THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for running him out of Ohio.

Actually....in fact, he was not dismissed until after the Consent Decree was entered in "the move" case. So, technically, for a very brief time, he was the HC of the as yet unnamed Baltimore franchise.

It was Art Modell who did not want him being the HC of his team anymore. He thought he was a public relations liability. He hired the popular (in Baltimore) Ted Marchibroda instead.

So, thank Maryland, not us.

Actually....in fact, he was not dismissed until after the Consent Decree was entered in "the move" case. So, technically, for a very brief time, he was the HC of the as yet unnamed Baltimore franchise.

It was Art Modell who did not want him being the HC of his team anymore. He thought he was a public relations liability. He hired the popular (in Baltimore) Ted Marchibroda instead.

I believe Bill was touted as the "last coach I'll ever hire" at his introductory press conference. More lies from the former owner.

Collins exceeded his draft position and QBs are the gold currency of the NFL.

OK... While both true, they are not to my points. Furthermore I fail to see how either part supports your take.

Butticheck aliented the media, the fans, the team, with

his arrogant, glib smart mouth.

He grew up, got counseling on how to be a human being coach,

and the rest is history. Which reminds me, our friends' daughter owes

me a rematch bet that the pats will lose.

I figure to get my ten bucks back. dammit.

Pends on the value Pats gain & player that Bill wants to slide to in draft. Guess who drafts at #13?..Zona (noway JG wins there)& Palmer is packing. Think the Broncos #20 & Texans#25 a QB away? Bill's lab awaits after SB. He's the best dangler out there, but also says who they'll dangle.

If Bill can get a first round pick for Jmmy- more power to him.

Well, I dont know the first thing about ass rape so I will leave that to the experts like you.

52 is not going to get it.

Really? Matt Cassel played an entire season, and Bill traded him to the Chiefs- along with Mike Vrabel for the #34. So somehow a guy who has two starts in the NFL is worth more than that? The #52 and a fifth rounder is plenty in my book.

Collins exceeded his draft position and QBs are the gold currency of the NFL.

Glad you mentioned GOLD. Because IF Garropolo does pan out, he's gong to want plenty of it come 2018. And if he sucks, the team that trades for him will have wasted a high pick for a one year rent-a-player.

Well, Collins could have been drafted in the 1st round the way he has played. The reason why the Browns got him so cheap is because he wanted a big contract and was beginning to create a distraction. Also, Collins wouldnt do as he was coached. Atty somehow thinks that Belichick is the boogey man is out to screw the Browns when they got a steal if Collins works out.

Collins was worth way more than 96, but Collins is not a QB. Now we are in a whole different market. Look at the money Sam Bradford got and we have seen his upside. Garopolo looked ready to replace Brady. No way Garapalo is given away like Collins.

Again- Bradford is an experienced starter, not a two game wonder. Went to a team with playoff aspirations. Need I mention it backfired on the Vikings? The only reason Bill will (probably) part with Jimmy is because he's got a bunch of UFAs that are either going to walk, or get paid. they've got around $9 million in cap space, and Hightower's new contract will eat up about all of that. & Bill is taking a hell of a risk Brady won't get hurt. It's not like Bill can hold other teams hostage over this. The likely landing spot is to a team that thinks they can win now- (um like the Vikings did), not a rebuilding team like the Browns. SMART teams know they can low ball the Patriots- because Garropolo will be a UFA 2018, that's when the real bidding would start. So from the Browns perspective, they can sure as hell wait the Patriots out- unless they're 100% convinced Jimmy is the real deal. If they're not- let someone else pay an inflated price.

Suppose we trade the #12 pick to Pats for JG. The way to look at this is, "How do you feel about the Browns drafting JG at 12?" That's essentially what we're doing. Instead of drafting a rookie QB at 12, we'd be using that pick to basically select a QB from another team. I don't know if I'd rather have one of the rookies over JG...I really don't. I definitely feel like time isn't on our side, and if we draft one of the top 3 rookies, do we really throw him in on day 1? I doubt it. I don't think it'd be because we're afraid of "ruining the young guy", rather I think we need WINS. What's the quickest way for us to win games? Maybe this vision is short-sighted. Maybe we trade for JG who does "pretty good" and helps us win 6 games, but that's his peak. I don't know. Perhaps we package a group of picks that DOESN'T involve any of first rounders, and trade for JG AND draft a young guy.

