964 Niles vs Massillon "game of the century" 30,128 att. 48+52 unbeaten streaks at  the Akron Rubber Bowl  !

■  Reliving Niles' loss to Massillon on the 50th anniversary   -  Friday, September 19, 2014

▪︎. By, Steve Ruman sports@vindy.com.    NOTE :  These are old links, MAY NOT WORK  !    vindy.com  may not be valid anymore. 

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/sep/19/game-for-the-ages/?mobile

It began quietly on Sept. 26, 1959 when the Niles McKinley Red Dragons defeated Lakewood St. Edward 36-6 at Niles Riverside Stadium.

Though the 3,500 fans in attendance didnt know it at the time, they were witnessing the beginning of what became arguably the greatest accomplishment in local high school football history.

The Red Dragons win over the Eagles marked the start of a five-year unbeaten streak.

By the time the streak reached its 47th game in November of 1963, Niles was regularly playing in front of crowds in excess of 10,000, both home and away. Along the way, the Red Dragons won a pair of state titles, and were viewed as Ohios premiere program.

The unbeaten streak reached 48 games when the Dragons opened the 1964 season by trouncing Cleveland East Tech 54-0.

Then, one week later on Sept. 19, 1964 50 years ago today the streak came to an end when Massillon defeated Niles 14-8. It was perhaps the most highly anticipated regular-season game in the states history.

The legendary game was played at the Akron Rubber Bowl in front of 30,128 fans.  The contest also garnered national media attention. Wire stories on the outcome were published the following day in newspapers across the country.

The atmosphere was unlike anything I had ever seen, said Bob Shaw, a Niles assistant under head coach Glenn Stennett in 1964.

I just remember telling myself over and over again, this is a high school game. It seemed too surreal. I remember telling the players to enjoy the moment, because they were taking part in a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The game featured a pair of first-year head coaches. Stennett replaced Tony Mason, who was the architect of the Red Dragons unbeaten streak. Mason left the program in January to join the coaching staff at the University of Michigan.

In March, Leo Strang left Massillon to assume the role of head coach at Kent State University. He was replaced by Earle Bruce.

Bruce coached Massillon for two years. He posted a 20-0 record and won a pair of state titles. He went on to serve as a head coach in the college ranks for 21 years, including nine at Ohio State University.

Despite coaching on colleges biggest stage, Bruce said he never felt more pressure to win a single game than on the night his Tigers played the Red Dragons.

I was reminded about the importance of that Niles game the moment I arrived in Massillon, Bruce said. The build-up was something that you cant appreciate unless you were part of it.

I probably lost more sleep over the Niles game than any other Ive ever been a part of. I dont think I slept for three weeks leading up to that night.

Bruce recalled an afternoon several months before the game when he was visited by a Massillon booster. The two were in the kitchen when Bruce looked out the window and mentioned how he needed to mow his unkempt backyard.

The booster says to me, Never mind the yard, you just worry about Niles. If you lose that game youll have the biggest load of garbage dumped on your yard and you wont have to worry about seeing grass, Bruce said. Thats when I knew that the town meant business when it came to its football team.

Indeed, months before the showdown, Bruce began searching for any edge he could gain over Niles.

Under Mason, Niles was notorious for its ability to mentally wear down an opponent. Much of Masons coaching revolved around motivation.

Looking for a psychological edge of his own, Bruce ordered uniforms specially-made for the game which included the words, Beat Niles on the back of the jerseys. The jerseys were not unveiled until Sept. 19 when the players returned to the locker room following pregame warmups

Our guys put those shirts on, and so help me they were just begging to charge back onto that field, Bruce said. We knew Niles was going to be chattering at us. We just couldnt wait to respond by turning our backs to them. It was a Socky thing to do, but gamesmanship was a big part of football back then.

As the two teams made their way out of the locker room and onto the field, Dave Rowbotham recalled the surreal atmosphere which greeted the players. Rowbotham was a senior defensive back for the Red Dragons. He went on to have a 40-year career as an assistant coach at various schools.

