THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HA what? You really think keeping Bowe and not Taylor was a great move? You are as smart as Pisspuke fans

Who on earth are you talking to? Are you the only one on this board that doesn't know this regime got rid of Dwayne Bowe before they got rid of Taylor Gabriel?

Do you understand the difference between where Atlanta's passing game in 2016 was with an MVP accurate passer and Julio Jones freeing up every other receiver in their offense vrs where we were the last time Taylor Gabriel gave us his reception volume of 28 for only 241 yards at 8.6 yards per catch and zero TD receptions in 2015? He wasn't going in the right direction here no matter how much some of you need to Stephen King this thing. In his 2014 dream season here that he had 36 receptions - who was the WR they benched for the 5 games Josh Gordon returned for? Taylor Gabriel.

I realize absence makes the heart grow fonder; but the sum of FO decisions in our personnel here only had Gabriel averaging half a TD per season during his 2 year tenure here. Do I really need to tell you the QBs we had on this roster weren't about to tap that tiny catch radius any better than the ones here in 2015 could? In his 7 career TD receptions over 3 years, 6 of them were for Atlanta in 2016.

The only good vet wr we have ever got from FA was Joe J back in 06, other than that nothing. We have no weapons we have no speed guys, Taylor had some speed but was small. Kenny Britt is a never was. Mark my words he will be hurt 11 out of 16 games.. Fix the oline then get a couple large 6'5 wr. But for the Taylor G? I was just being a troll. It is the off season and I am bored

Especially since every pick Tour has made so far for the Browns has been on defense.

Just going where the talent leads me, boss...

Garropolo needs some decent talent around him. Hes not Jesus.

... and I wouldn't trade those four #2's for Jesus.

Youre also underestimating Brisset. He stepped in when Garrapolo was hurt and played well just coming off the draft.

And that' somehow not a sign that the Pats offense pumps up a QB's preformance?

I don't know of anyone besides Mud that wanted the Browns to keep Gabriel

I did, too. It's in a thread on 2016 roster cutdowns. You can check if you like.

I wanted to cut Hawkins instead of Gabe.

... and there it is.

I'm still pretty sure the trade for JG is going to happen, but my concern about it is...why hasn't it happened? In my mind, the Patriots would want to know where they're picking for the upcoming draft. They would want as much time as possible to plan, evaluate, and scheme it up. As of right now, they don't even HAVE a first or second round pick in a draft that is heavy on defensive talent. The Patriots are in NEED of defensive talent. I'm a little concerned that there basically is ZERO chatter regarding this trade scenario, but then again, that doesn't mean anything.

I'm still pretty sure the trade for JG is going to happen, but my concern about it is...why hasn't it happened? In my mind, the Patriots would want to know where they're picking for the upcoming draft. They would want as much time as possible to plan, evaluate, and scheme it up. As of right now, they don't even HAVE a first or second round pick in a draft that is heavy on defensive talent. The Patriots are in NEED of defensive talent. I'm a little concerned that there basically is ZERO chatter regarding this trade scenario, but then again, that doesn't mean anything.

Could be a matter of the Browns trying to work out a potential trade on draft day. Trade back from 12 and get some other draft picks then move the later first rounder to the Pats. Could also be that they have no desire to get Jimmy G.

Brisset has been groomed as a QB by Bill Parcell's since he was a teenager.

Wow... and it's been a long time since Bill was a teenager...

EDIT :

Jiggins- I usually enjoy your takes, but the bolded is laughable. Can you give me one valid reason why we should be "nice" to the Patriots? The NFL is a cut throat business, and if I'm the Browns, I'm giving them as little time as possible to plan.

I've already said it a bunch of times guy. The Browns will thoroughly evaluate the 2017 QB class first. The Browns hold all the high cards in this scenario, NOT the Patriots. We have zero rush to get a trade done, if at all. MHO is Cleveland will wait and see how the draft is unfolding before they MIGHT make a move. You're 100% right the Patriots are in a bad way come draft day- so make 'em sweat. Bill panicked and took Clifford Charlton out of desperation once upon a time.

What you're missing out on- this isn't a seller's market for Garropolo, it's a buyers market. With more draft "cash" available than anyone the Browns can and will set the price for Jimmy- that's if they're even interested. It's curious the media is so gung-ho to get this trade done has ONLY linked Garropolo to the Browns and no one else- for that exact (simplistic) reason. Sashi and company can tell Bill to go pound salt if they think he's asking too much for a backup quarterback who's only thrown 90 some passes and got hurt after 1-1\2 games.

Right

Who would want a QB like Garrapolo who is smart, can make all throws and reads defenses?

First....you don't really know if he can do all that on more than a temporary basis....and B. even if you think he could do that...at what price?

#52 is my price. Take it or leave it.

