THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns trade for BROCK OSWEILER

LondonBrown

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I thinking of someone else? Because there was definitely some idiot in mid-October saying Hue should be fired. Pretty sure it was you.

Thats probably after he benched Kessler for Mccown who proceeded to throw 2 interceptions and lost us the game. Where as Kessler just finished a TD Drive and held the lead for the half with a 90+ QBR.

Actually why not look at WalterFootball.com's take on the game.

http://walterfootball.com/nflreview2016_10.php

Moving on to the Browns, I've always defended Hue Jackson, as I liked what he accomplished in Oakland, and he had the Browns playing hard this year. What he did in this game proves that he doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL. Rookie quarterback Cody Kessler had been playing somewhat well, as he stood 11-of-18 for 91 yards and a touchdown in slightly more than a half of action. His final snap in this contest occurred with a lead. The Ravens took over and managed to score a touchdown with a horrific non-call by incompetent official Jerome Boger on what should've been an intentional grounding on Flacco, who failed to get the ball past the line of scrimmage. The Ravens were leading only 13-7 at that point, and Cleveland was still well in the game. Considering that Kessler had not turned the ball over and wasn't performing poorly, no head coach with a clue would've benched him.

But Jackson did. And the results were disastrous. Josh McCown's first drive featured an interception. His arm was hit by Terrell Suggs as he released the ball, but his throwing motion is slower than Kessler's. McCown's second possession featured a near-interception and then a fumble, which he was lucky to recover. On the third drive, McCown launched a careless interception into double coverage. He was guilty of a strip-sack on the fourth drive, as he showed zero awareness in the pocket. His fifth drive featured a tipped pass that was inches away from being a pick-six.

McCown did not look ready to play, and the stats demonstrate it. He was 6-of-13 for 59 yards and two picks. He was infinitely worse than Kessler, and the Browns didn't have a chance to stay competitive with McCown under center. Again, it was a 13-7 contest when Jackson yanked a healthy Kessler. Perhaps Kessler would've been able to engineer some drives, and it's likely that he would've been more careful with the ball than McCown was. There's really no excuse for Jackson's abysmal decision-making, and if the Browns want to fire him as a result of this embarrassing performance, I couldn't blame them at all.

I'll remind you that this was a nationally televised Thursday night game. In the beginning of November.

as for Horton i KNEW he would be bad the moment he was hired i had hoped he would have been fired the day after he was hired.

So is your point that one bad decision should result in dismissal?

Generally, Walter football isn't of much use other than noise filling the void. I'm not surprised to read that from there. Absolutely a bad decision...But it's only worthy of dismissal is it's a pattern, not an isolated incident.

Anyone care to speculate on the paying for picks thing? Basically how we get away with it...

Because we traded for a player. We wanted the player, and just happend to get some picks with it.

I'm going to guess this hurt Brock's value...

Week 17 altercation was last straw for Texans and Osweiler
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2017, 11:48 AM EDT

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Savage became very upset, knocking things around in the locker room and otherwise making a ruckus about having his status jeopardized by a doctor’s decision to keep him from playing. At or about the same time, coach Bill O’Brien informed Osweiler that he’d be finishing the game.

Osweiler, per the source, reacted negatively, telling O’Brien in the visiting coach’s office at Nissan Stadium in Nashville that he’s only playing Osweiler because O’Brien needs him. [Editor’s note: That’s sort of how football depth charts work.] An argument ensued, voices were raised. At one point, it’s believed that Osweiler got up to walk away and O’Brien threw out an arm to stop him. That prompted Osweiler to act as if he were being “held hostage,” a claim that he would repeat (per the source) in the days after the game.

And that was that for Osweiler in Houston. Following that incident, the team was determined to find a way to move on from him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/12/week-17-altercation-was-last-straw-for-texans-and-osweiler/

Am I thinking of someone else? Because there was definitely some idiot in mid-October saying Hue should be fired. Pretty sure it was you.

That incident Caine admitted to. Ghoolie wanted Hue fired before he coached a game. :)

So is your point that one bad decision should result in dismissal?

