THE BROWNS BOARD

Selvin Young released

standish

Having a guy like Jerome Harrison (who is probably a much better talent) who fills the same role, plus some, would make me think Young isn't a great option for us.

Guest Aloysius

I like another Broncos castoff, Mike Bell. He's currently with the Saints but could end up getting cut if they add Edgerrin James.

Bell's got size (6'0", 225 lbs.) and runs hard. He had nice production as a rookie (677 yards rushing, 8 TD's) and could help out immediately as a short yardage back.

Guest mz.
I like another Broncos castoff, Mike Bell.

Not sure I like Bell as much as you do (probably b/c he vultured a handful of fantasy touchdowns from Pierre Thomas last season), but I agree with the need for a short-yardage back. Hoping James Davis might be able to fill that role initially...

Selvin had injuries at Texas as well. While he was a veteran contributor to the national championship team of 2005, he was never the same player after a knee injury early on. He runs tough but has a problem putting the ball on the carpet. No thanks. See you at the reunion, Selvin!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry I missed this one. Following the Cutler debacle, McDaniels blowing up the Broncos, and a draft that didn't address my teams real problem, the D-Line, I just had to take a little time off from football. Now that I am back, I'll tell you what I can about Selvin. I have mixed feelings on him, at times he shows flashes of greatness, good burst, good speed, and an eye for the hole, but when he has a bad day he really falls apart, fumbles, dropped dump off passes, and falling down if a defender gets within five feet of him. He also struggles as a blocker and has a tendancy to take plays off once a reciever puts a hand on the ball.

At first I was really high on the guy, but have come to the conclussion he's a product of the Denver O-line which can make most runners look at least average. He can be an explosive guy, but is much more of the 2 yard, 1 yard, 2 yard, 4 yard, 27 yard type, not someone who can move the chains on a regular basis. With the herniated disc he is out til September, and probably wouldn't be in shape til late season at best, but even then I would pass on him if I were in charge of personel. At this point it doesn't look like you guys will have anything to do with him, but if October rolls around and you take another look those are my two cents.

Any thought/outsider insights on my Broncos from this board? I think we had a pretty miserable off season, but am pumped about Moreno. I would have preffered a smash mouth deffense, or at least moving in that direction, but failing that a good power running game could at least help keep the D off the field a little more. I think Orton as a game manager in McDaniels system should be adequate with our other offensive weapons, but it is obviously a huge downgrade at QB. I am guessing the Broncos sit somewhere around 5-11 or 6-10 in a rebuilding year, but with a much more consistant team.

Hey guys, sorry I missed this one. Following the Cutler debacle, McDaniels blowing up the Broncos, and a draft that didn't address my teams real problem, the D-Line, I just had to take a little time off from football. Now that I am back, I'll tell you what I can about Selvin. I have mixed feelings on him, at times he shows flashes of greatness, good burst, good speed, and an eye for the hole, but when he has a bad day he really falls apart, fumbles, dropped dump off passes, and falling down if a defender gets within five feet of him. He also struggles as a blocker and has a tendancy to take plays off once a reciever puts a hand on the ball.

At first I was really high on the guy, but have come to the conclussion he's a product of the Denver O-line which can make most runners look at least average. He can be an explosive guy, but is much more of the 2 yard, 1 yard, 2 yard, 4 yard, 27 yard type, not someone who can move the chains on a regular basis. With the herniated disc he is out til September, and probably wouldn't be in shape til late season at best, but even then I would pass on him if I were in charge of personel. At this point it doesn't look like you guys will have anything to do with him, but if October rolls around and you take another look those are my two cents.

Any thought/outsider insights on my Broncos from this board? I think we had a pretty miserable off season, but am pumped about Moreno. I would have preffered a smash mouth deffense, or at least moving in that direction, but failing that a good power running game could at least help keep the D off the field a little more. I think Orton as a game manager in McDaniels system should be adequate with our other offensive weapons, but it is obviously a huge downgrade at QB. I am guessing the Broncos sit somewhere around 5-11 or 6-10 in a rebuilding year, but with a much more consistant team.

I liked the Moreno pick, thought the Cutler thing was ridiculous. Not an Orton fan. Anytime a QB gets labeled a "game manager" means he can't go out and win games himself. Cutler certainly could do that.

Your roster has been overhauled, so anything from 4-12 to 12-4 is possible, you never know when you strike lightening in a bottle.

I don't like when rival fans come over to tell us what they don't like about Mangini before his first camp even, so I'm going to give McDaniels a fair shot too.

If you guys have been shaking your heads this offseason though ... I understand.

Zombo

Zombo-

I won't disagree with you on giving McDaniels a chance for the reasons you state. That said, his initial management of his franchise QB has left a lot to be desired. It speaks to his inexperience in managing a team. Kris Jenkins said that being an NFL coach is "tough because you have to spend all this time managing 52 egos". Yes, you'd hope they're professionals but they do need some management.