This is pretty crazy. I won't lie, Dabo Sweeny's statement about Browns passing up on Watson would be like passing on Michael Jordon definitely makes me think. On one hand, what does Sweeney know about NFL QB's? On the other, it would KILL our franchise if we screwed up this draft.

Mind...racing...

No, when Belichick 86ed Kosar the city came unglued.

What does one have to do with another? The Kosar thing came 3-4 years before the "move" thing. And yes, there was an uproar over it because BB blew up a promising season by dumping Bernie and putting Todd Philcox in charge. So, you make my point.

The Kosar thing caused a lot of bad public relations concerning BB. So those several years later, Modell....who obviously had his own bad public relations issue, said...I don't need BB making things worse here in Baltimore.

Did you guys like the movie draft day?

The fictional dickhead head coach from Jacksonville who got ass fucked? Yeah, that's the Browns.

Yes, that is what BB is trying to do to the Browns FO (and maybe those of other teams). Our guys would be idiots for falling for it.

Cassel had 2 teams after him Denver and KC. Vrabel had a year or two left in his career and was starting to fade in NE. When Cassel took over for Brady NE changed the offense to a more run oriented attack. NE was a top 5 running team with Cassel in 2008 after Brady throwing for 50 tds in 2007. Garropolo can make all the throws and ran the same offense as Brady. His arm looks strong and his passes were sometimes better than Bradys.

Garrpolo looked ready to start this season.

See...you really are sounding more and more like a Steeler fan. They all think that you can replace a Hall of Fame level coach or player with a guy just as good.

They thought that Mark Malone would be just as good as Terry Bradshaw.

The thought the guy running their defense now is just as good as Dick LeBeau.

My idea is this: The Pats should keep JG. After all, if TB goes down, JG will turn out to be just as good...in the minds of Pats fans like you.....guh, guh...guh.

Just like the draft which is a bigger gamble.

Garropolo has acclimated to the NFL level. How many college guys never make that transition? There is no break in period with Garrapalo.

Bradford stinks. His body of work is a train wreck of being over paid, not delivering and injured. Bradford fetched a 1st and a 4th. Garropolo is worth no less than a 1st round pick in a draft year slim on QBs. The market for trading him is this year. Belichick will also trade Garoppolo because he does not want a QB controversy played out in the media on a daily basis like we saw with Farve and Rodgers.
You really think there would be a QB controversy as long as you have Brady? Oi!
The Patriots have $63.2 million in cap space next year, third-most in the NFL behind the Broncos and Buccaneers, according to overthecap.com.
Collins is already gone and Sheard has 1 foot out the door.

Suppose we trade the #12 pick to Pats for JG. The way to look at this is, "How do you feel about the Browns drafting JG at 12?" That's essentially what we're doing. Instead of drafting a rookie QB at 12, we'd be using that pick to basically select a QB from another team. I don't know if I'd rather have one of the rookies over JG...I really don't. I definitely feel like time isn't on our side, and if we draft one of the top 3 rookies, do we really throw him in on day 1? I doubt it. I don't think it'd be because we're afraid of "ruining the young guy", rather I think we need WINS. What's the quickest way for us to win games? Maybe this vision is short-sighted. Maybe we trade for JG who does "pretty good" and helps us win 6 games, but that's his peak. I don't know. Perhaps we package a group of picks that DOESN'T involve any of first rounders, and trade for JG AND draft a young guy.

This is pretty crazy. I won't lie, Dabo Sweeny's statement about Browns passing up on Watson would be like passing on Michael Jordon definitely makes me think. On one hand, what does Sweeney know about NFL QB's? On the other, it would KILL our franchise if we screwed up this draft.

Mind...racing...

If Dabo Sweeney thinks that he knows so much about how to run an NFL team, maybe he should quit his Clemson gig after next year and apply for a HC job in the NFL. I think he would get eaten up.

Collins was worth way more than 96, but Collins is not a QB. Now we are in a whole different market. Look at the money Sam Bradford got and we have seen his upside. Garopolo looked ready to replace Brady. No way Garapalo is given away like Collins.

Actually it's the same market.. just a different product... and market rules dictate that demand play a role in determining price.

