THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Robiskie at camp

Oldcrow1945

Both of these guys are class individuals. That makes it even more fun rooting for them.

I really like them both also and think they will add great contributions to the browns as time goes on...i am loving mangini's approach he has these guys guzzling down the koolaid already...hehehehe

i am loving mangini's approach he has these guys guzzling down the koolaid already...hehehehe

I can see why. For the rooks, it's all new to them; they know their place, and they're just gonna go with the program no matter what (if Kokingina had drafted some questionable character guys, this may not be the case.) For the vets, I'd imagine that after Crennelphant many of them actually appreciate a coach that projects some degree of actually giving a shit.

Also easily seen... after scoring... he very politely handed the ball to the official. CLASS

I'm pretty sure this is something Tressel tries to make all of his players do. Teaching that 'class,' really.

Heard a snippet of an interview yesterday with Mangi and he was asked something to the effect of "What kind of approach are you going to use on the players to gain their respect"? and he was like ""They need to concern themselves with impressing us". He was pretty adamant about it and his point was it's the players who are fighting for and NFL job here, not vice versa. He meant it toward the whole team, not just the rooks.

I like that stuff, they've created an environment of competition across the board. Now hopefully this won't mean he goes Belichick and starts using Rogers as a tackling dummy (ala Michael Dean Perry) and starts lying to and cutting vets the second he promises them a roster spot.

I don't know, to me Mangini seems like a guy I'd like to play for. If you do your job and put forth the effort you will be appreciated. This guy is the complete opposite of RAC 'n ROLLS at this point and I think that is what most of us wanted.

Oh, and the handing the ball to the ref thing is an OSU and Tressel staple, not just a Robiskie trait.

That's what I'm talking about at the :35 second mark (diving catch in the 4th quarter). Watch Robiskie slow up and position himself in front of the DB so only he could make the play and the DB would have no opportunity to close on him. That's professional stuff, people.

Anybody around here remember Kosar making that statement about Hubbard NOT doing that during a preseason game last year? The point is we have a savvy rookie at the wideout spot. Sounds like an oxymoron but it's not in this case.

Also easily seen... after scoring... he very politely handed the ball to the official. CLASS

The officials surely notice those things too. His old man is going to have plenty to be proud of.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same in the NFL. Ala, Marvin Harrison.

He'll make the old man proud and all the fans proud as well. Class is right on.

I predicted the Colts would snag him in the first, but they must have loved the Donald.

It's funny to me how the local media make him out to be some sort of possession type guy with no athleticism, speed or deep threat ability. Just because the guy is smart, savvy and well schooled doesn't mean he can't flat out ball. I believe Hooley said he scored a TD in just under every five catches in college, and factoring the bad year OSU's passing game and him fighting through injuries last year that's pretty impressive.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same in the NFL. Ala, Marvin Harrison.

He'll make the old man proud and all the fans proud as well. Class is right on.

I hope so...I am getting tired of all this stuff that goes on in the endzone.

Toss the ball to a ref or just set it down.

Same with keeping balls.......keep your 1st and 100th

I just have a feeling this guy is gonna be a fan favorite for years to come.....and actually EARNS it on the field.

DWJ

Robiskie will add a short and medium threat that if ignored will turn into long touchdowns..he is much like a bigger faster brian brennan...and omg how we need that ingredient! ;)

I predict robo to have an outstanding productive nfl career that will surpass crabtree and maclin when its all said and done...

Robo has some great potential. He's producing quite a big hype train here, lets hope it doesnt derail. -_-

Its not that I don't like the guy or anything. In fact, I'm excited about him. But... its just that there's always a chance a rookie wont turn out to be the game-changer he was drafted to be.

It was actually his speed that generated his rise, because all the rest -- great route runner, consistent hands, smart, disciplined -- was already known. When he ran sub 4.5s over and over, and looked great at the Combine, it was clear he was also a ballah.

I don't know Shep. I don't think he's ever run sub 4.5's. He only ran a 4.59 at the combine. Those are not numbers that are going to make you rise.

Guest Aloysius

Just running in the 4.5's was a big win for Robiskie. His 40 time at the Combine ranged between 4.48 and 4.59, and he was clocked somewhere between 4.52 and 4.54 at OSU's pro day.

His 3-cone (6.72) and short shuttle (4.19) times were excellent for a receiver his size, and multiple reports said that his performance during position drills at the Combine was the best of any receiver there.

Just running in the 4.5's was a big win for Robiskie. His 40 time at the Combine ranged between 4.48 and 4.59, and he was clocked somewhere between 4.52 and 4.54 at OSU's pro day.

His 3-cone (6.72) and short shuttle (4.19) times were excellent for a receiver his size, and multiple reports said that his performance during position drills at the Combine was the best of any receiver there.