When Mangini (advertently or inadvertently) upset Shaun Rogers....he made nice. He had some talks with him and things are smoothed out. He didn't wind up having a)a media fiasco and b)to trade his best player on that side of the ball.

I think that McDaniels is an exciting offensive mind but he needs to learn quickly because he's already hurt his team. Orton may be many things but Cutler he is not. He may not even be Trent Dilfer (one of the best "game managers"). He is going to find sledding tough in Denver. Rabid fans, porous defense and potential problem locker room.

People criticize Mangini for clearing house and perhaps he's the "Anti-Bengals" in that regard but the fact remains that in the NFL you cannot motivate players in the same way as in HS or college. They are supposed to be professionals and if they have bad attitudes, there's very little you can do to change that. Further, those locker-room pariahs try to spread their beliefs to others. I think that McDaniels is going to learn this the hard way unless he's smart about it. Just trying to illustrate that this will be his bigger challenge in Denver.

Zombo-

I won't disagree with you on giving McDaniels a chance for the reasons you state. That said, his initial management of his franchise QB has left a lot to be desired. It speaks to his inexperience in managing a team. Kris Jenkins said that being an NFL coach is "tough because you have to spend all this time managing 52 egos". Yes, you'd hope they're professionals but they do need some management.

When Mangini (advertently or inadvertently) upset Shaun Rogers....he made nice. He had some talks with him and things are smoothed out. He didn't wind up having a)a media fiasco and b)to trade his best player on that side of the ball.

I think that McDaniels is an exciting offensive mind but he needs to learn quickly because he's already hurt his team. Orton may be many things but Cutler he is not. He may not even be Trent Dilfer (one of the best "game managers"). He is going to find sledding tough in Denver. Rabid fans, porous defense and potential problem locker room.

People criticize Mangini for clearing house and perhaps he's the "Anti-Bengals" in that regard but the fact remains that in the NFL you cannot motivate players in the same way as in HS or college. They are supposed to be professionals and if they have bad attitudes, there's very little you can do to change that. Further, those locker-room pariahs try to spread their beliefs to others. I think that McDaniels is going to learn this the hard way unless he's smart about it. Just trying to illustrate that this will be his bigger challenge in Denver.

McDaniels is young and it will take some time to learn to be a HC, but when it comes to the Cutler fiasco, I think 50% of the blame lies squarely on Cutler's shoulders also. It took both sides to screw that one up, and they did it quite well.

McDaniels is young and it will take some time to learn to be a HC, but when it comes to the Cutler fiasco, I think 50% of the blame lies squarely on Cutler's shoulders also. It took both sides to screw that one up, and they did it quite well.

True. I suppose we can only hold him responsible for his half of the problem but if he received a phone call about Cassel, he could have preempted it by telling Cutler that this was going on and they were just doing due diligence. On the other hand, if he did initiate the trade talk...then he was just asking for trouble.

Fair enough on the Cutler assessment. I think he is a spectacular player, and even like him off field most of the time (he has done some good work with diabetes since being diagnosed), but when it came to the trde negotiations he turned into a whiny two year old. I think McDaniels and Bowlen should have done more to calm the situation, but it is what it is and I am ready to move forward. The head shaking about the season is an understatement though, Bronco nation is in chaos right now and will be until W's go on the board or McDaniels is shown the door.

As a side note for the fantasy fans (draft time will be here before we know it), I think Moreno will be fantastic and get the majority of the carries, but really wouldn't be suprised to see Hillis as the #2 RB and get the short yardage/goal line carries. If you are looking for an RB late and feel like taking a chance you could do worse than Hillis.

Thanks for the input everyone, I will try and stop by more often. Good luck in the coming season. =)

Stick with what we've got...Edge is over the hill and gonna demand too much, wouldn't provide enough bang for the buck. Time to give Harrison the reins and let's really see what he can do. Mangini utilized Leon Washington's scat back skills and I look for him to demand more outta Harrison this year as he did Leon. He got him to use all of his abilities and will use Harrison in the same mold. Given the fact that it's his second time around he can use Washington's development and maturation as a blueprint for Jerome. Just as Thomas Jones handed over duties to Leon, Jamal will hand off to Harrison. I only see this helping Lewis to remain healthier and fresh during late game and late season situations. Notice the teams across the league that do use 2 or 3 RBs always seem to be so much more impactful. With a much improved line and inexperienced wide receivers, I look for the running game to be our strength this year and for Harrison to lead the way and have a huge breakout season.

Davis may be the real powerback in our future harrison really lacks the ability to be effective up the gut in a sustained situation and JL only has so much left...i usually dislike guys at 210 lb or less and usually consider them like harrison as exclusively outside RBs but davis is an exception this guy can gain important shortish ranged yardage inside or out...i dont think we need anyone new with jl as our feature back and harrison on end arounds and davis learning the ropes under good coaching and tudoring is adequate as far as im concerned...;)

At least until the coach says otherwise....;)

Archived