Sign in to follow this  
mjp28

NJ's Boneless or Country Style Ribs with Sauerkraut

NJ's Boneless or Country Style Ribs with Sauerkraut

Different people like sauerkraut different ways but whether it's from a can or bag we like to drain the juices and rinse under cold water and squeeze dry. Use sauerkraut with or without caraway seeds.

The same recipe for the sauerkraut can be used with pork, keilbassi or brats but adjust your cooking time. The sauerkraut is great leftover with hot dogs, I like them with yellow mustard and Tabasco.

BONELESS RIBS WITH SAUERKRAUT

2 lbs. boneless ribs

1 or 2 large onions chopped up and browned in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Black pepper 1/2 tsp, salt to taste

Sage, parsley, thyme dried, sprinkle of each

Sprinkle of paprika

Garlic powder 1/4 tsp

A few pats of butter to sauerkraut

Brown ribs in skillet or dutch oven with about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, remove to plate

Brown onions in extra virgin olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter and add above dry ingredients

One large can of sauerkraut (more if desired for leftovers ), drain and rinse in water, squeeze dry

Add sauerkraut and herbs, cook until all combined well, add to ribs put oven at 350° for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until done juicy

Add about 1 cup of water while cooking

COUNTRY STYLE BONE IN RIBS WITH SAUERKRAUT

Same as above recipe, use 6 to 8 bone in ribs

Layer in ribs and saurkraut in Dutch oven

Cover pot, cook 2 hours or until tender

• Upvote 1

A few notes my wife grows her own herbs generally 12-14 different types which we have fresh during the growing season and she dries them and gives TONS away in the fall and winter.

It's best to experiment with your herbs to get the taste you like.....plus they are expensive in jars in the stores now!

Another note she never used any recipes for saurkraut dishes and threw that one down on a scratch pad (I copied it), we also have a huge cookbook collection going way back to her grandmother, nice hobby. :)

A few notes my wife grows her own herbs generally 12-14 different types which we have fresh during the growing season and she dries them and gives TONS away in the fall and winter.

It's best to experiment with your herbs to get the taste you like.....plus they are expensive in jars in the stores now!

Another note she never used any recipes for saurkraut dishes and threw that one down on a scratch pad (I copied it), we also have a huge cookbook collection going way back to her grandmother, nice hobby. :)

Is your wife Polish by chance?

Kapoosta is pork, kraut and potatoes like stew.

Is your wife Polish by chance?

Kapoosta is pork, kraut and potatoes like stew.

Ukrainian (mom) Hungarian (dad), I'm Ukrainian on my dad's side waaay back.

Ukrainian (mom) Hungarian (dad), I'm Ukrainian on my dad's side waaay back.

Lots of the same food.

Stuffed cabbage?

Potvicha?

Perogies?

I was through Cleveland and noticed a lot of perogie places. Wish I had that time to stop at a few.

Lots of the same food.

Stuffed cabbage?

Potvicha?

Perogies?

I was through Cleveland and noticed a lot of perogie places. Wish I had that time to stop at a few.

Oh yes Slavic and basically Hunkie Heaven especially back in the 1950, 60, 70s for me. My godparents lived in Parma...now Fla if any oldies are left.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes Slavic and basically Hunkie Heaven especially back in the 1950, 60, 70s for me. My godparents lived in Parma...now Fla if any oldies are left.

If youre ever in Chicago there is a great Polish store called Bobecks.

They have everything. 20 kinds of kielbasa.

Oh I loved to go to Chicago especially on business or seminars fabulous food.....but don't travel much now. But hey natural gas grill in backyard!

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not I remembered something about that name, my sister-in-law lives nearby well I checked it out, due to family squabbling it's now closed.

NOW CLOSED”

4 of 5 bubblesReviewed April 22, 2015

Having been a customer for several years and a patron of their restaurant before it closed, I was saddened to hear that the entire stoe is now closed as of April4, 2015. We really enjoyed going there.

Visited March 2015

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g35805-d430286-r335069823-Bobak_s_Restaurant_and_Sausage_Company-Chicago_Illinois.html#

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not I remembered something about that name, my sister-in-law lives nearby well I checked it out, due to family squabbling it's now closed.

NOW CLOSED”

4 of 5 bubblesReviewed April 22, 2015

Having been a customer for several years and a patron of their restaurant before it closed, I was saddened to hear that the entire stoe is now closed as of April4, 2015. We really enjoyed going there.