Generally, Walter football isn't of much use other than noise filling the void. I'm not surprised to read that from there. Absolutely a bad decision...But it's only worthy of dismissal is it's a pattern, not an isolated incident.

I can forgive him if he played Griffin at the end of the year to confirm in his own mind he made a big boo-boo wanting him in the first place. . But there were plenty of other if not bad, disorganized decisions. Horrible clock management, stupid penalties- and who can forget calling a time out on the first play of a game?

But there were plenty of other if not bad, disorganized decisions. Horrible clock management, stupid penalties- and who can forget calling a time out on the first play of a game?

What? Reality is not a fair thing to bring into discussions like this. I loved that T.O. Showed 'em we were unafraid to make immediate decisions when we saw the game plan was all wrong.

Great...Show me a coach that doesn't make bone head calls on occasion...

BB onside kick anyone? GOAT just did what...

If you can tolerate, ask a couple Steeler fans about Tomlins game day coaching prowess.

Hue's got 2 years in as a HC...If you're expecting flawless execution, the problem is not hue.

BB onside kick anyone? GOAT just did what...

I prefer his 4th and 2 on his own 20-something late vs. Indy... with the lead...

Thats probably after he benched Kessler for Mccown who proceeded to throw 2 interceptions and lost us the game. Where as Kessler just finished a TD Drive and held the lead for the half with a 90+ QBR.

Actually why not look at WalterFootball.com's take on the game.

http://walterfootball.com/nflreview2016_10.php

Let's not forget what Walter Football is. It's a website. Websites want clicks. You don't get clicks for making nuanced, common-sense arguments. You get clicks with hot takes like "What he did in this game proves that he doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL." What utter and complete bull shit.

Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his first season. What he did in that season proves that he doesn't have what it takes to be a QB in the NFL.

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first season with the Dallas Cowboys. Sound familiar? Bill Parcells went 3-12-1 his first year with the Giants. But hey, What they did in those seasons proves that they don't have what it takes to be head coaches in the NFL.

Stop being so damn impatient. Impatience is what has killed this team time and time again.

lol we'll see...he has this year to prove he can be a coach on our team, less if we start 0-X. Gregg could take over at the bye in that scenario.

Y'all are too quick to defend Hue but fact is he is one of the few coaches remaining from a 1-19 season, he is statistically the WORST head coach the browns have ever had. But i saw improvement early on in the year under kessler and our running game i have faith Hue can bounce back as an offensive coach and coach with a little more clarity now that he has been served with some humility. Flip of that coin i had ZERO faith in Horton and was vindicated and proven correct that we had the WORST defense in franchise history.

That being said it's difficult to evaluate Jackson with the anchor that was Horton. It's difficult to judge players on the defense as well. But he acted like a ROOKIE head coach and I'm hoping with Gregg Williams on board to mentor him and taking over all defensive aspects will let Hue perform better. Again I've not heard of a co-coaching situation but this really resembles that setup. With Williams talking about me vs. him, and "My" defense. It's a lot different than it has been in the previous 5 years atleast.

Bearing all this in mind i also believe Jackson has been relieved of alot of his player evaluation duties. frankly because he's not very good at them its not his strong suit at all. RG3? Seriously thats your hand chosen QB? Kessler was the best QB on the team last year and he was "allegedly" an analytics pick. If he would have won a few games for us i have a feeling Hue would have claimed all the credit in the world for it. After being benched in the ravens game. Kessler played a little bit in the next game and was benched the rest of the year. at the end of the year he led all browns QB's in ALL stats.

Hue's Picked QB was so Bad he was recently made totally expendable by Brock Osweiler. That's how bad Hue missed.

Scores after Kessler became the Starter 24,20,13,26,17,28,10 after he was benched 7,9,13,10,13,20,24.

i can throw numbers all day as to why benching your most productive QB is stupid but i really dont need too and NFL Coach should know better. Its this kind of shit I'm hoping has humbled Jackson and is going to let him learn from his mistakes.