We came out of the tunnel, and the noise was just deafening, Rowbotham said. For players on both sides, that moment when we charged onto the field was perhaps the most unbelievable, memorable moment of our high school career.

Though Niles scored first, and in fact owned a statistical edge over Massillon, a pair of second quarter touchdowns were all the Tigers would need to seal the win.

Niles fullback Cee Ellison ran in from the one-yard line on the fourth play of the second quarter and added a two-point conversion to give the Dragons a 8-0 lead.

The score capped a 15-play, 67-yard drive that included 35 yards through the air from George Infante.

Two series later, Tigers halfback Jim Lawrence took a pitch from Steve Kanner, turned the corner and outraced the Niles secondary for Massillons first touchdown.

Lawrence was challenged by Rowbotham at the five, but a block from guard Tom Whitfield allowed Lawrence to walk into the end zone. Hewitt ran in the two-point conversion to tie the game.

Looking to answer, Ellison fumbled at the Red Dragons own 26-yard line, setting up the other Tigers score.

Three plays later, Kanner connected with Paige from 16 yards out to give Massillon a 14-8 advantage.

That was a play I designed especially for the game, Bruce recalled. The reason I remember it so well was because of how well we ran the play. It was as if we had run it over and over again.

Play was contained between the 40 yard lines throughout the third quarter, but Ellison and Mel Dixon got the Red Dragons to the Massillon 28 to start the fourth quarter. However, two incompletions and two running plays, which netted just five yards, ended the threat.

Niles had one last chance, with the ball on the Massillon 13-yard line, but couldnt find the end zone for the game-tying score. They turned the ball back over to the Tigers with 56 seconds showing on the clock.

If ever a game deserved to end in a tie, it was that game, Rowbotham said. It was as evenly-matched as you could get. Both teams were just completely exhausted at the end. I think everyone walked off the field with the utmost respect for the opponent.

Bruce called the game the hardest-hitting contest I have ever seen at the high school level.

Despite the high emotions, the two teams combined for just five penalties.

It was two teams just fighting tooth and nail from start to finish, Bruce said. An extremely clean and well-played game by both sides, but man was there hitting

Bruce described the victory as the day I became a Massillon Tiger. The win was especially rewarding because at the time, Massillon owned the states all-time longest unbeaten streak of 52 games.

We knew we were playing for the entire community, and for those teams that established that streak, Bruce said. After the game, the celebration was unlike anything I had ever experienced at any level. Im pretty sure every citizen of Massillon was inside that locker room.

On the Niles side, Rowbotham remembers a locker room filled with more tears than were probably ever shed over a game. The Dragons exited the stadium through a tunnel of Niles fans who were trying to lift the spirits of their fallen players.

They were telling us to keep our heads up, that we played a great game, but we were devastated, Rowbotham said. The bus ride home was like death.

Shaw said the loss was heartbreaking for a group of Niles players who had never experienced defeat at the high school level.

It was brutal, especially in that surrounding, Shaw said. We all knew the streak was going to end sooner or later, but that didnt ease the pain. I remember running off the field thinking that it would have been better to get beat by 30 than to have come so close and not win.

As much as the loss hurt, it was a blessing and a privilege to even be involved in something of that magnitude. Anyone who was in Akron that night will never forget the experience.

Massillon would finish the season 10-0 and win a state title. Niles finished 8-2, dropping its other game to Cincinnati Roger Bacon.

■  Niles 48 game. winning streak + Massillon with a big 52 game winning streak = 100 total undefeated games  = between the two teams.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/sep/19/game-for-the-ages/?mobile

Game of the century in high school football?   You bet it was!

I wonder how many high school matchups then or since in the USA can match those numbers?

• 2 months later...

●  Nice posts.  ●   I went to the game when Niles played Cardinal Mooney in 1963. Mooney dominated Niles and had one loss for the year. They should have won but sometimes the best team loses. Mooney was better than Niles that year. They dominated every team including Niles. I just wish one team in Ohio can become a dominant force for years like Massillon was. Where is Paul Brown a champion at every level when you need him Browns. BTW the attendance at that game was 15-20,000 at Youngstown Rayen Stadium where YSU played then.

