THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Brown has never made a single trade with the browns. Never, not once. History doesn't dictate the future, but it shows trends.

Has he ever traded with Pittsburgh?

At least we know that the Browns and steelers trade occasionally: Gilbert...and the draft pick trade of a few years ago.

And the Browns did the trade with the Ravens...swapping picks...then choosing poorly with Wimbley instead of taking Ngata.

We got DA from the Ravens...but I think he was a cut, not a trade.

Gipper---Call it fear or not wanting to help, the fact remains that you're the one who stonewalls the trade idea in every post you write. Myself, I embrace the idea. So if there's no trade it's because your team is afraid of sending valuable picks to Cincy.

As for Cutler, I have to assume your team will consider any available starting QB until it finds one of it's own. Furthermore, as the Terrell Pryor example proves, your team is in no position to say no to any player who agrees to play in Cleveland in exchange for a paycheck. 1-15 teams can't afford to be picky. If it helps try thinking of Cutler and the Browns as a marriage of convenience, much like RG3 was. You could do worse, and often have.

And speaking of RG3, you admit he was a mistake and at best a stop gap, yet you keep insisting his presence on the roster of a 1-15 team is meaningful. One of the so-called bad options you say your team still has if it can't convince a better team to trade it's backup QB.

Im still having a hard time on why RG3 didnt make it in the pros.

An absolute stud at Baylor. I would have bet the farm that he would be a star.

Cutler is only 33. If he came at the right price and didnt want a fortune, then why not?

RG has a very difficult time processing information. He is very slow at making reads and recognizing the open receiver. That is his major problem.

Cutler will become 34 at the end of April. As I said, the Browns are not in the market for an "aging" veteran QB. If they get another QB at all out of trade of FA, they will want a younger one....probably 28 max. Otherwise they stick with RG, Kessler, and draft a guy.

Im still having a hard time on why RG3 didnt make it in the pros.

An absolute stud at Baylor. I would have bet the farm that he would be a star.

Cutler is only 33. If he came at the right price and didnt want a fortune, then why not?

Because he wore out his welcome with the Bears? Got hurt a bunch? Is pretty average? We already have Mr. Average RGlass III on the roster if we want cheap mediocre.

Gip is right, Griffin just can't process the NFL game fast enough.

Gipper---Call it fear or not wanting to help, the fact remains that you're the one who stonewalls the trade idea in every post you write. Myself, I embrace the idea. So if there's no trade it's because your team is afraid of sending valuable picks to Cincy.

Well, that is just like your opinion man. It is wrong. Again, read above.....while the Browns have made trades with Steelers/Ravens....Mike Brown has never made a trade with the Browns.

Now....explain why YOUR owner will change his stripes.

As for Cutler, I have to assume your team will consider any available starting QB until it finds one of it's own.

They have two of their own that they would likely be willing to live with far more than Cutler. RG/Kessler.

Again....you just listen to the fantasy that is going on in your own brain. If the Browns wanted a loser mid 30s veteran QB they would have kept McCown.

Furthermore, as the Terrell Pryor example proves, your team is in no position to say no to any player who agrees to play in Cleveland in exchange for a paycheck. 1-15 teams can't afford to be picky. If it helps try thinking of Cutler and the Browns as a marriage of convenience, much like RG3 was. You could do worse, and often have.

Yes....the Browns are in position to do whatever the fuck they want to do. They CAN and will turn down Cutler.

They CAN...but I don't know if they will turn down Taylor/Garropolo and others. They can keep RG and Kessler and draft someone.

And a 1-15 team can certainly be picky. They can't do any worse really...so they have nothing to lose, so they can be picky.

And they may sign Pryor because he is a pretty damned good player. If he hits the FA market, you will see just how much in demand he will be.

And speaking of RG3, you admit he was a mistake and at best a stop gap, yet you keep insisting his presence on the roster of a 1-15 team is meaningful. One of the so-called bad options you say your team still has if it can't convince a better team to trade it's backup QB.

