Sign in to follow this  
Zombo

Kamp Kizer

Okay, I'll ask.

Why in the actual hell is my golf game regressing?

Ha- depends on how much you're playing- or practicing. You might have picked up a glitch you're not aware of. And regardless of how good you are, eventually you reach a point where more practice will not improve your game. And when you get to that point, if you slack off, you regress. See below- hitting tennis balls for 8 hours instead of 3-4 was never going to get me good enough to play the game as a pro. Probably obvious on the elite football level, Cody Kessler can work out in the weight room all day, and throw for an hour, but he's never going to be able to toss the rock like John Elway.

I'll give you a comparison to what Tour is talking about. Used to play golf- badly. I played competitive tennis for several years- earned a couple college letters. To my mind serving a tennis ball and teeing off with a driver, though they involve different muscle groups are the same in that they're repetitive learned motions. Like throwing a football.

Difference is in tennis and golf- there's not as much of a time constraint in your windup or backswing as there is in throwing a football. 10ths of a second do matter on the NFL pro level. And once you get yourself "locked in" with something that feels comfortable- it's mighty hard to change.

wow yep he's pretty big wish he could play QB

Coming from the guy who likes Davis "weeden jr." Webb

What's his name, my college knowledge is somewhat limited...

Okay, I'll ask.

Why in the actual hell is my golf game regressing?

Just take up racquetball where you can have a terrible mishit that wraps around and rolls out making you look brilliant. Plus it never drops in a lake or the woods. Problem solved. :lol:

Yeah ... Whatever amuses you people.

I have you speaking geek to me, I have Ghoolie penning love songs to me ... it's still almost two months to the draft.

Soooo ... let's just go ahead and see if TCPO's boss is watching:

Here's three chicks and a monkey copping a feel:

monkey-with-three-hot-girls-in-bikinis-o

Monkey see, monkey do. I like the cut of your jib.

Of course, I could do more geek poking of you and ask of you: Is that Caesar?

Thank you, Rooster Dick.

He does not have a bad arm, it is well known that he's got a strong arm.

Bad decision-making? Maybe, probably. That's a lot of young QBs. They don't look like Tom Brady when they are 20. Lord knows Tom Brady didn't. But lots to work with here.

Zombo

Didn't we have a strong armed QB with bad decision making once before?

Weeden-face_20131014053844_320_240.JPG

Strong arms and dim wits rarely make for a winning QB.

Okay, I'll ask. Why in the actual hell is my golf game regressing?

Is your body changing? Are you adding/losing muscle mass? Adding/losing body fat? In the upper torso/chest area? Arms vs. legs?

Any injury? Muscle? Joint? Even one you've "recovered from?"

If yes, consult: https://www.amazon.com/Exercises-Better-Golf-Researched-Centinela/dp/B0027BFDES

It's the best book I know of on the golf body.

If no, find a good teaching pro.

Difference is in tennis and golf- there's not as much of a time constraint in your windup or backswing as there is in throwing a football. 10ths of a second do matter on the NFL pro level. And once you get yourself "locked in" with something that feels comfortable- it's mighty hard to change.

I remember hearing during a Wimbleton, mens-finals broadcast years ago, Ivan Lendl years ago, that from a kinesiology standpoint the most incompatible sport with golf is tennis. Ivan was an avid golfer.

Is your body changing? Are you adding/losing muscle mass? Adding/losing body fat? In the upper torso/chest area? Arms vs. legs?

Any injury? Muscle? Joint? Even one you've "recovered from?"

If yes, consult: https://www.amazon.com/Exercises-Better-Golf-Researched-Centinela/dp/B0027BFDES

It's the best book I know of on the golf body.

If no, find a good teaching pro.

I remember hearing during a Wimbleton, mens-finals broadcast years ago, Ivan Lendl years ago, that from a kinesiology standpoint the most incompatible sport with golf is tennis. Ivan was an avid golfer.

Losing weight and mass, I guess.

I've dropped about 8 strokes over the past month and a half. It's pretty awful. Granted, that's only going from low 80's to high 80's but it's still annoying.

I've dropped about 8 strokes over the past month and a half. It's pretty awful. Granted, that's only going from low 80's to high 80's but it's still annoying.

