THE BROWNS BOARD

Funniest NFL draft story of 2009

Mr. T

The 5-foot-11, 192-pound defensive back worked out for the Pittsburgh Steelers twice and had an official visit with the team. He also had visits with the Dolphins and the Seahawks, and their interest seemed sincere, but the Steelers were so impressed by Carey that they had returned for a second workout just a few days prior to the draft.

Everyone on his father's side of the family is from Pittsburgh, and the anticipation that a member of their family would be wearing the black and gold continued to build. Close to 60 family members showed up for the family's draft weekend gathering, many of them waiving their Terrible Towels, proudly wearing Steelers team jerseys and hats that they've worn for years.

In the beginning moments of the sixth round, the phone rang. The anticipation built to a feverish pitch as Carey learned that he's been drafted ... by the Cleveland Browns, a divisional arch-rival.

So how did his family react?

"They told me, we hope you have a good game, but that you lose — and don't hurt nobody," Carey said with a laugh.

Carey captured the moment well in a message that he sent out through Twitter shortly after our talk.

"Terrible towel $15. Polamalu jersey $65. Season tickets $3,000. The look on his face when his son gets drafted by the Browns ... Priceless!!!"

I was going to post this also, Don had the same "priceless" line as his facebook status, but I figured it might be a privacy invasion or I'd be breaking some sort of Don Carey quota as I've been talking him up a good amount recently.

Anyway, good stuff.

Is it just me or does it sound like Don Carey should be coming soon to a club near you with classics such as Tiny Bubbles and It's Not Unusual 'To Love Someone"?

I think this guy could be a huge coup. I loved the pick right when they announced it cuz I started googling and his size and smarts are astounding. He's also not slow and his college coach from Norfolk State absolutely blows him.

Coach says he loves the stage and is not afraid of anything. He also says that an NFL playbook won't be shit for him and he can pick up and fit into the man/zone schemes in a heartbeat. He also said the reason Carey wasn't recruited any more than he was is because he came out of HS a string bean and about a 150 pounds.

He could be a serious steal and will be a fun guy to watch. I think a common barometer for these picks is that yeah they're smart, but they are also intellectually football sound so they can contribute immediately.

I can see him challenging guys for a starting job right away. If Carey played anywhere else he probably would of been gone before the 6th round.

Genius, pure genius. I'm convinced you copy and paste and get out the pom poms. Are you capable of formulating an opinion my gf's 5 year old cousin couldn't make after a bowl of honey nut cherrios?

Oh Mr. T you are the sunshine of my day, the wind beneath my wings. Your genius flows like rusted kitchen faucet.....bravo!

I do agree though solid pick up by the Browns...and Mack was rated behind both Eric Wood and Max Unger so while I think the Steelers may have given him heavy consideration at 32 they still had him rated 3rd for center prospects.

Genius, pure genius. I'm convinced you copy and paste and get out the pom poms. Are you capable of formulating an opinion my gf's 5 year old cousin couldn't make after a bowl of honey nut cherrios?

Oh Mr. T you are the sunshine of my day, the wind beneath my wings. Your genius flows like rusted kitchen faucet.....bravo!

I do agree though solid pick up by the Browns...and Mack was rated behind both Eric Wood and Max Unger so while I think the Steelers may have given him heavy consideration at 32 they still had him rated 3rd for center prospects.

Like I have said time and time again, your just a little bitch who comes on here thinking that you are superior of all browns fans. so go take a hike and sell some more cell phones. puss!

Carey's very intriguing. Has great athleticism, ball skills, and intelligence; but played at a small school with small school coaching.

The other thing to keep in mind: if you've listened to his conference call after the draft, he was an actual STUDENT-athlete in school. Football wasn't even his top priority. Unlike most guys drafted, he played football so he could go to school - instead of going to school just so he could play football.

It'll be exciting to see what the guy can do once he gets NFL coaching and can focus on football 100%. His upside is virtually boundless and he could prove to be an absolute steal that late in the draft.

As I've already stated in another thread, I think he has real potential to be something special in a couple years.

You inbred hicks are becoming the personification of the word hypocracy.

If the shoe was on the other foot and it was some lifelong browns fan who was drafted by the steelers you'd be laughing your asses off as well.

And you're damn right we pound our chest in good times and in bad, unlike the 80% steeler fanbase who are as fairweather as they come.

