THE BROWNS BOARD

2017 Free Agents

darren15

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vince Young has decided to make a comeback in the NFL.

I'm not sure there's much demand for a washed up 34 year old QB.

Maybe he's converting to WR... ;)

Don't know anything about Bennett, but that is the best answer I've ever read from a football player!!

Browns want character too and most other TE's can't match this from a post SB interview:

"Bennett then further explained he why he won't "stick to sports" and what he is doing within the community.

"Shut up and stick to sports!! Enjoy the low hanging fruits Marty. Don't climb to the top of the Apple tree and taste that high hanging fruit," he tweeted. "This is part of the reason why I'm working to build Art Centers and Computer Labs for kids to learn coding. I'm not building gyms.

"I'm not interested in building football fields or doing football camps. I'm interested in doing film camps and coding camps.

"You don't have to be good at sports young man. Go upstairs and finish practicing that trombone. You don't have to rap. You can score films."

Interesting take on FA signings. I've plucked our our activity, but the explanations the writer provides aren't copying...

Jake Ellenbogen's 2017 top positional players Free Agency prediction

Jake Ellenbogen February 17, 2017

It's almost that time of year again! Free Agency period is less than a month away and here are my free agency predictions for this year's class. I will be predicting the top five-to-seven players per position, their future team, contract and listing their Pro Football Focus positional grade to give you you an index of the players value.

QB:

Tyrod Taylor, 27 years old, Buffalo Bills

PFF Grade: 11th

FA Destination: Cleveland Browns

Contract: 4 years, $80 million

WR:

Terrelle Pryor, 27 years old, Cleveland Browns

PFF Grade: 31st

Contract: 5 years, $47 million

OG:

Austin Pasztor, 26 years old, Cleveland Browns

PFF Grade: 30th

Explanation: Contract: 4 years, $20 million

DT:

Nick Fairley, 29 years old, New Orleans Saints

PFF Grade: 34th

Contract: 3 years, $17 million

CB:

Logan Ryan, 26 years old, New England Patriots

PFF Grade: 16th

Contract: 5 years, $73 million

SS:

T.J. McDonald, 26 years old, Los Angeles Rams

PFF Grade: 58th

Contract: 4 years, $20 million

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2017/02/17/Jake-Ellenbogens-2017-top-positional-players-Free-Agency-prediction

It's almost that time of year again! Free Agency period is less than a month away and here are my free agency predictions for this year's class. I will be predicting the top five-to-seven players per position, their future team, contract and listing their Pro Football Focus positional grade to give you you an index of the players value.

QB:

WR:

OG:

DT:

CB:

SS:

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2017/02/17/Jake-Ellenbogens-2017-top-positional-players-Free-Agency-prediction

Runaway now Mary Kay Cabot..i like what this Rams writer is cookin..Sign this guy up

Interesting take on FA signings. I've plucked our our activity, but the explanations the writer provides aren't copying...

QB:

WR:

OG:

DT:

CB:

SS:

Anything more than 4 years $30 million for Pryor is highway robbery

Eric Berry set for 6 year deal with Chiefs earning 13m a year

Which if consummated frees the tag for Poe...

CAR slapped the Non-Exclusive tag on Short.

Could we be interested in partnering him with Collins again? He will fetch big money I'd think http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2017/02/28/donta-hightower-free-agent-new-england/98539864/

o be placed with the franchise tag. USA TODAY Sports

636238947706517515-USP-NFL-SUPER-BOWL-LI

(Photo: Matthew Emmons, USA TODAY Sports)

2CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

The New England Patriots appear willing to take their chances with one of their top defenders hitting free agency.

Linebacker Dont'a Hightower has been informed by the team he will not receive the franchise tag, a person familiar with the team's thinking told USA TODAY Sports' Tom Pelissero. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not yet addressed its plans for Hightower.

Teams have until 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday to use the franchise tag. Free agency begins on March 9.

Hightower, 26, was a Patriots captain and Pro Bowl selection in 2016. His fourth-quarter strip-sack of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan was one of Super Bowl LI's most iconic plays and helped spark the Patriots' 25-point comeback and eventual win in overtime.

The Patriots parted with another star linebacker midway through last season when they traded Jamie Collins to the Cleveland Browns.

Could we be interested in partnering him with Collins again? He will fetch big money I'd think http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2017/02/28/donta-hightower-free-agent-new-england/98539864/

Well, as I see it, Hightower DOES play a position of need for the Browns: OLB. As I have said in other posts, our Starting OLBs are Collins and Schobert....and I feel we need an upgrade from Schobert. Hightower could work. And he is only 26 years old.....within the parameters of what this FO wants in terms of age.

As for big money....the Browns have big money. So I think, yes, definitely the Browns should be a player. Only question....would he want to come from a SB winner to a 1-15 team. Of course, imo....if he is that good, it would improve the Browns at a position of need.

