THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the point is with the pick discussion is that we have the ammunition to get JG if he's the guy we truly want. If we determine, with the limited sample size, that JG presents as a better prospect than any of the rookies, then I'd say we'll do just about whatever it takes to get a deal done. A potential deal could look something like picks from this draft, next draft, and possibly players on our roster (Gordon comes to mind if there's belief he'll be reinstated again. Remember what Patriots did with Moss?). Any conjecture on the AMOUNT of picks is just that...conjecture. We're hearing all kinds of crazy talk, and we're even hearing silly stuff like the Bears or 49's using their first pick to get him. When has a QB with a handful of played QUARTERS ever gone for the second or third pick? I certainly can't think of one, and I honestly don't think we'll see it here. If a deal does end up costing the Browns the 12th pick of the draft, so be it. That would mean we still get to take our top rated player on the board, PLUS a QB that would be ready to start day 1. If we take any other QB from the draft, the likelihood of him starting right away is slim, although not impossible. Not many expected Wentz to start the season, and we all know what HE did in his first game.

Mitch Trubisky recently was quoted as saying, "I would love to be the Browns' savior", or something close to it. I know it technically shouldn't matter that a prospect is a hometown kid, or that he wants to play for us, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't sway me a bit. Maybe it's because the story would be so amazing. The love for the team would be so real. The thought of "what if he WAS the guy who turned it around, and how much FUN it would be"....too much to ignore.

Back to JG. What appeals most to me about him is how quickly he gets rid of the ball. I was slightly dismayed about his long ball accuracy, but that generally takes a bit of time to develop with WR's. From what little I've seen, JG surveys the entire field. He doesn't lock in on one guy. He's not afraid to challenge the middle, and he will pick up yards with his legs and slide. He has experience playing in the elements, and again, he can play DAY ONE. If we draft a QB, who the hell is going to start week 1? Kessler? I guess I'd be ok with that, in fact there's a small part of me that actually WANTS to see it. As I've said before, Kessler mostly played better than most expected, and that experience he received is worth SO much. Players get better all of the time, perhaps Kessler gets better? It's a long shot, but it's not impossible.

I hope we get JG, and I really hope we get it done quickly. I REALLY don't see that happening, but who really knows just what the hell will go down? Doesn't free agency and trading open up next week? Perhaps this time next week we have our QB of the future, and we can turn our attention to other positions of need.

Per Reports this morning from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Pats have told people that Garropolo will NOT be made available in a trade.

Of course, immediately people began speculating (rightly in my opinion) that this was merely a negotiating ploy to up the ante for JG.

In other words...don't believe a word BB says. It is all bullshit simply to up the price.

Someone (the Browns) should call his bluff and say " We will NOT be pursuing a trade for Garropolo"

Per Reports this morning from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Pats have told people that Garropolo will NOT be made available in a trade.

Of course, immediately people began speculating (rightly in my opinion) that this was merely a negotiating ploy to up the ante for JG.

In other words...don't believe a word BB says. It is all bullshit simply to up the price.

Someone (the Browns) should call his bluff and say " We will NOT be pursuing a trade for Garropolo"

They should let it leak they are actually now after Cincy's #2 and sit back a bit.

Damn, no more Garappolo for you guys to construct lowball fantasies around? Man, that's got to sting.

I'll give you guys a couple of days to compose yourselves.

So when does the new Mary Kay Cabot AJ McCarron thread start?

I think these were all far more your fantasies than ours, particularly McCarron.

Show where the Bangles have ever said they would be willing to entertain trade offers for him.

Damn, no more Garappolo for you guys to construct lowball fantasies around? Man, that's got to sting.

Translation: We nailed Jimmy's true value...

I hope we get JG, and I really hope we get it done quickly. I REALLY don't see that happening, but who really knows just what the hell will go down? Doesn't free agency and trading open up next week? Perhaps this time next week we have our QB of the future, and we can turn our attention to other positions of need.