Do i even need to mention that cameron erving was playing center most of the year because jackson "Believed" in him. he's responsible for over 30 QB Sacks and i dont even know how many QB Hits and run plays he let get blown up. more than 50% of our teams sacks are directly responsible to ONE player. and Hue KEPT PLAYING HIM.... WHY?!? What sense does this make?!

The only logical thing i could think of was that we needed to put film of him out there so that we can trade him for anything this upcoming preseason.

From Free Agency to the end of the year firing to the new hires I firmly believe that the "Analytics" some people seem to argue against so vehemently has assumed MUCH MORE control this year. This Should enable Hue to focus on the one thing he should be focused on. Scoring Points and Running an offense. No lets resurrect RG's Career and show everyone how great of QB coach i am *derp*. No lets play Erving because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A CENTER IS DO. Hopefully less timeouts on the first play of half. Hopefully our Team gains some DISCIPLINE a trait that was sorely missed last year.

Long story short, Hopefully the Brain Trust has relieved Hue of some of his HC responsibility in order to facilitate more effective team management and Hide Hue's Weaknesses and exemplify his Strengths as a coach. While Also Leaning on Williams for team Discipline

Yeah, the Patriots are firing Belichik and the entire FO. I heard Craft SCREAMING.........................."How did we miss Brock Ah, Er..........Who the fuck is that guy again?

Fuck, this is really Earth Shattering.................... We made a fucking trade, and not one starting football player was involved. WOW..............this is some scintillating shit.

Osweiler could in fact be the Browns starting QB. Nothing is decided on that venue yet.

True enough Gipper all the radio speculation the last couple days was there would have been a deal made for him before the weekend was over.

WSS

If they do decide to move him...I am not sure it is all that urgent to consummate a trade. Sometime before the draft perhaps.

lol we'll see...he has this year to prove he can be a coach on our team, less if we start 0-X. Gregg could take over at the bye in that scenario.

Y'all are too quick to defend Hue but fact is he is one of the few coaches remaining from a 1-19 season, he is statistically the WORST head coach the browns have ever had. But i saw improvement early on in the year under kessler and our running game i have faith Hue can bounce back as an offensive coach and coach with a little more clarity now that he has been served with some humility. Flip of that coin i had ZERO faith in Horton and was vindicated and proven correct that we had the WORST defense in franchise history.

That being said it's difficult to evaluate Jackson with the anchor that was Horton. It's difficult to judge players on the defense as well. But he acted like a ROOKIE head coach and I'm hoping with Gregg Williams on board to mentor him and taking over all defensive aspects will let Hue perform better. Again I've not heard of a co-coaching situation but this really resembles that setup. With Williams talking about me vs. him, and "My" defense. It's a lot different than it has been in the previous 5 years atleast.

Bearing all this in mind i also believe Jackson has been relieved of alot of his player evaluation duties. frankly because he's not very good at them its not his strong suit at all. RG3? Seriously thats your hand chosen QB? Kessler was the best QB on the team last year and he was "allegedly" an analytics pick. If he would have won a few games for us i have a feeling Hue would have claimed all the credit in the world for it. After being benched in the ravens game. Kessler played a little bit in the next game and was benched the rest of the year. at the end of the year he led all browns QB's in ALL stats.

Hue's Picked QB was so Bad he was recently made totally expendable by Brock Osweiler. That's how bad Hue missed.

Scores after Kessler became the Starter 24,20,13,26,17,28,10 after he was benched 7,9,13,10,13,20,24.

i can throw numbers all day as to why benching your most productive QB is stupid but i really dont need too and NFL Coach should know better. Its this kind of shit I'm hoping has humbled Jackson and is going to let him learn from his mistakes.

Do i even need to mention that cameron erving was playing center most of the year because jackson "Believed" in him. he's responsible for over 30 QB Sacks and i dont even know how many QB Hits and run plays he let get blown up. more than 50% of our teams sacks are directly responsible to ONE player. and Hue KEPT PLAYING HIM.... WHY?!? What sense does this make?!

