THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Chargers Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

wow. clear the path to super greatness. we beat a bad friggin team, prob almost as bad as we are yet with more talent. feel great about the win? half you idiots sound like ur 12 years old: "thank god!' "thank santa!'

well if you like make-believe you can go watch star wars..............nerds.

PFFFFTTTT!

This is really sad man.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did anyone else notice the fact the we did NOT play off zone coverage and played WAY WAY more press man coverage. I have no problem with horton if he keeps that up every game. We still need to address our QB issues Robert was awful today dink,dunk run or get sacked was all he had. Occasionally throw up a ball and hope for a flag. Offensively we did just enough to win and got extremely lucky with penalties going against SD. We also got away with more than SD did. Reminded me a lot of an OSU game to be honest.

Good win. I am still very concerned with our direction as an offense we are still an ineffective bunch but hopefully a new QB some Lineman maybe a WR or RB will get us somewhere. Defensive we made some mistakes still have miscommunication issues BUT we actually got to see our secondary and backers play man up with the opposing team. The players were asked to make plays rather than the opposing team make mistakes and today it showed. 19 games before we played an afc north defense against someone. Nothing i hate worse in football than playing off coverage.

extremely lucky with penalties going against SD. We also got away with more than SD did.

I agree with that.

However, Pryor was interfered with in the end zone on a long pass. That was kind of a BIG one that SD got away with.

If SD would've blitzed us up the middle all day long we may never have gotten a first down. - We need an offseason to get help for the OL.

Meder saved the day with a great FG block. But the reality is that we need an offseason to get help for the DL so that he doesn't have to be a starter. (disclaimer: I don't like to have to say stuff like that about a player......but it's part of being a fan of the team)

Nassib had one tackle in each of the two previous games. Today he had a tackle AND an assist.

We had to use RG3 as an option running QB. If we hadn't, we wouldn't have won (with our current OL). But we cannot use a QB in that manner and expect to have him as QB for the entire season. And I don't like him as a passer enough to want him as our starting QB of the future. Kessler seems like the backup QB of the future.

Seth Devalve had a nice catch for us. Set up a TD it did. But he was dinged on the reception and I didn't see him again. He always seems to be hurt.

There is much to do this offseason in order to get to the point where WE can pass (and have time to pass) and the opponent does NOT get the time to pass. As Joe Banner said, "It's pass and rush the passer"

So did anyone else notice the fact the we did NOT play off zone coverage and played WAY WAY more press man coverage. I have no problem with horton if he keeps that up every game. We still need to address our QB issues Robert was awful today dink,dunk run or get sacked was all he had. Occasionally throw up a ball and hope for a flag. Offensively we did just enough to win and got extremely lucky with penalties going against SD. We also got away with more than SD did. Reminded me a lot of an OSU game to be honest.

Yup Griffin finally had a 1\2 decent game. Want to know what scares me the most? Hue is still gonna feel the Earth moving with Griffin, stick with him, not draft a qb high in 2017. And Runnin' Robert will get KOed the first game of 2017. "There are no old running qbs in the NFL."

Until we get a decent Oline with experience there is no point in drafting a rookie qb. Why get a new qb with a new oline? Build a kick ass oline out of FA and maybe then talk about drafting a QB or keep Kessler, And as for our D..............I would not even know where to start

I don't get how so many Browns fans can cheer for Bosa doing well against us.........................He don't play for the Browns get over it,

nobody "cheered" for him to do well against us. We're acknowledging that he would have made a heck of a Brown. Yet another stud pass rusher/run defender we passed on. It is what it is. But yeah im an OSU homer so I hope he does well in the NFL, even against us. HOpe we beat the chargers but also want him to do well.

nobody "cheered" for him to do well against us. We're acknowledging that he would have made a heck of a Brown. Yet another stud pass rusher/run defender we passed on. It is what it is. But yeah im an OSU homer so I hope he does well in the NFL, even against us. HOpe we beat the chargers but also want him to do well.

No worries. I'm sure you cheered your ass off watching him get 2 sacks yesterday. He's your boy! There were a couple "stay right there Joey, I'm coming to right to you" moments from RG3. One time he ran by him the other time he couldn't.