Yes, it is an option....in Hue Jackson's mind. Jackson takes ownership in the RG acquisition. It is like a GM who makes a draft pick. They do not easily give up on them. Hue will not easily give up on RG. He may have faith in RG. I may not, most here may not....and even Sachi Brown may not. But Hue is the coach, and GMs do occasionally do things coaches want to do, so they may keep RG.

Could the FO convince Hue to give up on him? Possibly....if they convince him they have a better option. Such as a Garropolo trade. We can't know what Hue ...or any of the Browns FO thinks about JG, because it is against the rules of the league for a HC or GM etc. to comment on the players that are under contract to another team.

choco--In the grand scheme of things Mike Brown has almost no history of trading with anyone. However, in this example the Bengals have made it clear they're willing to trade McCarron if their demands are met. The reasons aren't secret. The Bengals know McCarron's got the ability to start elsewhere and they know he's not going to stay in Cincy longer than his contract dictates. So the question they face is does McCarron have more value in trade OR as a backup QB. In short, the same question New England is asking itself in regards to Garappolo. And no surprise at all if the answer reached is the same. Complicating matters further, if the Bengals offer McCarron a 1st or 2nd round tender in 2018, and he leaves, the Bengals can get the bulk of what they want in trade compensation without even bothering to trade.

Gipper---You seem to think Hue is an idiot for starting RG3. I won't argue the point.

That said, whenever you describe the type of young veteran QB who would kick RG3 to the curb you describe McCarron and Garappolo, two players you can't belittle or low ball enough.

Seems to me you keep coming back to Trubisky...and passing on Myles Garrett....because you're out of options.

In fact, the only progress you've made is cutting McCown, a player most teams in your circumstance wouldn't have signed in the first place.

Props?

Gipper---You seem to think Hue is an idiot for starting RG3. I won't argue the point.

I don't know about that. RG may have actually been his best option from what was on hand. Of course, RG was not on hand most of the season. He is Mr. Glass...and that is what has a lot of fans down on him. I think he is stop gap at best.

That said, whenever you describe the type of young veteran QB who would kick RG3 to the curb you describe McCarron and Garappolo, two players you can't belittle or low ball enough.

I personally don't think either is the answer for the future for the Browns...but yes, they may be better than RG as pure QBs.

Of course, again, the Browns FO may have other ideas.

Seems to me you keep coming back to Trubisky...and passing on Myles Garrett....because you're out of options.

Well...I come back to Trubisky because I think he has the talent to be a future star. I see Aaron Rodgers potential in him. But that is my opinon. Others share it, other don't.

And I am not down on Garrett....I just perceive QB as the far far greater need for the Browns. The Browns just drafted 2 DEs last year in rounds 2 and 3. So, that position IS manned...though many think Garrett is the best thing since Lawrence Taylor. I am far more skeptical. We here have seen the Barkevious Mingos, Courtney Browns, Kam Wimbley....all first round DEs that have gone nowhere. There is a pessimism on my part.

Now...if they get Garrett at #1, and MT falls to #12 ...that would be a dream scenario as far as I am concerned.

As far as being out of options, no.....MT is my #1 choice...but clearly there are other options.....Watson/Kizer...or someone else later. I just far far prefer the option of MT.

In fact, the only progress you've made is cutting McCown, a player most teams in your circumstance wouldn't have signed in the first place.

Well....at this point NO other team that needs one has made any progress on their QB front. Nothing will happen until the FA period.

The 49ers have done nada. The Cards who may look to replace Palmer have done nada. The Jets...nada. The Bills...may keep Taylor.

The Bears say they want to trade Cutler. Houston may make a change, but they have done nada. Same with Jax...nada. The Redskins have made no move on Cousins either way.

So, other than the Bears wanting to dump Cutler, there has been no dispositive movement by the QB needy teams to resolve their issues. So the Browns are by no means alone in that regard.

The only way I could POSSIBLY see a deal done is the Bengals being 99% sure A.J. completely sucks. Still, I don't see any chance of this happening. I'm not going to say whether or not the kid "sucks" or not, but I will say it's much easier to play QB for a playoff team, and I believe when A.J. played, the Bengals had winning records.