If the Pats have set a true floor for Jimmy's value and it is not close to being met, then they'll keep him on the roster in the hope that a truly Bradford-like situation occurs in camp, preseason or early season. Right now such a situation simply does not exist.

But in the end there is always Jimmy's looming contact end. NE is not going pay him Brady money to be a back up for another couple years, so they will take what they can get above, what then becomes, a 3rd-round, compensatory floor.

I seriously don't understand the infatuation with garrapollo. He has the same skill set as Kessler and will if he bust he will set the franchise back 5 years.

If we trade away a high pick and sign him to a huge deal it will take us out of the quarterback market for at least 2 or 3 years. Next year's quarterback class is much better.

I cousins is available in free agency I'm ok spending to get him but we need to keep all of our high draft picks until we are competitive

I am ready for you to start telling the truth any time.

The bitter truth is Bill was right about Bernie... he was on the decline.

The problem was he did not have a "Brady" with which to replace him. Vinnie was a serviceable sub at best as he showed in '94 when we went 9-4 in his 13 starts despite him throwing more INTs than TDs. He led a "Who? Who?" of Offensive players opposite the last great Defense we'd see for 22 years and counting.

Here's the latest example of "yellow" journalism from MKC. Note the tone change from headline excerpt to Jimmy's full quote...

Jimmy Garoppolo on if he'd embrace turning around a losing team like the Browns: 'We'll see when we get there I guess'
HOUSTON -- Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo isn't thinking about being traded to a team such as the Browns just yet, but in a little over a month, he'll likely be the hottest commodity on the trading block.

"To be honest, I really haven't thought about it much,'' he said Wednesday at Super Bowl availability. "It's not even in the back of my mind. We're focused on the Falcons this week. It's a big week for us. It's the biggest game of the year and that's kind of where my mind's at.''

After going 2-0 this year and getting a taste of starting, would he welcome the chance to turn around a losing franchise such as the Browns?

"That opportunity really hasn't approached me yet, so we'll see when we get there I guess,'' he said.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/jimmy_garoppolo_on_if_hed_embr.html

Clearly he's talking about an "opportunity", while she implies his arrival in his new locker room.

While they are not completely dissimilar interpretations due to Jimmy presumably having no real say in his destination, the headline made me react very negatively, while the full quote seems very close to innocent.

But then the headline is what got me to read the article, so score one for Mary Kay... I guess...

Here's the latest example of "yellow" journalism from MKC. Note the tone change from headline excerpt to Jimmy's full quote...

Jimmy Garoppolo on if he'd embrace turning around a losing team like the Browns: 'We'll see when we get there I guess'

HOUSTON -- Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo isn't thinking about being traded to a team such as the Browns just yet, but in a little over a month, he'll likely be the hottest commodity on the trading block.

"To be honest, I really haven't thought about it much,'' he said Wednesday at Super Bowl availability. "It's not even in the back of my mind. We're focused on the Falcons this week. It's a big week for us. It's the biggest game of the year and that's kind of where my mind's at.''

After going 2-0 this year and getting a taste of starting, would he welcome the chance to turn around a losing franchise such as the Browns?

"That opportunity really hasn't approached me yet, so we'll see when we get there I guess,'' he said.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/jimmy_garoppolo_on_if_hed_embr.html

Clearly he's talking about an "opportunity", while she implies his arrival in his new locker room.

While they are not completely dissimilar interpretations due to Jimmy presumably having no real say in his destination, the headline made me react very negatively, while the full quote seems very close to innocent.

But then the headline is what got me to read the article, so score one for Mary Kay... I guess...

I trust Mary Kay about as much as I would trust a fart... I don't!

Decided to look up Jimmy's Air Yards per attempt. He's #20 with 4.17. Better than all our current QBs, but what caught my eye were the QBs around Jimmy...

Player.. Team YDS YAC AirYds AY/Att % of Air Yards % of YAC to Total

Tom Brady NE 3,554 1,752 1,802 4.17 50.7% 49.3%

MattMoore MIA 721 358 363 4.17 50.4% 49.7%

JGaroppolo NE 502 239 263 4.17 52.4% 47.6%

MatCassel TEN 284 72 212 4.16 74.7% 25.4%

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/

One of these things is not like the others... and the other three are all products of the same system.

BEWARE!

It has everything to do with Cleveland running BB out of the state.

