THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Titans Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would that extra point have changed the outcome?

Because you only need one onside kick to potentially tie the game instead of two. That is literally football coaching 101, I learned that at 14 years old. No reasonable person is saying fire Hue but that is an inexcusable coaching mistake.

another close game. Kessler looks great, defense not so much. Keep Kessler and draft some pass rushers with all of their acquired draft picks?

Something like that. I don't think RG3 or McCown should go back in unless Kessler has trouble. He is showing that he wants to be in there. What were the turnovers again?

Fire hue, omg he took a risk with a potential 0-16 team. Omg fire him.

who's saying to fire him,now if you want to say we had to many penalties and that we should have waited to go for 2 and that's a problem yes then you would be correct

Hue made the right call going for two. Quit being a dumbass listening to announcers and think for yourself. He went for it on the first possession because if we had succeeded we were going to kick off deep. We had three timeouts and the two minute warning yet to get the ball back. Since we didn't get it he knew we needed two possessions so we had to onside kick the ball following the failed conversion. It's actually smarter to do it that way because you know then and there what you need. I guarantee had we been successful we would have kicked deep and played defense and that's what Hue was figuring out. If you kick the extra point then fail on the two point conversion on the second time you may not even have the time to attempt another onside kick because you maybe you aren't going as quick thinking you don't want to leave the tits any time.

If we had recovered the second onside luck we had ample time to get in field goal range because we knew we needed another score after the td drive.

the way the titans moved the ball on thier last drive completeing all of their 3rd down attempts there is 0 reason to think we would have stopped them had we kicked deep,so yes it was a stupid call to go for two should have saved that for the end of the game

the way the titans moved the ball on thier last drive completeing all of their 3rd down attempts there is 0 reason to think we would have stopped them had we kicked deep,so yes it was a stupid call to go for two should have saved that for the end of the game

When all they are trying to do is run the ball I have faith we would have stopped them. Would have had a better chance at that than recovering an onside kick. I mean yeah we did recover it but what is the success rate in the nfl less than 8 percent I would guess. And it's been zero percent for us in the last 5 years. He made the right call trying to get it done early because then you know exactly what you need. The sooner you know if you need two scores the better.

My presser comment was purely based upon the decision to go for 2.

It's actually smarter to do it that way because you know then and there what you need. I guarantee had we been successful we would have kicked deep and played defense and that's what Hue was figuring out. If you kick the extra point then fail on the two point conversion on the second time you may not even have the time to attempt another onside kick because you maybe you aren't going as quick thinking you don't want to leave the tits any time.
If we had recovered the second onside luck we had ample time to get in field goal range because we knew we needed another score after the td drive.

ummmm... no....

You kick the PAT after the first TD. Same story... same options... but with a team that still knows it has a chance.

Trying and failing the 2-pt conversion meant we needed two more possessions. It required not only the on-side we recovered, but an additional one, which you may have noted (despite evidence to the contrary) that we did not recover.

The odds of recovering an expected onside kick in the NFL? 1 in 5... That means recovering two is 1 in 25. It is bad judgement.

His only defense for his decision is he was playing for a win in regulation... trying to ride the momentum of the TD... rather than a tie and OT. But the odds against success were too great.

Because you only need one onside kick to potentially tie the game instead of two. That is literally football coaching 101, I learned that at 14 years old. No reasonable person is saying fire Hue but that is an inexcusable coaching mistake.

well put...your are exactly correct a mundo...

My presser comment was purely based upon the decision to go for 2.

ummmm... no....

You kick the PAT after the first TD. Same story... same options... but with a team that still knows it has a chance.

Trying and failing the 2-pt conversion meant we needed two more possessions. It required not only the on-side we recovered, but an additional one, which you may have noted (despite evidence to the contrary) that we did not recover.

The odds of recovering an expected onside kick in the NFL? 1 in 5... That means recovering two is 1 in 25. It is bad judgement.

His only defense for his decision is he was playing for a win in regulation... trying to ride the momentum of the TD... rather than a tie and OT. But the odds against success were too great.

