THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns trade for BROCK OSWEILER

LondonBrown

So we just paid $16 million for a 2nd round pick.

I don't know if that's a good deal or not.

Not really.

His contract has offset language, so if we cut him and another team signs him, we are only on the hook for a portion of that $16 million. If we trade him, we are on the hook for none of it.

The only way we paid $16 million is if he stays on the roster. The only way he stays on the roster is if we believe he's a franchise QB who just was in a bad fit in Houston. So then we're really paying $16 million for a franchise QB with experience.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he's better than RG3 at least there's that AND we have the ammo to trade up for Trubisky after taking Garrett. No loss in this at all.... What a good day from the browns AND we should atleast keep in mind that even though it is a longshot what if he actually is good here?

I think a trade up to get Trubisky along with Garrett could be in the cards since Hue loves him another QB apparently. Those two prior love affairs haven't worked out so well. Three's a charm?

Depends on what we do with the pick.

We've pretty much got the market on backup QB's cornered.

Well thats sort of what if asking.... If another team contacted the Browns and said hey we want to sell you are 2nd round pick for $16 millon would they do it?

Pending no trade/release, are the Browns are on the hook for his full salary?

Just for 1 year..... Zero down side as we had to spend a certain amount anyway, and if we somehow keep him and he works out great, if not, we cut him next year and he has zero impact.

Man I've been telling everyone since the purge that Sashi and this FO are smart guys who are setting this team up for big things and you all just bitched and moaned about analytics and how you wanted "football guys" and not Harvard guys. Well this is what Harvard guys brought you: Coaches Jackson and Williams, Zeitler, Tretter, Britt, Collins, and a shitload of draft picks.

NEWSFLASH! Being smart is GOOD! America used to celebrate that, not mock it. Here is intelligence in all its glory. Love it, embrace it, because it's going to end 18 seasons of sucking.

Just for 1 year..... Zero down side as we had to spend a certain amount anyway, and if we somehow keep him and he works out great, if not, we cut him next year and he has zero impact.

where was this punching bag last season :ph34r:

I like the trade and the overall thought process of it, but with that being said, it doesn't matter how many high draft picks we have if we don't hit on them..... So as much as I like what they did, it's only part of the deal and picking the player(s) is the money shot.

and with our draft history, I'll refrain from jumping up and down on the couch.

Well....gotta say...this whole trade is interesting, if nothing else....

There has to be more to the plan then just buying a 2nd......Interested to see how this plays out over the coming months....

With all our cash and the massive hole at QB, dont see any risk here....and lots of potential upside.....waiting for part II

... If another team contacted the Browns and said hey we want to sell you are 2nd round pick for $16 millon would they do it?

Who's money are we playing with?

or

How much do I have?

In fairness, we got a 6th this year and a guy that plays QB to go along with the 2nd.

If money is no object then I think we did well in the numbers game.

But what did we do for the QB position?

Does this preclude us from making any more QB maneuvers? Are we 'all set'? He's our starter?

If so, I'm not thrilled with that part of the deal...but hey, we would now go balls-to-the-wall to get him help to make him successful. And that includes defensive players to get him the ball back.

In fairness, we got a 6th this year and a guy that plays QB to go along with the 2nd.

heard about flipping comps but did we Get a 6th or Gave a 6th?

heard about flipping comps but did we Get a 6th or Gave a 6th?

The Browns received, Osweiler, a 2018 2nd Round Pick and 2017 6th Round pick for 2017 4th Round pick. Reports are 4th and 6th are comp picks

We essentially just moved some cap space to next year for a 2nd round pick, right?

Just got back from some wine class business I had to attend to- yeah, I'm an official College wine appreciation instructor. Years of boozing finally paid off. Now I swear I hadn't been drinking -much. When I first saw the thread title- my first thought was Hey, it's not April Fools day- yet. Houston should be thanking us to high heaven for taking Osweiler's fat contract (which many have said was the worst ever) off their hands. Puts them squarley in the Tony Romo sweepstakes.

We just bought a 2018 2nd round pick for $$16mil! Brilliant!! Keep him for 1 year and see if Hue can turn him around. Plus get to see Kessler for 1 more year of growth with our new,improved OL.

Or dump him. Adios, R Glass while we're at it. .

Forget paying $16m for the pick, and realise we'll either trade him (and then it becomes different) or, we cut RG3 and so we're only really worse off by $8.5m.

That oodles of cap room the Browns have will permit them to shop Brock at a reasonable price, if that's their goal to get even more picks next year. Though I doubt Osweiler has much in the way of trade value.

"The #Browns draft picks after the Osweiler trade:

2017: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6

2018: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7"

If it's dumpster dive for Darnold- those three second round picks give us plenty of ammunition. Or again, Four picks in the top 64 give the Browns enough flexibility to be a major player in 2018.

Word is that the Browns had made the trade for Osweiler, and in only ten minutes, they were hearing from

some other teams about the possibility of trading for him.

The Browns could eat his contract for this year, and trade him and a couple of second round picks for the guy they want.

Garroppolo. or......... Cousins, since he wants out of Washington. The Browns are maneuvering very smartly, thinking

"out of the box".

I don't think anybody saw this trade coming.

Browns already receiving trade calls about Brock Osweiler

The Cleveland Browns didn’t even have Brock Osweiler for 10 minutes before they started receiving trade calls on the quarterback.Cleveland acquired Osweiler from the Houston Texans on Thursday for a 2018 second-round pick and 2017 6th-round pick, though they are sending a 2017 4th-round pick to the Texans in return.There are mixed reports about the Browns’

It's brilliant because they have to reach the cap floor. Instead of forcing yourself into a contract you don't want for who knows how long, you get the FA you want this year and use that money next year on other guys you really want. Add in the second next year and everyone wins. I can't believe how smart this was!

Archived