THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the media would STFU about JG, no way are we even considering it for what is reported. Give up 2 #1's for a guy that will become a FA and not to mention he only threw 94 passes? The same people clamoring for that are the same one's that say Trubisky doesn't have enough experience. Please STFU, we will draft our QB probably a few picks right after we grab Garrett. All these picks we accumulated are for the move up not for that worthless backup to Brady.

Music to my ears, Dawg.

Is it ok to be on this board and not want Garoppolo, Osweiler, Trubisky, Watson, Romo or Kizer?

I don't think Kessler is Tom Brady but he's best play last year was adequate for 2017.

Of course it's OK to feel that way, You just have to realize the predraft discussions can get pretty heated around here. In fact, that's my backup plan if we draft a "project" this April :)

We'll have to start our own board......... I'm guessing there will be more members than we anticipate.

LOL, it's already been done once. The Quinn pumpers got so POed they went off and started their own Board. Stick around- come May first we'll all be sitting around the campfire singing Kumbaya about how the Browns nailed the draft- or totally blew it.

Yep. Since being canned by the PD, Grossi is definitely jaded in covering the Browns. While some of the stuff he writes or says on the radio is true, he seems like he's lost some objectivity.

I wonder if he's a Steeler fan.

Uh no, Grossi is no Steeler fan on the field, he is a fan of their organization.

He is a Browns fan on the field, but has criticized the organization and their moves....

Much the same way you fucks do here, so I don't understand all this Grossi hate.

Uh no, Grossi is no Steeler fan on the field, he is a fan of their organization.

He is a Browns fan on the field, but has criticized the organization and their moves....

Much the same way you fucks do here, so I don't understand all this Grossi hate.

Did I say I hated him? I said he lost his objectivity. I also said some of the stuff he says or writes is true.

Mention the word "Steeler," see reaction. Jeez.

Speaking of QB trades..

Found a link discussing the best trade each team in the NFL has made in their history.

11 of these trades involve QB's.

The great ones:

Jim Kelly

Joe Namath

Eli Manning

John Elway

Sonny Jergensen

Bret Favre

The OK ones:

Bernie Kosar

Matt Schaub

Carson Palmer

Ron Jaworski

Two of those really surprised me.

The best trade that Philly ever made in the history of their franchise was acquiring Jaworski? Really?

The best trade the Cleve ever made in the history of that franchise was acquiring Kosar?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x161102/best-trade-every-nfl-team-ever-made

Did I say I hated him? I said he lost his objectivity. I also said some of the stuff he says or writes is true.

Mention the word "Steeler," see reaction. Jeez.

First of all I said "all the hate" so I am not singling out just you.

No, you didn't say you hated him...no one did.

"Hate" was not used in its literal sense. "Hate" could mean excess or undue criticism, making fun of or ridiculing.

I don't think anybody really hate hates him, but maybe they do.

"Steelers" in this very entertaining thread was mentioned a few times. I replied to only one mention of them. Yours.

Speaking of QB trades..

Found a link discussing the best trade each team in the NFL has made in their history.

The great ones:

Jim Kelly

Joe Namath

Eli Manning

John Elway

Sonny Jergensen

Bret Favre

The OK ones:

Bernie Kosar

Matt Schaub

Carson Palmer

Ron Jaworski

The best trade that Philly ever made in the history of their franchise was acquiring Jaworski? Really?

The best trade the Cleve ever made in the history of that franchise was acquiring Kosar?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x161102/best-trade-every-nfl-team-ever-made

I'm sure Gipper will appreciate this post. He is the resident guru of NFL history and trivia!

I was just looking a Brady's contract and after 2017 his "Cap Savings" turns positive. And his number, at the tail end of his last restructure, jumps from a "friendly" $14mm in 2017 to $22mm in 2018 and 2019.

http://overthecap.com/player/tom-brady/1250

Not that he's a cut candidate... just an observation... but it got me wondering harder about whether 2017 will be his last season as a Pat. It was a springboard, not an integral piece. The first integral piece is the renewed interest in keeping Jimmy G. Assuming it's real spending nearly $40mm/yr on QBs can hamstring even the Pats. But this thought is old news.

Let's do some Q&A... and some point/counterpoint...