You are assuming we convert the second two point conversion. We didn't convert the first so what makes you believe we convert it the second time? Also you are completely ignoring the fact that if we convert the first one then we can kick n away and don't even need to take the 1 in 5 chance of recovering an onside kick. By going for it earlier you then know whether you have to attempt something that has less than a 20 percent success rate when the other team is expecting it or if you can kick away. Conversion rate for 2 point conversion is 50 percent. So you the take 50 percent chance earlier to potentially avoid the need to take a stab at something at <20 percent success rate. You need a two point conversion at some point. You may as well try to get it earlier. It also didn't seem to deter the team like you all are saying because they still came down and got the td. And they did it with enough time that if they had recovered a second onside kick they had time to get in field goal range because they knew they needed another possession so they did it with more urgency. Where as if we score the second td with 10 seconds and fail the two point conversion We don't have the same luxury.

Edit for spelling.

Also to say regardless of our differing opinion Go Browns

Agree on the "Go Browns"...

While I admire our continuing to fight after failing to convert the 2-pt try, I doubt there's a player on the team that was not crestfallen when it failed. At that point... still down by 9... they knew... I knew... you knew... that we had no shot at winning this game.

Please explain how kicking the extra point removed the option of Kicking deep when the situation had we converted the 2-pt try still left us a TD behind.

Agree on the "Go Browns"...

While I admire our continuing to fight after failing to convert the 2-pt try, I doubt there's a player on the team that was not crestfallen when it failed. At that point... still down by 9... they knew... I knew... you knew... that we had no shot at winning this game.

Please explain how kicking the extra point removed the option of Kicking deep when the situation had we converted the 2-pt try still left us a TD behind.

It doesn't completely, eliminate the option. It just makes it harder because you know even if you get the stop and get the score but then fail the two point conversion you potentially lost a lot of time because you gave them a possession and spent timeouts but still need an onside after the failed conversion. Where as if they got that first two point conversion then they can kick knowing they get a stop and It only takes a touchdown and extra point. I mean in that circumstance you are planning and thinking in the back of your head you won't get the two point conversion which obviously is the wrong line of thinking. I guess in my mind and why I can see why Hue made the decision and I agree with it is because you need a two point conversion so get it as soon as you can. To an extent. I don't like chasing points in the first three quarters.

The Poyer hit was damn scary. League wants to stop head hits but that defenders shoulder pad hit Poyer square in the chest, not leaving anywhere else for his helmet to go but head. At that speed, just damn crazy $$..Good Luck, Jordon (contract season too)

It doesn't completely, eliminate the option. It just makes it harder because you know even if you get the stop and get the score but then fail the two point conversion you potentially lost a lot of time because you gave them a possession and spent timeouts but still need an onside after the failed conversion. Where as if they got that first two point conversion then they can kick knowing they get a stop and It only takes a touchdown and extra point. I mean in that circumstance you are planning and thinking in the back of your head you won't get the two point conversion which obviously is the wrong line of thinking. I guess in my mind and why I can see why Hue made the decision and I agree with it is because you need a two point conversion so get it as soon as you can. To an extent. I don't like chasing points in the first three quarters.

Stop_sign.gif

The Poyer hit was damn scary. League wants to stop head hits but that defenders shoulder pad hit Poyer square in the chest, not leaving anywhere else for his helmet to go but head. At that speed, just damn crazy $$..Good Luck, Jordon (contract season too)

it sucks as all the improvement he has shown since being a udfa

I am saying FIRE HUE. And what time will prove again? That Ghoolie was CORRECTAMUNDO.

Hue must go.

Except Hue didn't cost us shit and you know it, you just don't like him. You might be right but fuck it if he really does suck i'll let him suck for a couple years while our players remain in a constant environment. In a few years reevaluate...sometimes coaches also grow it's part of the game. If he's legitimately a problem in a few years than fire him for someone who's gonna come in and by and large run the same systems. No more scheme changes. Even you have to agree that the Browns are never going to build anything if we're changing schemes every 1-2 years.

Archived