THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

I think it comes down to 49's and Bears and what they decide to do with their first pick. If either team somehow falls in absolute love with JG and offers up THAT high of a draft pick, I think that might knock us out. If they aren't willing to part with such a high commodity, I think we'll make the deal. JG is also from the Chicago area I think, but not sure that means too much. Here's something else to keep in mind...there are probably going to be a few interesting free agent or cut QB's available. We don't know for sure, but here's an estimate of QB's that probably will be with a new team: Tyrod Taylor, Collin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Garoppolo, and POSSIBLY Carson Palmer (I recently read that Palmer withdrew his children from school and put his house on the market...not sure what that means?). Let's take Palmer out of it, and focus on the first four. Those are the guys we can almost be sure will be playing for a new team. So who are the teams that will most likely be starting a new QB? Chicago, San Francisco, Cleveland, Houston, and Buffalo (there will probably be others, but those are just the five that pop into my head).

Figuring out which player will go to which team is just guessing at this point, but that's what this part of the season is for! I don't LOVE Tyrod or Kaepernick, but I have to admit, both possess the athletic traits our coach apparently desires (which makes the Kessler selection so puzzling). Kaepernick had pretty good stats, better than you might think. He obviously didn't win many games, but he had 16 TD's to 4 INT's and a QB rating of 91. That's nothing to scoff at. Problem is, I don't love his accuracy or ability to read the field. He seems to rely a lot on "backyard football" skills, and he's also a magnificent douche bag. Tyrod Taylor is a solid selection, too. I'm guessing JG is our #1 choice (I have nothing to support that, just a total guess), but if the price is too high (which I think it WILL be), I'm thinking we're going to see Tyrod of Kaepernick in a Browns uniform.

Edit: Tony Romo will most likely be out there too, but I don't see ANY way we go after him. I project him going to Houston or Chicago.

Romo's best fit is with Houston. They are an instant Super Bowl contender if he goes there, and he gets to stay in Texas. Seems like a match made in heaven. My hope is the other Garroppolo contenders find their answers in free agency, because I don't want any of those guys.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was referring to my lifetime.

TJ Ward was good. Haden is good. I liked Jordan Cameron.

The Browns always seem to have good WRs.

No one cares about your lifetime. When were you born, 1999? You are obviously young and dumb if you did not see some of these guys play.

Look Atty

I am sure that nobody here wants to relive what happened 20 years ago.

YOU wanted to.

Therefore, I am not going to argue with you further on this topic.

That is the one smart thing you have said, as there is no arguing with me on something like this.

You can argue opinions, not facts.

Now,If you want to argue about how youre misinformed and wrong about Bradys suspension or stuff like that, fine, but no more semantics for me on this topic.

If I am wrong...then the NFL and Roger Goodell and the court that heard that case are wrong.

So, your argument is with them, not me.

There is a video that supports everything that I have stated but I will not play it because it is unfaltering to Browns fans.

What would Browns have to do with the Deflategate matter? Absolutely nothing.

But, you are right: Browns fans are "unfaltering".

(do you have a clue what that word means?)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unfaltering

The premise of my post was about players that could help the Browns win today or good players in recent seasons since the Browns were reactivated.

Team building players and role players. Must everything be explained in the nth degree to you?

The premise of every one of your posts actually: "look how ignorant I am".

Romo's best fit is with Houston. They are an instant Super Bowl contender if he goes there, and he gets to stay in Texas. Seems like a match made in heaven. My hope is the other Garroppolo contenders find their answers in free agency, because I don't want any of those guys.

It would be a good fit, in terms of staying in Texas. If he's not married to that idea, he could try Denver too. If you want a wild one, LA, to give Goff another year of sitting? Or the Jets, who always seem to think they're just on the cusp. With Marshall and Decker and the young big guy they have talented receivers.

It would be a good fit, in terms of staying in Texas. If he's not married to that idea, he could try Denver too. If you want a wild one, LA, to give Goff another year of sitting? Or the Jets, who always seem to think they're just on the cusp. With Marshall and Decker and the young big guy they have talented receivers.

