THE BROWNS BOARD

Kamp Kizer

Zombo

So my theory is correct? ;)

Yeah, probably. I wasn't disagreeing with that, only pointing out that college PA is not necessarily the same as NFL PA and that this stat is interesting but not necessarily indicative of anything. I'm sure RG3 and Cam Newton had a similar split.

All that said, I still love Kizer's potential, and not just athletically. He has the mentality and demeanor of an NFL QB. Add to that his intelligence, work ethic and physical ability and I think that he's a contender for "grooming franchise QB project" in the late first, early second.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, probably. I wasn't disagreeing with that, only pointing out that college PA is not necessarily the same as NFL PA and that this stat is interesting but not necessarily indicative of anything. I'm sure RG3 and Cam Newton had a similar split.

All that said, I still love Kizer's potential, and not just athletically. He has the mentality and demeanor of an NFL QB. Add to that his intelligence, work ethic and physical ability and I think that he's a contender for "grooming franchise QB project" in the late first, early second.

lol... well if you can fix that delivery, I'll join you...

lol... well if you can fix that delivery, I'll join you...

His delivery doesn't bother me. Too much is hung up on guys being perfect throwers when really it doesn't matter. Philip Rivers is one of the ugliest passers around.

What matters most is getting the ball where you need to. That comes with intelligence, comfort and confidence more than it does a high elbow, pointed toe and released hips.

If you can read a defense, process information on the fly and make a decision, you can make up for a quarter-second longer delivery.

It's 100% about scheme fit. Kizer's best fit is likely to be in a heavy PA scheme.

Andrew Luck isn't technically sound. He's not horrible, but he makes his awkward motion, weird grip and semi-floating back leg work for him. RG3 was considered to have a superior release by a couple scouts and analysts, including Greg Cosell. But Luck was put into an offense that featured heavy play-action, longer developing routes and extending plays a la Roethlisberger. Which one is on a team right now?

I'm fairly sure Luck has been near the bottom of the league his entire career in release time, despite the fact that he's not fundamentally horrid nor is he a slow thinker. He's just in an offense that is longer developing and not as much a timing based, quick fire offense.

Put Kizer in a McDaniels offense, probably doesn't do extremely well. Put Kizer in an Arians offense, now we're talking.

The question is...what offense will we be running? My money is on the latter.

His delivery doesn't bother me. Too much is hung up on guys being perfect throwers when really it doesn't matter. Philip Rivers is one of the ugliest passers around.

Should have been more precise... Fix his release... way too long, too slow. That was my whole PA argument... and that he wasted the time it buys him.

Rivers' by contrast is about as quick as you'll find. True... it's fugly, but it's quick...

Esthetics be damned... but need that quick release.

Should have been more precise... Fix his release... way too long, too slow. That was my whole PA argument... and that he wasted the time it buys him.

Rivers' by contrast is about as quick as you'll find. True... it's fugly, but it's quick...

Esthetics be damned... but need that quick release.

Watched Kizer's pro day Tour- saw the same thing you have.... And the windup, and the ppppppiiiiiiitttttcccchhhhhh. Sllllllloooooowwwwww. Mitch unloads the ball way faster.

Mitch does unload the ball much quicker. He has a VERY quick release and I love it. Kizer reminds me a LITTLE bit of Weeden in that he's definitely got the arm, but he holds onto the ball. He's obviously WAY more athletic, but I worry about people falling in love with Kizer because he "looks the part". I mean, the guy looks like he was built at a QB factory.

Mitch unloads the ball way faster.

But can he throw a spiral? Man, he threw a ton of wobblers... seemed to be aiming everything...

Mitch does unload the ball much quicker. He has a VERY quick release and I love it. Kizer reminds me a LITTLE bit of Weeden in that he's definitely got the arm, but he holds onto the ball. He's obviously WAY more athletic, but I worry about people falling in love with Kizer because he "looks the part". I mean, the guy looks like he was built at a QB factory.

Kizer should be drafted in like the 2d round by one of the teams that has an older QB so that he could develop. From everything I have heard he needs more time than the other 2 QBs. (yes, even more than the "inexperienced Trubisky"). Maybe the Saints, Cards, Chargers, Chiefs, Packers, Giants, even Steelers.

Kizer should be drafted in like the 2d round by one of the teams that has an older QB so that he could develop. From everything I have heard he needs more time than the other 2 QBs. (yes, even more than the "inexperienced Trubisky"). Maybe the Saints, Cards, Chargers, Chiefs, Packers, Giants, even Steelers.