I've already said it a bunch of times guy. The Browns will thoroughly evaluate the 2017 QB class first. The Browns hold all the high cards in this scenario, NOT the Patriots. We have zero rush to get a trade done, if at all. MHO is Cleveland will wait and see how the draft is unfolding before they MIGHT make a move. You're 100% right the Patriots are in a bad way come draft day- so make 'em sweat. Bill panicked and took Clifford Charlton out of desperation once upon a time.

What you're missing out on- this isn't a seller's market for Garropolo, it's a buyers market. With more draft "cash" available than anyone the Browns can and will set the price for Jimmy- that's if they're even interested. It's curious the media is so gung-ho to get this trade done has ONLY linked Garropolo to the Browns and no one else- for that exact (simplistic) reason. Sashi and company can tell Bill to go pound salt if they think he's asking too much for a backup quarterback who's only thrown 90 some passes and got hurt after 1-1\2 games.

Nailed it

Right

Who would want a QB like Garrapolo who is smart, can make all throws and reads defenses?

Gee, why don't you ask the 49ers, Bears, and Jets the same question? The media (and some Patriot fans) are looking with tunnel vision at the Golden Fruit Tree of multiple draft picks Cleveland and no one else has, hoping the Browns will be stupid enough to gift a bunch of them to the Patriots. You may have noticed Boo- Sashi didn't overpay for Pryor- though it can be argued he was more of an immediate need than a "right now" qb. He sure as hell isn't paying more than market value for a backup qb that might have starter potential. And have to sign him to a long term contract with at least top 50% qb money. Taking a qb at #12 is looking better and cheaper by the day.

First....you don't really know if he can do all that on more than a temporary basis....and B. even if you think he could do that...at what price?

#52 is my price. Take it or leave it.

Nailed it Gip- we've both been saying that from the get-go. We'll even throw the Brockstrich in and pick up $10 million of his salary, but that may reduce our offer. :)

Garroplo will never go the Jets. Ridiculous. The Bears already have Glennon which was a stupid move. He sucks. What did the 49ers offer? Do you know?

Sashi hoarding his cap money and draft picks is unlikely to produce wins sooner than later. Weak QB draft with the usual Russian roulette choices at QB.

Agreed, Bill isn't stupid enough to trade Garropolo in the division to the Jets. Browns aren't in a "win now" mode either. You're just reiterating media dumbspeak, if you think Jimmy is our only option. Just said it in the original post- "Browns lots of picks- New England needs picks". Aw shucks, the Browns have out maneuvered the Patriots in amassing draft picks and cap room. But, but- it's SO obvious- no it isn't. Already said it- the Browns aren't paying more than market value for a BACKUP QB, regardless of what the media or Patriot fans think. If we want to blow some cap room and draft picks, I'll spend it on a guy like Kirk Cousins- happens to be 10X the proven commodity than Garropolo, and I dare you to say otherwise. I don't know (neither does anyone else) what Sashi and DePo's opinion of Garropolo is, but I'm confident of this- unless they see Jimmy as the next Aaron Rodgers- you're not getting any more than (a) second round pick for his services.

Jimmy isn't Russian Roulette? Har, har- if he isn't- go keep him as your backup when Brady gets hurt. Hate to break it to you but JG definitely IS. After how many New England backups have flamed out? It's going to be different this time? He's got a smaller resume than Matt Cassell. This particular Browns fan has seen the media hype over New England backup qbs too many times to get sucked in again. Us Cleveland fans saw what can happen after defensive coordinators get a handle on a qb- like Derek Anderson. Pro Bowl to toilet bowl.

No, who wants to win this year or next. Having the most cap space and draft picks is what its all about. Ask any wannabe NFL GM.

Win what?

During his stint with us Saint Belichick built the Browns over 4 years before we made a playoff appearance. Why do you persist in your fantasy that we are on some other schedule?

Belichick does not want to make the Jets stronger with a good QB. Let them keep drafting busts. This draft is full of them.

HAHA

No, who wants to win this year or next. Having the most cap space and draft picks is what its all about. Ask any wannabe NFL GM.

Says here Cousins wants to go to the 49ers. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/cleveland-may-make-a-run-at-kirk-cousins/

Brisset is the back up now. Some team is getting Garropolo like I stated. NE is not going into this draft with no picks in the 1st and 2nd.

So? When is this Cousins deal supposed to go down? Dan Snyder basically says no way in hell is he trading Cousins.

Belichick does not want to make the Jets stronger with a good QB. Let them keep drafting busts. This draft is full of them.

HAHA

Says here Cousins wants to go to the 49ers. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/cleveland-may-make-a-run-at-kirk-cousins/

Brisset is the back up now. Some team is getting Garropolo like I stated. NE is not going into this draft with no picks in the 1st and 2nd.

The Patriots going to put a gun to other teams heads and force them to give you picks? Doesn't work that way. It would bring much joy and happiness to the other 31 teams if the Patriots don't have any first or second round picks. We'd be more than happy to see that the Patriots have Garropolo so drastically overvalued they screwed up giving away too much to land Cooks.

