THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

Personally, I think the Browns would prefer to have Jimmy G as their starting qb, but they won't overpay for him. They have shown especially in Free Agency, they are willing to do things on their terms only and won't bend no matter what the public pressure or outside forces are saying. I think this is a very good quality in a front office, especially considering they are fairly young in the game. I believe they have made what they believe to be more than a fair offer to NE for his services, but NE just isn't ready to part with him yet. I truly think they are going to hold onto him through next year, tag him, and then trade him away. he may lose draft pick value overall, but in their eyes, it's super bowl or bust. If they lose brady, Jimmy g still can get them a super bowl win. I'm not sure Jacoby Brisset can do that at this point of his career. Once again, it's the value of the player to the organization. Different teams have different terms of value. Each team holds different players at different positions with a certain value marker. NE is holding their back-up qb, with a very strong sense of value and understand his loss could be detrimental to the overall team's success. That being said, with the Jamie Collins deal, NE saw that even though his value was very high as a player, their defense could survive without him. With both him and Hightower being unrestricted FA's, they knew they would only be able to afford one of them. They placed a higher value on retraining Hightower than Collins. When the Browns called about his services, they reached a deal that was in their minds reasonable value for him. I don't think it has anything to do with being a good trade/bad trade type scenario but simply, a matter of how to maintain team success within the current structure of the nfl. The patriots have proven this time and time again. How does this all tie back to JImmy G and the Browns? To me, it's two teams who are largely working in very similar manners evaluating the value of each player and what it is worth to them. For the patriots, a very good back-up qb is more important to retain than a very good linebacker. To the browns, they were able to obtain a very good linebacker for a reasonable price. They would like to get Jimmy G, but they also recognize that they are not in a position to mortgage the future of the team for one player no matter whom the player maybe.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think the Browns would prefer to have Jimmy G as their starting qb, but they won't overpay for him. They have shown especially in Free Agency, they are willing to do things on their terms only and won't bend no matter what the public pressure or outside forces are saying. I think this is a very good quality in a front office, especially considering they are fairly young in the game. I believe they have made what they believe to be more than a fair offer to NE for his services, but NE just isn't ready to part with him yet. I truly think they are going to hold onto him through next year, tag him, and then trade him away. he may lose draft pick value overall, but in their eyes, it's super bowl or bust. If they lose brady, Jimmy g still can get them a super bowl win. I'm not sure Jacoby Brisset can do that at this point of his career. Once again, it's the value of the player to the organization. Different teams have different terms of value. Each team holds different players at different positions with a certain value marker. NE is holding their back-up qb, with a very strong sense of value and understand his loss could be detrimental to the overall team's success. That being said, with the Jamie Collins deal, NE saw that even though his value was very high as a player, their defense could survive without him. With both him and Hightower being unrestricted FA's, they knew they would only be able to afford one of them. They placed a higher value on retraining Hightower than Collins. When the Browns called about his services, they reached a deal that was in their minds reasonable value for him. I don't think it has anything to do with being a good trade/bad trade type scenario but simply, a matter of how to maintain team success within the current structure of the nfl. The patriots have proven this time and time again. How does this all tie back to JImmy G and the Browns? To me, it's two teams who are largely working in very similar manners evaluating the value of each player and what it is worth to them. For the patriots, a very good back-up qb is more important to retain than a very good linebacker. To the browns, they were able to obtain a very good linebacker for a reasonable price. They would like to get Jimmy G, but they also recognize that they are not in a position to mortgage the future of the team for one player no matter whom the player maybe.

Pats ain't winning no Super Bowl next year without Brady. JG is unproven...and ain't no Tom Brady.

There were other offers. Lower than the Browns.

Collins must be not very good.

How the fuck do you know that? You don't. As he said, you are just making this shit up it seems. Show a link to something legitimate that even speculated that there were other offers.

To reap as many high draft picks as possible to load the Patriots for bear.

Only told you 20X already the Browns won't be that stupid.

It was the Steelers and Packers choice to pass on Collins when both teams are Super Bowl contenders.

There was no place on the Packers or Steelers rosters with Mathews and Timmons respectively already in place.

There were other offers. Lower than the Browns.

Collins must be not very good.

Yeah, he's so bad the Browns decided he was worth more than Hightower- and hey cap guru- if the Browns had wanted to, they had the the money to sign Hightower to reunite him with Collins. But they happen to think Kirksey will do just fine for a lot less money.

A fair and unbiased take.

OK guys this has gone on long enough. The lines are drawn in the sand, about everyone has their minds made up about Jimmy, one way or another. This is turning into a debate squad event. The relative merits of the guy, as well as the risks to the Browns have been gone over ad nauseum. Boo is just cooking up regurgitated crap that's been refuted 10X over. So I'm closing the thread- 800+ posts about a backup quarterback who's not even on the Browns- and who may never be is plain crazy. Unless and until there's definitive information from the Browns or Patriots let's just give it a rest. In another thread.

Please- Thank you.

Archived