• Simply based on FA who is going to be favored over the Pats to win SB LII? (or is it LIII?) And a repeat gives Brady an Elway like send off if he decides to retire... at age 40.
  • And if he doesn't retire? Would Bill really trade "his guy"? I think he would... as much as he loves Tom... business is business... and the list of great Pats who retire as Pats in the Belichick era is a very, very short list.
  • But if he traded Tom, then the Pat fans would go crazy! Yes, they would... but then Browns fans went crazy when he got rid of Bernie in '93. And we stayed and for almost a whole year... until we made the playoffs.
  • But Bernie is not Tom! To Browns fan he was. We did not know any better. We refused to see what Bill saw: diminished skills.
  • But clearly Tom's skills are not diminished! Are we sure of that? Are we looking through Bill's eyes through Bill's eyes? Have we been in game plan sessions for years to witness a shift in planning? Would we even recognize a shift not preceded by, "Tom doesn't do that well enough anymore, so let's do this"?
  • But the Pats are not the Browns! True. So it will take more than a playoff appearance to sooth Pat fans' ruffled feathers
  • But clearly Bill plans to walk off into the sunset with Tom... doesn't he? Ah.... the last bullet ... "the Buddy system"... and the end of the bullet-points...

Setting aside the whole "never met a guy he wouldn't trade" argument made earlier, there is still the fact that there are people in this world who actually believe that Bill can't win without Tom.

I think that before he walks off into the sunset, Bill wants to prove them wrong. Bill turns 65 next month. Tick tock...

Speaking of QB trades..

The great ones:

Jim Kelly

Joe Namath

Eli Manning

John Elway

Sonny Jergensen

Bret Favre

The OK ones:

Bernie Kosar

Matt Schaub

Carson Palmer

Ron Jaworski

Well...that very well may be. Can't really think of another better one....though somehow or other some kind of trade had to have been consummated in 1978 that allowed the Browns to have 2 first rounders...in which they selected both Ozzie Newsome and Clay Matthews.

They have had some really bad trades: Warfield for Phipps. Bobby Mitchell for Ernie Davis. They traded away both Henry Jordan and Willie Davis....not sure if they were trades but got rid of Dick LeBeau and Doug Atkins.

Well...that very well may be. Can't really think of another better one....though somehow or other some kind of trade had to have been consummated in 1978 that allowed the Browns to have 2 first rounders...in which they selected both Ozzie Newsome and Clay Matthews.

They have had some really bad trades: Warfield for Phipps. Bobby Mitchell for Ernie Davis. They traded away both Henry Jordan and Willie Davis....not sure if they were trades but got rid of Dick LeBeau and Doug Atkins.

Mike Oliphant for Earnest Byner. OUCH.

I was just looking a Brady's contract and after 2017 his "Cap Savings" turns positive. And his number, at the tail end of his last restructure, jumps from a "friendly" $14mm in 2017 to $22mm in 2018 and 2019.

http://overthecap.com/player/tom-brady/1250

Not that he's a cut candidate... just an observation... but it got me wondering harder about whether 2017 will be his last season as a Pat. It was a springboard, not an integral piece. The first integral piece is the renewed interest in keeping Jimmy G. Assuming it's real spending nearly $40mm/yr on QBs can hamstring even the Pats. But this thought is old news.

Setting aside the whole "never met a guy he wouldn't trade" argument made earlier, there is still the fact that there are people in this world who actually believe that Bill can't win without Tom.

I think that before he walks off into the sunset, Bill wants to prove them wrong. Bill turns 65 next month. Tick tock...

I mentioned it in another thread Tour. Trading for Cooks with their #32 and more means the Patriots are all in to win the SB this season. I'm not buying that sets up the Jimmy trade to recoup the pick. The obvious reason is should Brady get hurt either for an extended period, or in the playoffs and Garropolo is on another team, that Super Bowl win goes "poof". Jacoby Brissett- that's the ticket to the Promised Land.

I mentioned it in another thread Tour. Trading for Cooks with their #32 and more means the Patriots are all in to win the SB this season. I'm not buying that sets up the Jimmy trade to recoup the pick. The obvious reason is should Brady get hurt either for an extended period, or in the playoffs and Garropolo is on another team, that Super Bowl win goes "poof". Jacoby Brissett- that's the ticket to the Promised Land.

That seemed almost like a Mercy trade. Byner committed "The Fumble".....lets get him out of here so that he does not have to be stigmatized and hassled by the fan base.

Byner was shipped out after he got called for two unsportsman-like conduct penalties in a row towards the end of a playoff game. It effectively killed our final drive and we lost the game.