Even though we didn't sack Rivers per say, I thought it was one of our best days of pressuring a QB enough to hurry many throws. I loved some of those blitzes while the gamble also got scary at times looking at a wide open Antonio Gates. Rivers also got saved by a nice wing span from a tall WR on a few of those heavy pressures. I compare those throws to the 1 end zone throw RG3 made to Half-pint Hawkins; and the only thing I could think of was how many WRs at least 5'10" tall could have made that catch. But what a difference it makes to have a QB with pocket presence and an ability to read a defense fast enough to avoid sacks during heavy pressure the way Rivers did it repeatedly.

We're heading into Bowl season where many will watch Trubisky run a college offense. I've seen 1 start in his very small body of work; and I liked how well he ran what he was trained to do. If I'm being honest, I think he should be projected to go somewhere between where Teddy B and Derek Carr went as opposed to where our first 2 picks will be. There's going to be some opinions generated on how well he does vrs Stanford (regardless of how good or bad their defense may be). The last time I saw a QB look impressive vrs Stanford in a Bowl game it was Weeden out-dueling Andrew Luck 41-38 after struggling early. He looked nothing like that in the NFL because of how drastic the changes were.

When I continue to see guys like Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott outperforming some higher projected QBs - I'm reminded the pre-draft criteria doesn't include some very important variables perpetuating why it's still an inexact science. All the pre-draft workouts QB prospects will go through are without bad pass protections/pass rushers hurrying throws to well covered receivers on styles of offenses counting on inexperienced passers to read progressions against more complicated coverage schemes than they've been exposed to. Will 1 matchup with Stanford tell us if Trubisky is any more ready for Cleveland than Weeden was? The ability to only start 1 year concerns me enough to re-ask the question - what makes him the answer all our prayers when he wasn't exactly the answer to all of NC's prayers in a weak conference? It doesn't mean I don't like the kid as much as trading back up to #22 overall for QBs prospects that aren't worthy of round 1 has KILLED us a few times.

I'm leaning toward not wanting a QB in round 1 in 2017. Of all the QBs in this next draft, Chad Kelly has beaten Bama in 2015 before putting up the best scoreboard against them in 2016. Several SEC teams didn't even score an offensive TD vrs Bama this year. I'd rather shore up our defense with our first 2 picks and go for a guy like Kelly later. When you think about it, his best WR at Ole Miss in 2015 couldn't even crack Minnesota's starting lineup this year. I'm not sure where Kizer is going to go - but I'm open to him as well after round 1. Both kids look like they can make better decisions at times. Kelly also had a season ending ACL in jury midway through last season so he'll miss a lot of workouts which could keep him available for a bargain shopper.

how many games bosa play so far in his illustrious career?

exactly.

fuck that big nosed stromboli.

I spoketh too soon Mark saw those sucky Niners actually won. Hate to say it Mark- GO RAVENS! So the Steelers have to play their starters. You wouldn't want a win against their scrubs, or would you? :)

Now you want the Browns to lose to the Steelers?

This #1 draft pick better be Otto Fucking Graham. And #2 better be horseshit.

Zombo

wow. clear the path to super greatness. we beat a bad friggin team, prob almost as bad as we are yet with more talent. feel great about the win? half you idiots sound like ur 12 years old: "thank god!' "thank santa!'

well if you like make-believe you can go watch star wars..............nerds.

PFFFFTTTT!

This forum is Browns fans.

Fans.

Fanatics.

People that our proud of their franchise history and didn't want to go 0-16.

If you are trying to be the new Ghoolie, you are failing miserably

You need to mention penises a lot more.

Zombo

Thank you God! We needed that win!!! GO BROWNS!!!!

Makes me believe in Santa all over again!!!

Cap it off with a new years steeler victory!!!!

Thanks Santa!

Cancel that stupid parade

Nice TEAM win...

Joe Thomas showing nothing but pure emotion in the locker room with the tears.

I couldn't bring myself to not see him as part of this team.

Now please go ahead and beat the Squealers New Years.....we can't finish any worse than the #2 pick regardless.

Hell yes to all of the above....

Hue, all the players & coaches, and most of all, us fans who wanted to win....all deserved and enjoyed this!....

One of the few games Ill remember.....forever......thanks to the Browns(players) for giving us at least one sliver of joy for 2016.....

:)

and they're dancing in the streets everyone!!

the guy can take the BAG off his head and and you can take the penis and ballBAG out of your mouth.

how's that?