Kizer is almost as inexperienced as Trubisky.

In less than 5 weeks none of these QB threads will matter, as we will have skipped them right on by faster than a school girl playing Hopscotch.

But that is rarely mentioned as it is with MT.

12 more games Gip. Got pulled out of at least one. I'm not much interested in him. If we want a project, I'll take Mahomes instead.

12 more games Gip. Got pulled out of at least one. I'm not much interested in him. If we want a project, I'll take Mahomes instead.

Actually, Mitch played in more games than Kizer...Kizer just has more starts. Kizer has only thrown 120 more passes than Trubisky....which is only about 3-4 full games more of experience. They're both inexperienced.

What's interesting to me is that you're qualifying Mahomes as a project...yet he has thrown more passes (1349) than Trubisky (572), Kizer (695) and Watson (1,207). He's actually the most experienced QB in the draft...and also the QB with the worst mechanics.

To me, that doesn't make him a project at all. That just makes him a bad prospect with a big arm.

That just makes him a bad prospect with a big arm.

This will forever be known as "a Weeden" from this day forth.....

Not a "Wheezy"? :(

I can't T, whenever I hear Wheezy, I think of The Jeffersons, and I actually liked her so I can't conjoin the two in my head.....

Actually, Mitch played in more games than Kizer...Kizer just has more starts. Kizer has only thrown 120 more passes than Trubisky....which is only about 3-4 full games more of experience. They're both inexperienced.

What's interesting to me is that you're qualifying Mahomes as a project...yet he has thrown more passes (1349) than Trubisky (572), Kizer (695) and Watson (1,207). He's actually the most experienced QB in the draft...and also the QB with the worst mechanics.

To me, that doesn't make him a project at all. That just makes him a bad prospect with a big arm.

FWIW, I'm not super keen on Mahomes either- if they were both on the board, I'd pick him before Kizer though. :) I think my initial comment way back was "a bigger version of Manziel with a better arm, and none of the off field issues." Also duly noted his mechanics are a mess. Yup, he's got a Wee-Done arm, and could have gone the baseball route with a 95 mph fastball.

In less than 5 weeks none of these QB threads will matter, as we will have skipped them right on by faster than a school girl playing Hopscotch.

Phew!!!!

While we're at it, how the Hail did I get to ranking Trubisky #1 at the QB position?

If I break the pronunciation of his name down, the prefix "Trub" sounds like he's half trouble while the rest of his name "isky" sounds like he's half Whiskey.

Now I know why Ghoolie loves the kid!

Phew!!!!

While we're at it, how the Hail did I get to ranking Trubisky #1 at the QB position?

If I break the pronunciation of his name down, the prefix "Trub" sounds like he's half trouble while the rest of his name "isky" sounds like he's half Whiskey.

Actually Trub is a byproduct of the brewing process.

So....

WSS

Phew!!!!

Or, maybe Ghoolie likes him because in there you get the word: rube

Sorry, but I can't give equal weight to mop up duty experience coming off the bench.

• 4 weeks later...

So ... the "NFL sources" have put out the word that the Patriots are not trading the guy I have wanted all along ... Jimmy Garappolo ... and it could be a smokescreen, a gimmick to up the ante, and all that ... but let's just say the Browns don't acquire a starting QB in free agency or trade ... who's your draft guy?

Mine is DeShone Kizer. Perfect size, excellent mobility, big arm, throws a beautiful deep ball.

THIS is a guy that Hugh Jackson can turn into a stud.

If we go draft, do we keep RG3 around for another year, or do we cut bait and go totally inexperienced with Kessler and Kizer? Not sure, as I am not an RG3 fan. I think I'd rather start the season Kessler, Kizer, veteran third string dude and get rid of RG3.

So how do we get him? You take Garrett #1. Then you gotta read the tea leaves ... if he's going to be there at #12 then wait and pounce, if you think he's gone earlier ... Trade up.

90% of you are going to hate this, especially the last part, but I truly believe he is the best QB prospect in the draft, and if we settle for less than best, we're not doing it right.

Zombo

What's up Motherfuckers?

Zombo

He a Brown gotta support him til he turns Weeden on us

Well, Notre Dame's program was a mess last year . . .

QB search is definitely not over, the FQB is likely in next year's Draft.

Fair value at this pick, after all, Russell Wilson was a 3rd Rounder . . . let's see what he can do given some time and stability.

Zombo, you may have nailed this - worse case I hope he's a good Backup.

Archived