Actually it was Marty's fault. I was yelling at the TV, "Get him outa there!". Anyone could see that he was out of his mind. But nope, Shotty let him stay in and get the second penalty.

Byner was shipped out after he got called for two unsportsman-like conduct penalties in a row towards the end of a playoff game. It effectively killed our final drive and we lost the game.

Actually it was Marty's fault. I was yelling at the TV, "Get him outa there!". Anyone could see that he was out of his mind. But nope, Shotty let him stay in and get the second penalty.

Yeah it sucked. We should have beat the Oilers; ruined our Christmas Eve.

That was the game where Clay Matthews picked up Warren Moon's lateral, ran it into the end zone, and Jerry Seaman said "the whistle blew,incomplete pass." Browns lose 24-23

In all fairness no one knew what would happen with Ernie Davis, winner of the Heisman Trophy. What a tragic loss.

Saddest thing Ag, with my medical background- if then was now, 95% chance he'd have been back on the field like Eric Berry. The '60s were Stone Age compared to what we know now on how to treat blood cancers.

Saddest thing Ag, with my medical background- if then was now, 95% chance he'd have been back on the field like Eric Berry. The '60s were Stone Age compared to what we know now on how to treat blood cancers.

Yep, my mother's older brother for whom I was named died of pneumonia at age 17 about 3-4 years before penicillin came into mass use. And his grandfather was one of the pioneering MDs who founded Texas's first med school in Galveston in 1891. He could not save him or my mother's older sister who had died many years earlier during the big Spanish flu pandemic after WW I.

Was that the Houston WC game? I recall that. I think that was just absolute frustration on his part after his gaffe a year earlier was still weighing heavily on him.

Words fail to express how much I'd hate this...

2017 NFL Mock Draft: Browns take Myles Garrett, trade 4 picks to Pats for Garoppolo
by Will Brinson

Browns send:

• 2017 1st round pick (No. 12 overall)
  • 2017 2nd round pick (No. 33 overall)
  • 2017 2nd round pick (No. 52 overall)
  • 2018 2nd round pick (TBD, Cleveland’s original)

Patriots send:

• QB Jimmy Garoppolo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-browns-take-myles-garrett-trade-4-picks-to-pats-for-garoppolo/

2017 NFL Mock Draft: Browns take Myles Garrett, trade 4 picks to Pats for Garoppolo

by Will Brinson

Browns send:

• 2018 2nd round pick (TBD, Clevelands original)

Patriots send:

• QB Jimmy Garoppolo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-browns-take-myles-garrett-trade-4-picks-to-pats-for-garoppolo/

This is worse than dick cancer.

by Will Brinson

Browns send:

Patriots send:

• QB Jimmy Garoppolo

That guy is on crack if he thinks the Browns will give up that much for Garropolo, or if it's somehow "fair". Not even sure if Sashi would give up that much if Bill offered us Tom Brady, at this stage of his career. Must be a Patriots fan. Not as bad as the Hershel Walker trade, but close.

Another one of the lame-brain responses "those Browns have lots of picks, they're just dying to throw them away on a backup quarterback". Especially since we just "bought" a second round pick off of Houston.

EDIT: LOL, didya read some of the comments on the article? Seems my initial observation was dead on. :)

"Brinson is eating peyote by the handfuls. This guy is spiraling into dementia. Biggest pile of dung since Blue the Ox."

"This dude is smoking crack.........why not just throw in the Brown's next 3 1st round picks........plus "One Million Dollars"......at least try to make your article somewhat realistic"

"Lord, switch to decaf and meth is really bad for you"

"Reading that article above makes me want to hang out with Will Brinson. His drug dealers got the good stuff, no question."

by Will Brinson

Browns send:

• 2018 2nd round pick (TBD, Clevelands original)

Patriots send:

• QB Jimmy Garoppolo

I'm guessing at least one of those words would be fuck.

WSS

by Will Brinson

Browns send:

Patriots send:

• QB Jimmy Garoppolo

I honestly don't believe the Browns would give up this much. While I want JG, NOT at the stated cost....Brinson's NUTS!

Mike

A first for Tribinski is too much.

14 games in college? That a hope and prayer choice.

It's probably too much No Doubt. But if it works it's worth everything we spent. We still have all the second round picks and there is always a diamond to be found in the second round rough.

Bigger risk to trade away everything for Jimmy who might fall flat on his ass as an NFL starter on a team that is not the New England Patriots.

WSS

Archived