The only logical thing i could think of was that we needed to put film of him out there so that we can trade him for anything this upcoming preseason.

From Free Agency to the end of the year firing to the new hires I firmly believe that the "Analytics" some people seem to argue against so vehemently has assumed MUCH MORE control this year. This Should enable Hue to focus on the one thing he should be focused on. Scoring Points and Running an offense. No lets resurrect RG's Career and show everyone how great of QB coach i am *derp*. No lets play Erving because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A CENTER IS DO. Hopefully less timeouts on the first play of half. Hopefully our Team gains some DISCIPLINE a trait that was sorely missed last year.

Long story short, Hopefully the Brain Trust has relieved Hue of some of his HC responsibility in order to facilitate more effective team management and Hide Hue's Weaknesses and exemplify his Strengths as a coach. While Also Leaning on Williams for team Discipline

Real mixed bag of a post, but I'll focus on one nugget...

"... i also believe Jackson has been relieved of alot of his player evaluation duties..."

I think that is quite possible. Would not be the first HC we've had since '99 that needed to stay with the X's and O's.

I'll add that he may also have been assisted in his 2nd round of Assistant Coach selections.

As for his HC duties being dispersed? I doubt it, but I still would like to see an OC hired just as a QB Coach was hired.

I wish we had a "like" button. Hue did some real head scratchers his first year. When he brought in Griffin a bunch of the peanut gallery (including me) went WTF is he thinking???? Unloading R Glass was addition by subtraction. It did get pointed out him benching Kessler in the Ravens game for a spark- sparked another loss. If we were "building for the future" it made zero sense to play a very washed up McCown- assuming Kessler wasn't in the concussion protocol.

None of us needed any more tape on Erving either, when the FO brought in a practice squad guy to play center and the results were dramatic immediate improvement. Too bad Reiter blew out his knee. Regarding Erving's trade value, it's not down to the "trade him for a six-pack, it doesn't have to be cold" yet- but I'd bet it's close. He could well be yet another massive Farmer bust.

Will it come down to the FO or Williams telling Hue- "look- this guy sucks, we have better options" ?

I'll bite on this middle part.

I think its pretty apparent Hue is a player's coach. Judging from his press conferences and interview responses, I think its also fair to say that Hue is a man who errs toward the side of "feelings" and "gut reactions".

It very well could be that 2016 was deemed a failure from jump street, with wins not factored into the performance metrics of Hue and the FO. Looking at it through that lens, a lot of Hue's decisions make a little more sense.

Signing RG3 was both a gut feeling acquisition as well as an analytical one. The money lined up and I'm sure Hue thought RG3 was a great reclamation project. It's a solid view from an analytical standpoint - he's a first round pick who's potential value is monumentally higher than his pricetag.

The choice to continue playing Erving was more analytical in nature than anything - Erving is a first-round asset who is costing us essentially nothing and, on paper, he is more talented than the rest of the options. His value would be extremely low, as teams don't trade their first round players a year in to their contracts. We would not have gotten a positive return from him, therefore his greatest value to us is on the field, potentially developing into the player he was picked to be. Benching him does nothing, trading him likely wouldn't yield a very favorable result.

The choice to support Erving is nothing more than a head coach not abandoning his players. It's exactly the type of person Hue is.

I don't know that I saw Kessler being an analytics pick, since it was Hue singing his praises and not Sashi. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the general consensus was the opposite - that Kessler was a Hue pick.

2016 was never about wins. Never. Getting upset that we used 2016 to evaluate the talent on our roster is like getting upset that your slutty ex-girlfriend cheated on you with your long-hogged neighbor - you should have seen it coming and you're mad that you didn't. Or...even worse...you saw it coming but chose not to believe it.

Source: ex-girlfriend was a ho, for sho.

Signing RG3 was both a gut feeling acquisition as well as an analytical one. The money lined up and I'm sure Hue thought RG3 was a great reclamation project. It's a solid view from an analytical standpoint - he's a first round pick who's potential value is monumentally higher than his pricetag.