I remember those years all to well ..... 

♥︎   I remember those years I had a complete scrapbook as a kid in 1961 and 1963 both State Championship years for Niles.

And in 1963  was the  Bo Rein senior season where he averaged  2.5 TDs/ game   and went on to the Ohio State University under coach  Woody Hayes  and then pro football and baseball.

Mooney 1963 regular Season: 6-2-1 City Series: 5-1-1 (1st) Non Conference:1-1 Diocese: 1-0-1

13-Sep

Mooney 0 *Niles McKinley at Rayen 46 L

Niles won 46-0 and went on to the All-American conference after that and basically quit playing the local schools. I also remember WKBN sportscaster Don Gardner saying before the game that Mooney would win and after the game that Mooney just had an off game  yes a 0-46 off game.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to see so many of you sports minded fans have visited this thread. Even though this game was 53 years ago I've always liked historical sports articles to compare then and now and other interesting sports stories.

When you see the declines in sports attendance and budgets it is important to try to keep interest in sports and sports history as alive and well as possible for current and future generations.

And who would have thought Earle Bruce's roots started in Massillon or that over 30,000 people attended a high school football game?

The legendary game was played at the Akron Rubber Bowl in front of 30,128 fans. The contest also garnered national media attention. Wire stories on the outcome were published the following day in newspapers across the country....

Legendary indeed at the now gone Akron Rubber Bowl in front of    30,128   fans, just a memory now.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 6:48 PM, mjp28 said:

I'm glad to see so many of you sports minded fans have visited this thread. Even though this game was 53 years ago I've always liked historical sports articles to compare then and now and other interesting sports stories.

When you see the declines in sports attendance and budgets it is important to try to keep interest in sports and sports history as alive and well as possible for current and future generations.

And who would have thought Earle Bruce's roots started in Massillon or that over 30,000 people attended a high school football game?

Legendary indeed.

And the historic Akron Rubber Bowl is now history itself.

Was on the field there several times and at a few now classic rock concerts there in the later 1960s and 1970s.......oh yeah, ROCK ON!

As we come up on yet another football season I sometimes wonder where it all began for me, well here it is two days before my 9th birthday with my dad, we saw every NILES MCKINLEY HIGH SCHOOL football game,  what an era.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It began quietly on Sept. 26, 1959 when the Niles McKinley Red Dragons defeated Lakewood St. Edward 36-6 at Niles Riverside Stadium.

Though the 3,500 fans in attendance didnt know it at the time, they were witnessing the beginning of what became arguably the greatest accomplishment in local high school football history.

The Red Dragons win over the Eagles marked the start of a five-year unbeaten streak.

By the time the streak reached its 47th game in November of 1963, Niles was regularly playing in front of crowds in excess of 10,000, both home and away. Along the way, the Red Dragons won a pair of state titles, and were viewed as Ohios premiere program.........

• 1 month later...

Strange small world, tonight I was coming home from the hospital via a local ambulance two young guys on the crew both football fans started talking about football including high school football got around to Niles McKinley RED DRAGON football including the 1964 NILES - MASSILLON Game of the Century and this one NILES - MASSILLON 1966.

He googled them up, I told him I was there on the sidelines in NILES in 1966 and listened to the 1964 NILES AT MASSILLON GAME....amazing moments.

• 1 month later...

Wow, 2019 will be the 55th anniversary of that game, I guess all of the players are retired now or not with us anymore.

Time sure does fly.

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2018 at 3:52 AM, mjp28 said:

Wow, 2019 will be the 55th anniversary of that game, I guess all of the players are retired now or not with us anymore.

Time sure does fly.

They did have some reminiscing and interviews with some of the players that we're still around from that 1964 game. Old and grey and largely retired, teachers, policemen, all different walks of life many who's grandchildren were now playing high school football.

It was interesting reading about and hearing their stories.

Time does indeed fly by... for all of us.  ;)

• 1 month later...

February 2020, since the Vindicator is now history the links may not work.

Youngstown is now the largest city in Ohio without a local newspaper.   Not good.  <--▪︎.  (edit) .....  Not good for America when we lose small  local newspapers.   We lose the truth about small to medium size American history, reporting and life.

