THE BROWNS BOARD

nfldraftscout senior rankings

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Link

Personally, I have a hard time seeing Taylor Mays being the first senior taken next year. Eric Berry and Morgan Burnett are going to challenge him for the #1 safety spot, and only he will face the type of scrutiny a senior prospect who's the biggest name on his defense receives. With all the name linebackers gone, Mays will likely be more of a factor in the run game this year, but he'll also need to show that he can be a playmaker in the secondary.

His athleticism should forestall any slide past the late teens, but I'm not sure he'll be a top ten pick next year.

Well I know one thing and that is there is way too much talk about Taylor Mays right now and people worried about the Browns drafting him. This is when the draftnik thing goes too far.

We'll find out where Mays is taken during next years draft.

LOL, I still remember when Quinn was drafted and guys had freaking Brian Brohm and Booty sig lines for the next year's draft.

Guest Aloysius

Quarterback's probably the most volatile position when it comes to draft stock. A year ago, people were talking about Curtis Painter and Cullen Harper as possible 1st round picks; Painter ended up going in the 6th round and Harper didn't get drafted.

The funny thing is that Brohm probably was overdrafted in the late 2nd. So far, he's been outplayed by 7th rounder Matt Flynn. And if the Vikings bring in Favre, Booty could end up getting cut.

The Booty thing absolutely confounded me. I didn't even see an NFL QB to be honest. Flynn surprised me too, cuz I had him pegged as more of a gamer, savvy type with maybe not the arm needed, but so far he has shown out over Booty.

Here's a question: Who is the best QB to play in the NFL with three names?

I have not got a clue. Maybe one of the Billy Joe's?

And speaking of draft droppers, two Buckeyes fell in Jenkins and moreso with JL. Rey's stock obviously went down too. Sometimes I think the extra year gives people more time to tear your game and character down.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks about right for now..unless he gets hurt, Tebow will be a top 10 pick in next years draft.

Once teams start watching tape on these guys, attend personal workouts, and start the interviews, Tebow's stock goes WAY up....maybe top 5, though I admit that might be a bit homer.

I think Gruden does his MNF gig this year, then lands a NFL job and takes Tebow with his first selection. Gruden is bold enough to take his system and infuse components of the spread.

Gruden likes tough football players, and Tim Tebow is as tough as they come.

Tebow would have won the Heisman LAST year had a bunch of the western schools not boycotted the guy and not voted for him at all.

To say he wasn't a 3rd place finisher is a joke and renders that voter as a complete joke.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

I'm looking forward to watching more of him next year. Both of the Browns' starting safeties are free agents after this season, and I have a feeling that Mangini will end up replacing at least one of them.

Good point on the safeties.

The only good from a poor season is we have Berry....but it will have to be a real bad season because I could see him going between 3 and 5.

Berry is like a faster Ed Reed with better ball skills.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius
The only good from a poor season is we have Berry....but it will have to be a real bad season because I could see him going between 3 and 5.

Berry is like a faster Ed Reed with better ball skills.

Yep, he's good.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Alabama game, and I remember thinking that if Berry got hurt running a screen pass or QB draw, Fulmer wouldn't have to worry about being fired, he'd have to worry about not getting killed on his way out of the stadium. I thought (and still think) it was crazy to use him in some of the ways they did.

Three things really impress me about Berry. First, his reflexes--he gets a lot of fumble recoveries and interceptions off of deflections, and when you watch him, there's no hesitation when the ball pops out or up; he's on it while everyone else is still standing around. Second, his vision--when he gets a pick, he returns it like it's a punt; he sets up blocks, finds the seam in the "coverage," etc. Third, he has great body control; once he gets the ball, you have to make sure that he's on the ground or out of bounds, because otherwise he'll find a way to bounce back up and keep running.

There are a bunch of YouTube videos out there, but I won't be too much of a homer. Here's a nice pick and runback against Georgia, with an added stick on Knowshon Moreno:

Dennis

Guest Aloysius

Yep, he's special: ballhawks like Ed Reed but plays as big as Kerry Rhodes. When I first looked up his H/W, I was shocked to discover he's only 5'11", 195 lbs.

Seems like a good kid as well. I hear he's interning this summer at a dentist's office.

He'll be the best safety in next year's draft, but he won't be the only good one. Mays isn't as good as his hype would indicate, but he's a very good player with tremendous upside. Major Wright would be a nice replacement for Brodney Pool, should he decide to leave Florida early. And there are a couple other guys with 1st round potential.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Wes Bunting from the National Football Post has an interesting dissenting view on Darrell Stuckey:

Darrell Stuckey: No. 25, SS, 5-11, 205

A well-built athlete who exhibits good run/pass recognition and showcases a quick first step when attacking downhill. Is patient when asked to string out plays on the outside and uses the sideline well as an extra defender. Is always trying to force turnovers and demonstrates a violent tomahawk chop from behind in pursuit. However, he doesn’t exhibit ideal technique as a tackler and struggles getting into the body of ball carriers. Lacks ideal body control when closing on a play and doesn’t consistently take proper angles toward the ball. Struggles when asked to take on blocks inside the box and is easily washed out of plays.

Is a bit long legged initially out of his drop, but eventually gets his feet under him and can cleanly redirect out of his breaks. Showcases good short-area quickness in coverage and has the ability to quickly close on plays laterally. Is an instinctive safety who consistently gets good jumps on the football in coverage and possesses the ball skills to create turnovers in the secondary. However, he struggles flipping his hips when asked to turn and run down the field and doesn’t possess much of a second gear to his game.

Impression: Is an instinctive defender with a nose for the ball, but struggles breaking down in space and isn’t overly rangy vs. the pass. I know he put up some big numbers at Kansas last season, but I think he’s a bit overrated because of the weak strong safety class. Looks no more than a possible “dirty starter” at the next level.

No doubt it's a minority view, but I like having list of bad things to look for when examining a guy's game. Either you call bullshit or you call Maualuga see what the other guy saw.

Hopefully, it'll be the former when it comes to Stuckey.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Eric Norwood played very well last night: 8 tackles, 2 sacks, and a pressure on the 4th & long play that decided the game.

He did have some trouble slipping blocks early in the game, and his two sacks came against NC State's normal starting left guard, who was filling in at left tackle. But he was his usual explosive-but-under control self, looking like a nice potential 3-4 OLB and/or ILB. 3-4 teams are going to really like him in April.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that Willie Young fits in a 3-4. He's good at using his length to disrupt passing lanes and appears to have gotten better at shedding blocks, but I didn't think he looked all that fluid dropping into coverage. His lean, leggy build reminds me of Jarvis Moss and Shawn Crable, two guys who seem to lack true NFL positions.

He made some plays last night, but I'm not sure how/where he does it at the next level.

Archived