Jets and Broncos would make sense. Not sure about LA, I think they tossed Fisher so they could bring someone in to get Goff going.

I think it comes down to 49's and Bears and what they decide to do with their first pick. If either team somehow falls in absolute love with JG and offers up THAT high of a draft pick, I think that might knock us out. If they aren't willing to part with such a high commodity, I think we'll make the deal. JG is also from the Chicago area I think, but not sure that means too much. Here's something else to keep in mind...there are probably going to be a few interesting free agent or cut QB's available. We don't know for sure, but here's an estimate of QB's that probably will be with a new team: Tyrod Taylor, Collin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Garoppolo, and POSSIBLY Carson Palmer (I recently read that Palmer withdrew his children from school and put his house on the market...not sure what that means?). Let's take Palmer out of it, and focus on the first four. Those are the guys we can almost be sure will be playing for a new team. So who are the teams that will most likely be starting a new QB? Chicago, San Francisco, Cleveland, Houston, and Buffalo (there will probably be others, but those are just the five that pop into my head).

Figuring out which player will go to which team is just guessing at this point, but that's what this part of the season is for! I don't LOVE Tyrod or Kaepernick, but I have to admit, both possess the athletic traits our coach apparently desires (which makes the Kessler selection so puzzling). Kaepernick had pretty good stats, better than you might think. He obviously didn't win many games, but he had 16 TD's to 4 INT's and a QB rating of 91. That's nothing to scoff at. Problem is, I don't love his accuracy or ability to read the field. He seems to rely a lot on "backyard football" skills, and he's also a magnificent douche bag. Tyrod Taylor is a solid selection, too. I'm guessing JG is our #1 choice (I have nothing to support that, just a total guess), but if the price is too high (which I think it WILL be), I'm thinking we're going to see Tyrod of Kaepernick in a Browns uniform.

Edit: Tony Romo will most likely be out there too, but I don't see ANY way we go after him. I project him going to Houston or Chicago.

Agree with Romo to HOU as a fit, but there's a big pile of O$weiller in the way. Denver seems likely to me and the Manning model is a selling point.

Can't get on board with Kaep. Too similar to the RG3 road we strolled down in 2016.

Palmer? He said the reports of schools and for sale signs were not true.

Jimmy G? Agree the price will get to high for my taste, but again... there's the old, "If Hue and the FO really believe" proviso.

Cutler? Just no, please Lord, no...

Taylor? More intriguing prospect... showed promise and his similar game to RG makes the kind of sense that our existing, QB quartet never did.

If Romo can't stay healthy behind "the best offensive line in football" why would anyone think he could produce somewhere else. Dallas' best bet would be to buy Tony a 1 way ticket to the glue factory.

Maybe he can find his way back between Jessica Simpson's thighs.

9ed6444096467f24fb2a0296ab6fe71e.jpg

Pends on the value Pats gain & player that Bill wants to slide to in draft. Guess who drafts at #13?..Zona (noway JG wins there)& Palmer is packing. Think the Broncos #20 & Texans#25 a QB away? Bill's lab awaits after SB. He's the best dangler out there, but also says who they'll dangle.

it's hard to say if garappalo is even a decent qb outside of the pats....remember when matt cassell had to qb in place of brady and won 11 games...when he left, what did he do...i'd say not much...its the pats system...they make players look great because of their system....any team that takes garapalo would be taking a chance giving up a good draft pick for him...in the case of the browns, he's probably better than anyone we have now and i don't know who else is out there. but again, the pats are not stupid, they are going to want a good deal. the browns need so much, including a qb...its a difficult sitiation..

We need to pull the reins in on any talk of a trade for Jimmy G....for a few reasons:

A. There was a Las Vegas Odds published that said that, in order, the most likely place for JG to end up next year are: 1. Chicago 2. New England 3. San Francisco and 4. Cleveland. Cleveland was like a 1250 to one choice.