While he is not the sack machine perhaps that the Browns need....his play could really help the likes of Collins, Ogbah, Nassib...who could become sack machines.

Per this article on CBS, Kevin Zeitler could be a major target of the Browns in Free agency:

More than $100 million in cap room gives the Browns plenty of resources to improve the league’s worst team in 2016. New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is likely lobbying for the addition of players familiar with his scheme. Cornerback Trumaine Johnson and defensive tackle Nick Fairley played for Williams when he was running the Rams’ defense. The offensive line was in disarray after the free agent departures of Alex Mack and Mitchell Schwartz and left guard Joel Bitonio’s inability to stay healthy. Head coach Hue Jackson could weaken the in-state rival Bengals by reuniting with right guard Kevin Zeitler. He was Zeitler’s offensive coordinator in 2014 and 2015. Zeitler is expected to command top guard money, which could exceed the $10 million per year and $30 million of guarantees Kyle Long received from the Bears in a four-year extension right before the start of last season.

I have also said that I believe DT is a position that the Browns need to improve either through the draft of FA.

Is Nick Fairly a guy that could maybe come in an produce substantially for the Browns at DT? Reunite with Gregg Williams...as it says?

Quarterbacks

Matt Schaub, Atlanta Falcons

Ryan Mallett, Baltimore Ravens

EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills

Brian Hoyer, Chicago Bears

Matt Barkley, Chicago Bears

Josh McCown, Cleveland Browns

Mark Sanchez, Dallas Cowboys

Kellen Moore, Dallas Cowboys

Dan Orlovsky, Detroit Lions

Case Keenum, Los Angeles Rams

T.J. Yates, Miami Dolphins

Shaun Hill, Minnesota Vikings

Josh Johnson, New York Giants

Ryan Nassib, New York Giants

Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets

Geno Smith, New York Jets

Matt McGloin, Oakland Raiders

Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers

Kellen Clemens, Los Angeles Chargers

Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers

Christian Ponder, San Francisco 49ers

Thad Lewis, San Francisco 49ers

Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Matt Cassel, Tennessee Titans

Go for any of these? Meh

Earl Watford, Arizona Cardinals
Ricky Wagner, Baltimore Ravens
Jordan Mills, Buffalo Bills
Mike Remmers, Carolina Panthers
Mike Adams, Chicago Bears
Nick Becton, Chicago Bears
Matt McCants, Chicago Bears
Andrew Whitworth, Cincinnati Bengals
Eric Winston, Cincinnati Bengals
Russell Okung, Denver Broncos
Riley Reiff, Detroit Lions
Don Barclay, Green Bay Packers
David Quessenberry, Houston Texans
Jeffrey Linkenbach, Jacksonville Jaguars
Kelvin Beachum, Jacksonville Jaguars
Sam Young, Miami Dolphins
Matt Kalil, Minnesota Vikings
Jake Long, Minnesota Vikings
Andre Smith, Minnesota Vikings
Tony Hills, New Orleans Saints
Will Beatty, New York Giants
Marshall Newhouse, New York Giants
Ben Ijalana, New York Jets
Ryan Clady, New York Jets
Menelik Watson, Oakland Raiders
Bradley Sowell, Seattle Seahawks
Gosder Cherilus, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Byron Bell, Tennessee Titans

Any RTs in this mix the Browns should go for?

TOP Unrestricted FAs per Walter Football:

1. Kevin Zeitler, G, Bengals. Age: 27.
Kevin Zeitler is one of the jewels of the 2017 NFL free agency class. He's been one of the top guards in the league over the past several seasons, possessing no weaknesses in his game. There's no reason for Zeitler to decline either, as he'll turn just 27 in March.

2. Calais Campbell, DE/DT, Cardinals. Age: 31.

Calais Campbell is one of the top defensive linemen in the NFL. He's outstanding in every regard, placing tons of pressure on opposing quarterbacks and clamping down against the run. He would be a five-star free agent if he were a couple of years younger, but he turns 31 on the first day of September.

3. T.J. Lang, G, Packers. Age: 29.

T.J. Lang missed some time with a foot injury this past season, but still performed as one of the top guards in the NFL. The one downside is that he'll turn 30 at the end of September, but interior linemen can usually play on a high level well into their mid-30s.

4. A.J. Bouye, CB, Texans. Age: 26.

A.J. Bouye came out of nowhere to have a Pro Bowl season for the Texans. Bouye was just a reserve/special-teamer prior to 2016, but he inexplicably turned into a shutdown cornerback. I'm hesitant to give him anything more than four stars because he could be a one-year wonder, but Bouye is set to earn a big contract this offseason.

5. Larry Warford, G, Lions. Age: 26.

Larry Warford had an injury-prone 2015 campaign, but he rebounded this past season, providing Matthew Stafford with some excellent blocking. Warford turns just 26 in June, so the sky is the limit for him.