Sorry- it's not going to get done quickly, if at all- unless the Browns FO has a Matt Ryan grade on him, which I'd sincerely doubt. They will wait until after the combine & initial FA signing rush. My bet is the waiting will be in force until the draft is in progress, so Sashi & DePo see how the first 11 picks have panned out. The #12 may be more valuable than what they rate Jimmy at.

Seriously J- what's the all fired rush to get this guy? He's not the only option the Browns have.

Tour---The only thing we've learned about Garappolo's true value is that for New England having him on the roster is more important than a low ball trade offer of draft picks and magic beans. I'm guessing your team still has plenty of time to change their minds but that would mean your they make a more serious offer, something none of you see coming.

Gipper---Learn to do a Google search or remain impressively ignorant. Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Jim Lippincott, and Duke Tobin have all spoken openly about the team being willing to listen to trade offers for McCarron last year and their willingness to consider a deal this year. Granted, just like the Patriots the Bengals insist it will take a good offer to interest them, but unlike the Patriots the Bengals haven't closed the door....as you and Mary Kay will soon discover. The Bengals have even opened themselves up to fan criticism by revealing what they turned down in trade last year, a public admission that makes sense only if the Bengals are interested in establishing a minimum bid going forward.

Aggie---No reason for leaks. Marvin says he and Hue speak at least once a week and the combine is less than a week away. Pretty good bet they'll share coffee and donuts some morning.

Tour---The only thing we've learned about Garappolo's true value is that for New England having him on the roster is more important than a low ball trade offer of draft picks and magic beans. I'm guessing your team still has plenty of time to change their minds but that would mean your they make a more serious offer, something none of you see coming.

Why do you persist in thinking sellers alone set true value?

As say in Mecum auctions, "And the bid goes on."

Tour---The seller sets the value first by determining if his asset is to be traded at all. Your Mecum example doesn't apply because the car you came to bid on never left the sellers garage. That said, the sellers lack of interest in obtaining your coveted draft picks and magic beans means you get to keep them.

Gipper---I can top your imaginary radio story about the Bengals not trading featuring the Bengals analyst you don't bother to name. Duke Tobin spoke directly about trading McCarron yet again today and said the Bengals will listen to all offers, but warned any team that inquires about McCarron will quickly learn how much they value him.

Tour---The seller sets the value first by determining if his asset is to be traded at all. Your Mecum example doesn't apply because the car you came to bid on never left the sellers garage. That said, the sellers lack of interest in obtaining your coveted draft picks and magic beans means you get to keep them.

Gipper---I can top your imaginary radio story about the Bengals not trading featuring the Bengals analyst you don't bother to name. Duke Tobin spoke directly about trading McCarron yet again today and said the Bengals will listen to all offers, but warned any team that inquires about McCarron will quickly learn how much they value him.

Whether the Bengals are willing to trade McCarron is not really the issue. Maybe they would...to someone else. The issue is would Mike Brown trade him to the Browns.

And the answer is absolutely not. And the interview I heard was with a guy that worked for Sirius Radio sports and the Sporting News. It was not imaginary. He said that Mike Brown will not get over 1961. Alex Marvez was his name:

http://www.sportingnews.com/author/268-alex-marvez

Gipper---You're wrong. Again. Duke Tobin was asked specifically about trading McCarron to the Browns and after acknowledging how trades within the division aren't "ideal" said the Bengals would listen to any offers. Then he explained how valuable McCarron is to the Bengals and how they'll only trade him if an offer is too good to turn down. So the issue has never been about the Bengals unwillingness to trade with the Browns. Rather, the question is whether the Browns will step up and make a serious bid for any veteran QB that costs more than a single draft pick. You say no. I happily agree.

Gipper---You're wrong. Again. Duke Tobin was asked specifically about trading McCarron to the Browns and after acknowledging how trades within the division aren't "ideal" said the Bengals would listen to any offers. Then he explained how valuable McCarron is to the Bengals and how they'll only trade him if an offer is too good to turn down. So the issue has never been about the Bengals unwillingness to trade with the Browns. Rather, the question is whether the Browns will step up and make a serious bid for any veteran QB that costs more than a single draft pick. You say no. I happily agree.