B. The Hue Jackson obsession with RGIII. While Hue has said that, yes, the Browns will get another QB....he didn't say from what source. It could even be just a mid to low round draft pick. It is highly possible, even probable that he thinks RGIII may still be the man for him. We may all disagree, but we don't coach the team. Hue may still think that RG is a potential superior talent to JG, and they are not that far off in age. RG is born Feb. 1990, JG Nov. 1991.

(and others here will tell you.....do not discount the race factor when it comes to Hue)

C. The price of the trade. Of course, this is maybe my opinion, maybe you all have a different one, but I would not be willing to part with either of our first round picks for him. What we don't know, of course, is what the Browns FO may be thinking....if they are thinking of going in that direction at all. While I know that the Browns have acquired "assets" to go after a QB, this team has lots and lots of other holes.

Many pundits I have heard have said that JG is not #12 pick talent.

Rumor has it that Chicago will go hard for Jimmy.

NE does not need to trade him if they get lowballed since he has 1 year reaming on his contract. QB3 Jacoby Brisset is still very green.

Well, yes, JG has that one year to go. But from the Pats point of view, if they don't trade him now, he can walk away after next year and they get squadoosh for him. That is why they want to try to get a winfall for him now, so that they don't get bupkiss later. If Brady were retiring now, it would be a different matter. But Brady wants to go on and on....and JG doesn't want to wait to get his shot.

And, one of the reasons the Pats are supposedly willing to trade JG is because of their faith in Brisset. Apparently Josh McDaniels likes him a lot. Since McD is likely to take over for BB....he will want his own hand picked QB to play for him going forward after TB does retire. And apparently Jacoby, not JG is that guy. (Brisset, I think, still has like 3 years on his rookie contract, so he ain't going nowhere.)

WRONG

Look up NFL franchise tag.

Yea sure, they could do that.....and then they would have to pay about 25 million per year on an unproven backup QB, assuming Brady still plays, which he says he would. That would be more than they are paying Brady.

We can all only wish that the Patriots were that stupid.

Most people have enough sense to know that the tag would be used to control Garrapolos rights since he would be a Free Agent. NE has 67 million in cap space this season and could roll some of that money into 2018 planning to tag Garropolo. The cap rising in 2018 benefits NE as well.

Youd have to be pretty dense to believe that Garrapolo will just walk away after the 2017 season if he isnt traded. Just sayin.

No, I agree, they don't want him to walk away untraded....that is why they will apparently be desperate to trade him. That is why the Browns have no business offering more than #52 for him. They are the desperate ones, not the Browns.

But, the Pats will NOT be franchise tagging him after this coming season and pay him 25 million or so.

The ONLY way they would do that is if: A. Tom Brady announced his retirement and he plays outstanding for them next year (ain't happening) or B. Tom Brady suffers an injury that could put him on the shelf for 2 years and threaten his career...and he plays outstanding for him.

As has been noted elsewhere....the Pats coaches (at least McDaniels) have gushed over Jacoby Brisset. So, it seems, as reported, that the Pats are by NO means all in on JG. At all. In fact, if they can't make a trade for him this year, yes, they may in fact keep him around next year, then let him go for nada.

I mean, they would at least probably get a Comp pick for him in that case, which may be sufficient for them.

But they ain't paying him 25 million dollars.

Most people have enough sense to know that the tag would be used to control Garrapolos rights since he would be a Free Agent. NE has 67 million in cap space this season and could roll some of that money into 2018 planning to tag Garropolo. The cap rising in 2018 benefits NE as well.

Youd have to be pretty dense to believe that Garrapolo will just walk away after the 2017 season if he isnt traded. Just sayin.

& I can't believe the Patriots would tag Garropolo if Brady still wants to play in 2018. That's over $40 million on quarterbacks. Tom's only incentive to keep playing is if he wants to chase Manning and Favre's records. The only way your scenario makes sense is if New England really believes Jimmy is the QBOTF, and Brady has let them know 2018 is his last year.

BTW, it's been suggested more than once on this board- if the Patriots are so enamored of Jacoby Brissett as the backup they're willing to trade Jimmy- it's buyer beware. They're rolling the dice big time if Brady gets hurt, Garropolo is gone, and they're playing with Jacoby @ qb. Some of us are inclined to believe it's partly the system, not the player. Just another reason me and Gip aren't willing to give up much for Garropolo.

