THE BROWNS BOARD

Superior Oblique Palsy

The Gipper

Over the weekend I came down with a sudden onset of Superior Oblique Palsy in my right eye, aka Fourth nerve palsy.

Symptoms include double vision, vertigo, nausea and a searing migraine headache.

This condition seriously limits my ability to read, watch tv, look at a computer, drive. I have to use an eye patch to function. Just to write this I had to take a break. So my participation may be limited.

Yes best wishes for a speedy return to normal!

That palsy stuff is no joke, I was laying at the kitchen table with my arm extended watching the TV in there one evening and got myself a good case of "Saturday Night Palsy" or Radial Neuropathy.

Saw a doctor when it wouldn't go away he calmly said maybe weeks or a few months or never!

It did subside in a week or two but it was scary wierd, felt like my arm was asleep. (I hope I'm really cheering you up there Gip.) :):(

Good luck too you and hope it goes away quickly. ......like Michigan when they play OHIO STATE. :lol:

Man Gip, those symptoms gotta suk..Get Well soon stats man!! Than prove to me why Cliff Branch stats is not HOF & Lynn Swann is HOF?

Four Super Bowl rings. Beyond that, many many WRs have better career numbers than Swann. It did take him like 14 times as a finalist before he made it.

Four Super Bowl rings. Beyond that, many many WRs have better career numbers than Swann. It did take him like 14 times as a finalist before he made it.

Ever hear a rising tide lifts all boats? Well that's the story of the 1970s Steel Curtain....oh wait that was the DEFENSE, let me try to think back maybe it was the collective effort of the 11 guys on that side of the ball that really won those Vince Lombardi Trophies.

And Bradshaw to Swann was along for the ride, besides John Stalworth was the tough guy over the middle that was the go to guy getting the tough first downs and setting up Lynn Swann for the glamor catches. ;)

• 2 months later...

Well, it has been 3 months now....and just in the last two days things have cleared up. I was able to ditch the eye patch yesterday. The headaches have actually been long gone as has the fatigue. Part of the fatigue was likely "sugar withdrawal". My system was so reliant on the external intake of sugar and carbs that getting off of that was like an addict going through withdrawal. My metabolism took about a month to adjust to a low sugar low carb diet. But that is going fine. I have actually lost about 25 lbs. since the beginning of December. And that helps. I got about another 30-35 I would like to lose, but that is going to require some hitting of the bricks rather than just low carb diet...as my system's metabolism has adjusted now.

No more playing the pirate. No more raping, pillaging, plundering. :D

When you have some real fundamental weight loss over a sustained long period (generally 6-12 months) it tends to reset your body functions and aids in true A1C and other good things which helps control normal diabetes and sustained weight loss.

Happened to me a few years back.

That’s also why yo-yo diets are virtually doomed to fail.

• 5 months later...

My Superior Oblique Palsy problem is back. Perhaps a combination of things: I ran out of my medication and have not had it for a couple of weeks. Need to go back and see the doc. Plus, I have probably slipped a lot on my low carb diet. Need to get back on track with both diet and medication so that I can see straight. See my note here about how this is affecting my planned trip to Houston for the game/New Orleans.

Well best of luck to you again, we need a 100% Gipper to raise hell around here.

Let's hope meds plus other treatments help out.

Archived