There ya go... Seriously, check out the "30 Exercises..." book: https://www.amazon.c...a/dp/B0027BFDES

It's all about flexibility and golf-functional strength. It's one of the three indispensable golf books on my shelf alongside the classic Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and Toski-Flick's How to Become a Complete Golfer.

One last question/thought... Anything aching after a round or a day or two after? Muscle or joint... big or barely noticeable... can provide a clue about what has changed. It's a feedback mechanism for positive changes as well.

There ya go... Seriously, check out the "30 Exercises..." book: https://www.amazon.c...a/dp/B0027BFDES

It's all about flexibility and golf-functional strength. It's one of the three indispensable golf books on my shelf alongside the classic Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and Toski-Flick's How to Become a Complete Golfer.

One last question/thought... Anything aching after a round or a day or two after? Muscle or joint... big or barely noticeable... can provide a clue about what has changed. It's a feedback mechanism for positive changes as well.

Maybe this thread should go to the Barber Shop if you all are going to talk golf swings.

It's why I quit golf for good- years ago. Too frustrating, yeah- I'm the guy who would wrap steel shaft clubs around trees. Hit a nice drive with my putter once I was so POed. You break 100, you want to break 90. Break 90 you want to break 80. Break 80 you start thinking par. Moi? Usually shooting well on the high side of 100, went out for a quick 9 with my pal- who could spot me a stroke a hole and still beat me. Hit the first two par fours in regulation, and was even after three. Ended up shooting a 39. Got back to the car, tossed my clubs in the trunk and told Don- "that's it, I quit, I'm going out on top" Meant it too. I've only hit golf balls twice since then- and that was 40 years ago.

Maybe this thread should go to the Barber Shop if you all are going to talk golf swings.

Hey- Kizer is only slightly more relevant than golf swings. Maybe the monkey with the babes should be moved to the Cheerleader thread. :)

To be honest, I've been tweaking my swing recently so that's where it's likely coming from.

I'm still relatively new to the game (about 1- 1.5 years of semi-consistent playing) and I'm a long baller who's trying to hem it in a bit. I'll average 320+ with my driver in any given round.... but also around 50% fairways hit on most days. I've been working on shortening my backswing and changing my tempo, I have a habit of going past parallel and breaking my wrist at the top of my backswing, which apparently is a no-no.

As for the aching...everything is aching all the time. I'm trying this new fangled "jogging" thing and my entire body is in a constant state of misery. They tell me that's natural.

To be honest, I've been tweaking my swing recently so that's where it's likely coming from.

I'm still relatively new to the game (about 1- 1.5 years of semi-consistent playing) and I'm a long baller who's trying to hem it in a bit. I'll average 320+ with my driver in any given round.... but also around 50% fairways hit on most days. I've been working on shortening my backswing and changing my tempo, I have a habit of going past parallel and breaking my wrist at the top of my backswing, which apparently is a no-no.

As for the aching...everything is aching all the time. I'm trying this new fangled "jogging" thing and my entire body is in a constant state of misery. They tell me that's natural.

The biggest great change I ever made playing golf is when I finally let the club do the work. Assuming you got a good set of clubs, nowadays those mofos make it all about form and consistency. Once I realized it was better to hit 245 straight cheddar and trust the club as opposed to 275 in the rough made golf so much better for me.

Granted, I still hate the game though but I get sucked in living in FL a fair amount of times. I just can't stand how douchey 90% of the people who play are.

lol... fuck heel-first jogging... get back to running on the balls of your feet. Your knees will thank you...

I had/have the exact same issue with swing length and breaking down at the top. "Short and sweet" is the only swing thought I take to the 1st tee with me.

Spend range time hitting nothing but 3/4-punch shots. You'll be amazed at two things:

- how much more control you achieve without sacrificing much distance; and

- how as you warm up your swing gets longer without you realizing it.

For detecting the latter a friend or a smart-phone are needed.

But best advice for a still new to the game player... find a good pro.

Didn't we have a strong armed QB with bad decision making once before?

Weeden-face_20131014053844_320_240.JPG

Strong arms and dim wits rarely make for a winning QB.

