THE BROWNS BOARD

50 top college quarterbacks that did not pan out in the NFL.

mjp28

An amazing but not really uncommon fact.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1126774-50-top-college-football-quarterbacks-who-didnt-pan-out-as-pros

I hate slideshows. All they are is an excuse to pound your brain with advertizing. If you can just post the list that would be great.

Yeah or they want you to sign up for even more apps or other garbage to plug up your email boxes.

I did quickly go through all 50 listed there, forgot about a few of those old college QB stars!

• 2 weeks later...

An amazing but not really uncommon fact.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1126774-50-top-college-football-quarterbacks-who-didnt-pan-out-as-pros

Actually, a few of these may not be apt:

Byron Leftwich didn't do that badly as a pro. over 10K yards and 58 TDs...plus took the Jags to the playoffs

Chad Pennington had a very productive pro career...11 years, almost 20K yards, 102 TDs

Jeff George didn't live up to his #1 status, but he played a lot, and produced a lot

12 years, over 27,000 yards (more than both Sipe and Kosar)

154 TDs (this is the same as Sipe, more than Kosar)

Rex Grossman took his team to a Super Bowl.

Michael Vick had a very productive career, cut short somewhat by his off field problems. Even with missing some years to prison, he still played 13 years, with @25000 yard and 134 TD passes.

And I still say that with Tim Couch....he took a franchise from being only a paper team to the playoffs in 4 years, and his career cut short by injuries,

But yes, otherwise, some big time busts in there.

Oh....and they had Alex Smith in there.. That is clearly off base to call him a bust.

oh joy a loser parade. Each click makes one more depressed and/or whatever that german word is for being happy to see people fail.

By the way, IF Brady quinn is not in that list he should be.

EDIOT: IF Brady quinn was ever considered a top 50 anything i will be ashamed at the world.

Strange list in that Brady Quinn was 43 or 9 depending on how you read the list.

Quinn's fall from one of the best in college to backup was particularly fast.

After being drafted in the first round by Cleveland in 2007, he found himself backing up Tim Tebow in Denver last season.

For a man who set over 30 school records in his time at Notre Dame, Quinn's career has, thus far, been less than expected.

......and Quinn had 6' 6" Jeff Samardzija as his main man at ND who then got smart and fled to the MLB and a less violent life.

Alex Smith and Michael Vick on the list is a joke. They may have fallen short of overall expectations but they still have had a lot of success.

Watching KC choking instead beating PIT tonight could have helped Alex Smith's resume as a good or elite QB.

No doubt Killer Vick had loads of talent but when you make a list I guess you can have your own parameters. Personally I think he's an ahole.

Watching KC choking instead beating PIT tonight could have helped Alex Smith's resume as a good or elite QB.

No doubt Killer Vick had loads of talent but when you make a list I guess you can have your own parameters. Personally I think he's an ahole.

Well, OK, but that is different than "is he a good football player".

OJ was a great football player, one of the best ever. Armed robbery now has him in prison. (not to mention suspected in the double murder)

Do you know of any good NFL QB that did not play college football?

Wow almost a trick question like maybe some Canadian that went into the CFL route to the NFL or some ancient Canton Bullgog or other headstrong QB.

Unlike the MLB, golf, tennis, maybe soccer and of course the tough one NFL you don't get ANY LeBron or Kobe types jumping from high school directly to the NFL....even Freshman Mo Clarett got screwed out of his opportunity to play pro ball after winning the NC for the BUCKEYES.

He could play but got smashed by the NFL machine that did NOT want their FREE minor league system disrupted. Pretty much guarantees that route is closed.

Wow almost a trick question like maybe some Canadian that went into the CFL route to the NFL or some ancient Canton Bullgog or other headstrong QB.

Unlike the MLB, golf, tennis, maybe soccer and of course the tough one NFL you don't get ANY LeBron or Kobe types jumping from high school directly to the NFL....even Freshman Mo Clarett got screwed out of his opportunity to play pro ball after winning the NC for the BUCKEYES.

He could play but got smashed by the NFL machine that did NOT want their FREE minor league system disrupted. Pretty much guarantees that route is closed.

My point was that every good pro football QB also played college football.....so, ergo, in response to a post above, it would be superfluous to list every good Pro QB that played college football because that would include every single one.

My point was that every good pro football QB also played college football.....so, ergo, in response to a post above, it would be superfluous to list every good Pro QB that played college football because that would include every single one.

And every bad even terrible NFL QB also played NCAA football. The only differential there might be "most" good or great QBs probably played for a P5 conference or other better school and the forgettable ones from lesser schools.

Of all positions in football the QB might be the hardest to predict greatness or unmitigated flops.

To contrast that a 6' 6" 320 lb. tackle from for example the B1G or SEC who has any accreditation at all will probably make it in the big time.

And every bad even terrible NFL QB also played NCAA football. The only differential there might be "most" good or great QBs probably played for a P5 conference or other better school and the forgettable ones from lesser schools.

A lot of good QBs have come out of "smaller" schools. A lot of bad QBs have come out of bigger schools. Not sure it is fair to generalize.

Of all positions in football the QB might be the hardest to predict greatness or unmitigated flops.

Sure.

To contrast that a 6' 6" 320 lb. tackle from for example the B1G or SEC who has any accreditation at all will probably make it in the big time.

Maybe, but there are some flops there as well: read: Cam Erving.

• 5 months later...

Alex Smith and Michael Vick on the list is a joke. They may have fallen short of overall expectations but they still have had a lot of success.

After looking this list over again maybe 50 sounds better than 48 or 45?

.....and Vick is still an ahole, penalty points for him. So is that two faced OJ.

After looking this list over again maybe 50 sounds better than 48 or 45?

.....and Vick is still an ahole, penalty points for him. So is that two faced OJ.

How about this: of the several high draft pick QBs of the last few years....how many of them could join the list of 50 biggest bust QBs? Or how many already have?

Actually....I think I will take this over to the main board and start a thread on it.

• 3 weeks later...

How about this..... How many QB's that are in the "College Football Hall of Fame" are in the PRO FOTTBALL HALL OF FAME?

How about this..... How many QB's that are in the "College Football Hall of Fame" are in the PRO FOTTBALL HALL OF FAME?

Do you know? Is this Trivia? Or are you just inquiring?

Provide the list of the QBs that are in the College Football HOF and we can match them up.

(or...better yet, do the research.....you asked the question, so you are responsible for providing the answer....if it is not a trivia question. But, remember, when you ask a trivia question, you must know the answer)

Archived