For #12 no wat

giving up a 12 for him would be really, really dumb.

won't happen. The player is fine, but a high first rounder?

no freaking way, unless a team that is nearly a playoff team does the deal

because all they need is a qb. Now, at 33, I could go with that. But the bidding

war will surely make it a dumb move.

Hell has frozen over, Cal and I agree sorry Cal :)

Tom's only incentive to keep playing is if he wants to chase Manning and Favre's records.

I think it's pretty clear that Tom loves the game... the competition. That any "records" are secondary byproducts. While both are easier to love when you are winning... winning titles... I see no signs his fire is dying. Someday I may, but not yet.

Just get the feeling he and Bill will walk off into the sunset together... after one, last SB win. Maybe after the SB in early 2020... seems like a nice round number.

And that's too long to pay big money to keep a backup...

I think it's pretty clear that Tom loves the game... the competition. That any "records" are secondary byproducts. While both are easier to love when you are winning... winning titles... I see no signs his fire is dying. Someday I may, but not yet.

Just get the feeling he and Bill will walk off into the sunset together... after one, last SB win. Maybe after the SB in early 2020... seems like a nice round number.

And that's too long to pay big money to keep a backup...

And Brady is a workoutaholic who watches every single thing he eats so that he is in the best shape he can possibly be in every year he plays. I think he has 2-5 more years left in the tank just because that regimen is a part of his competitive nature. Like Manning injury will be the only thing slowing him down during that time. That's the unknown factor here.

NO, NE is NOT desperate this off season because Garapollo has 1 year on his contract.

NO, Garropollo cannot just walk away. NE will control his rights.

One hour ago.

Well, yes, JG has that one year to go. But from the Pats point of view, if they don't trade him now, he can walk away after next year and they get squadoosh for him. That is why they want to try to get a winfall for him now, so that they don't get bupkiss later.

NO, Garropollo CANT walk away because NE will Franchise tag him. Thats what the Franchise tag was designed for. Dont you understand?

In the National Football League (NFL), the franchise tag is a designation a team may apply to a player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. The tag binds the player to the team for one year if certain conditions are met. ... The transition tag can only be used if the team does not use a franchise tag.

Are you really, seriously basing your position with the confidence that the Patriots would slap the Franchise tag on JG after this next season?

Lets put this to the test: Is there anyone else out there at all that thinks that the NE Patriots after next season are going to Franchise their backup QB and pay him 25 million.?

Anyone? Anyone?

Are you really, seriously basing your position with the confidence that the Patriots would slap the Franchise tag on JG after this next season?

Lets put this to the test: Is there anyone else out there at all that thinks that the NE Patriots after next season are going to Franchise their backup QB and pay him 25 million.?

Anyone? Anyone?

No because of the way BB has operated over the years, he's far more likely to trade of Grabsapillow for a draft pick (or two or three) before losing him in free agency. He's a player of value to someone else and of really no value to NE as long as #12 keeps playing.

Anyone? Anyone?

Already said no way Jose. Brady will make $21 million in 2018 unless he restructures again. Add in another $25 million for Jimmy? Not unless Tom says 2018 is his last year.

And Brady is a workoutaholic who watches every single thing he eats so that he is in the best shape he can possibly be in every year he plays. I think he has 2-5 more years left in the tank just because that regimen is a part of his competitive nature. Like Manning injury will be the only thing slowing him down during that time. That's the unknown factor here.

Ha, don't ya know someone here thinks Tom is already washed up? There's around 10 NFL teams that would gladly take Brady off of New England's hands.

That's the thing about Tom, even with the legends of the past decade or so the writing on the wall was there. That craziest thing about Brady is there's about nothing you can point to that goes "hmm" other than age. His stats are still elite, he still remains incredibly healthy in terms of being on the field, and it's clear the guy wants to play until his arm falls off.

As of this second I have zero reason to doubt Tom could play another 3-4 season. Father Time gets everyone but until that "writing on the wall" play starts to show up, I'd be all in.

Archived