Cranky today. They must have closed your wateringhole for Christmas and now you've got to suck black dick in the alley instead of the nice warm restroom.

Z

Now you want the Browns to lose to the Steelers?

This #1 draft pick better be Otto Fucking Graham. And #2 better be horseshit.

Zombo

So if we draft second, and the 49ers take the next Joe Montana- you're not going to be pissed off? Wentz might just be the real deal- too early to tell. Yup, I'm the master of coulda, shoulda. Like Aaron Rodgers when we had the chance- I won't bore you with the other Pro Bowlers we missed on.

OK, I'll be honest. at the price of losing the #1 overall pick? Well, let me put it to you this way Z. Weeeeeee!!! In the big scheme of things we won a pretty meaningless game and acted like we won the freaking Super Bowl. So we get lumped in with the other nine (I had to look it up) crap teams that finished 1-15. Aw shucks, we join that club of as member 10, instead of joining the 2008 Lions in a club of two. Big whoop. Can't hardly wait to hear the condescending whitewashed comments about the Browns leading up to Draft Day 2017.Come on Mr. Berman and Kiper tell it like it is- that 2016 Browns team was Gawdawful, and if the Chargers kicker hadn't gotten one kick blocked and missed another, the Browns were damn lucky they didn't finish 0-16. Assuming the Steelers lose to the Ratbirds, the game against the Steelers is most likely their playoff game before the playoffs. You want to show me some real improvement Browns- beat a team playing for something on the road. Toads.

This forum is Browns fans.

Fans.

Fanatics.

People that our proud of their franchise history and didn't want to go 0-16.

If you are trying to be the new Ghoolie, you are failing miserably

Zombo

Nah- just be a Curmudgeon. Proud? I'm ashamed of this effort Z, so ashamed at this point in the season- I can't be any more ashamed if they lose, or get excited about a totally meaningless win. We wrote a new history of Browns failure this year- if you're going to FAIL don't be half ass about it. Niners losing to the Rams made my day, you can be a near epic failure, and still get the Brass Ring of the #1 pick.

Come on Mr. Berman and Kiper tell it like it is- that 2016 Browns team was Gawdawful, and if the Chargers kicker hadn't gotten one kick blocked and missed another, the Browns were damn lucky they didn't finish 0-16

And OUR kicker missed 3 FG's against Miami. The Dolphins were the damn lucky ones there.

Yes, we're bad. VERY bad. For the vast majority of the season we looked like we shouldn't win a game.

And we have a terrible defense....but against San Diego, our D actually got off the field and made enough plays to preserve a win.

If you've ever been a player on a team....then you know what it's like to lose...and you know what it's like to win.

The difference between zero wins and one win is emotionally huge. The difference between one and two wins is meh...

That's why most everyone appreciates this victory so much...because it was huge. And if you can't understand that...then...

(I'm not going to finish the statement)

And OUR kicker missed 3 FG's against Miami. The Dolphins were the damn lucky ones there.

Yes, we're bad. VERY bad. For the vast majority of the season we looked like we shouldn't win a game.

And we have a terrible defense....but against San Diego, our D actually got off the field and made enough plays to preserve a win.

If you've ever been a player on a team....then you know what it's like to lose...and you know what it's like to win.

The difference between zero wins and one win is emotionally huge. The difference between one and two wins is meh...

That's why most everyone appreciates this victory so much...because it was huge. And if you can't understand that...then...

(I'm not going to finish the statement)

Great post!

It was nice to finally see an officiating crew that didn't sock it to us like the one that yanked the Baltimore game right out of our players' hands. I'm sure we deserved to be flagged a lot this year; but it didn't seem like crews were just as willing to notice our opponents lining up offsides or call those holds or blocks in the backs or pass interference penalties right in front of their faces.

Did anyone see the video of how emotional Joe Thomas was when they gave the game ball to Hue? When we finished 10-6 in his rookie year (2007), he probably had no idea he'd have tears of joy and extreme relief just winning 1 game near the end of his 10th consecutive Pro Bowl season. Our Front Office has an ideal opportunity to giddy-up and get after it for this guy and the unparalleled loyalty of our fan base..