The choice to continue playing Erving was more analytical in nature than anything - Erving is a first-round asset who is costing us essentially nothing and, on paper, he is more talented than the rest of the options. His value would be extremely low, as teams don't trade their first round players a year in to their contracts. We would not have gotten a positive return from him, therefore his greatest value to us is on the field, potentially developing into the player he was picked to be. Benching him does nothing, trading him likely wouldn't yield a very favorable result.

The choice to support Erving is nothing more than a head coach not abandoning his players. It's exactly the type of person Hue is.

I don't know that I saw Kessler being an analytics pick, since it was Hue singing his praises and not Sashi. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the general consensus was the opposite - that Kessler was a Hue pick.

I'll bite at bits of the bite... maybe that makes me a nibbler...

When you look at the used-QB alternatives, there weren't many that were more attractive... that had as much upside potential (ceiling)... than RG3. He'd been to the performance mountain top... he just couldn't stay there.

So Hue took a chance... built him up in public (another attribute of a players coach). Then he drilled "throw it away" and "slide" into RG until he was probably mumbling it in his sleep. And early it looked like it took root... until it did not.

Hue knew playing, staying on the field was challenge #1 for RG. If he could just get that down pat, then there was a chance other aspects of his QB play could improve as well. But in a moment of competitive ignorance, RG reverted and the experiment was over.

One other potential factor with Irving was how he did in practice and the OL room. I have a feeling that at up to 3/4 speed in the former and any speed in the latter, he looked OK to good... good enough anyway in the eyes of his Players Coach/Teacher to tease his way through most of the season. He simply lacked an ability to take it onto the field. Something many of us here and Pet saw and admitted to ourselves long before Hue was able to.

I'll bite on this middle part.

I think its pretty apparent Hue is a player's coach. Judging from his press conferences and interview responses, I think its also fair to say that Hue is a man who errs toward the side of "feelings" and "gut reactions".

It very well could be that 2016 was deemed a failure from jump street, with wins not factored into the performance metrics of Hue and the FO. Looking at it through that lens, a lot of Hue's decisions make a little more sense.

OK, I get the part now about being a "players coach". He had better get a good shot of Belichick in his system this year, or he's going to be looking for another job..... MHO. :)

I'll bite at bits of the bite... maybe that makes me a nibbler...

When you look at the used-QB alternatives, there weren't many that were more attractive... that had as much upside potential (ceiling)... than RG3. He'd been to the performance mountain top... he just couldn't stay there.

So Hue took a chance... built him up in public (another attribute of a players coach). Then he drilled "throw it away" and "slide" into RG until he was probably mumbling it in his sleep. And early it looked like it took root... until it did not.

Hue knew playing, staying on the field was challenge #1 for RG. If he could just get that down pat, then there was a chance other aspects of his QB play could improve as well. But in a moment of competitive ignorance, RG reverted and the experiment was over.

One other potential factor with Irving was how he did in practice and the OL room. I have a feeling that at up to 3/4 speed in the former and any speed in the latter, he looked OK to good... good enough anyway in the eyes of his Players Coach/Teacher to tease his way through most of the season. He simply lacked an ability to take it onto the field. Something many of us here and Pet saw and admitted to ourselves long before Hue was able to.

If you think about it....what is out there NOW in terms of "Used QBs". Are any of them any better than RG is? Cutler, maybe Chase Daniel, maybe Kaepernik?

Having BO here is perhaps a better option than all of them.

You've prosecuted the case against Hue. Got it. Unfortunately that just makes your statement that we can make the playoffs this year all the more baffling and looks like it's purely just emotional on your end.

If you think about it....what is out there NOW in terms of "Used QBs". Are any of them any better than RG is? THIS GUY-----Chase Daniel,

Having BO here is perhaps a better option than all of them. NO

If given the true opportunity with a chance to play over Wentz...Chase Daniels is your best on market, But better move quick cause Reid in KC likes him also. I like Chase even over AJ McCarron..

Archived