THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

Gipper...

Despite the unfortunate Dick Shiner example I don't think trading within the division is a big concern. The Browns don't scare anyone and it's hard to underestimate how friendly and close Hue and Marvin are. The bigger question is if the Browns would be willing to meet the Bengals trade demands. The Bengals have openly asked for a 1st and a 4th, and claim to have turned down a 2nd and a 4th last year. They haven't said who made the bid or if it's still a good offer.

My take? McCarron is going to look pretty attractive to any team that drops out of the Garappolo sweepstakes.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gipper...

Despite the unfortunate Dick Shiner example I don't think trading within the division is a big concern. The Browns don't scare anyone and it's hard to underestimate how friendly and close Hue and Marvin are. The bigger question is if the Browns would be willing to meet the Bengals trade demands. The Bengals have openly asked for a 1st and a 4th, and claim to have turned down a 2nd and a 4th last year. They haven't said who made the bid or if it's still a good offer.

My take? McCarron is going to look pretty attractive to any team that drops out of the Garappolo sweepstakes.

I still think it is not really business as usual to trade within the division. Very rare outliers involved.

Besides Dick Shiner and Justin Gilbert, what other trades have ever been made between the two teams?

What trade has ever been made between the Browns and Bengals? I don't remember any.

And likewise the Ravens?

We got DA from the Ravens...but was not that a waiver wire deal?

What about back in the like 25 years the Browns and Oilers were in a division together? Any trades?

The Aikman 3 time winning SB Cowboys were 3rd, 2nd and 5th defensively in points allowed.

The Rodgers 1 time winning SB Packers were 2nd in pts allowed

The Farve 1 time winning SB Packers were 1st in pts allowed.

The Peyton Manning losing SB Broncos were 1st in offensive pts and 22nd in pts allowed defense.

The Peyton Manning winning SB Broncos were 19th in offensive pts and 2nd in pts allowed defense

Peyton Manning was lucky to win 1 SB Indy. Why? He had no defense in Indy and it took a great Denver defense for Manning to get his 2nd ring.

The Vermiel KC Chiefs had a great offense but couldnt stop anyone with their awful defense.

Brady has had great defenses when he won SBs.

So....again, you prove my point that you need balance....great QB, great defense. These QBs rarely won without a very good defense....and a great defense has rarely won without a top notch QB.

Youre dead on. Remember the kick ass Safety from Iowa? Bob Sanders?

Absolutely... oft-injured Bob Sanders... most of the time due to reckless disregard for his own body. Also took out a couple teammates thru his years.

But when on the field he was a real difference maker.

Gipper...

The short answer Uma- is no. I can't see the Browns offering up multiple picks for Garropolo, and I sure as hell can't envision them ponying up a first round pick for McCarron. If they don't take Trubisky, it's going to be two defensive picks in the first this year.

Hoorta --If you don't want to give up draft picks for Garrappolo or McCarron there's no trade possible, and that's fine, but lets stop pretending this has anything to do with Dick Shiner or the Bengals not wanting to trade a young QB to a division rival.

The Bengals certainly can shop McCarron, and the Patriots Garropolo. I'm saying that asking price you're talking about is absurd for McCarron- in division or not.

Why the fuck would we trade anything for AJ McCarron

One of our conditional fifths? Yeah- won't happen- he's darn near a clone of Kessler.

Why the fuck would we trade anything for AJ McCarron

He was a starting QB for a long time at a big school in a relatively pro-style offense, who has spent time in and knows Hue Jackson's scheme.

Now - am I talking about McCarron or Kessler? Yeah, pass on McCarron.

Defense wins championships.

You can say it. Its OK.

Defense gets you close. Balance wins championships.

Even the greatest defenses in history didn't win it alone.

I mean....the 1985 Bears had McMahon, Walter, Willie Gault......a pretty damned good offense.

The 2000 Ravens had a shit offense at first...that is true. But check out the numbers that their offense put up once Dilfer took over:

Here are the points they scored: 27, 24, 27, 44, 24, 34

And they scored 34 points against the Giants in the Super Bowl.

Gipper...If it isn't business as usual the problem is likely on your end.

Agree to pay what the Bengals are asking and I'm guessing your team will soon have a brand new starting QB who already knows your offense.

Tell me any time the Bengals have ever made a trade with the Browns/Steelers/Ravens...or going back to Houston etc.

Gipper --You're missing the point either accidentally or deliberately. The fact there are no intradivision trades is only proof of at least one teams reluctance to trade. I'm telling you the reluctant team wouldn't be Cincinnati. The compensation they receive would be the same regardless. Rather, the reluctant party would be Cleveland, and for proof...just listen to your fellow brownie fans. McCarron isn't worth this, that or the other thing they say. Don't trade the draft picks to a rival.

Gipper --You're missing the point either accidentally or deliberately. The fact there are no intradivision trades is only proof of at least one teams reluctance to trade. I'm telling you the reluctant team wouldn't be Cincinnati. The compensation they receive would be the same regardless. Rather, the reluctant party would be Cleveland, and for proof...just listen to your fellow brownie fans. McCarron isn't worth this, that or the other thing they say. Don't trade the draft picks to a rival.

I am not missing any point. You are just being obtuse and delusional if you think that there is not major reluctance on the part of teams to make intradivisional trades.

Again....show me an instance where the Bengals made a trade with a team in the division.

Why don't the Pats just go ahead and trade Garropolo to the Jets. They are desperate for a QB.

Sometimes it's funny the way you guys act like you've already got a QB.

I'm pretty sure we are all aware of our QB need...

It's just that we also know that flailing around for one is not productive... and it was a hard lesson to learn.

Sometimes it's funny the way you guys act like you've already got a QB.

We don't have a QB, doofus....and we ain't getting one with a trade with the Bengals.

Again, show me where the Bengals have ever made a trade with the Browns/Ravens/Steelers.

It would be a very rare happening. Like we said, we went from the late 60s to 2016 to find a trade with the Browns and Steelers.

defense wins championships...ask dan fouts....guy was great but man did his defenses suck ass big time...if they stunk he would have won a superbowl..they were that bad...

Sure, Dan Fouts could have used a better defense.....but how close would DAn Fouts's team have come without Dan Fouts?

Archived