5. John Cyprien, S, Jaguars. Age: 27.

John Cyprien was a second-round pick in 2013 who had failed to live up to his billing - until this past season. Cyprien had an incredible 2016 campaign, as he performed as one of the top safeties in the NFL. Just 27 in July, Cyprien is going to receive a big contract if he's allowed to hit free agency.

6. Tony Jefferson, S, Cardinals. Age: 25.

Tony Jefferson evolved into one of the better safeties in the NFL last season. Given that, as well as the fact that he turns just 25 at the end of January, Jefferson could be offered a huge contract this offseason. The only thing I'd worry about is that Jefferson is a bit of a one-year wonder.

7. Brandon Williams, NT, Ravens. Age: 28.

Ozzie Newsome recently said that Brandon Williams is one of the best nose tackles in the NFL. Williams has played like it at times, though he had a bit of a down year in 2016. Still, he's a terrific, run-stuffing nose tackle.

8. Chris Baker, DE/DT, Redskins. Age: 29.

Chris Baker was the lone bright spot on the Redskins' dismal defensive line this past year. He was a force against the run and also generated a good amount of pressure on the quarterback, collecting 4.5 sacks, which is a solid number for a player at his position. The downside is that Baker turns 30 in October, but he should be able to play on a high level for at least two more years.

9. Logan Ryan, CB, Patriots. Age: 26.

Logan Ryan struggled to start the 2016 campaign, but bounced back and performed on a very high level once again down the stretch. Ryan has been great the past two years, and he's only 26 in February, so he should be able to play well for quite a while.

10. Andrew Whitworth, OT, Bengals. Age: 35.

Andrew Whitworth would be rated at five stars if it weren't for his age. He's been one of the top left tackles in the NFL for a very long time. However, he just turned 35 and could begin to decline at some point in the near future.

11. Terrelle Pryor, WR, Browns. Age: 28.

Terrelle Pryor didn't quite reach Charles Woodson's projected 1,800-yardage mark, but he established himself as a dynamic weapon and a legitimate No. 1 receiver in the NFL. Pryor is still learning the position and had to deal with pedestrian quarterbacks all year, so he could be even better in the next couple of seasons.

Is it just me or does it seem like all but 2-3 of these guys could be useful to the Browns to fill holes?

More:

Johnathan Hankins, NT, Giants. Age: 25.

Johnathan Hankins is coming off a down year, perhaps because he never recovered from a torn pectoral. Hankins is a very talented defensive tackle who generates pressure on opposing quarterbacks and stuffs the run effectively when healthy.

Dontari Poe, NT, Chiefs. Age: 27.

Dontari Poe had one of the worst seasons in his career in 2016, thanks to a back injury. Poe is still a monstrous presence in the interior of the defensive line, and he'll only be 27 in August.

Stephon Gilmore, CB, Bills. Age: 26.

Stephon Gilmore had been an excellent cornerback heading into 2016, but he struggled last year. It's unclear why he regressed, but it's likely that he'll rebound. He's only 26, so it's not like he has a declining skill set, or anything.

Prince Amukamara, CB, Jaguars. Age: 28.

Prince Amukamara signed a 1-year "prove it" deal with the Jaguars last offseason. Prove himself he did, as Amukamara missed just a couple of games. He performed on a high level in 2016 and is certainly worthy of a substantial contract.

Morris Claiborne, CB, Cowboys. Age: 27.

It's almost crazy to recall that Morris Claiborne was considered a colossal bust prior to this past season. Claiborne had done nothing but suck since being chosen sixth overall in the 2012 NFL Draft, but he performed like a shutdown corner this past season before getting hurt. Was that because he was in his contract year, though? Will he stink again if he signs a big deal? Teams thinking about giving Claiborne a ton of money need to be concerned about this.

Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Patriots. Age: 27.

Dont'a Hightower is a terrific linebacker, but he's getting just 3.5 stars because of his extensive injury history. Hightower has played 16 games only once in his career, as he always seems to be banged up. Still, he's definitely worth it, as he dominates when he's on the field.

Russell Okung, OT, Broncos. Age: 28.

Russell Okung is certainly one of the most physically gifted left tackles in the NFL, but he definitely has an extensive injury history that is weighing his ranking down. Okung did, however, play in all 16 games this past season, and was one of the few bright spots on Denver's offensive line.

Barry Church, S, Cowboys. Age: 29.

Barry Church had always been an above-average starting safety, but not in 2016. He was outstanding this past season in all regards. He did miss four games with an arm injury, but was excellent when on the field. This could've been a fluky year, so I'm hesitant to give him four stars, but he certainly performed like a four-star free agent.

J.C. Tretter, C/G, Packers. Age: 26.

J.C. Tretter began the year as Green Bay's starting center, but lost his job when suffering a sprained MCL. It's a shame for Tretter because he had been performing on a high level, especially in pass protection. The other center, Corey Linsley, has just been better.

The Browns could get an entire new Defensive Backfield out of this group.

Archived