I've always pulled for the browns to be a good team again and get the Rivalry between the STEELERS and the browns back to where it was decades ago. But, when you finish a season with a losing record there is no reason to "thump your chest" unless you want to look like an idiot. When the STEELERS have had a bad year, I still love my team, but I don't act like they are that great when they are not. Many of you guys talked like you were the best team in the league when there was two teams worse than you, the Dolphins and the Lions. Just sayin, It aint necessary to have your head so far up your asses when it was obvious your coach and team were sucking ass.

As far as fairweather fans, they are not from Pittsburgh, they are just bandwagon fans to begin with. They are all over America. Glad they like our team, but Fukem, they are not the kind of fans I care for.

You inbred hicks are becoming the personification of the word hypocracy.

If the shoe was on the other foot and it was some lifelong browns fan who was drafted by the steelers you'd be laughing your asses off as well.

And you're damn right we pound our chest in good times and in bad, unlike the 80% steeler fanbase who are as fairweather as they come.

Do you really believe this shit? Seriously? If the Steelers wanted Carey don't you think they would have made a point to sign him? He could have been made a priority FA signing but they chose to sign others guys via that priority. I'm not saying Carey is a bad pick up, I already stated it was a solid pick up but to be drafted is to be drafted and if the Steelers aren't going to pick him up I would hope someone else would Stains or not. I also don't know one fair weather Steeler fan, not a one so I'm not sure what alternate reality you reside but you may want to try a little harder when evaluating a fan base because EVERY BASE has it's diehard following and a casual following and our DIEHARD fan base is as strong as any other fan base in the NFL. The whole fair weather bit is old and tired. And Mr. T you're laughable, have you attended college? do you know what a college job typically entails?

And Inspecta pound that chest all you want because in the end you're still going to get run over twice a season.

LOL...........after he's gone and the drafts over he was rated behind two other guys, yea right. And Unger, their guy, went at what pick after being passed up by Pissburgh for Ziggy the Hood who is a DL projected rotational guy. Yea, no need for a OL, especially center, after Big Gay Ben get his nuts torn off by defenses last year.

Grow up dickweed and peddle your bullshit elsewhere.

Really how long do you guys think you can continue you're winning streak? the decade is almost over, and thus the tide will be turning pretty soon, if you look back at the history of this rivalry it swings from decade to decade. You guys are fortunate that we have made horrendous choices with our coaches/GM's.

Do you really think there is some innate reason why the steelers haven't beaten the browns recently? Wake up dude, the pendulum swings.

The pendulum swings, but certainly not in the browns direction for the past 15 years...although you have had the draft picks and free agents, over and over and over and over and over... to produce something but ended up stinking the place up.

The STEELERS should be competing for the top spot in our division for the next three years with the team we have presently. After that, I would still put my money on the STEELERS because of the coach, owners, and the direction we take in free agency and the draft. Hopefully you guys can step it up and actually be a team in our division that is not in the basement most every year. You made some good moves this offseason. The new coach is light years ahead of Romeo. I would still put my money on the STEELERS beating you both games this year.

LOL...........after he's gone and the drafts over he was rated behind two other guys, yea right. And Unger, their guy, went at what pick after being passed up by Pissburgh for Ziggy the Hood who is a DL projected rotational guy. Yea, no need for a OL, especially center, after Big Gay Ben get his nuts torn off by defenses last year.

Grow up dickweed and peddle your bullshit elsewhere.

We won a Superbowl with that O-line. Perhaps you should look at your own BS. This was a great draft for both of our teams.

We won a Superbowl with that O-line. Perhaps you should look at your own BS. This was a great draft for both of our teams. FOS

ROF,LMAO.

The Browns dynamically improved their defense and their offense, and special teams.

The Steelers added some depth.

Whoopie doo, Steelers !

We won a Superbowl with that O-line. Perhaps you should look at your own BS. This was a great draft for both of our teams. FOS

ROF,LMAO.

The Browns dynamically improved their defense and their offense, and special teams.

The Steelers added some depth.

Whoopie doo, Steelers !

You should pay attention. You won't sound so slow.

Depth is key and something you could use. We already have the core team that won us another Superbowl and now our RB from our last draft along with added power on the lines, RBs, WRs, and special teams. You picked up some good players in the draft, but until you do anything with them, they are just rookies. Potential, yes, results, no. Thump your chest Cal. You are one of those I was talking about.

Sorry FOS....i think sometimes people allow the oranges colored glasses interfere with reasoning.

I understand what you are saying.

Its very simple, the stoolers fans who post here Suck it so bad and in life, they have nowhere else to go.

