THE BROWNS BOARD

Planting a Denver Hay Bale Vegetable Garden

Mr. T

Planting a Denver Hay Bale Vegetable Garden

April 30, 2009

Jaipi Sixbear

Examiner

I'd like to share a fun garden technique with all my Denver readers. It involves planting a vegetable garden in a hay bale. The premise is to use the fertilized hay bale as a gardening medium, rather than soil. This method should work especially well in the summer heat of Denver.

Be sure the hay bale used for the Denver vegetable garden is made from straw. Pine bale, commonly found here in Denver will not work. Wheat straw is said to be best. Take care that the hay bale contains no pesticides. Pesticides will hinder the cooking of the hay bale vegetable garden.

Place the hay bale in a sunny location with a plastic tarp under the bale. Do not remove the twine. The bale must remain solid. Keep the bale soaked with water for several days. After a few days have passed, it's time to add fertilizer to the Denver hay bale vegetable garden.

Several choices of fertilizer will work for the Denver hay bale vegetable garden. Conventional gardeners favor ammonium nitrate. Organic gardeners like myself use manure tea or compost tea. Use the tea as water for the next few days.

To make compost or manure tea, place compost or manure in a net or cheesecloth bag in a trash can filled with water. Dunk the bag up and down to let the Denver hay bale garden tea brew. This should go on for several days. The solids can be used as fertilizer in the conventional garden.

Garden%20Update.jpg

The Denver hay bale garden is ready to plant when it gets warm to the touch. This signifies that the microbes are working to break down the hay. The top middle of the hay bale should be able to be compacted or pushed in to make a rudimentary planter.

Now add about 4 inches of soil or compost to the top of the bale. Dig out the bale to plant the vegetable plants. The decomposing hay bale provides fertilizer for the vegetables. Care for Denver hay bale vegetable garden produce as you would any other from this point on.

The main advantages to the Denver hay bale garden are the lack of bending and digging. This is a completely organic method as well. It does not require purchase of large amounts of soil and fertilizer and it is space saving. In addition, this method will add heat when used in the greenhouse.

http://www.examiner.com/x-8250-Denver-Gard...egetable-garden

We have some nice green tomatoes on the vine, some are almost the size of a baseball. I cant wait, I will add these to my lettuce and spring mix that we have been picking from for the past month or so.

Went to Lowes & Home Depot tried to get help with locating some calcium. didn't have much luck talking to the hired help.

How do you keep everything fresh? I know canning it, but what about the other stuff? Say tomatoes, do you boil and peel them? What about say lettuce. I tried to freeze some spices a while back and they turned out tasting like shit. How much can you actually grow and store? Thanks

I have never done it, I always let the women do it.

Maybe this will help.

someone told me you can slice the tomato lay it on wax paper let it freeze, then take and place them in freezer bags. then you have tomatoes ready to thaw and eat on a burger or any sandwich.

My Father-in-law has an upside down tomato - he really likes it -

but he said watering it was a bit tough - he hung it too high or something...

For anyone who would like to can or freeze - you can go to your local hardware store

and buy Ball's "Blue Book". It will tell you everything you need to know.

Whenever we have time, we're thinking of putting in a little "fruit cellar" jobbie.

Canned tomatoes are excellent.

Always follow the directions exactly. You can also buy a food dehydrator,

dried fruit slices are great. Our small trees are growing already and some types

have bloomed beautifully. I figure a formal invite to Steve to visit is getting close,

it's looking beautiful out, and no mosquitos. I met Steve about 10' from our farm one time.

I'm trying to find time to figure out whether to build purple martin birdhouses or just

buy some a 32 bucks a piece.

I need to fence in our future half acre garden. Too many critters.

need a 30 hr day, but we're having a blast !

http://www.topsygardening.com/

I want these.

I can't resist infomercials.....

:)

WSS

We tried some of planting tomatoes in the greenhouse by hanging them upside down 3 of them couldn't take the weight after watering and made a mess when they fell. I will suggest using a good 550 cord for hanging.

Have you seen the tomato tree adds. https://www.tomatogiant.com/flare/next

We started these from seed back in end of Feb.

tomato.jpg

Nice T. I just never have the time to do that, wish I did.

Hey Steve I just ordered 2 Topsy Turvey's. I can grow on my sun porch, thanks for the suggestion. Plus I got a perfect tomato cutter, lol. Really though I did order them, I will let you know.

Nice T. I just never have the time to do that, wish I did.

Hey Steve I just ordered 2 Topsy Turvey's. I can grow on my sun porch, thanks for the suggestion. Plus I got a perfect tomato cutter, lol. Really though I did order them, I will let you know.

I see they're great for, ahem, herbs too.

For you herb lovers.

B)

WSS

Archived