Jim Brown might have only been sitting 1 empty chair away from Jimmy and Dee Haslam but his reaction to just 1 win for the proud tradition he was a big part of looked a lot like he was thinking "I'm not going to approve or celebrate a 1 win barometer here." Right now I'm in my giddy beggers can't be choosey mood; but I'm also thankful there's a best of all time presence in the room that won't hesitate to speak his mind about what is acceptable here.

right next to your boy manziel while we sniff lines off the pool boy's hairy ass.

thank god there's only one game left where i have to listen to the fake positivity and blown out of proportion AFCN picks.

Not sure why you are tying me to Manziel, I guess you don't read the board, you just spew on it.

The majority of Browns fans on here are real fans ... you're the fake.

I went to Miami for a Browns weekend and died on a missed field goal. I spent four days in downtown Cleveland in November with other great fans, just to have the Browns gets trounced by the Cowboys. The other 13 games, as a Browns Backer president, I hosted a party of 70-80 of my closest friends, who came out week after week to spend the afternoon together and have fun, even though the losses became more and more obvious. Ya, we cheered for first downs, we went nuts for Touchdowns, and we walked away disappointed every week.

I totally understood the rebuild process from the beginning. I knew we were in for a long year with a lot of rookies, and then when the injuries added up, it was sure looking like 0-16 was real. I wanted one win for those 70 people that showed up every week to root for the Browns here in Naples. I wanted one win for the thousands of Browns Backers that took over Miami. I wanted one win for my buds that flew in from San Diego, London and Scotland for that Cleveland weekend. I wanted one win for the loyal Browns Boarders that went to the Nashville game. I wanted one win for the guys on the Browns Board who post here every day, analyze every series, and truly love being Browns fans. I wanted one win for Mud so that he didn't have a seizure. I wanted one win for the rookies so that they can carry that feeling with them next year. I wanted one win for the veterans that endured this season knowing the whole football world was laughing at them. I wanted one win for Hue Jackson who was given a monumental task of swimming against the talent grain his first year.

I am also an NFL History aficionado. The Browns history means a lot to me. I DID NOT want to be that team that went 0-16. Leave that to the Lions. Leave me some pride. I truly care about this franchise's place in history.

So, yes, I am happy they won. I am very fucking happy. I'm elated. I had childlike joy Saturday night.

And if you watched that game, and then saw the players rejoicing, tears in the eyes of Joe Thomas and and Hue Jackson ... and you didn't feel anything ... and you consider yourself a Browns fan ... then get off that barstool and start living life again, because you're dead inside.

Onward and Upward. We survived the worst, and I am fucking happy for this team and for Cleveland Browns football fans everywhere.

Zombo

Not sure why you are tying me to Manziel, I guess you don't read the board, you just spew on it.

The majority of Browns fans on here are real fans ... you're the fake.

I went to Miami for a Browns weekend and died on a missed field goal. I spent four days in downtown Cleveland in November with other great fans, just to have the Browns gets trounced by the Cowboys. The other 13 games, as a Browns Backer president, I hosted a party of 70-80 of my closest friends, who came out week after week to spend the afternoon together and have fun, even though the losses became more and more obvious. Ya, we cheered for first downs, we went nuts for Touchdowns, and we walked away disappointed every week.

I totally understood the rebuild process from the beginning. I knew we were in for a long a year with a lot of rookies, and then when the injuries added up, it was sure looking like 0-16 was real. I wanted one win for those 70 people that showed up every week to root for the Browns here in Naples. I wanted one win for the thousands of Browns Backers that took over Miami. I wanted one win for my buds that flew in from San Diego, London and Scotland for that Cleveland weekend. I wanted one win for the loyal Browns Boarders that went to the Nashville game. I wanted one win for the guys on the Browns Board who post here every day, analyze every series, and truly love being Browns fans. I wanted one win for Mud so that he didn't have a seizure. I wanted one win for the rookies so that can carry that feeling with them next year. I wanted one win for the veterans that endured this season knowing the whole football world was laughing at them. I wanted one win for Hue Jackson who was given a monumental task of swimming against the talent grain his first year.

I am also an NFL History aficionado. The Browns history means a lot to me. I DID NOT want to be that team that went 0-16. Leave that to the Lions. Leave me some pride. I truly care about this franchise's place in history.

So, yes, I am happy they won. I am very fucking happy. I'm elated. I had childlike joy Saturday night.