I suppose you could say it was a big win for him as it solidified his spot as a round 2 guy..... But it's what was expected.

His 40 times coming to OSU was at the 4.5 range and I don't think they expected much less than that at the combine.

If his final official time at the combine would have been sub 4.5 then that really would've been a huge win for him as teams may have made him a first rounder. But the 40 times he averaged were as expected so he was drafted about where he was expected to go.

Guest AdaM
I was watching NFL net during the Combine and they said Robiskie was a riser because he ran very well (in the 4.5 range, they may have said), was fantastic in position drills, caught everything, and killed the cones, etc.

Specifically, I remember him running a sub 4.5 and getting hyped for it... but maybe that was unofficial?

Sounds like the sting of no J.J. will not be so bad this year. Man Robiskie is going to be a best in the red zone!

I was watching NFL net during the Combine and they said Robiskie was a riser because he ran very well (in the 4.5 range, they may have said), was fantastic in position drills, caught everything, and killed the cones, etc.

Specifically, I remember him running a sub 4.5 and getting hyped for it... but maybe that was unofficial?

I think it was mostly what you mentioned earlier Shep. He looked so much more polished that the other WR's at routes, catching the ball, etc. At least that is what I heard and read the most about.

It was funny because he was rated a #1 had he come out his junior year. Then well before the combines a lot of mocks had him going as late a the late 3rd round. But after the combine he was back up to a mid to high second round pick.

But I doubt he was ever considered a late 3rd rounder by NFL teams. The kid is just too smart and too polished for that late in the draft. I think a lot of the media thought he was a late 3rd rounder because of his drop off in numbers and minor injury.

Sounds like the sting of no J.J. will not be so bad this year. Man Robiskie is going to be a best in the red zone!

I agree! I think that could end up being his forte. He's very physical with small corners. Most teams will still want to put their biggest and hopefully best corner on Edwards. This will allow Robiskie to exploit the smaller less talented ones.

It's what happened in Minnesota after Moss got there. They put the biggest and best corner on Moss and it allowed Cris Carter to have big TD grabs.

Being able to fake and cut is more important than speed unless you are flat out slow.

OK...so the guy might not take it to the house in a footrace. So he catches it 14 yards downfileld and manages to tack on 10 more...I am good with that.

I wish more receivers worked on turning the DB around than simply try to run faster.

Being able to fake and cut is more important than speed unless you are flat out slow.

OK...so the guy might not take it to the house in a footrace. So he catches it 14 yards downfileld and manages to tack on 10 more...I am good with that.

I wish more receivers worked on turning the DB around than simply try to run faster.

I'm not sold on big top end speed either. The only time it really comes into play is if you are wanting to seperate in a straight go pattern.

If I've read "May not have the seperation speed" once, I've read it a thousand times. We all know many great ones that didn't have great 40 times. The greatest ever, Jerry Rice.

But the NFL does seem put quite a bit of stock into the 40. I think too much.

Route running and catching the ball is more important.

I wish I could've learned what he was clocked at at 10 and 20 yards as well. I don't remember seeing that at the combine. If someone knows maybe they can let us know.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Here's a nice little tidbit from an interview of Ravens director of player personnel Eric DeCosta:

"We had two, maybe three receivers we liked in the first round but didn’t like the ones available at our pick. We loved Robiskie in Round 2 but the Browns got him before we could. You can’t take your 120th ranked player in Round 3 just to fill a need especially if that player isn’t as good as Marcus Smith."

I'm not sold on big top end speed either. The only time it really comes into play is if you are wanting to seperate in a straight go pattern.

If I've read "May not have the seperation speed" once, I've read it a thousand times. We all know many great ones that didn't have great 40 times. The greatest ever, Jerry Rice.

But the NFL does seem put quite a bit of stock into the 40. I think too much.

Route running and catching the ball is more important.

I wish I could've learned what he was clocked at at 10 and 20 yards as well. I don't remember seeing that at the combine. If someone knows maybe they can let us know.

I just wonder how long it will be before opposing Def. Coords. decide they are having to cover two #1s when they play the Browns.

All I know is that in the Fiesta Bowl, my Longhorns couldn't stop the dude. He was one of my favorite college players.

Besides having a new QB that didn't throw the ball as well as Boeckman did, Robo's number's also suffered due to being dinged during the year as well.

I think he was finally completely healthy for the Fiesta Bowl and it showed.

He's going to be a very good NFL WR. I think he has the potential to be a #1 just as neighbor mentioned.

I'm excited about Edwards, Furrey and Robiskie being the main guys on three WR sets. With Cribbs, MoMass and Patten adding depth.

What a huge improvement from last year's WR corps!

Archived