True, but you overlook that AJ's starts came in Cinci's 2015 stretch drive to the playoffs where he game-managed wins over SF and BLT, and narrowly lost to eventual SB Champs, DNV. Then came their narrow, out-of-control loss to PTG in the WC game.

Not a bad showing for a redshirt-rookie. One I liked coming out of college...

Because (Cutler) wore out his welcome with the Bears? Got hurt a bunch? Is pretty average?

Some QBs for all their talent simply aren't good enough... as teammates and/or leaders. Cutler is an "and" in the Jeff George mold.

Gipper---Only a lawyer would argue a player was both a mistake and the best option available at the time in the same breath. My advice? Stop breathing. As for whether McCarron and Garappolo are better "pure Qbs" than RG3, both backups are capable of running offenses built upon pre snap coverage recognition, the very thing RG3 is incapable of doing. In fact, you say RG3 can't even read a defense after the ball is snapped.

But more importantly, both backup QBs are 3 years of NFL development ahead of Mitch "Aaron Rodgers" Trubisky.

As for Myles Garrett, I don't understand why you can't judge him without all of the brownie related baggage. What's Courtney Brown have to do with anything?

I know umad won't back down, but why would he? It's just message board dick-flexing at this point. I'd be willing to bet, however, if roles were reversed and Cincy was the team looking to acquire a QB, that he would be arguing it from the other side.

If Cincy was considering trading for the backup to a middle of the road starter whose playoff record makes Tony Romo look like Tom Brady, he would be the one worried about getting the short end of the stick. Then chances would be good that Gipper would be all for trading within the division to unload a player who is younger and bigger than Andy dalton, but can't beat out Andy dalton.

It's just a matter of perspective, really.

This is about perspective not the division.

RG has a very difficult time processing information. He is very slow at making reads and recognizing the open receiver. That is his major problem.

Cutler will become 34 at the end of April. As I said, the Browns are not in the market for an "aging" veteran QB. If they get another QB at all out of trade of FA, they will want a younger one....probably 28 max. Otherwise they stick with RG, Kessler, and draft a guy.

gip, i agree with you with rg3, however the biggest issue with him even more so than the processing info you stated, is his health...he was not bad at processing the reads during his first yr...why, because he was a scrambling qb and that was his strength. his body is shot, he lost the only thing he can do best and that is move outside the pocket...but why the fuck would we keep him as you say...i say get rid of him..this is all baby hueys fault. he fucked up already during his first yr trying to revive the titanic from the bottom of the ocean sort of speak...i like what you said about a draft guy possibly and kessler.

Gipper---Only a lawyer would argue a player was both a mistake and the best option available at the time in the same breath.

In other words: someone that employs logic.

Because what makes you think that the other options were not even bigger mistakes?

Kessler....rookie, slow feet, slow weak arm.

McCown...older, can't win to help his life.

RG may have been the best of a bad situation.

Logic.

My advice? Stop breathing. As for whether McCarron and Garappolo are better "pure Qbs" than RG3, both backups are capable of running offenses built upon pre snap coverage recognition, the very thing RG3 is incapable of doing. In fact, you say RG3 can't even read a defense after the ball is snapped.

Yes...that is what I said...those guys are likely better. I didn't stutter.

But more importantly, both backup QBs are 3 years of NFL development ahead of Mitch "Aaron Rodgers" Trubisky.

But miles behind in talent. They are backups, and may likely remain backups. MT may become a star.

Why ride a mule when you can ride thoroughbred.

As for Myles Garrett, I don't understand why you can't judge him without all of the brownie related baggage. What's Courtney Brown have to do with anything?

Nothing.....I told you...it is pessimism based on a miserable history.

Garrett may be the next LT or the next Courtney Brown.

MT may be the next Aaron Rodgers, or the next Brady Quinn ( I have readily admitted that).

Allen may be the next Merlin Olsen....or the next Stapuff marshmallow man.

The Browns draftees always seem to turn out to be the latter, not the former.

I know umad won't back down, but why would he? It's just message board dick-flexing at this point. I'd be willing to bet, however, if roles were reversed and Cincy was the team looking to acquire a QB, that he would be arguing it from the other side.