Visited March 2015

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g35805-d430286-r335069823-Bobak_s_Restaurant_and_Sausage_Company-Chicago_Illinois.html#

A real shame.

You know those stubborn slaviks?

There is another Polish restaurant in Pittsburgh thats much smaller and good down on the strip. You just have to hold your nose being around the locals.

Oh I loved to go to Chicago especially on business or seminars fabulous food.....but don't travel much now. But hey natural gas grill in backyard!

No charcoal?

No charcoal?

Oh I started young as boy scout and wood then as a charcoal purist, charcoal or nothing! Well got tired of that and went LP after years of that and running out twice during holiday get togethers I went to nat gas and never looked back.

We get good ceramic briquettes clean or replace as necessary fire up and go, 12 months a year.

I've been teaching the wife all my cookout tricks now she's good at it.

• Upvote 1

Oh I started young as boy scout and wood then a a charcoal purist, charcoal or nothing! Well got tired of that and went LP after years of that and running out twice during holiday get togethers I went to nat gas and never looked back.

We get good ceramic briquettes clean or replace as necessary fire up and go, 12 months a year.

I've been teaching the wife all my cookout tricks now she's good at it.

Nice. youre a serious griller.

I have a propane gas grill that I use if I dont have time to build a fire. You have to watch it. BBQ chicken will catch the whole grill on fire.

Mostly I use charcoal because it doesnt flame up as bad and smokes like crazy. Lowes and Home Depot have charcoal on sale in the spring 2 - 18 lb bags for about $ 10.00.

On grills get the biggest surface you can fit in your setup to have room to move things around. We have a good size 3 burner nat gas with a big high dome, thermometer in the hood, upper and lower rack and side pullout flat shelves. You want plenty of room to move food around as necessary.

It can handle a rotisserie BUT you still have to watch flare ups or out and out fires so we never put it in, basically cook on the flat surface. There are also plenty of accessories on the market.

Bought it from a reputable dealer Youngstown Propane and they installed it for $25.

Our first small nat gas grill we literally burned it out in no time.

• Upvote 1

Oh talking with my wife on the kraut again, some people put brown sugar in it, some apples (why?) and others some other things like ketchup.....really?

I'm more on the traditional side with mine but I like my onions, cooked down of course, but no caraway seeds.

Now on pork roast and sauerkraut potatoes, carrots, onions are all good. :)

• Upvote 1

Oh talking with my wife on the kraut again, some people put brown sugar in it, some apples (why?) and other some other things like ketchup.....really?

I'm more on the traditional side with mine but I like my onions, cooked down of course, but no caraway seeds.

Now on pork roast and sauerkraut potatoes, carrots, onions are all good. :)

Some people make blueberry perogies.

We only had cabbage and cheese.

On grills get the biggest surface you can fit in your setup to have room to move things around. We have a good size 3 burner nat gas with a big high dome, thermometer in the hood, upper and lower rack and side pullout flat shelves. You want plenty of room to move food around as necessary.

It can handle a rotisserie BUT you still have to watch flare ups or out and out fires so we never put it in, basically cook on the flat surface. There are also plenty of accessories on the market.

Bought it from a reputable dealer Youngstown Propane and they installed it for $25.

Our first small nat gas grill we literally burned it out in no time.

Sounds like one of those Kamado dragon grilles only with gas.

Sounds like one of those Kamado dragon grilles only with gas.

What we did was look for the cheapest grill in the top of the line grills....well when they brought it it wasn't what we ordered, I'll bet they ran out of that model and we got upgraded....nice!

We've also done business with them before like our nat gas fireplace logs, later got the electric auto start upgrade.

I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

We've used wood chips and other things but most of the grill taste comes from the dripping reburning back up on the meat or veggies.

But most pro grillers use wood or charcoal.

There is something about having a fire and drinking a beer.

I like a whole chicken smoking the neighborhood all up. Sometimes I will beer can it. Ive have added mesquite for smoke too. Chicken came out sweet.

What we did was look for the cheapest grill in the top of the line grills....well when they brought it it wasn't what we ordered, I'll bet they ran out of that model and we got upgraded....nice!

We've also done business with them before like our nat gas fireplace logs, later got the electric auto start upgrade.

Good deal.

I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

Good deal.

I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

.....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. ;)

Oh we're having NY Strip steaks tonight on the grill, baked potatoes with sour cream and butter, grilled asparagus and I'll have a Sam Adams Boston Lager wife has wine. (steaks and asparagus on sale, potatoes basically "dirt" cheap)

The grilling life. :)