First, supposedly the Bears kicked the Jimmy tires and thought either- the asking price for Garropolo was too high or Glennon was a better option. They're not the only Franchise to be in the wait and see mode. The 49ers are waiting on Cousins, who possibly IS worth the #2 overall pick.

I pilfered this from another forum because it makes too much sense.....

IF Garoppolo is really this guy that all the GM's and HC's love, and

IF he is as ready to step in day 1 and be the starter,

THEN...

Why is it Houston is willing to wait around for a broken down war horse like Romo?

Why is it Denver is poking around offering a 1st for Joe Thomas when they could use it to get JG?

Why is it Washington doesn't just go after him and trade Cousins away to SF?

The reality is NO GOOD TEAM is connected to JG. Only a poor team with tons of assets. Now...there is only 1 reason I can think of for that...and that is NE and their team is filling the air waves (with shills like Lombardi and LaCanforya) trying to get someone to bite on BS rumors about the Browns wanting him.

Fact that trade value goes way down on draft day, and the Browns will bide their time.

If Jamie Collins is really that good.

Why were there not more teams interested?

Why would Pittsburgh let Collins go to a rival when they are thin at LB?

Green Bay is wasting away the Rodgers years. Why didnt GB go all in and get Collins when they have the draft pick?

The answer is that there were no good teams that wanted Collins.

In regards to Houston the answer is so simple. Romo will be cut and cost nothing. Garrapolo wont.

So why was he the best player on the Browns defense?

Green Bay is wasting away the Rodgers years. Why didnt GB go all in and get Collins when they have the draft pick?

In regards to Houston the answer is so simple. Romo will be cut and cost nothing. Garrapolo wont.

It wasn't the Steelers' decision to trade Jamie Collins.

Nor was it the Packers'.

No one "let" anyone do anything.

He might well cost almost nothing, or other teams might tell you to keep him. In regards to the Steelers, they had Timmons at the time and Headhunter Harrison had found the Fountain of Youth, or you forget they could have had Hightower this month for the price of his contract? The Browns seriously needed LB help and getting a pro bowl linebacker for a comp third round pick was a bargain. Just another thing for you to realize in light of the previous, the Browns Front Office isn't going to be overpaying the Patriots for Garropolo either.

Two QB needy teams have essentially passed on Garropolo already. 49ers (Hoyer), and Bears (Glennon). LOL, if you're saying Brissett is the backup now, making Jimmy expendable seriously devalues him in the eyes of other GMs. That's what the 49ers and Bears already told you, he's sort of on the level of Hoyer and Glennon. OR, as I opined- they both thought the Patriots were asking way too damn much.

Ex GM's like Casserly saying "well this is what I would do" doesn't mean squat what the Browns might do. Face it, the Browns could easily go with Ostrich and Kessler, tank again for Darnold- or wait & see if the Patriots will franchise Garropolo, assuming that he's still on the roster.

Here's some media chatter for you to digest after North Carolina's Pro Day. Trubisky isn't getting past #12. He'll only cost the Browns one pick, not a bunch. Another reason the Browns will wait until the draft.

BTW- this media garbage is just as believable as the garbage floating around that the Browns will trade multiple picks for Garropolo. https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/03/22/cleveland-browns-settling-brock-osweiler-quarterback-2017/

I'm one of the fools that completely believes we'll be trading multiple picks for Garoppolo. It just makes too much sense. We've been acquiring picks for the past two years, and we've kept up that mantra already in this offseason. We're getting as much ammo as we possibly can to make a trade. Garoppolo is ready to start right now. He's got a quick release, scans the field, and isn't afraid to attack the middle. I think he's almost exactly what Hue is looking for. This is just my wild-ass opinion, and I obviously don't have a shred of insider knowledge or anything, but I think JG is the direction we're at least TRYING to go. I believe the ONLY hold up is whether or not the Patriots even WANT to trade the guy. However, with them not having a first or second round pick...I think they'd be CRAZY for not making the move.

If you work on the theory that the Pats are in full, win-now mode for Brady's final seasons, and their FA moves tend to say they are, then why would they trade away their primo backup?

It was the Steelers and Packers choice to pass on Collins when both teams are Super Bowl contenders.

How do you know the Patriots didn't refuse to trade him to the Steelers? You constantly report your guesswork as facts on here.

How do you know the Patriots didn't refuse to trade him to the Steelers? You constantly report your guesswork as facts on here.

How do we know that he was shopped around to any team other than the Browns? Steelers/Packers/Gladiators/Banana Slugs?

Is every time a trade is discussed between two teams for a player, does the team that holds his rights go off seeking other offers? I don't think that is the case.

How do we know that he was shopped around to any team other than the Browns? Steelers/Packers/Gladiators/Banana Slugs?

Is every time a trade is discussed between two teams for a player, does the team that holds his rights go off seeking other offers? I don't think that is the case.

I doubt BB is calling a perennial threat in the AFC up offering them his players.

Archived