You are really dense aren't you? Or you cannot read. BB was fired by Art Modell after his move to Baltimore.

What is it about that statement that you cannot comprehend? Do you need it in pig Latin?

Rumor has it that Kosar was a locker room distraction.

Never heard any such rumor. The problem was simple: Bernie knew how to to run an offense better than BB did at the time.

If you consider that the HC also goes into a locker room...that would be the only sense in which that statement would be correct.

He was not a problem with the players. (at the time...the players had more respect for BK than for BB)

You make my point. Please continue.

Yea, the point is: BB was a PR problem. That was my point.

Several years sounds dramatic but its not accurate. The Browns went 11- 5 in 1994 and to the playoffs. In the first quarter of the 1995 season Model announced he was leaving. February of 1996 Belichick was fired. In a span of approximately 12 months Belichcik went from the playoffs winning vs the Patriots to fired in Baltimore.

BK was let go by BB in mid season 1992. He continued to coach the Browns through the 1995 season. In what world does that not constitute "several years".

But...otherwise ...I agree. By 1994/1995 the BK thing had blown over in the minds of Browns fans. WE were looking forward to having successful years in the future..with BB as HC.

But....apparently it had not blown over in the mind of Art Modell. He did not want to continue with BB as HC of his Baltimore team.

So, again, BB was not run out of Cleveland by Browns fans/media. He was run out of Baltimore by Art Modell.

Again....what is it about this historical fact that you don't get?

Are you trying to be revisionist?

Do you insist that the South won the Civil War...that sort of thing?

I am ready for you to start telling the truth any time.

No one cares what you are ready for. You clearly can't handle the truth.

The Kosar thing happened in the fall of 1993. Not 3 - 4 years but 2.3 years at best before the move.

I said "several". Two and a half years is several. Not sure what point you are trying to make

Belichick did not replace Kosar with Philcox. Testaverde replaced Kosar, but was injured.

Its a good thing that you are not a lawyer. With such stupid, twisted logic as that, you would lose every case.

Vinny was on the team....and yes he was injured. Philcox replaced Bernie...and started for 3 games before vinny was able to get back on the field.

The Browns were 5-2 with Bernie at QB. They went 2-7 the rest of the way.

Philcox lost 3 in a row in that as starting QB....dooming the Browns season

Model called Kraft and told him that he was screwing up hiring Belichick. Who cares what that liar and crook said several years later.

I don't know anything about that. But, its just like I said, it was Modell who dumped BB, not Cleveland Browns fans.

Here is a little hint you may want to learn: a team's fans have NEVER in the history of the NFL fired a coach. It is owners or GMs that do that.

The bitter truth is Bill was right about Bernie... he was on the decline.

But Bernie was 10 times better than Todd Philcox....even in decline. And like I said, the switch to Philcox killed that season.

All because BK changed a play....and scored a TD on it, that BB didn't want him to change. (Probably a "Metcalf up the middle call)

The problem was he did not have a "Brady" with which to replace him. Vinnie was a serviceable sub at best as he showed in '94 when we went 9-4 in his 13 starts despite him throwing more INTs than TDs. He led a "Who? Who?" of Offensive players opposite the last great Defense we'd see for 22 years and counting.

Report: Bears To Make “Strong, Concerted Effort” To Trade For QB Jimmy Garoppolo http://bit.ly/2k0yFww

Bears, 49ers, Cardinals, all could be in mix. Here is one thing: If the Pats do trade him, I would suspect that they would put vast weight on trading him outside the AFC. One reason Browns could be out of the mix

I mean, one other team that could perhaps use him?: The Jets. Could you see the Pats sending him to the Jets?

new-york-jets-memes-back-bitches-fitzmag

Cassel had 2 teams after him Denver and KC. Vrabel had a year or two left in his career and was starting to fade in NE. When Cassel took over for Brady NE changed the offense to a more run oriented attack. NE was a top 5 running team with Cassel in 2008 after Brady throwing for 50 tds in 2007. Garropolo can make all the throws and ran the same offense as Brady. His arm looks strong and his passes were sometimes better than Bradys.

Garrpolo looked ready to start this season. That's your opinion, not shared by many on this board. And so did a bunch of other New England fill in quarterbacks. So is it the QB, or the system?