I believe they have had their ego's bruised by Mangenius!! Mangenius vs Stoolers 1 - 0 :D

Guest Aloysius

Unger's not at all a fit for the Steelers' offensive line, so any report saying that Pitt had him rated higher than Mack is complete bs.

That said, I don't get the logic of saying we somehow stole Carey from the Steelers. They drafted two corners before we took Carey, so there was little chance they were going to take Carey in the 6th or 7th round.

Hopefully, he'll show them they made a huge mistake in passing on him.

Unger's not at all a fit for the Steelers' offensive line, so any report saying that Pitt had him rated higher than Mack is complete bs.

That said, I don't get the logic of saying we somehow stole Carey from the Steelers. They drafted two corners before we took Carey, so there was little chance they were going to take Carey in the 6th or 7th round.

Hopefully, he'll show them they made a huge mistake in passing on him.

What do you mean he isn't a fit? He has great position flexibility and several coaches have said they tried trading up in to the second round to draft him. Why doesn't he fit in to the Steelers scheme? I personally didn't want him at all but a few coaches have now said they had both Wood and Unger rated ahead of Mack. I'm only repeating what I've read.

AND I love the Corners we drafted they should both contribute immediately and Burnett is one hell of a ball hawk and punt returner. We needed DB depth more than the depth Carey would have provided. Lewis the other corner is a huge DB with great strength. I wouldn't change a thing about the Steelers draft.

Guest Aloysius

I'd like to see quotes from those coaches.

Unger doesn't seem to be a good fit because he's a finesse, zone-blocking lineman who admitted that Haloti Ngata used to kill him in practice and got destroyed by Raji & Brace at the Senior Bowl. Unless the Steelers are hiring Alex Gibbs to be their OL coach and/or are moving out of the AFC North, I don't see how he's at all a fit for your squad.

Love how the guy moves, but I have a hard time believing that he was rated higher than Mack on the Steelers' draft board. Maybe Wood, but not Unger.

I'd like to see quotes from those coaches.

Unger doesn't seem to be a good fit because he's a finesse, zone-blocking lineman who admitted that Haloti Ngata used to kill him in practice and got destroyed by Raji & Brace at the Senior Bowl. Unless the Steelers are hiring Alex Gibbs to be their OL coach and/or are moving out of the AFC North, I don't see how he's at all a fit for your squad.

Love how the guy moves, but I have a hard time believing that he was rated higher than Mack on the Steelers' draft board. Maybe Wood, but not Unger.

Like I said it's just what I read. I'll try and dig up the link from my message board at some point tonight or tomorrow. I know for a fact they had Wood rated higher and I'm pretty sure Unger as well. If you've ever tried following Tomlin you'd read that he LOVES his position flexibility and Unger possessed that flexibility. I'll try and dig up the link.

Guest Aloysius

This is from TFY Draft, which is run by Tony Pauline, SI's draft guru:

It's becoming more apparent that the Pittsburgh Steelers are leaning towards an offensive lineman with their pick in round one. We alerted you to the teams affection towards Phil Loadholt and another, expected name has surfaced in conjunction with the team. Sources have told us Kevin Colbert, the teams Director of Football Operations, is hoping to pull the trigger on Alex Mack at the end of round one and is really excited about the Cal center.

Could be pre-draft disinformation, but the specificity of the report suggests it very well may be accurate info.

This is from TFY Draft, which is run by Tony Pauline, SI's draft guru:

Could be pre-draft disinformation, but the specificity of the report suggests it very well may be accurate info.

Everything pre-draft is smoke and mirrors and you of all people should know and understand that best. I've read on more than one occasion Eric Wood was rated ahead of Mack and Loadholt wasn't on the radar at all in round 1 or 2 from what I've read.

That sort of says it all to me...................................................

But hey, if this guy was in the war room with the coaches and they said they liked Wood and Unger better, you have to believe he is telling us the truth. Especially after the fact.............................LOL

Good find Aloy.

That sort of says it all to me...................................................

But hey, if this guy was in the war room with the coaches and they said they liked Wood and Unger better, you have to believe he is telling us the truth. Especially after the fact.............................LOL

Good find Aloy.

What part of links were posted on my steeler board confirming what I'm saying don't you understand? Hey if it makes you feel better to think Mack was the most coveted player in round one fine. I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm just posting what I've read and the Steelers certainly wouldn't blow smoke POST draft sooooo hey sleep tight.

Archived