I am not wrong about what the guy on the radio said. And While Duke Tobin...personell director? may have said that he would listen to any offers.....when it comes to actually trading a QB for the Browns....he had better get the OK from his boss, owner Mike Brown.

He may have different ideas.

And...why would the Browns ...if they wanted him offer more than a single pick for McCarron? Unless you are talking about say a 3rd rounder and a 7th rounder.

What kind of compensation do you think the Bengals will want if they decide they would trade McCarron? (to whomever)

The Mecum example is perfectly applicable because the bidding is going on.

And your shift from "true value" to "value" has been noted.

Gipper---You keep quoting a guy on the radio while hiding behind ambiguities. Garbage in, garbage out. I keep pointing you to statements made by the Bengals director of personell, the head coach, and the owner. As for what it will cost, Tobin made it pretty clear he's going to make it hurt or he keeps McCarron. To which you'll say you weren't interested in McCarron anyway because the Browns can just stay put and draft Trubisky, thereby prompting both of us to laugh and laugh for totally different reasons. Right?

Gipper---You keep quoting a guy on the radio while hiding behind ambiguities. Garbage in, garbage out. I keep pointing you to statements made by the Bengals director of personell, the head coach, and the owner. As for what it will cost, Tobin made it pretty clear he's going to make it hurt or he keeps McCarron. To which you'll say you weren't interested in McCarron anyway because the Browns can just stay put and draft Trubisky, thereby prompting both of us to laugh and laugh for totally different reasons. Right?

Great- so the Bengals have gone fishin' and tossed the line in the water. Apparently they want to pull up a lunker. Just may not be biting this year. From my perspective, I'll let the Bengals keep their bait.

Please get real- there is no way in hell the Browns would trade the #12 pick to the Bengals for McCarron. That's just common sense. Like Sashi is so ignorant he'd let a division rival pick #9 & #12 at his expense? If that's their bar- well it's too high- except for pie in the sky dreaming Bengal fans.

Great- so the Bengals have gone fishin' and tossed the line in the water. Apparently they want to pull up a lunker. Just may not be biting this year. From my perspective, I'll let the Bengals keep their bait.

Please get real- there is no way in hell the Browns would trade the #12 pick to the Bengals for McCarron. That's just common sense. Like Sashi is so ignorant he'd let a division rival pick #9 & #12 at his expense? If that's their bar- well it's too high- except for pie in the sky dreaming Bengal fans.

I don't know that Uma/Oprah said that the Bengals wanted the #12 pick. He didn't say what the Bengals may want. Maybe it was reported elsewhere. But who cares what the Bangles want...they can go walk like an Egyptian for all that matters. Like I said...to me, even if it were possible which it isn't a 3rd rounder would be it. Garropolo would have at least been worth #52. I don't know that I would want to give even #65 for McCarron. Maybe.

The Mecum example is perfectly applicable because the bidding is going on.

And your shift from "true value" to "value" has been noted.

Gip I get...

But not sure why you'd even try...You know better. ?

Gip I get...

But not sure why you'd even try...You know better.

Because Uma's shtick hasn't gotten old yet... that and I gave up Gip for lent...

We either draft Trubisky or go into the season with RG3, Hogan and Kessler, really there's nothing wrong with that either! Hell- I like that even more than JG/AJM.

I don't know that Uma/Oprah said that the Bengals wanted the #12 pick. He didn't say what the Bengals may want. Maybe it was reported elsewhere. But who cares what the Bangles want...they can go walk like an Egyptian for all that matters. Like I said...to me, even if it were possible which it isn't a 3rd rounder would be it. Garropolo would have at least been worth #52. I don't know that I would want to give even #65 for McCarron. Maybe.

I think it got posted somewhere, and not by me- some of these "supposed" draft gurus like Maycock and Casserly are projecting what they would do with Garropolo and McCarron and publishing to the media that's what the Browns should do. I say screw that. Their opinion on the matter doesn't mean any more than yours or mine. They just have a bigger audience. So the Bengals and a few talking heads think McCarron is worth a lot? Great- carry on. I'll give you our compensatory 4th for him. & we both agree no higher than #52 for Wunderkid Jimmy.