The internet is not the same,  we still need professional reporters.   

Edited by mjp28
The history of small town America.

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2020 at 12:36 PM, mjp28 said:

February 2020, since the Vindicator is now history the links may not work.

Youngstown is now the largest city in Ohio without a local newspaper.   Not good.

Some of the old Vindicator links still not working even though the (Warren) Tribune Chronicle has taken the old (Youngstown) Vindicator name and has a mahoning county section.

Every time a local newspaper goes under we lose a small piece of the American fabric and history...... besides the local watchdogs protecting us all.

• 1 year later...

AUGUST 28, 2021 -  I was just looking around the internet on another subject and happened to find this....... does anyone else remember those old programs ?

From the now extinct Akron Rubber Bowl and 9 days from my 14th birthday.

1964-9-19.jpg

• mjp28 changed the title to 1964 Niles vs Massillon "game of the century" 30,128 att. 48+52 unbeaten streaks at Akron Rubber Bowl
  • 2 weeks later...

In 2019  -  the 55th anniversity of this game.

In 2024  -  next year  it will be the  60th anniversary  of this historic game well in it's time.   Now  many of it's players and coaches may be gone then too  -but- I hope to be here again..  Who knows about the upcoming   65, 70 or more annivesaries.     I guess we'll all see soon enough  .....   🏈

......  edit ..... that  helmet looked almost  exactly  like my first helmet in the 5th & 6th grade.  Single bar red, white stripe.

My first spikes in high school had a  rare  left  foot  square toe  kicking shoe (Lou Groza style) from 1965-66-67.   Wow .... back then.  Rev. October 28, 2023.   [ I believe that I returned it to the equipment room, probably long gone now some  57 +/-  years ago.  Rev. 01/01/2024. ]

And see the 1964 program below .....

1964-9-19.thumb.jpg.1659581f10f3e78706f18a8abd602463 (1).jpg

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 5:12 PM, waynebarnes said:

Great information! Thanks a lot for it

No problem Wayne,  who is also just a memory like a book checked out and read just  once  and returned .....  never to be heard from again.

Just a memory in time some  5½  years ago who like Wayne is gone and never heard from again   

♣︎   Rev. January 01, 2024.   mjp.

• mjp28 changed the title to ● 1964 Niles vs Massillon "game of the century" 30,128 att. 48+52 unbeaten streaks ▪︎ Akron Rubber Bowl ▪︎

★  ( Rev. January 25, 2024 )  -  I would be interested in hearing from the great high school football  powers alumni in Ohio like Massillon,  Canton McKinley and the Warren high schools like Warren Western Reserve,  Warren G. Harding  and other Ohio schools in the Cleveland,  Columbus,  Cincinnati  and other areas.

Both on these two stories from  1964 and  1966 by the (now closed)  Youngstown Vindicator and other stories from the above mentioned high schools and others like the areas around. Akron, Ashtabuls, Toledo, Steubenville,  and the smaller farm and southern counties which I always had some interest in.

[ ▪︎ My read on this story.]

▪︎. My grandfather used to have a post office run in the 1960s and early 1970s  between the smaller post offices  from  the a Niles (my hometown) and the Warren post offices  to  the many small post offices in the outlying beautiful  farm countries and the many little towns and villages around Kinsman,  Mespo, and the towns around the  Mosquito Lake areas. 

It was so much fun if we would do an allowed ride along with him delivering the small locked bags of mail and packages to these small often one person  post office drop offs and pickups for the  Niles and Warren post offices.   It was a fun but brief time.

I wondered where did these kids go to school ?   Play sports (many did) ?   Football ?  Many had basketball, some pretty good !  And I've always followed their scores !  Sports is such a big thing in the state of Ohio.

[ ▪︎ End of my read on this story. ]

SO,  please contribute  your  local newspaper or high school information or even your own stories if you have them here  ON THIS HIGH SCHOOL FORUM.

■   Thank you,  mjp  or  mjp28,  moderator on the  BROWNS, GUARDIANS and HIGH SCHOOL  Forums here.