And if you watched that game, and then saw the players rejoicing, tears in the eyes of Joe Thomas and and Hue Jackson ... and you didn't feel anything ... and you consider yourself a Browns fan ... then get off that barstool and start living life again, because you're dead inside.

Onward and Upward. We survived the worst, and I am fucking happy for this team and for Cleveland Browns football fans everywhere.

Zombo

Exactly...

So if we draft second, and the 49ers take the next Joe Montana- you're not going to be pissed off? Wentz might just be the real deal- too early to tell. Yup, I'm the master of coulda, shoulda. Like Aaron Rodgers when we had the chance- I won't bore you with the other Pro Bowlers we missed on.

OK, I'll be honest. at the price of losing the #1 overall pick? Well, let me put it to you this way Z. Weeeeeee!!! In the big scheme of things we won a pretty meaningless game and acted like we won the freaking Super Bowl. So we get lumped in with the other nine (I had to look it up) crap teams that finished 1-15. Aw shucks, we join that club of as member 10, instead of joining the 2008 Lions in a club of two. Big whoop. Can't hardly wait to hear the condescending whitewashed comments about the Browns leading up to Draft Day 2017.Come on Mr. Berman and Kiper tell it like it is- that 2016 Browns team was Gawdawful, and if the Chargers kicker hadn't gotten one kick blocked and missed another, the Browns were damn lucky they didn't finish 0-16. Assuming the Steelers lose to the Ratbirds, the game against the Steelers is most likely their playoff game before the playoffs. You want to show me some real improvement Browns- beat a team playing for something on the road. Toads.

Nah- just be a Curmudgeon. Proud? I'm ashamed of this effort Z, so ashamed at this point in the season- I can't be any more ashamed if they lose, or get excited about a totally meaningless win. We wrote a new history of Browns failure this year- if you're going to FAIL don't be half ass about it. Niners losing to the Rams made my day, you can be a near epic failure, and still get the Brass Ring of the #1 pick.

You, of all people, KNEW we were going to be awful this year.

These guys took over a 3-13 team, let the free agents walk and carried 19 rookies.

It was going to be ugly. We were all buckled down for it.

And then we win a game in the end ... nice ending.

Now we've got twice the draft collateral of anybody else and nowhere to go but up. That was the plan.

To keep bitching about this 2016 team ... I don't get it.

Were you happier at 3-13? I wasn't. I was miserable at the end of last year. I have some hope for this new administration, I see what they are doing, and I'm OK with it.

Certainly I will be expecting major improvement next year. But to keep bellyaching about the 2016 team ... I don't get it.

Zombo

You, of all people, KNEW we were going to be awful this year.

These guys took over a 3-13 team, let the free agents walk and carried 19 rookies.

It was going to be ugly. We were all buckled down for it.

And then we win a game in the end ... nice ending.

Now we've got twice the draft collateral of anybody else and nowhere to go but up. That was the plan.

To keep bitching about this 2016 team ... I don't get it.

Were you happier at 3-13? I wasn't. I was miserable at the end of last year. I have some hope for this new administration, I see what they are doing, and I'm OK with it.

Certainly I will be expecting major improvement next year. But to keep bellyaching about the 2016 team ... I don't get it.

Zombo

Well, we've got six days and we can put this miserable season in the rear view mirror. Sure, I predicted only a couple of wins, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I wouldn't call it bitching- I'd call it accurately pointing out the Browns sucked badly this year. Glass half full? I'd call it glass damn near empty- this season. Just call it years of cumulative frustration. The Browns finally drained all the emotion out of me this year. The losses don't hurt anymore, and honesty I didn't get all warm and fuzzy about beating Chargers. We've almost been reduced to the level of Cubs Fans (until this year) but we're not "Lovable Losers", not yet anyway. More like Laughable Losers. Need about another decade of suckage to reach that level.

As you well know my fandom is unquestioned. Season tickets for the last 18 years, road trips to Miami and Nashville, plus three more to Cleveland. Watched every minute of every game when I wasn't at the stadium. A few of those games, it looked like we didn't even belong on the field with the other team. The epitome of high cost low reward. So I think I've earned the right to be unhappy with the current product. Our track record changing Front Offices and Coaches has been less than stellar since 1999, so call me a Grade A skeptic until I see something to be positive about. Sure, we have an incredible amount of draft capital and cap space. Just please don't screw it up this time, I'm not getting any younger.

Archived