A league source told the Cleveland Plain Dealer the Bengals want a second-round pick "at least" for A.J. McCarron.

"We'll listen to whatever anyone is thinking," said the source. "We're not actively looking to diminish our football team by trading A.J. McCarron and that diminishes our football team. It has to be something we feel is valuable enough to warrant doing that." The Plain Dealer believes the Browns will make an offer for McCarron if they can't land Jimmy Garoppolo or Tyrod Taylor, in that order. Browns coach Hue Jackson spent time with McCarron in Cincinnati.

Hoorta---Who said anything about using the #12 for McCarron? Tobin hinted it was going to ask for something that hurt, but I doubt the Bengals trade demands are even close to that. Furthermore, your team doesn't get to decide if the Bengals keep their bait, because the Browns aren't the only team fishing for a new starter. Rather, all the Browns can control is if they trade a draft pick or two that history suggests wouldn't turn out very good even if kept.

Gipper---The Bengals demanded a 1st and a 4th last year, and claim that in return they were offered a 2nd and a sweetener. They won't say which team made the offer but I'm guessing Houston. If true I'm guessing the Bengals were looking for a package of trade compensation of roughly 650-750 points, per the standard trade value chart found almost anywhere. How the Browns would attempt to match that demand is uncertain, but IMO the two most likely scenarios wouldn't even include a 1st round pick in the package. For example, #33 and #142 seems obvious, but of course that's still too much for you guys right? So how about #52 and #65? Still too much? Well now you're just embarrassing yourselves.

Tour---My schtick never gets old. My jokes will still seem fresh and vibrant even when you and choco get tired of policing my grammar or correcting any spelling mistakes I might make.

PoeticG---Isn't it funny how both of us want the same thing for your team? In fact, watching the Browns draft Trubisky in the 1st round is any Bengal fans best case scenario.

Hoorta---Everyone may have an opinion but in this example yours isn't equal to that of Mayock or Casserly. They have expertise and experience that none of the floor moppers and lawyers gathered here will ever have. Simply put, nobody values your opinion enough to pay for it. That said, your obscurity guarantees a week from now nobody will remember how silly your tough guy low baller rant sounded.

Beare---Sounds like McCarron was the Browns 3rd choice, but might have moved up now that New England has pulled Garappolo. So if true, all McCarron needs to move up into the top spot is for the Browns to flail and fail chasing the blacker Tarkenton from Buffalo. That shouldn't take long.

Hoorta---Who said anything about using the #12 for McCarron? Tobin hinted it was going to ask for something that hurt, but I doubt the Bengals trade demands are even close to that. Furthermore, your team doesn't get to decide if the Bengals keep their bait, because the Browns aren't the only team fishing for a new starter. Rather, all the Browns can control is if they trade a draft pick or two that history suggests wouldn't turn out very good even if kept.

Gipper---The Bengals demanded a 1st and a 4th last year, and claim that in return they were offered a 2nd and a sweetener. They won't say which team made the offer but I'm guessing Houston. If true I'm guessing the Bengals were looking for a package of trade compensation of roughly 650-750 points, per the standard trade value chart found almost anywhere. How the Browns would attempt to match that demand is uncertain, but IMO the two most likely scenarios wouldn't even include a 1st round pick in the package. For example, #33 and #142 seems obvious, but of course that's still too much for you guys right? So how about #52 and #65? Still too much? Well now you're just embarrassing yourselves.

Tour---My schtick never gets old. My jokes will still seem fresh and vibrant even when you and choco get tired of policing my grammar or correcting any spelling mistakes I might make.

PoeticG---Isn't it funny how both of us want the same thing for your team? In fact, watching the Browns draft Trubisky in the 1st round is any Bengal fans best case scenario.

Uma: you are making a supposition that any of us here...including the Cleveland Browns may have some interest in McCarron.

To me, McCarron may at best be the 10th option that I would want the Browns to pursue. There are 3-4 QBs in this draft I would prefer, and at least 5-6 other FA options....if you still include Garropolo.

Guys like JG, Taylor, even Mike Glennon and Colin Kaepernick..who they can get without a trade. And a couple of others.

Archived