Bradford stinks. His body of work is a train wreck of being over paid, not delivering and injured. Bradford fetched a 1st and a 4th. By a team desperate to get to the playoffs THAT year, playing in their new pleasure palace. Need way over trumped logic. Any SANE team wouldn't have paid that much- probably no more than a second. Can't see that was WAY overvaluing what Bradford was worth? Looks like that's what you're admitting. Counting on another team being that desperate for Jimmy? LOL, was Ricky Williams worth giving up an entire draft for? Garropolo is worth no less than a 1st round pick in a draft year slim on QBs. The market for trading him is this year. Belichick will also trade Garoppolo because he does not want a QB controversy played out in the media on a daily basis like we saw with Farve and Rodgers. Gip has it right, unless Brady gets hurt there's NO qb controversy. And regarding 2018, if the 49ers could trade Montana, you think no possibility Bill wouldn't trade Brady if he's so damn confident Garropolo is the REAL DEAL?

The Patriots have $63.2 million in cap space next year, third-most in the NFL behind the Broncos and Buccaneers, according to overthecap.com.
Collins is already gone and Sheard has 1 foot out the door.

First off- my bad regarding the cap- I was looking at the wrong year on Sportrac. It does bring up an interesting point. Why would Bill dump a pro bowl linebacker in his prime because the doesn't like the way he plays? Really?

So if Bill wants franchise quarterback compensation for Garropolo, there's only a couple ways to decipher Bill's thinking. The first would follow my and Gip's logic- he's really not a franchise QB, and Bellichick is trying to rob another team blind. Or he really IS a franchise qb, and Bill thinks Brady is going to play at a high level forever, LOL- or at least 3 more years, and won't get hurt (both humongous risks in my book) and he can find an adequate replacement in the meantime. If he thinks Jacoby Brissett is an adequate replacement should Brady get hurt- it sure doesn't say much about Garropolo's true value. It would fry my ass beyond belief if we traded the #12 for Jimmy, and Bill drafts another qb with that pick.

First off- my bad regarding the cap- I was looking at the wrong year on Sportrac. It does bring up an interesting point. Why would Bill dump a pro bowl linebacker in his prime because the doesn't like the way he plays? Really?

So if Bill wants franchise quarterback compensation for Garropolo, there's only a couple ways to decipher Bill's thinking. The first would follow my and Gip's logic- he's really not a franchise QB, and Bellichick is trying to rob another team blind. Or he really IS a franchise qb, and Bill thinks Brady is going to play at a high level forever, LOL- or at least 3 more years, and won't get hurt (both humongous risks in my book) and he can find an adequate replacement in the meantime. It would fry my ass beyond belief if we traded the #12 for Jimmy, and Bill drafts another qb with that pick.

Hell, maybe BB thinks that Jacoby Brisset is a better future option for the Pats than JG,

But, actually, what I think it is is that BB will retire when TB retires....and he doesn't really give a shit who the future QB of the Pats is going to be.

(though....I would think that even if BB would retire as HC....he could still stay on as like Director of Football Operations or some such title....what he is doing now in addition to coaching).

He may be looking more to his future as a GMish only...not as HC....and he wants to pile up assets. He is willing to let JG go for the right price....so he will have something to play with in the future. Remember, they lost their first round pick last year to Deflategate. He may want to recoup that pick somehow....and he will puff up JG (who he may not have that much faith in anyway)

Decided to look up Jimmy's Air Yards per attempt. He's #20 with 4.17. Better than all our current QBs, but what caught my eye were the QBs around Jimmy...

Player.. Team YDS YAC AirYds AY/Att % of Air Yards % of YAC to Total

Tom Brady NE 3,554 1,752 1,802 4.17 50.7% 49.3%

MattMoore MIA 721 358 363 4.17 50.4% 49.7%

JGaroppolo NE 502 239 263 4.17 52.4% 47.6%

MatCassel TEN 284 72 212 4.16 74.7% 25.4%

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/

One of these things is not like the others... and the other three are all products of the same system.

BEWARE!

Watched some of the Pats- Miami game. Plenty of dinks & dunks, and nice clean pockets to throw from. We both know any qb can look great doing that. If boo wants to say Cassel was a product of changing the game plans to protect Cassel, same could be said about changing Jimmy to Captain Checkdown. Oh, no mention Garropolo got dinged in the second game either.

Archived