THE BROWNS BOARD

Dog's last day on Friday

bbedward

My mom's dog and really my childhood dog is about to tick over to 15 years old in May.

She's had arthritis for years now and some issues getting around, but has deteriorated so quickly over the last couple of months that she can't even stand up on her own without help and has lost an insane amount of weight - and just the other day developed a new sudden growth on one of her back legs.

The quality of life is just too bad at this point to do anything and she likely has some other stuff going on (possibly a kidney failure or a cancer) that has caused her to lose a lot of weight (and cause the growth). At her age and condition it's not really worth the investigative work or pursuing any treatment.

She's on pain meds but Friday is going to be her last day. Planning on cooking her up a steak and some ice cream or something for her last meal.

It'll be a sad day for me and definitely for my mom as well :(

This is her maybe 5-6 years ago

R8oFnO.jpg

And just 6 or so months ago before she lost all her weight (now her hind quarters pretty much have nothing left to them)

9T1f6u.jpg

She had GDV maybe 7 years ago and an enormous growth on her stomach. We thought we were going to lose her then but she had a successful surgery and made it another 7+ years.

I feel your pain. We had a black lab for 14 years. She was the best dog you could ever have. She went down hill fast also. We had her put to sleep. We were in the room and I cried my eyes out.

Her picture is still my avatar. It has been 3 years and I can't bring myself to change the picture.

Yea we were in the room with her, incredibly sad after 15 years but also relieving in a way to see her in total peace with what she's been going through.

She hadn't really been eating much but before she went she got some beef, ice cream, pita bread (because she's always loved it for some reason). She ate every last bit of it which was cool.

Yea we were in the room with her, incredibly sad after 15 years but also relieving in a way to see her in total peace with what she's been going through.

She hadn't really been eating much but before she went she got some beef, ice cream, pita bread (because she's always loved it for some reason). She ate every last bit of it which was cool.

The best things you can do is give your pets a wonderful life, take good care of them just like they give to you and when it's time do the right thing as you have done.

We had two minature schnauzers who we absolutely adored and when they had problems that they couldn't live with we also had to put them down.

As time passes you will remember all the good times, we do almost every day.

Archived