We don't want a dim-witted QB of any arm strength. No one does. Ever.

What makes you think Kizer is dim-witted?

You take a look at every successful QB in the NFL, and tell me if they were making a good deal of poor decisions on the field when they were 20.

This guys has all the raw material just needs some top coaching,

The Weeden comparison only makes you look bad. Weeden was almost a decade older and looked so stupid that you didn't need a test to find out.

weeden-262x300.jpgDeShone-Kizer-and-Lexi-Galernik.jpg

lol... fuck heel-first jogging... get back to running on the balls of your feet. Your knees will thank you...

I had/have the exact same issue with swing length and breaking down at the top. "Short and sweet" is the only swing thought I take to the 1st tee with me.

Spend range time hitting nothing but 3/4-punch shots. You'll be amazed at two things:

- how much more control you achieve without sacrificing much distance; and

- how as you warm up your swing gets longer without you realizing it.

For detecting the latter a friend or a smart-phone are needed.

But best advice for a still new to the game player... find a good pro.

I'll keep that in mind. Probably hit the range tonight. Best (or worst) thing I ever did was move to a place that has a nice range a mile from my front door.

I figure I'll plateau here shortly, then it may be time to start looking to some paid help. As of right now, it's just an expensive habit that makes me hate myself for five hours a day every weekend.

So ... the "NFL sources" have put out the word that the Patriots are not trading the guy I have wanted all along ... Jimmy Garappolo ... and it could be a smokescreen, a gimmick to up the ante, and all that ... but let's just say the Browns don't acquire a starting QB in free agency or trade ... who's your draft guy?

Mine is DeShone Kizer. Perfect size, excellent mobility, big arm, throws a beautiful deep ball.

THIS is a guy that Hugh Jackson can turn into a stud.

If we go draft, do we keep RG3 around for another year, or do we cut bait and go totally inexperienced with Kessler and Kizer? Not sure, as I am not an RG3 fan. I think I'd rather start the season Kessler, Kizer, veteran third string dude and get rid of RG3.

So how do we get him? You take Garrett #1. Then you gotta read the tea leaves ... if he's going to be there at #12 then wait and pounce, if you think he's gone earlier ... Trade up.

90% of you are going to hate this, especially the last part, but I truly believe he is the best QB prospect in the draft, and if we settle for less than best, we're not doing it right.

Zombo

Great post Zombo! I totally agree about Garappolo and your point about taking Garrett at #1 and reading the tea leaves about #12.

I also thoroughly enjoyed your defense of this black QB later in this thread. Yeah, all of a sudden, there can never be another Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Russell Wilson or Daunte Culpepper - just RG4... Along the same line, ND can never have another Joe Montana - only Brady Quinn (who was hailed as "pro ready" and much more "pro ready than Montana was once upon a time")

I'm not a big fan of any of the QBs in round 1 in this draft class. Our unfortunate QB situation has no bearing on how good these guys are today or what they project moving forward. That being said, Whitehurst, McCown, Kessler couldn't survive starts (and more than once in some cases). Having 2 first year starters at WR didn't help our situation. I think it's time we aim to make this an easier place to play QB in a year many think there aren't any true first round prospects (beyond a disappointing supply for a big demand creating some beneficiaries).

People complain about overthinking - drafting a "he might be good in 2-3 years" with a 1st and and/or 12th pick overall does just that IMO. If Chicago ends up with Jimmy the Greek - I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back a vet like Hoyer to work with whatever QB we take after round 1. He got us off to a 7-4 start in 2014 and he had one of the best winning percentages we saw from a QB here on this side of 1999. Canton Mike told me Derron Cherry mentioned this on the radio so I gotta give him credit for that line of thought. I don't see a gigantic difference between taking Davis Webb and any of the guys that go in round 1 except that he's a much lower risk than a QB at #1 or #12 overall.

We are more than likely taking a round 1 QB.

And all of you boner hogs are gonna love it.

Dom gummit! That 2nd line just sent a mouth full of hot coffee right through my nostrils Professor Couch...

DeShone-Kizer-and-Lexi-Galernik.jpg

First glance... I thought that was Sashi.