If Cincy was considering trading for the backup to a middle of the road starter whose playoff record makes Tony Romo look like Tom Brady, he would be the one worried about getting the short end of the stick. Then chances would be good that Gipper would be all for trading within the division to unload a player who is younger and bigger than Andy dalton, but can't beat out Andy dalton.

It's just a matter of perspective, really.

This is about perspective not the division.

OK, I will be willing to trade Cody Kessler for AJ McCarron.

Or RG for McCarron. Sure, right now.

If Oprah wants to deal his backup QB, sure, we can make a deal.

If he wants a draft pick....a late 3rd rounder would be the offer.

OK, I will be willing to trade Cody Kessler for AJ McCarron.

Or RG for McCarron. Sure, right now.

If Oprah wants to deal his backup QB, sure, we can make a deal.

If he wants a draft pick....a late 3rd rounder would be the offer.

I wouldn't make either of those deals.

Why would we trade young AJ McCarron for old AJ McCarron? Why would we trade a guy who at least has a 20% chance of still being good for a guy who has a 0% chance?

I wouldn't make either of those deals.

Why would we trade young AJ McCarron for old AJ McCarron? Why would we trade a guy who at least has a 20% chance of still being good for a guy who has a 0% chance?

McCarron is 26, Kessler 23....so its not like there is that big of an age difference.

And are you saying that McCarron's QB skills are no greater than, perhaps less than those of Kessler?

OK, interesting. Lets see if Oprah agrees with you.

Browns52---You're correct about RG3s running ability being his greatest strength. That's what's so odd about Hue making him a starter. You can Google old interviews where Jay Gruden explains why he had no interest in drafting Colin Kaepernick or any other mobile QB to run his scheme. Point blank, said if you're a QB and you run you're guilty of not running the offense. Yet he's talking about the very same scheme Hue put RG3 in charge of.

Royce---If roles were reversed I'd beat the drum loudly for a trade for either backup, not just because I think both are worth the risk, but also because doing so would allow my team to stay put and draft the best player 1st overall. I'll even take it a step further by saying I'd want McCarron over Garappolo due to the dramatically lower cost, both in real dollars and total draft picks surrendered.

TCPO---I like Kessler more than most and I wouldn't think twice about the way he was over drafted. Badly. The only thing important now is you've got your back up QB of the future. As for starting? Sure, why not? If you're not going anywhere Kessler can get you there as well as anyone.

.... at least NOT the Garoppolo we saw last year. If the Browns want THAT Garoppolo....... then they also need to get Bill Belichik, because this QB did what he did because he was carefully guided.

Entirely agree with this it should be obvious to everyone!

Just more of the intelligent analysis that Ghoolie brings to the table.

He is likely dead on the money. Spend 1 and 12 on getting 2 defensive studs and 33 on Tribinsky.

Seriously? #33 on Trubisky....when he is likely to go Top 5?

Again...you proposed a bet, I took you up on it. Are you backing off Jack?

Just more of the intelligent analysis that Ghoolie brings to the table.

He is likely dead on the money. Spend 1 and 12 on getting 2 defensive studs and 33 on Tribinsky.

FIFY...

I guess by contrast to all the horseshit, including the greatest HC of the modern era, if not all time, in a deal seems intelligent.

What did Ghoolie say that was wrong?

Belichick did control Garapolos every move. Garapolo made the most out of it. Garapolo isnt Garapolo if Hue uses him the wrong way.

In this instance? Nothing. However, in the majority of his quoted posts that bleed thru my fire wall...

And if I use a wrench as a hammer, it's still a wrench. We can post axioms all day.

Fire Hue Jackson.

Hire Bill Belichick.

Select Trubisky 1st, 12th, or 33rd overall.

It's good to see the Browns Board 's kung-fu grip on reality is as firm as always.

Sometime Browns fans get over excited, unrealistic. Of course, no matter how bad things may be, we can always take comfort that nothing said on here can match the sheer inanity, vapidity, and fatuousness of the trolls that come here that root for other teams.

Archived