THE BROWNS BOARD

Wolverine Review

X Men Origins: Wolverine

Fox

PG 13 107 min

As you might know I grew up a DC (Superman, Batman etc) comics fan so I’ve not been immersed in the history of the Marvel group, which includes, among many others, Iron Man, The Hulk, Spiderman and X Men.

I did talk to some aficionados last year who were completely pissed off about the ending of last years offering in this saga.

Apparently somebody got the message and decided to give Hugh Jackman’s popular Wolverine character his own flick.

Well that angle has worked out well at the box office and on the screen as well.

I’ve liked the entire X Men film series and WOLVERINE may be my favorite so far.

You must admit that Wolverine himself is pretty cool. Marvel heroes tend to be either whiners (Spiderman) or tough bastards like this guy.

He’s a nearly ageless mutant who besides the usual superhuman abilities can shoot those deadly Edward Scissorhands blades out of his knuckles. He’s one of many super guys that the military has targeted for induction into an extraordinary fighting force. Well our boy can’t abide the immorality the job requires. His brother, on the other hand, is just fine with whatever dastardly acts he’s asked to perform and therein, my friends, lies the rub.

The rift between the boys reaches a point of no return and the plot expertly winds and twists through many episodes of deceit and action.

Here, everything you’d need to make a superhero flick is top notch.

The characters are vivid, the story intriguing, and the fighting and effects outstanding. There’s no cheap dialogue and no explosions for their own sake.

And the violence is balanced; just rough enough to excite without pushing the rating to an R.

Now if you recall, I’m not familiar with many of the Marvel characters so after each flick I try to find someone who’s a fan of the books to see just how true to the original the film version is.

This time it was a fellow named Nick. While he agreed with me that as a stand-alone motion picture it was done well, as a fan of the seminal work, he was annoyed by the liberties taken with the basic characters. That’s understandable.

I know how cranky I get when directors put a wig on Lex Luthor. It’s almost like a film version of the Bible in which the hero escapes at the last scene. Hmmm I suppose He does when you stop and think about it, but you get the idea.

As a film I thought it was first class. As a strict interpretation of the books, Nick says it falls short. It’s your call folks, but I give it:

A-

WSS

westsidesteve@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 favorite Marvel comic characters are Wolverine and Deadpool, as a matter of fact I collect BOTH of their comics.

So this film was a mixed bag for me.

On one hand, the depth they brought to Logan and seeing his personal hell (though quite different from the comics) was glorious.

Seeing the Blob before and after was a pretty unique perspective.

Special effects were top notch, and if you didn't read the Weapon X comics then you're really going to enjoy it.

I did for the most part.

But man did they ever screw up Wade Wilson as Deadpool. I don't know where to start on that one without sounding like a total comic book fanboy and nerd so I'm not going to go there.

So I took the good with the bad and enjoyed the movie.

B+

My 2 favorite Marvel comic characters are Wolverine and Deadpool, as a matter of fact I collect BOTH of their comics.

So this film was a mixed bag for me.

On one hand, the depth they brought to Logan and seeing his personal hell (though quite different from the comics) was glorious.

Seeing the Blob before and after was a pretty unique perspective.

Special effects were top notch, and if you didn't read the Weapon X comics then you're really going to enjoy it.

I did for the most part.

But man did they ever screw up Wade Wilson as Deadpool. I don't know where to start on that one without sounding like a total comic book fanboy and nerd so I'm not going to go there.

So I took the good with the bad and enjoyed the movie.

B+

That's why I try to consult a fan of the comics if I see one of these.

Thanks!

WSS

For the record:

Wolverine is that good.

If I had not read so may Deadpool and Wolverine/ Weapon X comics it would have easily been an A+.

Anyone not big on comics will love this movie, I did and I am (they stuck with me from childhood).

Archived